PF Kenny Wooten | Page 4 | The Boneyard

PF Kenny Wooten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This sport is only about what have you done for me lately, not a surprise to see kids exited about Oregon and not UConn.

We won a national championship when this kid was a Freshman. Literally 3 years ago. How many championships has Oregon won period. Where was our big time influx of getting recruits under the impression that it is a what have you done for me lately?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
We won a national championship when this kid was a Freshman. Literally 3 years ago. How many championships has Oregon won period. Where was our big time influx of getting recruits under the impression that it is a what have you done for me lately?

The bolded part is literally what I've been asking for years since 2014. People have been quoting how "good" our recruiting has been on paper since Ollie yet we never capitalized on the 2014 title. In fact UConn has never properly capitalized on its success, or else we wouldn't be in this position currently.[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score

UConn also won a championship in 2011.

Look at the classes since then.

2012: Calhoun, Nolan, Tolksdorf
2013: Facey, Samuel, Brimah

So, after 2014, they didn't capitalize in their first two classes.

2014: Hamilton, Lubin, Cassell
2015: Adams, Enoch
2016: Gilbert, Durham, Jackson, Diarra, Vital, Larrier.

I think you can make an easy case that grabbing 9 players in the top 100 over the last 3 years is indeed a good haul post 2014 championship. If they could have retained Hamilton, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Reaction Score
UConn also won a championship in 2011.

Look at the classes since then.

2012: Calhoun, Nolan, Tolksdorf
2013: Facey, Samuel, Brimah

So, after 2014, they didn't capitalize in their first two classes.

2014: Hamilton, Lubin, Cassell
2015: Adams, Enoch
2016: Gilbert, Durham, Jackson, Diarra, Vital, Larrier.

I think you can make an easy case that grabbing 9 players in the top 100 over the last 3 years is indeed a good haul post 2014 championship. If they could have retained Hamilton, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You could say that but I still had higher expectations after the national championship run of two in 4 years. We really couldn't land a top 10-15 guy a couple years in a row after that? Dham being the best at 17 I think it was. Jalen at 22. I know we came close with plenty especially in '15 (Stone, Briscoe, Newman) and in other years (Gabriel, Oubre, Bennett, Ledo, Dunn) but a national championship especially 2 in 4 and 4 in 16, to me says "we have done plenty for you lately" now come join us. Just can't believe some of the big dogs haven't gone our way.

Reaction Score
You could say that but I still had higher expectations after the national championship run of two in 4 years. We really couldn't land a top 10-15 guy a couple years in a row after that? Dham being the best at 17 I think it was. Jalen at 22. I know we came close with plenty especially in '15 (Stone, Briscoe, Newman) and in other years (Gabriel, Oubre, Bennett, Ledo, Dunn) but a national championship especially 2 in 4 and 4 in 16, to me says "we have done plenty for you lately" now come join us. Just can't believe some of the big dogs haven't gone our way.

1999 gave us Caron Butler and no one else in the top 20. That's the equivalent of Hamilton.
2004 gave us Rudy Gay and no one else.

Jalen Adams and Daniel Hamilton were stud recruits, no matter where they were ranked. Jalen unfortunately has not had much support, as UConn suffered by not bringing up another PG behind Boatright/Bazz. There should have been someone there. Kemba had AJ Price. Shabazz had Kemba.

Our recruiting suffered badly between 2010 and 2014.

This lead to the total lack of an experienced PG in Jalen's first year. Sterling Gibbs was brought in to provide that but it just didn't work out.

I just don't look at Briscoe, Ledo, Dunn as misses. Jalen is better than Briscoe, and Gabriel is still unproven.

Reaction Score

I think there is a pretty clear reason as to why the 2012 and '13 classes were weak, right? And we landed Andre and Deandre immediately after '11.

The recent classes have been good on paper. We shouldn't need more than 9 top 100 players to dominate the AAC and be a consistent top 20 team. Landing top 10 talent has never been the UCONN way. Guys with rankings similar to Gilbert, Durham, and Larrier have typically been the sweet spot for us and we have gotten absolutely nothing from them so far.

Reaction Score
Then you woke up and realized that we are now in the American conference & Jim Calhoun no longer is the coach....

Good morning & good afternoon to you.

pj

Reaction Score
Everything has to be perfect to reel in a 5* guy, they can go anywhere and every top program is recruiting them. Things haven't been perfect at UConn recently but as KO grows as a coach, they may get there.

In the meantime, we can have a consistent top 20 team the same way Jim Calhoun did it in the 1990s, by recruiting tough-nosed athletic coachable players who complement one another and have enough talent to make plays.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure we got DeAndre Daniels after the 2011 title, don't think anyone has mentioned that. He was a 5*.

We got some Drummond guy too... Didn't read the whole thread so apologies if I missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom