Pets (and RIP my dear Pepper) and your favorite pet stories | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pets (and RIP my dear Pepper) and your favorite pet stories

Reaction Score
16...that is awesome!! those are some might clean teeth for a 16 yr old dog....what's your secret?

No secret really at all. We make sure the treats and chew bones we have purchased were always USA and focused on healthy strong teeth but overall, she's eaten whatever we eat with her dog food.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We just lost our 17-year-old shih-tzu, Poncho, (see insert at left) and will miss him forever. There's no replacement for him so we'll never have another. Damn, this is difficult...

That's what my wife said when we lost Aldo. Two months later a neighbor had to find a home for their 12-year-old Aussie Shepherd due to a pending divorce. If we didn't take him in, he would've been sheltered & likely put to sleep pretty quickly as nobody wants a 12 year old dog. Had him for two years before he passed, then it was only another couple months to our current boy, Cisco, who was being fostered. We were ambivalent about him until he hopped in our car and wouldn't leave. Now my wife can't imagine life w/o a dog.

It's not like we forgot Aldo. He's got a small shrine with ashes on our mantle. But the other dogs have also brought joy. So I guess I'm saying that while losing a dog is difficult, having another lessens the pain. At least in our experience.

Reaction Score
As some of you know, the pug that is my avatar here is my actual dog.

We adopted him from the DC Humane Society when he was 9. He’s blind and has a chronic skin condition - and all that was listed on his little write up on their website. Nonetheless, I still remember exactly where I was when my (now) wife sent me the text that he was there and we rushed to the shelter as fast as we could thinking there would be a horde of people racing to adopt this old blind pug with expensive health issues (lol).

He’s had quite the life. He was rescued from a Puppy Mill where he was a stud in his younger days. His name at the time was “Twiddle Dee.” He was then adopted out and renamed “Balla”; however his new owners eventually abandoned him - which is what brought him into our lives.

He’s 13 now and I tell ya what, he is something else. He has so much personality and attitude but loves us (mostly) unconditionally.

We renamed him Ray Charles (Ray, for short) and while we haven’t bought the vet a new BMW, we’ve bought her a solid Buick. He’s been worth every last penny.

Here’s Ray - er “Guapo” - looking mighty comfy:

97F8F72B-5C96-4F84-AA94-3D8FA5A119DF.png

Reaction Score

We adopted him from the DC Humane Society when he was 9. He’s blind and has a chronic skin condition - and all that was listed on his little write up on their website. Nonetheless, I still remember exactly where I was when my (now) wife sent me the text that he was there and we rushed to the shelter as fast as we could thinking there would be a horde of people racing to adopt this old blind pug with expensive health issues (lol).

He’s had quite the life. He was rescued from a Puppy Mill where he was a stud in his younger days. His name at the time was “Twiddle Dee.” He was then adopted out and renamed “Balla”; however his new owners eventually abandoned him - which is what brought him into our lives.

I tell ya what, he is something else. He has so much personality and attitude but loves us (mostly) unconditionally.

We renamed him Ray Charles (Ray, for short) and while we haven’t bought the vet a new BMW, we’ve bought her a solid Buick. He’s been worth every last penny.

View attachment 45417

(Apologies for the screen shot...but the original pic was “too large” for the Boneyard, apparently)

Reaction Score
Our 12 year, nine month and 1 week old Wire Fox Terrier passed away 2 years ago. Below is a story I wrote after a hike sometime in 2005. Asta was the bomb! RIP my boy.

Subject: An Asta Story – Circa 2005

A True Story:

Once Upon a Time Long Long Ago (Last Monday). I took Asta, my feisty young Wire Fox Terrier out for a hike to a desolated area of the Blue Ridge (Shenandoah National Park). He loves to run free so on a Monday when I thought there would not be anyone out there for him to bother on the trail we went for a hike. I was sorely mistaken.

The day started with a 1 hour and 10 min. ride from Annandale, VA to the trail head (Little Devils Stairs). Asta tends to get car sick, that's barf not bark, so I put towels down in back seat and he was great until I got slightly bewildered (Lost). The trail-head is down a 3-4 mile dirt road and I took the wrong one so he barfed before he barked just upon arrival. Poor boy. I hope he grows out of that.

We finally arrive at trail-head parking and of course SNP maintenance was there grading and expanding the parking area so I had to find another parking option which wasn't very hard. I did, however, have to keep Asta on a leash until well into the woods as he was trying to hump backhoes and
bite dump trucks. Ah the wilderness - a great getaway from hectic city life!

Well we finally hit the trail and I get Asta off leash and boy does he have a ball. He runs 10-30 yards ahead of me and then comes back and runs 10-30 yards behind me. This trail gets very steep as it runs through a gorge, with many waterfalls, while crossing a good-sized stream over and over. Asta has not been in water before but has no fear. He jumped right in, well up to his neck; he was a little scared to go over his head. I can't wait to get him in the water and for him to learn to swim. Anyway, we are plodding and climbing for about 1 mile, Asta probably did 2-2.5 miles with his back and forth routine. All this as I am pondering and dissecting the important things in life such as "Do I want to stop at Wendy’s or Burger King on the way back".

We finally reach the top of the gorge near the ridge top. Asta is about 20 yards ahead of me and all of a sudden there is a loud crashing sound coming down the hill. Asta gets in his stiff Terrier Stance and does his Huff Huff pregrowl sound. Suddenly onto the trail about 10 yards in front of Asta (30 in front of me) a Large Black Bear comes crashing out of the bushes, stops and looks at Asta, who is barking loudly now, and then runs up the trail (away) followed by ASTA - THE GREAT WHITE BEAR HUNTER. Anyway, Asta is running up the hill chasing/hunting the Bear and I am running up the hill chasing/wanting to strangle Asta so he doesn't become a bear burger. And I thought Burger King sounded good? Well I wasn't going to catch either of them and my only recourse was to RUN THE OTHER WAY hoping Asta would not want to get too far from me. Well that worked. As I was running away from the dueling duo yelling Asta Asta he finally saw me and hightailed it in my direction. I got him on leash again and we continued up the mountain. After about a 1/2 mile I took him off leash again and we had no more wild incidents.

He slept like a baby on the way home dreaming of all you can eat bear buffets and I never did get to Burger King!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Christmas morning sixteen years ago we found our cat on the 13th hole of the golf course we lived on. We of course named him Bogey. He's all black, male, short haired, and big (22 lbs at one point). Pretty much the exact opposite of every cat we ever had (female, long haired, beautiful markings, and small). He had been thrown out of a car window and had road rash on his legs and side. He is by far the most lovable cat we ever had. He is the love of our lives and my best friend. Four years ago he was diagnosed with a kidney stone (it's larger than what's found in a human); we thought we had lost him then - but with a special diet he's been fine. Over the last few weeks he has started losing weight. The vet says his kidneys are only working at 30% or less. Now he's pretty much stopped eating, and you can tell he's in some pain. It's very close to the time to do the hardest thing any pet owner has to do. It's just so hard to let them go - and to decide when it's time. We know we only have a few days left with him....
I'm really sorry to hear this. I feel for you and dread when I'm in the position to make the same decision.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@Sky ball in the 70s my stepdad's parents had a wire fox terrier. You just reminded me of lil' Brandywine. I loved that doggie.

Reaction Score
@Sky ball in the 70s my stepdad's parents had a wire fox terrier. You just reminded me of lil' Brandywine. I loved that doggie.
Dove...Here he is on another hike. He was a trail dog!

Reaction Score
I'm really sorry to hear this. I feel for you and dread when I'm in the position to make the same decision.
Thank You. I guess we all know the day we take in a pet this day is coming. Our other cat lasted 21 years; we know that was not normal. We held on to her too long though, we wanted her to make it through Christmas - her favorite time of year. Now we are haunted by that and don't want to make the same mistake again. For a cay Bogey's size 16 years is pretty good, I know the last four years were a gift. He used up a few of his 9 lives with the last bout of kidney problems. Our vet is still holding out hope - so we are giving him appetite enhancer and nausea medicine hoping he will regain his will to eat. The vet thinks the renal food will help if we can get him to eat it. Right now we are hand feeding him. We still have a week or so I guess. Hoping for a miracle.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
So sorry for your loss. It sucks losing a loved pet. I am convinced that when we die, all our pets will be there to meet us at the gates.

Here is my bro Pumpkin chilling on my lap during a Mets game. Of course early in the season, the Mets were a boring team to watch as evidenced by Pumpkin's lights out attitude. My things have changed!
I hope you are right.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
View attachment 45409

I am so sorry travel man very sad and I know it hurts like we can’t imagine when it happens. All the others who have lost pets too hate hearing about it.

The pic above is my Amber who will be 16 next month. I got that from my wife and son on father’s day, they know it was better than the golf balls and shoes I got and it says it all it’s so perfect. I’m afraid of the day I will be on here for this reason because I will be an absolute mess. I cherish every second we have left as they bring so much joy to our lives that others can’t.

Sorry again and prayers to all who have lost their best friends!
What a great picture.

Reaction Score
Love animals especially dogs. Have 4 dogs (only one real dog in my eyes) 2 brussel griffons named Lilly and max, a yorkie named stella and 9 month old German shepherd named Zeus.

Had 6 chickens only 2 remain after nature claimed 4 of them. Just got 2 guinea pigs for my daughter birthday cause she wanted them and use to have a cat named Ollie but got rid around the time KO got fired cause wifey was allergic and it seemed like perfect timing.

Attachments

• IMG_20190621_203112.jpg
    IMG_20190621_203112.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have two cats, a brother and sister.

She's a hunter, and catches mice frequently. He tries, with no luck.

When she comes home and drops a mouse at the doorstep, he gets his mouse toy and drops it next to catch. The both look up, proud of their catch.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score

He’s 13 now and I tell ya what, he is something else. He has so much personality and attitude but loves us (mostly) unconditionally.

View attachment 45417
Are you trying to trigger @Fishy with that pic?

Reaction Score
Are you trying to trigger @Fishy with that pic?

Since we all are so good in changing subjects on threads how about them Mets? Aren't they the first over .500 in another thread a couple months ago?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Since we all are so good in changing subjects on threads how about them Mets? Aren't they the first over .500 in another thread a couple months ago?
Shhh!!! I don't want to jinx it. Yes, I predicted they would be the first among the teams in that thread to end the season above .500. Still a lot of games left; and unlike the last couple weeks, the next couple will have us playing against teams with winning records. Starting tonight. Fingers crossed!

Reaction Score
My boy was a big lab named Bogart.....a gun dog with great blood lines.

We were best buddies and spent many happy years walking through the woods. After
I retired, we walked every day just enjoying each other's company.

One day, in a new woods in a very rural area, a big pit bull charged out of the Bush and jumped Bogie....I waded in and that beast turned and got my calf, putting me down. I was holding him off my face but getting the worst of it.

In comes my lab...he doesn't know how to fight but he throws his body on my chest and the pit goes back to biting him. I picked up a branch and went cave man.

The beast ran off..I got Bogart in the truck and called home....my son and wife met me. My son took Bogart to the animal hospital while my wife ran me in to the ER.

The truck and car looked like an abbotoir. We both spent !omg hours together, side by side, on an old futon while we recovered. We went on to have more years walking in the woods...although I never walked without.a pistol.

It is sad that human lifespans and those animals that we love are so disparate.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We had a fish. He was one of those Siamese fighting fish that you see in small bowls at pet stores.

After some period of time living with us, he passed. We put him on a spatula and flung him into the pond. None of us could quite remember his name.

Then we went out for tacos.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We had a fish. He was one of those Siamese fighting fish that you see in small bowls at pet stores.

After some period of time living with us, he passed. We put him on a spatula and flung him into the pond. None of us could quite remember his name.

Fish tacos?

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Fish tacos? That would have been a nice touch.

Reaction Score

Fish, hamster, cat, dog, horse wouldn't matter to Fishy. If they can fit on a spatula and in the pond they'd all be treated the same. Maybe after a cat he'd hit Chinese food though.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

#post/handle

Reaction Score
Pet haters are funny.

Anyway, we had a cat (Scooter) that died in 2017. When our son was born, he freaked out the the point that we needed to use some glade plug-in like device that emitted pheromones to calm him down. Once he got past that initial shock, he was the kids' constant companion, particularly my daughter, whom he would snuggle and lick (like a dog). He would climb into her crib to sleep with her when she was a baby, and sought her out whenever she was upset.

About 8 months before he died, my daughter (then 6 years old) woke up screaming at about 1:30 in the morning, having had a nightmare and wanting me to lie down in the bed with her to calm her down. I told her that I would but wanted to go get a drink of water first. Got a drink, made a quick pit stop in the bathroom, and came back to find that Scooter had already taken care of things:

13620864_10210230724470902_6192535684400701401_n.jpg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Pet haters are funny.

Anyway, we had a cat (Scooter) that died in 2017. When our son was born, he freaked out the the point that we needed to use some glade plug-in like device that emitted pheromones to calm him down. Once he got past that initial shock, he was the kids' constant companion, particularly my daughter, whom he would snuggle and lick (like a dog). He would climb into her crib to sleep with her when she was a baby, and sought her out whenever she was upset.

About 8 months before he died, my daughter (then 6 years old) woke up screaming at about 1:30 in the morning, having had a nightmare and wanting me to lie down in the bed with her to calm her down. I told her that I would but wanted to go get a drink of water first. Got a drink, made a quick pit stop in the bathroom, and came back to find that Scooter had already taken care of things:

View attachment 45478

Glad plug ins to calm a new born. That's new.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom