Pete Roussel : Bob Diaco has retained only one uconn assistant | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Pete Roussel : Bob Diaco has retained only one uconn assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is why I like the idea of cleaning house. There were too many "leaks" coming out that P had his hand in everything when it came to playcalling, messing with the defense, offense, that coaches weren't happy with the interfering. Those were reports here from fans "close" to the program. True or not? I don't know, but if it is even slightly true, they gotta go. P did them dudes a favor by keeping them, if that is how they repaid him, shame on them. Then again, it is the boneyard, it was probably all bs, but when that stuff was being posted, it didn't sit well with me. Agree or disagree, if you don't show a united front to the team, its over. Reminds me of what upstater says about comittees. When you come out of the room, the decisison needs to come off as unanimous.

Bottom line, its Diaco's program now. He is going to run it his way, with his people. All aboard.

Reaction Score
Freaking 13 wins in 3 years.

A house cleaning was ABSOLUTELY necessary. Just plain dumb to think otherwise.

Just like all the people who thought it was a bad idea that Cersosimo left. Now all of a sudden, WR is a strength of the team, instead of the glaring weakness it's been for a decade.

Somehow people are getting the impression that there is only ONE group of coaches in the whole world that could have won the last 3 games. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

TJ was great the last few weeks. How about before that ? The offense was BRUTAL. People wanted him fired as OC, then again as Interim HC. 3 good games does not a career make.

Day was great the last few weeks. How about before that ? QB's couldn't get out of their own way for 2 years. I like what he did with Casey, but i'm sure there's someone else in the world who could have done it too.

Hughes was a BAD DC. Period. Every chance he got to be DC, the defense woefully underperformed.

The rest...were also around for the 13 wins over 3 seasons. I wish them well, but I wish them well ELSEWHERE !

Reaction Score
Probably all good coaches in there somewhere. Culture change needed top to bottom. Happens. I am sure that their contracts were not year to year, maybe withsome buyout stuff in there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ffcouty fan,

Is there ever an issue that is not completely black and white to you?

Other posters have covered this ground too. Cleaning house is a message that everything that came before completely sucks, and it is also a built in excuse if things don't go well.

The one thing I will say in Diaco's defense is that it looks like Weist didn't want to stay.

Reaction Score
I think if the decision really was Weist's, he made a bad one.

I think if he waited a year, got a seat on the Diaco express as the OC and the offense continued to show improvement as it did down the stretch against what will be a weaker schedule next year, TJ could have set himself up to get a better job/payday. What HC jobs are out there right now for him? I'm guessing lesser ones than would be out there a year from now if the offense and passing game in particular kept improving.

But again, who knows if BD would have kept him anyway. Best of luck to TJ whatever he does.

Reaction Score
Ffcouty fan,

Is there ever an issue that is not completely black and white to you?

Other posters have covered this ground too. Cleaning house is a message that everything that came before completely sucks, and it is also a built in excuse if things don't go well.

The one thing I will say in Diaco's defense is that it looks like Weist didn't want to stay.
I have done it. It works. The nice thing about football is that you have 9 month of off season to just do something like this; whereas, in business you have to keep making widgets every day. You can't stop for 9 months to retool.

Cleaning house is a message that , in fact, everything s going to be better than it was.

Unfortunately somebody has to take one for the team.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Waylon, when in negotiations there are few easier marks than a party who while at a point of weakness pretends to be operating from a point of strength. Somehow you believe that this is exactly what we should do, whether is be going independent in football or propping up our staff of assistant coaches after making a new hire. You can spend all the time and effort you care to trying to claim that we were really a good 3-9. One reality is the only thing that 98% of the outside world will hear (and believe) are that we were 3-9.

I imagine that Diaco had people in mind for both coordinator jobs from when he was interviewing at BC a year ago. The positions that would be available would be quite limited and he would need to be convinced that who he brings on (or retains) is willing and able to teach what he wants to run. He made it clear in his introductory presser that he wanted an offense that pushed the opposing defense around. He was able to see first hand what Foley's line did against UVA and I would wager heavily that he saw countless hours of film of what Foley's line did to the ND defense he was inheriting. I doubt that there were any defensive coaches that made any sense keeping and it is very likely that there was no match (in part as the OC position would not be available to one of the former coaches) for any offensive coach outside of Foley.

As far as Diaco being a first time coach, Foley has a wealth of experience and the possibility exists that one of the coaches he brings in will also have a wealth of experience.

Reaction Score
Question asked in a Pete Roussel Q&A tonight....some news tomorrow would be nice....

Comment From Steve
Any rumors of UCONN coordinators?

Pete Roussel:
Not yet, but I'm going to work on getting some info about UCONN tomorrow. I do know that Diaco didn't retain 3 grad assistants. I hate that for young coaches.

Reaction Score
Question asked in a Pete Roussel Q&A tonight....some news tomorrow would be nice....

Comment From Steve
Any rumors of UCONN coordinators?

Pete Roussel:
Not yet, but I'm going to work on getting some info about UCONN tomorrow. I do know that Diaco didn't retain 3 grad assistants. I hate that for young coaches.

Go back to post #40 for the name of which one he kept ;)

Reaction Score
Saw that article, great for Doug. Not so patiently awaiting news on the new OC! Can't wait till January! lol

Will be nice if Pete breaks something tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Should we be speculating about a landing spot for Boyle?

Boyle.jpg

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Nelson makes some good points. However, TJ inherited the staff from PP so we don't even know who TJ would have kept if he had gotten the job permanently. Cleaning house just to clean house is bad. Cleaning house house for reason of philosophy and vision is different.

Reaction Score
Probably all good coaches in there somewhere. Culture change needed top to bottom. Happens. I am sure that their contracts were not year to year, maybe withsome buyout stuff in there.
Unless things changed under WM their contracts were 12 month auto renewing at the end of December. I know thins because some of my friends played with former UCONN player and Asst Lyndon Johnson.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Lyndon Johnson, the president?

I know things because Ray Allen came to my work as a customer once.

Sorry, I'm not doubting your sources, just wanna be a smart ass.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Waylon, when in negotiations there are few easier marks than a party who while at a point of weakness pretends to be operating from a point of strength. Somehow you believe that this is exactly what we should do, whether is be going independent in football or propping up our staff of assistant coaches after making a new hire. You can spend all the time and effort you care to trying to claim that we were really a good 3-9. One reality is the only thing that 98% of the outside world will hear (and believe) are that we were 3-9.

I imagine that Diaco had people in mind for both coordinator jobs from when he was interviewing at BC a year ago. The positions that would be available would be quite limited and he would need to be convinced that who he brings on (or retains) is willing and able to teach what he wants to run. He made it clear in his introductory presser that he wanted an offense that pushed the opposing defense around. He was able to see first hand what Foley's line did against UVA and I would wager heavily that he saw countless hours of film of what Foley's line did to the ND defense he was inheriting. I doubt that there were any defensive coaches that made any sense keeping and it is very likely that there was no match (in part as the OC position would not be available to one of the former coaches) for any offensive coach outside of Foley.

As far as Diaco being a first time coach, Foley has a wealth of experience and the possibility exists that one of the coaches he brings in will also have a wealth of experience.

I don't feel like repeating the same point. I have hired a lot of people over the years, and whenever they say they need "their guys", they are really saying they want to manage people who are dependent on them. Everything about it says weakness. The best leaders can take over an organization, weed out the bottom 20-25%, and make it hum. Diaco fired the bottom 95%.

He might bring in Chip Kelly as OC and Mark D'antonio as DC. We shall see.

Reaction Score
I don't feel like repeating the same point. I have hired a lot of people over the years, and whenever they say they need "their guys", they are really saying they want to manage people who are dependent on them. Everything about it says weakness. The best leaders can take over an organization, weed out the bottom 20-25%, and make it hum. Diaco fired the bottom 95%.

So you are telling me that the performance of this team the last 3 seasons is acceptable to you? You have got to be kidding me!!! Take some time and google some coaching changes in any p-5 Conference the past few seasons then get back to us. uou need to put down the crack pipe and walk away Nelson!!!!!!

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

Funster put it very well with the following:

Cleaning house just to clean house is bad. Cleaning house house for reason of philosophy and vision is different.

The issue is that you are presuming that Diaco is cleaning house merely to clean house. I personally believe that he warrants the benefit of the doubt here, that he actually does have a mind and is capable of accomplishing something if he actually uses it.

What irks me the most iis this is one of many thousands of posts of yours where you attempt to stand on a soap box and tell the board "I am important!". The truth is that you have contradicted yourself so often that anyone who has spent any time in the real world sees through your act.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If I was important, I wouldn't be on a message board, arguing with you.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Acceptance is always the first step.

Great job!

Reaction Score

Point noted, but It's quite possible that the people he wanted to stay didn't want to, and the people he has released wanted to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom