Pete Roussel : Bob Diaco has retained only one uconn assistant | The Boneyard

Pete Roussel : Bob Diaco has retained only one uconn assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now says Foley is the one who will be retained, if I read that correctly?

Reaction Score
This is about what I expected. With maybe one other to possibly be retained. Cleaning house from top to bottom can hopefully be a good thing. One thing that stuck out to me was when Diaco said he wanted his lineman to explode off the ball and dominate the point of attack. Foley has traditionally had some pretty good offensive lines with some very successful running backs. I am assuming this is why he was kept and he knows the younger kids well as this will be the most inexperienced unit on the field next season.

Not to mention the miracle he performed to turn around the kids performance from the beginning of the season until the end.

Reaction Score
Hopefully starting over will be a benefit. From what I see with this is that coach D has a vision for what he wants on his staff. At least Foley was kept, we all know how great of an OL coach he is.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
OK. That explains this... I wasn't going to speculate what this was about but now we know :

Vll3t53.jpg

Reaction Score
Too bad, I wanted Wholley and Weist too. Glad to keep Foley. Hope Diaco has great coaches ready to join him.

Throw Day in there as well. I'm not surprised about TJ. It's one thing for Urban Meyer to keep Fickell around. But it would be very difficult for a young first time HC to keep the interim coach around.

A note about TJ........he should be applauded and the work that he did towards the end of the season was exceptional. A lot of people took the position that he shouldn't be the permanent coach as a knock against him. It really wasn't. I wish TJ well. He'll land on his feet.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
TJ really won me over. Made those last two games worth the trouble. He won't be here but he'll be fine. He showed that he is a top-notch coach to do what he did.

Reaction Score
I now wish someone else was named interim HC so we could have kept TJ onboard. I second that he should be applauded for the second half of the season (yeah yeah, mediocre/bad competition, etc., it still shows resolve), and wish that he could have stayed with the staff because I liked the things our offense was doing. You could see the routes getting better play by play, game by game, decision making getting better as well.

With that being said, I'm not overly bummed by this. In reflection, when PP came on board, he kept practically everyone and just added on GDL/Brown, only to have to trash him as OC and have what was a fun DC depart quickly. This is completely different from what just happened, a wholesale changing of the guard, and this will only add to the curiosity and intrigue for next season and going forward. I'll now have more reasons to jump on this board (as if I wasn't on it enough already), hunting for various nuggets on our upcoming staff moves.

Reaction Score
Tj would have been great to retain from the WR position. I liked how the true freshmen played by the end of the season. Wholley was a surprise too. A former UConn player with so much energy and love for this school and football team, plus the LBs throughout his time have been good-to-greatn but there was great talent too.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wish all of the coaches well and that they can land on their feet. I, too, will always be grateful to TJ Weist and his staff for keeping our players focused, motivated, and instilling a bit of confidence to head into offseason conditioning. I wish TJ could have stayed in some sort of capacity but understand that that could have caused division in the locker room and undermined Diaco's standing. That said, today's rumored news is not really a surprise at all. This program needed a CTRL+ALT+DEL from the past few seasons. Retaining Foley makes absolute sense because he was able to fix GDL's dumpster fire mess beginning in the first game after his firing. I thought it would take much longer to remove GDL's lasting stink from our program.

Reaction Score
This is truly going to be a whole new program, excited, can't wait to follow recruiting again.

Reaction Score
Tj would have been great to retain from the WR position. I liked how the true freshmen played by the end of the season. Wholley was a surprise too. A former UConn player with so much energy and love for this school and football team, plus the LBs throughout his time have been good-to-greatn but there was great talent too.

I agree with Weist staying as the WR coach, but maybe the OC Diaco brings in will have most of his offensive staff with him.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wow. I expected a little house-cleaning from BD, but I wasn't expecting the entire crew (save 1). I think very highly of Foley, so I'm glad he's on board. I suppose his philosophy of line play must fit with Diaco's, since Diaco has said the first order of business is to win the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. That also means that Hughes' philosophy didn't match (I'm not shocked by that one). I think I'm most shocked on the offensive side of the ball, since I think that Weist and Day did a really nice job closing out the season in terms of WR, QB, and play calling.

Well, I can't wait to see some of the new names that BD brings into the fold. He must already have many of them in mind and perhaps even ready to commit, if he has already let the current staff go. Therefore, time for me to get back on that refresh button again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom