Pete Carroll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pete Carroll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know the rules/penalty in the NFL for players who enter the field from the sidelines to enter an altercation? Noticed at the end that Lynch and #71 were on the field during the fray. just curious.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the rules/penalty in the NFL for players who enter the field from the sidelines to enter an altercation? Noticed at the end that Lynch and #71 were on the field during the fray. just curious.

No but it's nice to see Bruce Irvin hold up WVU's reputation for producing good citizens.

Reaction Score
OK if by "plenty of time to run 4 times" you mean they would have had to rush their asses off and risk a rushed mistake occurring, then you are right.

The lack of time is absolutely the reason why they passed, and it is exactly the reason why Belichick didn't call a time out. If Belichick calls a time out then the Seahawks can easily run 4 times.

I guess Jimmy Serrano knows more about time management than Belichick.

and I am not saying I like the inside pass call, roll the QB out and there is a decent chance he walks in. The inside pass with a short QB is too easily tipped by a lineman.

I'm actually going to help you out because you're so lost. Only in your fantasy world does a team not have enough time to run 4 running plays with 1:06 on the clock with a TO in your pocket.

Seattle let the full 40 seconds run off after the first down run. I know you think coaches are infallible but Belichick effed up by not calling a TO there. Only the idiotic call by Carrol bailed him out.

Reaction Score
I still can't believe the Pats pulled this one out...the trophy is coming back to Foxborough!

As an aside, in my 24 years on this earth, I can't believe the success of my favorite sports teams. I've seen the Red Sox win three World Series, the Patriots win four Super Bowls, UConn Basketball with four national titles (countless Big East championships), Liverpool winning the UCL in 2005 and the Celtics winning the NBA Finals in 2008.

Reaction Score
"It's not the right matchup for us to run the football," he said, "so on second down we were throwing the ball really to kind of waste that play."

- Pete Carroll, February 1, 2015

I'd fire him today.

Reaction Score
I still can't believe the Pats pulled this one out...the trophy is coming back to Foxborough!

As an aside, in my 24 years on this earth, I can't believe the success of my favorite sports teams. I've seen the Red Sox win three World Series, the Patriots win four Super Bowls, UConn Basketball with four national titles (countless Big East championships), Liverpool winning the UCL in 2005 and the Celtics winning the NBA Finals in 2008.
Congrats on being the ultimate front runner!!!

I'm a UConn, Pats and Mets fan. At least I have the Mets to to show I'm not a front runner and UConn football of course.

Reaction Score
"It's not the right matchup for us to run the football," he said, "so on second down we were throwing the ball really to kind of waste that play."

- Pete Carroll, February 1, 2015

I'd fire him today.
You'd fire him after being so close to repeat? I think you're kidding. It was a horrible call, but he has transformed the Sea Hawks into the franchise in the NFL, but I'm telling you anyone who was Pats fan when he was there will tell you, Carroll had a lot of those moments where he would get too cute with the play call. That is what happened last night. Almost like he wanted the reaction to be "could you believe the brilliant play call to win the game, the Pats were in goal line and when no one expected him to throw it, they did."

I'm curious to see if the hawks have any hangover going into next year. That was a kick in the nuts like UConn fans expect in conference realignment news.

Reaction Score
You'd fire him after being so close to repeat? I think you're kidding. It was a horrible call, but he has transformed the Sea Hawks into the franchise in the NFL, but I'm telling you anyone who was Pats fan when he was there will tell you, Carroll had a lot of those moments where he would get too cute with the play call. That is what happened last night. Almost like he wanted the reaction to be "could you believe the brilliant play call to win the game, the Pats were in goal line and when no one expected him to throw it, they did."

I'm curious to see if the hawks have any hangover going into next year. That was a kick in the nuts like UConn fans expect in conference realignment news.

Fire him, no. I might ask he undergo a pysch eval though.

Reaction Score
Congrats on being the ultimate front runner!!!

I'm a UConn, Pats and Mets fan. At least I have the Mets to to show I'm not a front runner and UConn football of course.

Front runner? I'm a Boston sports fan and a UConn alum...Can't call anyone who roots for UConn football a frontrunner

Reaction Score
I can't stand Seattle because I ma a Niners fan I believe Pete Carroll is a coward and a scumbag for leaving USC like he did. I can't stand the Pats because of their obnoxious Boston fans, the way Kraft screwed 0ver Connecticut, how Belichick believes that he is above the (NFL) law and is generally an ase and, of course, Tom Brady's hair and ability to whine every time somebody hits him.

That said, the game was a sleeper until the end of the 2nd quarter when the Seahawks gambled and went for the touchdown with 6 seconds left in the half to turn it around. They then owned the 3rd quarter before the Pats took over the 4th quarters. Very well played game by both teams. A couple of questionable calls; but, they went both ways and did decide the game (finally). The game should have gone down as yet another SB loss by the Pats after yet another insane/lucky catch by the opposing team. Instead, Peter Carroll tries to show the world how good of a coach he is and instead coaches himself out of a very likely victory. Hard to believe the OC made that call without input from Carroll. The Seahawks have a power running back who is one of the best in the league, is very hard to bring down (one on one, looked like only Vince Wilfrork could take him to the turf out of the Pats's front 7), and already had 100+ yards in the game. Not using him on 2nd and goal from the 1 is inexcusable. Throwing a quick slant in the box when it is obvious the other team will have 11 players in the same box is a sin. Can't blame Wilson as he threw the ball as well as he could. Just too much traffic. If the Seahawks wanted to get cute on 2nd down, should have rolled Wilson out to the right to spread the Past defense with the option of running it in himself or throwing to the back corner to their TE or WR, or if both options were covered, throw it way out of bounds in the back of the end zone.

By the way, made no difference; but, how did the refs not toss Gronkowski & several other players out of the game during the scrum as Gronk was throwing haymakers left and right. I thought throwing punches is an automatic ejection?

Reaction Score

Harbaugh did the same thing during the Niners Super Bowl with the Ravens in 2013. Don't remember the exact details as I had several drinks during the game and several shots after the game; but, they had the ball late in the 4th quarter and failed to get it into the endzone from inside the 5 with 3 straight incomplete passes (disregarding the potential PI on the last pass) while Frank Gore, another top 5 NFL running back, hung around in the backfield licking his chops after pushing around the Ravens defensive front 7 for 110 yards prior to that series.

Reaction Score
Pete Carroll is a genius who just happens to make some really terrible decisions at the worst possible moments.

Reaction Score
I equate that call with Lindsay Jacobellis's showboat move in the Olympics that cost her the gold medal. Just damned stupid!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I seriously have to wonder if the players really wanna play for him or if this carries over for awhile. I've read now that the players were openly ripping that call in the locker room after the game. I know it's the emotions of the moment but it's still gonna linger. One other thing, I'd be shocked to see Lynch re up with Seattle now.

Reaction Score
1999.2004.2011 said:
I still can't believe the Pats pulled this one out...the trophy is coming back to Foxborough! As an aside, in my 24 years on this earth, I can't believe the success of my favorite sports teams. I've seen the Red Sox win three World Series, the Patriots win four Super Bowls, UConn Basketball with four national titles (countless Big East championships), Liverpool winning the UCL in 2005 and the Celtics winning the NBA Finals in 2008.

Attachments

• image-3616391442.jpg
    image-3616391442.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 34
Reaction Score
TWEEET!!! pass interference def!!
Why didn't the ref under the goal post throw his flag?
Clearly the def made contact with the receiver before touching the ball.
Seeing the receivers feet leave the ground should have drawn the flag, or was it the greatest flop ever!
Isn't knocking a receiver off his route/running through a receiver, or making contact before the ball arrives a penalty?
If a flag was thrown the officials could have been able to talk it over, look at the tape and get it right.

Reaction Score
Seeing the receivers feet leave the ground should have drawn the flag, or was it the greatest flop ever!
Isn't knocking a receiver off his route/running through a receiver, or making contact before the ball arrives a penalty?
If a flag was thrown the officials could have been able to talk it over, look at the tape and get it right.

You're saying the INT was pass interference? The DB jumped the route and has as much right to the ball as the WR. That was textbook defense in my opinion. Not close to a flag.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

You're saying the INT was pass interference? The DB jumped the route and has as much right to the ball as the WR. That was textbook defense in my opinion. Not close to a flag.

Was also within 5 yards of the LOS.

Reaction Score

The refs put away the flags for the defensive secondary in this game, for both sides. IMNSHO, it was a marked difference from the regular season, and going back to pre-season. Remember all the crap about the contact downfield? This is something that somebody astute will eventually write about - not sure why they did that in the biggest game on the largest stage, but they did. They were consistent, throughout the game. There were several plays that should have drawn flags downfield with contact throughout the game, and would have during the regular season.

The INT at the goal line? Borderline, and I think good argument if the flags had been thrown earlier in the game, but the way it played out - no reason to throw the flag there.

The thing about the play call, is that if it works - it's a genius call, given that everybody would have been expecting the run play. If the run play is called and it fails - it's a terrible call, because everyone on the defense knew the run was coming.

I have a lot more fault with the QB, than I do the play call on that INT.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't as a play caller. Got to have thick skin, and big balls.

Reaction Score
The refs put away the flags for the defensive secondary in this game, for both sides. IMNSHO, it was a marked difference from the regular season, and going back to pre-season. Remember all the crap about the contact downfield? This is something that somebody astute will eventually write about - not sure why they did that in the biggest game on the largest stage, but they did. They were consistent, throughout the game. There were several plays that should have drawn flags downfield with contact throughout the game, and would have during the regular season.

The INT at the goal line? Borderline, and I think good argument if the flags had been thrown earlier in the game, but the way it played out - no reason to throw the flag there.

The thing about the play call, is that if it works - it's a genius call, given that everybody would have been expecting the run play. If the run play is called and it fails - it's a terrible call, because everyone on the defense knew the run was coming.

I have a lot more fault with the QB, than I do the play call on that INT.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't as a play caller. Got to have thick skin, and big balls.

That would've been the worst call in the history of football if they threw a flag on the INT. The defender beat the WR to the spot and made a play on the ball. That was textbook defense. It's taught that way.

Husky25, I don't think that it matters that it was within 5 yards of the LOS.

Reaction Score
That would've been the worst call in the history of football if they threw a flag on the INT. The defender beat the WR to the spot and made a play on the ball. That was textbook defense. It's taught that way.

Husky25, I don't think that it matters that it was within 5 yards of the LOS.

Butler got lucky on terrible read and throw by a short QB. My guess is that Wilson didn't even see Butler pre snap, because he threw the ball like he didn't see him. He led with the throw. If he throws accurately low and back hip, it's a catchable with the coverage and a TD if caught, with the DB draped all over him - and still a questionable flag. The ball placement is what made the INT possible - the contact is questionable and judgement call.

As for the play call itself - what I wrote before stands. It's only a dumb call, because it didn't work.

Reaction Score
Butler got lucky on terrible read and throw by a short QB. My guess is that Wilson didn't even see Butler pre snap, because he threw the ball like he didn't see him. He led with the throw. If he throws accurately low and back hip, it's a catchable with the coverage and a TD if caught, with the DB draped all over him - and still a questionable flag. The ball placement is what made the INT possible - the contact is questionable and judgement call.

As for the play call itself - what I wrote before stands. It's only a dumb call, because it didn't work.

Luck is the collision of opportunity and preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom