PFF rankings - interesting | Page 4 | The Boneyard

PFF rankings - interesting

Reaction Score
Team rankings at this point can be deceptive....because of numbers of commits and teams that will get commits later in the cycle.

UConn currently #82 in 247 and #59 in Rivals...

What I like to look at is the average commit rating...

Rivals (on a 5 star basis) has the average Husky commit at 2.21 with 14 total commits. 247 lists 11 commits....(discrepancies in commits).

Boise State (as a Rivals comparison) has 12 commits and a 2.50 average.
I agree. However, Edsall is a master evaluator. He always gets better players than the rankings would indicate. He’s put a ton of nobodies in the NFL. For us, this is a great class.

Reaction Score
The problem I have with Z is simply mechanics. If they are fixed, he’ll be a gamer. I don’t think a 400 yard game means squat when a guy has poor mechanics. It was just a hot streak. Its like when a terrible basketball player makes 5 three pointers in a game. He’s just on, he’s not good, and it isn’t going to happen often. His motion needed to be fixed to be a reliable QB. I hope it is fixed, but it isn’t easy to do.

Krajewski seems to have the tools and body for the job. I know nothing about Micah Leon’s potential.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
He’s definitely in the mix, the question is health. So far he has been hampered by injuries.
Has he had injuries beyond 2019? Does he have any issues currently?

Reaction Score
The problem I have with Z is simply mechanics. If they are fixed, he’ll be a gamer. I don’t think a 400 yard game means squat when a guy has poor mechanics. It was just a hot streak. Its like when a terrible basketball player makes 5 three pointers in a game. He’s just on, he’s not good, and it isn’t going to happen often. His motion needed to be fixed to be a reliable QB. I hope it is fixed, but it isn’t easy to do.

Krajewski seems to have the tools and body for the job. I know nothing about Micah Leon’s potential.
I certainly don't know who the QB leader presently is or how much one has improved their physical well being, technique, or understanding of the playbook, but...., a moment for me was when Krajewski, was it at UCF(?), and it may have been in "garbage time", with, what was it, a couple of broken ribs we found out later, hung in there and threw for a couple of TDs. It was a very small window perhaps but for me personally his body language and his throws made me think "perhaps this is our QB..."
May the best man win.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Has he had injuries beyond 2019? Does he have any issues currently?
I forget the specifics but he was limited in 2019 because of injuries and again this spring 2021 where had he been available I think the staff might have wanted to start the three man contest for this fall. Instead he didn’t really have a chance at snaps this spring.

Reaction Score
False False False. I will only respond to the first half of this- whatever you want to call it- because to suggest that somehow you’re responsible for initiating talks regarding pay raises is absurd.

As far as recruiting, the only thing that has changed is that the classes of 2018-2021 are helping with the recruiting. It all started with getting his first full class in which consisted of families and recruits that they built relationships with- People that wanted to be here and help rebuild. Once he landed that class, Randy now had a bunch of deputized recruiters that gave subsequent recruits and families a far more positive experience and sold the program better than any coach could.

This factor you are grossly understating. It’s actually criminal. Recruits and their families HEAR THE SAME MESSAGE FROM EVERY COACH ON EVERY VISIT- Yes, the ground game via Corey and Co gets the family to the door but it’s the visit that seals the deal- after the dinner and tour it’s when the recruit goes and hangs with the host and the players for the night. Then when said recruit comes back to the hotel to speak with the parents it’s that conversation that goes a long way in the decision. And that’s the magic pill in recruiting- what is the tone of that conversation with the recruit and family. It’s that first question- So how did you feel around the guys???? THE GUYS i.e PLAYERS!!!!!! Did they trash the program, sound lukewarm about their experience when asked by the recruit? Was it only a trip filled with trying to throw women at the recruit, i.e hot sauce him (which usually has a negative effect). That’s what it’s all about and will always come down to- how do the current players feel about where they are. These players, most of them I should say, RESPECT COACH EDSALL- and speak highly of him during these visits

Throw in the facilities, academics, schedule and the ability to play early and that’s the cause of this recruiting momentum. 2022 has been great because they were able to bring the recruits in for visits during the summer where the campus and facility tour was much more palatable to the Floridians and Texans. And that was due to Covid and not some pivot.

I know none of this will change your shtick and you will continue to come on here spewing misleading and self aggrandizing information. But whatever. It’s exhausting
Again, I have cited the current players helping recruiting and the process you cite is well known and nothing new. It’s not driving the change in results because it’s what we have been doing. Are we doing it marginally better now that some of the disgruntled players have left, sure thing. But, all these recruits talk about Corey building a daily communication relationship early on as one of the key factors. The Official Visit while important is really more of a closing than anything resembling a grand “Pivot”. By the visit the relationships have already been established. While some of the old, tried and true principles of recruiting remain unchanged; using a 1980’s - 1990’s approached without significant change is doomed to failure.
Again, my one best argument in support of my position, is: Look at the results and who is cited by the customers (recruits) as driving them?
As for my putting the pay raise issue up front and center. I am doing it for two reasons: 1) It is deserved. 2) Due to the hangover from The Ethics Commission, realistically it must be done organically and can not be initiated through the usual process. I encourage everyone to support it, rather than running Corey down or minimizing the great value he has added.
I recognize there are more than a few traditionalists on this board who think things were fine the way things were with just some work harder or incremental improvement tweaks necessary. No disrespect to anyone, but the change we needed was much more significant. Again, Chief hasn’t taken any credit for this change. In fact, I have stated to give it all to the staff/players. When things are successful there’s plenty of credit to go around and be shared.
Now back to the pay raise. It’s time and well deserved.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Clown Conancon2019 GIF by Team Coco

Reaction Score
Interesting that Boyle was grossly mismanaged, but Zergiotis is a lost cause in your eyes. Z looked miles ahead of Boyle in my opinion.

I’m not even saying he’ll be a good QB. Who knows. But it’s not fair to say he won’t get better with some development.
If you don’t let the kids make mistakes and manage the game to zero errors, they can’t get better and it deleverages their talent. But, if they can’t see field well, then you have a QB that is limited. Zerg doesn’t see the field well IMO and as a result super fast read professions and accuracy are at a premium. He has not been accurate. I’d like to see K get more reps.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks the "pivot" wasn't so closely timed as to our independence isn't paying attention. Better schedule, less negative recruiting - this isn't rocket science.

Anyone clueless enough to lecture football fans on 11:11 kickoffs, and then claiming we all don't know what we're talking about when proving him wrong, should probably stop lecturing.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Let’s try to fix this for some of the causal fans.

1) Corey is the same guy today as he was at the start of the 2.0 era. He didn’t learn some recruiting formula from MBB last summer.
2) Staff Continuity; very helpful to the process.
3) Relationship building; takes years in football- especially when your program is trying to rebuild its image with the football community.
4) Independent schedule; some said it was the beginning of the end; those people were wrong, your pivot back to UConn football is welcome.
5) Skipping 2020; also said to be the beginning of the end and yet here we are with below average off season turnover and 14 commits for 2022.
6) Culture; Hornet nailed the situation - the sour kids are gone and that is extremely important for these visits and changing the vibe.
7) Matt King; The guy is having an impact as the S&C coach. What kid wouldn’t want to play for him, especially after seeing the early results of the 2020 offseason.
8) Fan involvement; no one on this board has anything to do with this - it’s all on Edsall and his team. So some of us need to stop pretending we help make things happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let’s try to fix this for some of the causal fans.

1) Corey is the same guy today as he was at the start of the 2.0 era. He didn’t learn some recruiting formula from MBB last summer.
2) Staff Continuity; very helpful to the process
3) Relationship building; takes years in football- especially when your program is trying to rebuild its image with the football community
4) Independent schedule; some said it was the beginning of the end; those people were wrong, your pivot back to UConn football is welcome
5) Skipping 2020; also said to be the beginning of the end and yet here we are with below average off season turnover and 14 commits for 2022.
6) Culture; Hornet nailed the situation - the sour kids are gone and that is extremely important for these visits and changing the vibe.
7) Matt King; The guy is having an impact as the S&C coach. What kid wouldn’t want to play for him, especially after seeing the early results of the 2020 offseason
8) Fan involvement; no one on this board has anything to do with this - it’s all on Edsall and his team. So some of us need to stop pretending we help make things happen.
This idea that a young assistant coach is the same guy he was 3-4 years ago is nonsense. I get how your character may not change and that can be a good thing but to see zero growth or development in our young staff - if true - would be an indictment of them and the head-coach, especially after a 6-30 record.
Fortunately, there has been growth in these young coaches and the Great Pivot is real. I only emphasize Corey because of the BS he had to go through with the Ethics Board and the discounted payrate he had to accept for political reasons. He is also the assistant name which pops up with recruits the most and he is uniquely in position to nudge his dad to make some necessary changes, consciously or not. Once we put the Corey debate to bed, I will focus on the contributions of some of the other assistants.

Chief agrees about the Independent schedule, but that’s not automatic - it’s what we make of it. The incomplete future schedule has both good and bad years ahead. The schedule factor will be how we fill those games in and playing games in recruiting target geographic locations (FL, TX, PA).

You seem stuck on who does or doesn’t get credit. That’s never been Chief’s style and it’s not how things get done. Chief always takes the approach of crediting the staff and players.

As far as not playing last season, I thought the reason given for that was Covid related health concerns? Am I wrong? I did not hear anyone say, we need to cancel the season because we are unprepared or our guys need to spend another year in the weight room to be competitive. As for the reason given, it’s unclear to me if our infection rate was better or worse than the average of the colleges that played? I believe at one point our infections were in the mid or upper twenties and still counting.

I don’t think our recruiting Pivoted because Randy had to rebuilt his relationship in the football community. He’s been coaching for almost 40 years, I don’t see how missing games during Covid partial lockdown impacts his reputation with the football community one way or another.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You seem stuck on who does or doesn’t get credit.
Chief, irony alert.

Glad to see casual football fans are starting to get it. Let us know if there is more you need help with. Welcome back to UConn football.

Could you imagine this board if everyone posted with a bizarre air of self aggrandizement?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks the "pivot" wasn't so closely timed as to our independence isn't paying attention. Better schedule, less negative recruiting - this isn't rocket science.

Anyone clueless enough to lecture football fans on 11:11 kickoffs, and then claiming we all don't know what we're talking about when proving him wrong, should probably stop lecturing.
Back in second grade, Chief was taught if the game is on TV live at 12:11pm EST, the kickoff time in Missouri is 11:11am CST. Fire that teacher? I think not.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You seem stuck on who does or doesn’t get credit. That’s never been Chief’s style and it’s not how things get done. Chief always takes the approach of crediting the staff and players.

I have only brought Corey's name up in response to you. You are the poster that has tried to steer this discussion to Corey over and over again. Do I really need to go flag the posts for you?

The only thing I am fixated on his correcting this nonsense that you started a few weeks ago insinuating that the staff had learned from Hurley how to recruit.

Have you ever paused to consider that a program with 85 scholarship players and about 20 walk ons has a ton more insiders than the little basketball world? You can't post as much nonsense here.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Back in second grade, Chief was taught if the game is on TV live at 12:11pm EST, the kickoff time in Missouri is 11:11am CST. Fire that teacher? I think not.

My god, you still don't get it. The game you're infamous for being 10000000% wrong on was in East Hartford. You can't wiggle out of this - you were flat out stupidly wrong, and STILL refuse to admit it. Amazing.

Reaction Score
I think Exit 4 left off one key component ... and it is the Money Ball component that seems to be in every sport.

In the back closet, the analyst is working to the bone. Ryan Steinberg. He has been with Randy Edsall ... and around Corey ... for 12-15 years. With Petrarca, Chapman, Carrezola, Bahr ... and Coach Mike Z. That's the totally different element than 2004. Steinberg - I think - is vetting tons of video and keeping the relationship medium open throughout areas that we recruit. Coordinating with the 4 - 6 younger coaches (not to say that vet players aren't a big part) ... and off we go. Corey Edsall the star? I bet internally they know that Aaron Smith & Dottin-Carter & Weiss have cred. But this is all about the better Team through analytics of Billy Beane too.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think Exit 4 left off one key component ... and it is the Money Ball component that seems to be in every sport.

In the back closet, the analyst is working to the bone. Ryan Steinberg. He has been with Randy Edsall ... and around Corey ... for 12-15 years. With Petrarca, Chapman, Carrezola, Bahr ... and Coach Mike Z. That's the totally different element than 2004. Steinberg - I think - is vetting tons of video and keeping the relationship medium open throughout areas that we recruit. Coordinating with the 4 - 6 younger coaches (not to say that vet players aren't a big part) ... and off we go. Corey Edsall the star? I bet internally they know that Aaron Smith & Dottin-Carter & Weiss have cred. But this is all about the better Team through analytics of Billy Beane too.
Hey man, don't put me in the camp of giving anyone short credit. They are all getting it done.

Reaction Score
hmmm ...

It was an addition to your list; not criticism

Reaction Score
Again, I have cited the current players helping recruiting and the process you cite is well known and nothing new. It’s not driving the change in results because it’s what we have been doing. Are we doing it marginally better now that some of the disgruntled players have left, sure thing. But, all these recruits talk about Corey building a daily communication relationship early on as one of the key factors. The Official Visit while important is really more of a closing than anything resembling a grand “Pivot”. By the visit the relationships have already been established. While some of the old, tried and true principles of recruiting remain unchanged; using a 1980’s - 1990’s approached without significant change is doomed to failure.
Again, my one best argument in support of my position, is: Look at the results and who is cited by the customers (recruits) as driving them?
As for my putting the pay raise issue up front and center. I am doing it for two reasons: 1) It is deserved. 2) Due to the hangover from The Ethics Commission, realistically it must be done organically and can not be initiated through the usual process. I encourage everyone to support it, rather than running Corey down or minimizing the great value he has added.
I recognize there are more than a few traditionalists on this board who think things were fine the way things were with just some work harder or incremental improvement tweaks necessary. No disrespect to anyone, but the change we needed was much more significant. Again, Chief hasn’t taken any credit for this change. In fact, I have stated to give it all to the staff/players. When things are successful there’s plenty of credit to go around and be shared.
Now back to the pay raise. It’s time and well deserved.
Guy, the approach has been the same since Randy and Co returned. You know what that approach is? ONE UNIFIED MESSAGE. Like I stated in an earlier post Randy has all coaches and players singing the same song right now. He got rid of the coaches and players either actively or passively that weren’t going to show solidarity when wooing recruits and their families.

You’d be surprised how keenly aware families are at catching differing messages during the process. That’s a huge red flag and unless the kid is making his decision independent of what mom or dad thinks (there a few like that) will put that program at the bottom of the list. Randy has been saying this since his return- heck he even said it in his latest article (paraphrasing) “This is who we are, this is what we have to offer and this is what we can do for you all.” When everyone is singing the same tune it creates the “no bs” air around the program.

UConn has been offering kids in the same areas since Randy returned and the same message has been disseminated. Again, no pivot. Just a domino effect when you get one class of kids and families that believe in your vision and can see how they fit into that.

The only pivot that occurred has been your narratives from two years ago til now. You tried to create an air of instability within the program, mutiny amongst the players and coaches, ineptitude and out of touch nature with Randy and basically surmised that a decent recruit wouldn’t touch this program with a ten foot pole. What you failed to see and should have dubbed this all was The Great Purge….Again, success or failure will always depend on how you develop what you get and that remains to be seen. But stop trying to bs people on this board man. It’s truly unbecoming

Reaction Score
If there is a major Pivot...it will need to be more than just improving the record from the last two seasons, it will eventually be having winning seasons..and being seen as a good football team.

It will not happen in one year.

But, if there is not steady improvement, momentum gets lost....

The record in 2023 will be the scorecard that will define the Pivot....as a major turning point or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom