Pets (and RIP my dear Pepper) and your favorite pet stories | The Boneyard

Pets (and RIP my dear Pepper) and your favorite pet stories

Reaction Score
My wife and I lost our rescue cat today, his name was Pepper. He was our king but also our baby boy. He was so curious, so brave, so smart, a tuna lover, a companion while I watched Uconn games or played videogames, a companion to Pam when she did her nails, watched netflix or when one of us cooked or washed the dishes. He never let my wife and I out of his sight (we would joke he was more like a dog, obsessed with us). He was a house cat but he was incredibly clever. In the attached picture, you can see the bottom pic is a few days after we got him, the top pic is just a few months later.

Sadly when we took in another little black rescue cat I think he got jealous or he felt replaced (despite our best efforts to show him all the love we could) and he managed to escape up the chimney and out. All of the other exits in the house were escape proof/cat proof but we missed the chimney. My wife and her dad, her friend and myself were looking for him around the neighborhood for hours. Her family property is very large/hills with tons of trees + The neighborhood is also heavily forested and this is a mountainous area so it was not easy, plus the rain and mud did not help. My father in law ended up finding him in the jaws of our guard dog and yelled at the top of his lungs. My wife who was near sprinted around the corner, I was further away but followed. He was dirty, you could not even see his white fur, we could see the bite marks, he was gasping/struggling to breath. As she held him in her arms he was struggling to hold on to life, could barely meow. Her friend is a vet, her father is a doctor but we couldn't do enough to help him.

The little black rescue cat has come to greet us, somehow I think she knows and is trying her best to comfort us.

Well, I want to make this thread to celebrate not just Pepper, but everyone elses pets. Please share your favorite stories. I have had quite a few memorable pets throughout the years: Calvin, Hobbes, Boinker and Buster. I am always amazed of the role pets play in our life and always cherish every last one of them.

I think my favorite story of Pepper is a simple one. As I said, he loves tuna. He quickly learned that the tuna was in the fridge and had a special meow and would scratch the fridge whenever he wanted it. But he would do it with my wife when I was asleep (she is an early raiser) and when I got up, he waited for her to leave (smoke or something) and would do the same with me. He knew he was only supposed to get it once per day but was clever and would try to play us.

Attachments

• pepper2.jpg
    pepper2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about your loss. A real tragedy.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My wife and I lost our rescue cat today, his name was Pepper. He was our king but also our baby boy. He was so curious, so brave, so smart, a tuna lover, a companion while I watched Uconn games or played videogames, a companion to Pam when she did her nails, watched netflix or when one of us cooked or washed the dishes. He never let my wife and I out of his sight (we would joke he was more like a dog, obsessed with us). He was a house cat but he was incredibly clever. In the attached picture, you can see the bottom pic is a few days after we got him, the top pic is just a few months later.

Sadly when we took in another little black rescue cat I think he got jealous or he felt replaced (despite our best efforts to show him all the love we could) and he managed to escape up the chimney and out. All of the other exits in the house were escape proof/cat proof but we missed the chimney. My wife and her dad, her friend and myself were looking for him around the neighborhood for hours. Her family property is very large/hills with tons of trees + The neighborhood is also heavily forested and this is a mountainous area so it was not easy, plus the rain and mud did not help. My father in law ended up finding him in the jaws of our guard dog and yelled at the top of his lungs. My wife who was near sprinted around the corner, I was further away but followed. He was dirty, you could not even see his white fur, we could see the bite marks, he was gasping/struggling to breath. As she held him in her arms he was struggling to hold on to life, could barely meow. Her friend is a vet, her father is a doctor but we couldn't do enough to help him.

The little black rescue cat has come to greet us, somehow I think she knows and is trying her best to comfort us.

Well, I want to make this thread to celebrate not just Pepper, but everyone elses pets. Please share your favorite stories. I have had quite a few memorable pets throughout the years: Calvin, Hobbes, Boinker and Buster. I am always amazed of the role pets play in our life and always cherish every last one of them.

I think my favorite story of Pepper is a simple one. As I said, he loves tuna. He quickly learned that the tuna was in the fridge and had a special meow and would scratch the fridge whenever he wanted it. But he would do it with my wife when I was asleep (she is an early raiser) and when I got up, he waited for her to leave (smoke or something) and would do the same with me. He knew he was only supposed to get it once per day but was clever and would try to play us.
Good looking cat. Sorry for your loss. You have to be a pet owner to appreciate how much they mean to us.

Reaction Score

Although this is about a dog, I send this article to anyone when they lose a pet that means a lot to them - any species.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry for your loss.
We have lost two cats in the last 3 1/2 weeks. Zoe, who passed on July 10, died in her sleep. She was 19 years old and looked like she was smiling when she was found on our pool deck. The weeks before she passed she acted like a kitten again. For years she hadn't done much but eat, walk and sleep. The weeks before her death she was extremely playful and would spring up and down our house or chase butterflies.
Silvie was put to sleep just over a week ago. We came home from church and she was struggling in our driveway. First, we though she had heat exhaustion because it was during the really hot spell. It turns out she had cancer of her gum or thyroid or both. I always remember when I had my old job and would come home. She'd be laying on the sofa. I would walk in, set down my briefcase, and she would run and jump into my arms. She was 13 almost 14.
They become family. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pets are better than people. Sorry for your loss.

I'd write about our dogs, but I could go on for pages. I'll only say that one of ours, Aldo, had blood cancer. We spent a small fortune for an operation to remove his spleen and part of his liver. Was supposed to live another six months, but decided to check out in six weeks instead on a Sunday night where there was no place to take him for euthanasia, so he died at home in my arms. I do not recommend that experience, as the vision of those last minutes keeps popping up at the most inopportune times...

Still, there was the time we got a strange call from security at a nearby mall. Turns out Aldo was window shopping there. He escaped our fenced back yard, walked about 3/4 mile, crossed a heavily trafficked road, navigated a busy parking lot, and somehow found a couple of open doors so he could go check out Macy's.

Reaction Score
My daughter had a guinea pig named Mary. On Dec 24th, I saw her limp in her pen. Picked her up and tried to see if she was breathing and I didn’t see any signs of life.

Put her in a newspaper then a garbage bag in the garage freezer so we could bury her after spring thaw.

Explained that she died to my daughter on Christmas Eve. She was probably 7 at the time.

Fast forward to 3 am. I wake up with this thought that maybe she wasn’t dead? Maybe she was just passed out and, come spring, I was gonna open that freezer and see a Mary that chewed through the bag and froze to death in the freezer.

The Deepster then got out of bed, walked out into the cold garage and opened the freezer. Opened up the bag and.......nope. Mary was dead as a door nail. Mary Christmas, everybody!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Couple of years ago my next door neighbors went away for a 5-day long weekend. Normally they ask us to look after their pets, but they sent their dog to daycare and their cat to a relative. They figured they left enough food and water for their guinea pig that it wouldn't be a concern, so they didn't ask us to check on it.

The pig didn't make it. Didn't smell too good either.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So sorry to hear about Pepper, Zoe & Silvie. RIP to them all.

I still don't have the words to describe my heartbreak when Wonton passed four-and-a-half years ago.

v5jOxZG.png

Cancer. Stupid cancer.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

I still don't have the words to describe my heartbreak when Wonton passed four-and-a-half years ago.

Cancer. Stupid cancer.

What about Aldo and Mary? Don't forget about Aldo and Mary.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
What about Aldo and Mary? Don't forget about Aldo and Mary.
I missed the Aldo story! RIP to him.

Screw that dumb guinea pig tho

Reaction Score

v5jOxZG.png

Cancer. Stupid cancer.
Sorry for your loss to. Cancer can be as insidious in a cat or dog as it can be in a person. 2 years ago we lost a cat named Harry to jaw cancer and that was after another of our cats died from a copperhead bite.
Everybody loved Harry. He as just cool. If you talked to him he would have a converation with you and just meow and meow back, but then stop until you said something else. He was black and white, but had short little legs and was quite large in the belly. The first time our friend came over he ran buy and she swore he was a pot bellied pig.
He died in the middle of the night in my arms less than a week after he was diagnosed. It's tough when the pass. 4 in 2 1/2 years, and we still have 4 cats who are getting older.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

That is absolutely heartbreaking and you have my deepest and most sincere condolences. I've always had a special relationship with the animals in my life, cats in particular. I've volunteered in a lot of shelters over the years and always bonded with the cats who everyone else gave up on. One of the happiest days of my life after my wedding day and the births of my children was the day when I was able to bring home a little orange and white cat who had been at one shelter for 14 years. She had radial hypoplasia, torticollis, lymphoma, and inflammatory bowel disease. Even the other cats avoided her like the plague. She ended up being the most loving, kind, and amazing pet you could ever imagine when she finally had a home to call her own. She died earlier this year and I don't believe that a day will go by for the rest of my life where I don't think of her.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I shared mine a couple years ago. Honestly I feel your pain. I won't share my story again. It would be a tough type. I had my best friend cremated. He sits in the shelf on our room divider, His ashes and picture. Sounds corny if you wish, not a day goes by that I don't stare at it.

Reaction Score
So sorry for your loss. It sucks losing a loved pet. I am convinced that when we die, all our pets will be there to meet us at the gates.

Here is my bro Pumpkin chilling on my lap during a Mets game. Of course early in the season, the Mets were a boring team to watch as evidenced by Pumpkin's lights out attitude. My things have changed!

Attachments

• 2018-05-13 21.42.00.jpg
    2018-05-13 21.42.00.jpg
    947.5 KB · Views: 88
Reaction Score
Christmas morning sixteen years ago we found our cat on the 13th hole of the golf course we lived on. We of course named him Bogey. He's all black, male, short haired, and big (22 lbs at one point). Pretty much the exact opposite of every cat we ever had (female, long haired, beautiful markings, and small). He had been thrown out of a car window and had road rash on his legs and side. He is by far the most lovable cat we ever had. He is the love of our lives and my best friend. Four years ago he was diagnosed with a kidney stone (it's larger than what's found in a human); we thought we had lost him then - but with a special diet he's been fine. Over the last few weeks he has started losing weight. The vet says his kidneys are only working at 30% or less. Now he's pretty much stopped eating, and you can tell he's in some pain. It's very close to the time to do the hardest thing any pet owner has to do. It's just so hard to let them go - and to decide when it's time. We know we only have a few days left with him....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Sorry for your loss. This is my best pet story...

Reaction Score
3B356DBB-33F1-47FD-9BF9-B2C07BA5729B.jpeg

I am so sorry travel man very sad and I know it hurts like we can’t imagine when it happens. All the others who have lost pets too hate hearing about it.

The pic above is my Amber who will be 16 next month. I got that from my wife and son on father’s day, they know it was better than the golf balls and shoes I got and it says it all it’s so perfect. I’m afraid of the day I will be on here for this reason because I will be an absolute mess. I cherish every second we have left as they bring so much joy to our lives that others can’t.

Sorry again and prayers to all who have lost their best friends!

Reaction Score
View attachment 45409

I am so sorry travel man very sad and I know it hurts like we can’t imagine when it happens. All the others who have lost pets too hate hearing about it.

The pic above is my Amber who will be 16 next month. I got that from my wife and son on father’s day, they know it was better than the golf balls and shoes I got and it says it all it’s so perfect. I’m afraid of the day I will be on here for this reason because I will be an absolute mess. I cherish every second we have left as they bring so much joy to our lives that others can’t.

Sorry again and prayers to all who have lost their best friends!
16...that is awesome!! those are some might clean teeth for a 16 yr old dog....what's your secret?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom