PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually 3 open now unless u r expecting Gibbs.

I think he was considering he said we'd be losing 4 seniors. I count Omar, Nolan, Miller and _____? Unless I'm just forgetting someone

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I still wonder if there's late reclassification potential here. This is from last month's article about PSA's basketball team being absorbed by Woodstock Academy:

SYPCh3w.jpg

The "option to go to college" is obviously the telling quote. If he had that option last month, why not in September? Especially since he's supposed to be a real classroom achiever and had Ivy League schools knocking on his door.

I doubt he'd be ready to contribute at a high level this year, but I wouldn't - at all - be against getting him on campus early. It would help us space out our scholarships better, and having the extra body for practice or certain in-game emergencies couldn't hurt. At all.

Wondering if our insiders have any intel on this.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Maybe its just me,but he reminds me of a young montrezl Harrell in that mixtape.could be all the dunks.

Reaction Score
I still wonder if there's late reclassification potential here. This is from last month's article about PSA's basketball team being absorbed by Woodstock Academy:

SYPCh3w.jpg

The "option to go to college" is obviously the telling quote. If he had that option last month, why not in September? Especially since he's supposed to be a real classroom achiever and had Ivy League schools knocking on his door.

I doubt he'd be ready to contribute at a high level this year, but I wouldn't - at all - be against getting him on campus early. It would help us space out our scholarships better, and having the extra body for practice or certain in-game emergencies couldn't hurt. At all.

Wondering if our insiders have any intel on this.
A lot of kids push college off nowadays to be older, stronger and more ready to contribute right away.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
A lot of kids push college off nowadays to be older, stronger and more ready to contribute right away.
Yes. But a lot reclassify late, and we have scholarships open.

Reaction Score
Yes. But a lot reclassify late, and we have scholarships open.
If there is a no chance he can see the floor next year, I would rather not waste a year of eligibility just to have a body at practice.

caw

Reaction Score
If there is a no chance he can see the floor next year, I would rather not waste a year of eligibility just to have a body at practice.

Although if he is a serious student, red shirting could be an option? Duke has done that before.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. Injuries happen, and - again - staggering our scholarship load is a good idea. This past year is an example of what happens when there is too much talent concentrated in one or two classes, as opposed to spread out across all four years.

If Diarra is eligible and we're at 12 scholarships or less, I certainly hope we bring him in.

Reaction Score

Several of my daughters AAU teammates and friends did this. It was suggested she do the same. I felt her future was her education, so we passed. While she is doing very well, one year of an excellent prep school who have provided a solid academic baseline also.

I knew parents who kept there kids back in 5/6 th grade. It worked out for a few, but I think they would have been D1 players anyway.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
His teammate the 6'4 bouncy guard in 2017 looks like a stud .
Hamidou Diallo - the kid is going to be a stud. If there is a kid we should land its him. He's going to be real good, but may go underrated because he doesn't play on an EYBL team and usually most recruiting services salivate over these kids. He plays on the NY Jayhawks.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. Injuries happen, and - again - staggering our scholarship load is a good idea. This past year is an example of what happens when there is too much talent concentrated in one or two classes, as opposed to spread out across all four years.

If Diarra is eligible and we're at 12 scholarships or less, I certainly hope we bring him in.
As the saying goes, a bird in the hand...

I'd rather see us land him now than take the chance and lose him to one of the top P5 schools if he blows up even more than he's already showing.

I've only watched one clip, and not once did he put the ball on the floor. It wouldn't be a bad thing if he takes a year of prep and get plenty of PT and work on his body, handle, midrange jump shot, etc. I realize he's a big, and they doesn't need to handle the ball all too often, but it sure helps if your big can put the ball on the floor to create space for his shot. With that said, I probably still would prefer that we get him now than take a chance and lose him later. Other than not getting as much PT, KO and his staff can teach him all those things.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Reaction Score

I'd rather see us land him now than take the chance and lose him to one of the top P5 schools if he blows up even more than he's already showing.

I've only watched one clip, and not once did he put the ball on the floor. It wouldn't be a bad thing if he takes a year of prep and get plenty of PT and work on his body, handle, midrange jump shot, etc. I realize he's a big, and they doesn't need to handle the ball all too often, but it sure helps if your big can put the ball on the floor to create space for his shot. With that said, I probably still would prefer that we get him now than take a chance and lose him later. Other than not getting as much PT, KO and his staff can teach him all those things.
My thoughts exactly.

Best part of that highlight reel above, btw, was the quick outlet pass after the rebound. Kid seemed to have his head on a swivel after cleaning the glass, which I love.

Obviously it remains to be seen whether that was a one-time thing or a regular feature of his game. But I honestly can't remember the last time we had a big man who was comfortable throwing half-court outlets. Hopefully this kid is it.

Reaction Score
has anybody seen diarra in person vs high level nepsac front court? maybe @Ricker ? How is his frame and overall mobility/explosiveness? Better than facey?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Facey needs strength, but another problem for him last year is that he went from being seemingly high motor early in the season to being extremely timid and passive when conference play started.

Reaction Score
I wish I could say that I have seen him in person but I have not. Putnam Academy played at Hoophall but I didn't know they had anybody on the team we were following so I didn't pay attention. I've been kicking myself but just looked at the program and it was a different Putnam Academy from MA someplace and the roster was obviously not including Diallo and Diarra. So I just haven't been at a venue where that team was playing.

Reaction Score

I bet you would like to see Phil not put the ball on the floor.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Hamidou Diallo - the kid is going to be a stud. If there is a kid we should land its him. He's going to be real good, but may go underrated because he doesn't play on an EYBL team and usually most recruiting services salivate over these kids. He plays on the NY Jayhawks.

Wow, what a stroke! This kid can shoot and he just has that real smooth quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom