Petiti verbalizing contraction (Ross Dellenger article) | The Boneyard

Petiti verbalizing contraction (Ross Dellenger article)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This article was posted in Key Tweets yesterday but I feel like it needs it's own post.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sec-greg-sankey...J52YG7J1kv

From the article:

"In a few months, the Big Ten and SEC’s relationship has turned from frosty to warm, sparked by the leadership change from Kevin Warren to Petitti in the spring. What the future holds is somewhat unclear, but both Sankey and Petitti have expressed an intent to both accelerate NCAA governance and condense the amount of schools operating under a single umbrella.

“How do you take larger groups and make them smaller to drive forward?” Petitti asks.

Over the course of Saturday’s parade across Texas, Sankey speaks candidly and suggestively about this growing topic in college athletics: the long-discussed Power Four or FBS split from the NCAA.

Is it a solution for some of the legal entanglements? Maybe. Will it cause other issues? Probably.

But Sankey is reaching the point of exhaustion in the NCAA’s governance model, where the more than 350 programs legislate together despite drastically different missions and resources.

A member of the NCAA Division I Council, Sankey just returned from two days worth of council meetings last week in Indianapolis and he is “questioning the value of it,” he says. Non-football playing and FCS members have “too much influence” on certain rule-making committees, he says. Small-school votes continue preventing rule changes that his conference can afford."

Wow.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Breaking this up into two posts. This smells like a new division. In the article, Sankey does mention he does like March Madness, and I do believe there will be SIGNIFICANT political pushback if it is just a P4 or P4 + Big East division. I think compromises will be made and something like the following will happen: Enter the NCAA's new Premier Division (to be placed on top of Division 1). Including prospective moves, the new division contains 191 schools (including 31 non-football schools).

Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (18)
Big 12 (16) 17 if Gonzaga joins
Big East (11)
MW/Pac-12 (14) I assume Hawaii would make travel subsidy payments to join in all sports
AAC (15) I assume Army and Navy will bite the bullet to become all-sports members to stay in the top flight
A-10 (15) 16 if Charleston joins
WCC (9) 10 if Gonzaga leaves and two of Seattle, GCU, or Cal Baptist join
MVC (12)
Sun Belt (14)
MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)

Men's and women's basketball players and football players will be paid at least minimum wage. Schools will have the option to pay hockey, baseball, or softball players.

The NCAA tournament will reduce to 64 schools.
2 auto bids per league (regular season and tournament champ or top-2 regular season if regular season champ = tournament champ)
36 at-large bids

Football:
Premier Division A (111 schools)
Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (17)
Big 12 (16)
Notre Dame
UConn
AAC (14) including Army
MW/Pac-12 (14)
Sun Belt (14)

Premier Division B (49 schools)
MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)
UMass
Villanova
Butler
Georgetown
Valpo
Missouri State
Murray State
Southern Illinois
UNI
Indiana State
Illinois State
Drake
San Diego
Davidson
Dayton
Duquesne
Fordham
Richmond
Rhode Island

Reaction Score
160 schools is still too big and you're including some tiny schools in the Premier Division that have nothing in common with the massive universities and their 9 figure athletic department budgets that exist in the P5. Sankey wants to break away from such schools, not drag them along with the SEC and B1G.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
160 schools is still too big and you're including some tiny schools in the Premier Division that have nothing in common with the massive universities and their 9 figure athletic department budgets that exist in the P5. Sankey wants to break away from such schools, not drag them along with the SEC and B1G.
You need some smaller schools for Cinderellas in March Madness. If you get rid of the all of the small schools, you could run into anti-trust issues. If you get rid of most, you are fine.

Reaction Score
I will hilarious when the Purdues, Vandys and Rutgers of the world get kicked to the curb.

Reaction Score
Rutgers isn't going anywhere. They fit the archetype, large state university that sponsors football and is AAU. This isn't about the product on the field, and never has been.

They really don’t have a brand. And it’s about brands now.

People in New Jersey want to see bigtime college football. They don’t want to see Rutgirls.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They really don’t have a brand. And it’s about brands now.

People in New Jersey want to see bigtime college football. They don’t want to see Rutgirls.
Normally I would agree with you that people in New Jersey really don't care much about Rutgers. Anecdotally, you hardly ever see a big R flying anywhere, but near me there are at least 4 Husky fans that I'm aware of it due to flags on game day.

On the other hand, they have had good attendance this year at SHI(t) stadium.
IMG_0412.jpeg

Reaction Score
Normally I would agree with you that people in New Jersey really don't care much about Rutgers. Anecdotally, you hardly ever see a big R flying anywhere, but near me there are at least 4 Husky fans that I'm aware of it due to flags on game day.

View attachment 92022

They don’t need Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Breaking this up into two posts. This smells like a new division. In the article, Sankey does mention he does like March Madness, and I do believe there will be SIGNIFICANT political pushback if it is just a P4 or P4 + Big East division. I think compromises will be made and something like the following will happen: Enter the NCAA's new Premier Division (to be placed on top of Division 1). Including prospective moves, the new division contains 191 schools (including 31 non-football schools).

Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (18)
Big 12 (16) 17 if Gonzaga joins
Big East (11)
MW/Pac-12 (14) I assume Hawaii would make travel subsidy payments to join in all sports
AAC (15) I assume Army and Navy will bite the bullet to become all-sports members to stay in the top flight
A-10 (15) 16 if Charleston joins
WCC (9) 10 if Gonzaga leaves and two of Seattle, GCU, or Cal Baptist join
MVC (12)
Sun Belt (14)
MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)

Men's and women's basketball players and football players will be paid at least minimum wage. Schools will have the option to pay hockey, baseball, or softball players.

The NCAA tournament will reduce to 64 schools.
2 auto bids per league (regular season and tournament champ or top-2 regular season if regular season champ = tournament champ)
36 at-large bids

Football:
Premier Division A (111 schools)
Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (17)
Big 12 (16)
Notre Dame
UConn
AAC (14) including Army
MW/Pac-12 (14)
Sun Belt (14)

Premier Division B (49 schools)
MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)
UMass
Villanova
Butler
Georgetown
Valpo
Missouri State
Murray State
Southern Illinois
UNI
Indiana State
Illinois State
Drake
San Diego
Davidson
Dayton
Duquesne
Fordham
Richmond
Rhode Island
There is no chance that Sankey & Pettiti are having discussions about how to include conferences like the MWC & Sun Belt in their money grab plan

shizzle787

Reaction Score
There is no chance that Sankey & Pettiti are having discussions about how to include conferences like the MWC & Sun Belt in their money grab plan
They won't want to at first but politically and logistically they will need to.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
You can argue they don't "need" any one school, except perhaps for a half dozen marquee schools. But Rutty gets to come along for the ride. The fact that it's vaguely annoying doesn't make it any less true.
In my opinion, anybody that matters in football or basketball will make the cut. Anyone of value ($$$) in either sport will make it, and may save their conference mates as well.

I would not want to be the NEC, ASUN, OVC, etc.

Reaction Score

View attachment 92022
I would attribute these increases to who they play and how many opposing fans travel to the games. I admittedly haven’t watched a Rutgers game close enough in the last few years to see what percentage of fans at a home game were Rutgers fans, but it’s like when Michigan played at the Rent, they increased capacity, it was still sold out, and a large contingent were UM fans.

Reaction Score
You can argue they don't "need" any one school, except perhaps for a half dozen marquee schools. But Rutty gets to come along for the ride. The fact that it's vaguely annoying doesn't make it any less true.

Teams that are along for the ride dilute the payout. If they are allowed to come along they we get reduced shares.

Look at the ratings for these Purdue, Syracuse, Rutgers, Vandy games. Why do they deserve $100M?

You’re being really naive.

Reaction Score
Sankey is not shy about telegraphing what he and his Big Ten soul mate are up to...

"You're assigning all the legal and financial responsibility to a nine-member group that has a minority representation from the [power] groups that are generating the financial and legal realities," Sankey said earlier this summer. "It really is backwards."

He continued speaking about power conference influence: "That's our world. To assign decision-making authority to a room that is not invested the same way is long-term problematic. That's as direct and blunt as I could be."

CL82

Reaction Score
Teams that are along for the ride dilute the payout. If they are allowed to come along they we get reduced shares.

Look at the ratings for these Purdue, Syracuse, Rutgers, Vandy games. Why do they deserve $100M?

You’re being really naive.
Nope, I am being pragmatic. You are going to need a certain amount of critical mass to be able to set up a new autonomous group. It makes zero sense to kick people out of the Big Ten or the SEC, since they are the ones structuring the thing. Rutgers fits the parameters perfectly. They're not going anywhere. Now, Syracuse, Boston College, etc. They are at a little bit of risk because they are not in a power 2 conference.

By the way, who said the word "deserve"?

clint eastwood Deserve's got nothing to do with it. GIF

Reaction Score
Nope, I am being pragmatic. You are going to need a certain amount of critical mass to be able to set up a new autonomous group. It makes zero sense to kick people out of the Big Ten or the SEC, since they are the ones structuring the thing. Rutgers fits the parameters perfectly. They're not going anywhere. Now, Syracuse, Boston College, etc. They are at a little bit of risk because they are not in a power 2 conference.

By the way, who said the word "deserve"?

clint eastwood Deserve's got nothing to do with it. GIF's got nothing to do with it. GIF

Well. Even if that is true in the new paradigm they won’t be getting the same money.

There is no more free chicken.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well. Even if that is true in the new paradigm they won’t be getting the same money.

There is no more free chicken.
Eventually you may well be right, but in the near term people are pretty amenable as long as they're getting more money.

CL82

Reaction Score
UConn is out in a football sense.
If you read that article it appears to say that the cut off is all FBS schools. By that definition we would make the cut. It wouldn't surprise me if we got a dramatically reduced share though.

Reaction Score
This article was posted in Key Tweets yesterday but I feel like it needs it's own post.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sec-greg-sankey...J52YG7J1kv

From the article:

"In a few months, the Big Ten and SEC’s relationship has turned from frosty to warm, sparked by the leadership change from Kevin Warren to Petitti in the spring. What the future holds is somewhat unclear, but both Sankey and Petitti have expressed an intent to both accelerate NCAA governance and condense the amount of schools operating under a single umbrella.

“How do you take larger groups and make them smaller to drive forward?” Petitti asks.

Over the course of Saturday’s parade across Texas, Sankey speaks candidly and suggestively about this growing topic in college athletics: the long-discussed Power Four or FBS split from the NCAA.

Is it a solution for some of the legal entanglements? Maybe. Will it cause other issues? Probably.

But Sankey is reaching the point of exhaustion in the NCAA’s governance model, where the more than 350 programs legislate together despite drastically different missions and resources.

A member of the NCAA Division I Council, Sankey just returned from two days worth of council meetings last week in Indianapolis and he is “questioning the value of it,” he says. Non-football playing and FCS members have “too much influence” on certain rule-making committees, he says. Small-school votes continue preventing rule changes that his conference can afford."

Wow.
These BIgTen/SEC guys are the biggest Punks / Mafioso out there are .and deserve to be called out as such.
(I’m not on Twitter and if someone wants to repost have at it )
They are so oppressed by the NCAA because of rules seriously

1. You have your own media deal that pays each school in excess of $60,000,000 annually completely apart from the NCAA
2. You have access to 100% of football playoff revenue which Will be worth $1billion of which the top P schools get 80% and the G5 patsy’s get 20%
3. You annually get a disproportionate number of teams in the NCAA Tourney earning more units than your performance deserves
4 You still get included in the NCAA distribution of funds from that tourney despite having among the wealthiest programs in the country that just embarrassing.
5. You still expect the NCAA to fund non revenue Championship events where the your conferences are disproportionally represented .
6. You expect the NCAA to fund
Championships in non revenue football events like the FCS , Div 2 and D3 . Without which the sport of football dries up at the Prep Level and dies a slow death
and you somehow are the victim
i Would love to see your presidents and commissioners on the witness stand explaining your victimhood to the American people

Reaction Score
Breaking this up into two posts. This smells like a new division. In the article, Sankey does mention he does like March Madness, and I do believe there will be SIGNIFICANT political pushback if it is just a P4 or P4 + Big East division.

I’m not sure how you can read an article that says explicitly that FCS and non-football schools have too much power and that they want to cut them out and come up with a future state that includes 5 of the old D 1-AAA (non basketball) conferences. This is about consolidation of revenue.. Cinderella isn’t who they want the money to go too, they’ll craft their own (remember the discussion about Penn State or Northwestern trying to end their NCAA Tourny appearance drought).

They’ll get through the political opposition by not kicking schools out, but letting them opt-in… if they meet certain standards that make it cost prohibitive for non-power schools (I.E. must fully fund football for X scholarships comprising full cost of attendance plus X living expenses; must fund X sports and show X million in athletic expenditures). They’ll do it and also say they’re trying to level the playing field for disadvantaged schools who can’t keep up.

We’re already seeing that to an extent with the new D1 requirements. You want in, it’s $5M up front, 16 fully funded sports with annual spending of at least $6M on athletic grant in aid. Think that, but on a much, much higher level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom