PFF rankings - interesting | Page 6 | The Boneyard

PFF rankings - interesting

Reaction Score
I said a long while back that there were 2 options for rebuilding. 1 I’d go the JUCO/Portal route which can work short term. If you are a younger coach looking to move up, it absolutely is the way to go. Win 9-10 games your 2nd year and you could well be the next head coach at Syracuse or Kansas. Option 2 was Edsall’s way of blowing it all up. The hope is that it is long term viable. And with a competent successor it can be. It is easier if you are an older guy like Edsall who isn’t chasing his next job.

in the Northeast?

Name one Program that grabbed Transfer + JUCO and jumped that quick?

Buffalo has done well ... Al Golden at Temple then to Matt + BC guy ... or even Schiano. There is nothing like what you are suggesting at the FBS level. No Maryland no Penn State no Pitt ... none. Could it happen at Memphis or SMU for instance: different dynamic and structure of JUCO and nearby talent.

my thought is you are dreaming. And I would now put Leipold and Schiano above the Edsall years in procurement strategy. Each was 2-4 years

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
In every offseason of the 2.0 era Edsall’s young staff has been on a lot of juco and portal guys, albeit without great success. Thing is Randy, won’t promise too many portal guys a position and many - frankly, don’t want to portal to a “challenged” program like ours and also have to earn the job. If you have to earn a job second time around might as well go to a winner. Plus, our academics are not easy like some places further limiting our portal options.

So if we turn the corner this fall and play some decent ball, I hope our prospects in the portal market improve next winter along with the regular HS recruiting uptick. History shows Randy does like a good portal /transfer QB. And we will need a few holes plugged, there are always some surprises.

Reaction Score
Sure there is, maybe but I’m not sure going 4-8, 3-9 is that much better. But I think Edsall and Schiano have this model. Beamer did too.

Reaction Score
in the Northeast?

Name one Program that grabbed Transfer + JUCO and jumped that quick?

Buffalo has done well ... Al Golden at Temple then to Matt + BC guy ... or even Schiano. There is nothing like what you are suggesting at the FBS level. No Maryland no Penn State no Pitt ... none. Could it happen at Memphis or SMU for instance: different dynamic and structure of JUCO and nearby talent.

my thought is you are dreaming. And I would now put Leipold and Schiano above the Edsall years in procurement strategy. Each was 2-4 years
Um. K State made a living on it. Liberty last year was an example. Boise too. Buffalo under their previous coach. Historically that was the USC model for years. Of course it was a different world and JUCOs were more common in the west even without considering football. Lots of kids went to JUCO then transferred to major schools.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Um. K State made a living on it. Liberty last year was an example. Boise too. Buffalo under their previous coach. Historically that was the USC model for years. Of course it was a different world and JUCOs were more common in the west even without considering football. Lots of kids went to JUCO then transferred to major schools.
In the Northeast?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I believe K State is not discriminating on who they bring in. UConn is tougher to get into....now whether it should be for athletes, that's another question.

That makes the transfer model much tougher.

Reaction Score
Or.. there could be have more of a mixed approach that would have spared UConn football from completely devolving into the laughingstock it is today.

You mean to tell me there is no middle ground between getting a bunch of jucos and winning "9-10" games or going 1-11 as one of the worst teams in FBS history?
I’m not sure UConn the institution would have allowed Edsall to bring in a bunch of players with academic issues. Not saying all JUCO/Portal kids are academic liabilities but it would have been a tough strategy to implement.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I’m not sure UConn the institution would have allowed Edsall to bring in a bunch of players with academic issues. Not saying all JUCO/Portal kids are academic liabilities but it would have been a tough strategy to implement.

Never quite understood why UConn treats the football program like it's the Ivy league. I don't want kids with criminal records of course, but if we want to actually compete as an independent we need to grant admission to more kids.

Reaction Score
Never quite understood why UConn treats the football program like it's the Ivy league. I don't want kids with criminal records of course, but if we want to actually compete as an independent we need to grant admission to more kids.
I totally agree you on that one. Was just pointing out why I felt Edsall didn’t adopt the strategy you mentioned.

Reaction Score
I totally agree you on that one. Was just pointing out why I felt Edsall didn’t adopt the strategy you mentioned.
Edsall has wanted to adopt this since moving up to the FBS level in 2003. The university administration has shot down that idea from the get go.

Reaction Score
Edsall has wanted to adopt this since moving up to the FBS level in 2003. The university administration has shot down that idea from the get go.
That’s what I pointed out in my previous post

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think you do that as needed...not as a strategy. They needed any FBS talent in 2018...Edsall decided not to fill the gap with transfers. Which is questionable. But now that he has had a few recruiting classes...and the talent should be better...transfers shouldn't be needed.
One question is whether anyone worth having was willing to come. High quality transfers certainly help. Low quality ones don't and you have less time to coach them up.

So it may have been less Randy willfully tearing everything down, than his decision that finding quality but under recruited HS kids and coaching them up was his best option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom