Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling): | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I agree. I think they're all hoping that a school will need to cancel because of a COVID outbreak that can't be waited out. Then they can all cancel and point to that school and that school can point to a legit, larger COVID outbreak on the team. That's the only way I see this happening without some kind of higher up intervention. Seeing how the higher up political people seem to think there is no issue with how COVID is going, I have a feeling there might be a possible return of CFB, at least to start....

Its probably just going to run its way to the absolute brink which will be the third week in Aug. Unfortunately that means about 25 more pages to this thread.

An interesting interim question to me is fall practice. Will these kids be permitted to practice? Practice needs to start very soon.

Reaction Score
On the news tonight there is a company in Finland that has developed a breathalyzer to detect covid-19. This really would be a gamechanger for restarting local K-12 schools, college, businesses. No waiting for testing results. We will see if it pans out.

Business is business but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Finland putting us a the front of the line for this. When you indicate that a country with historic geopolitical disputes has actually been absorbed by their enemy (Russia) it can be interpreted as highly disrespectful. They also have a leader that isn't exactly aligned with the "values" of our current Administration. Maybe nothing, maybe something.

Reaction Score
Both metrics are important. Deaths per million, Cases per million, and percent positive are all needed to figure this out. The top states for deaths per million are still mostly located in the Northeast.

But the death rate in the northeast was mainly high because it ran through the nursing homes. Something like 75% of the CT deaths were in nursing homes. Not that those deaths should be ignored, but it skews the numbers when you are trying to do statistical analysis.

Reaction Score
But the death rate in the northeast was mainly high because it ran through the nursing homes. Something like 75% of the CT deaths were in nursing homes. Not that those deaths should be ignored, but it skews the numbers when you are trying to do statistical analysis.

And the medical community now has 4 or so months' of experience dealing withCovid-19. For example, nearly all Covid-19 patients who are admitted to the hospital are not treated preemptively to deal with kidney and heart issues due to painful lessons learned back in March and April.

Reaction Score
It is as I predicted back in April...that Florida would spike in the summer with vacationers hitting the state's beaches...

Not surprising that the virus takes off in June, after Memorial Day holidays.

Reaction Score
No. I advocate a 3 week lockdown for the nation, followed by mandated mask usage, and social distancing. Basically, those things that worked in most of the Industrialized World thus far. City by city won't work because of cars, planes, and trains, etc.

Had we done this 9 weeks ago, the current picture would be a lot different. But, we didn't. Therefore, there should not be football in the fall.

On a side note, anyone looking forward to the national reaction to a lockdown in the Winter months with no sports onTV? That is going to be a blast!
If two groups of people with no covid infection intermingle the chances of contracting covid = 0%. The solution is miraculously simple. Quarantine 2 weeks before the season starts. Test players and staff before each game, and quarantine between games. How this can be so difficult to comprehend is fascinating.

Reaction Score
If two groups of people with no covid infection intermingle the chances of contracting covid = 0%. The solution is miraculously simple. Quarantine 2 weeks before the season starts. Test players and staff before each game, and quarantine between games. How this can be so difficult to comprehend is fascinating.

To suggest you can quarantine that group of folks for that long is complete and utter fantasy. The players will cheat, the coaches will cheat.....nobody is going into that level of isolation for that long. Hell....the kids would probably kill each other trying!

There is no easy solution and certainly not one without some level of risk. To suggest otherwise is naive.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say there’s a zero percent chance they WILL play football in the fall. There is a zero percent chance it will be SAFE to play football in the fall.
Logistics involving 125 teams is a nightmare. There is the P5 and then there is the rest. UC has been left behind, most likely forever. P5 schools will break away from the NCAA in football + basketball. Set their own rules, standards and TV deals. Not sure if non P5 schools can continue to give athletic scholarships to no revenue sports. The state has financial problems, as does UConn + UC athletic department. The economic gap is huge and not sure how long UC can hang on.

Reaction Score
To suggest you can quarantine that group of folks for that long is complete and utter fantasy. The players will cheat, the coaches will cheat.....nobody is going into that level of isolation for that long. Hell....the kids would probably kill each other trying!

There is no easy solution and certainly not one without some level of risk. To suggest otherwise is naive.
You realize that in effect during summer sessions that are quarantined anyway... from. 6:00AM to lights out they are occupied and under staff eyes. I don’t find this difficult.

Reaction Score
You realize that in effect during summer sessions that are quarantined anyway... from. 6:00AM to lights out they are occupied and under staff eyes. I don’t find this difficult.

I simply disagree. I don’t see it as a workable solution over the course of a season.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
I find it funny how much time is being spent here to analyze a situation that is preordained. I think they call it "Kabuki theater".

Reaction Score
You realize that in effect during summer sessions that are quarantined anyway... from. 6:00AM to lights out they are occupied and under staff eyes. I don’t find this difficult

Even if every minute is accounted for like that, other students, professors, TAs, trainers, coaches etc are not under the same protocol.

would love if college sports can come back, but I don’t see how. They aren’t pros and can’t do a bubble scenario

Reaction Score
I just don’t see how or why colleges should play. Money for the schools? The experience the players will have to go through to make their university money will be miserable. Totally unworkable.

Why should the players have to go out there and make money for the schools?

Pros should play. It is a risk reward scenario and the players have negotiated a risk level they are comfortable with.

no one cares about the college players here or their experience. It is all about budgets, tv, and that people want to watch the games.I find it obscene.

Reaction Score
Do you expect during the season that athletes would...
- Never leave campus
- Never interact with a non-athlete on campus
- Never go to a physical class with other students who've left campus
- Never come into contact with a staff member who was off-campus

And coaches would...
- Never go home to their families
- Never leave campus
- Never interact with anyone outside campus
- Never interact with anyone on campus who has been off campus

You can't create a "bubble" on a campus like the NBA and NHL are doing. I'm not saying college sports can't be played, but your simplistic views are wildly inaccurate.

Reaction Score

May want to ask Rick Pitinoabout challenges of keeping 20 or so students and staff locked away under staff supervision in a team-only housing center covered by cameras and secured doors for a full season and the shenanigans still occur, never-mind trying it with a 100 students and staff.

Reaction Score
- Never leave campus

And coaches would...
- Never leave campus

You can't create a "bubble" on a campus like the NBA and NHL are doing. I'm not saying college sports can't be played, but your simplistic views are wildly inaccurate.

...and are not paid for doing so.

Reaction Score
- Never leave campus

And coaches would...
- Never leave campus

What is inaccurate is your underlying premise. It’s inconsistent with the known science of transmission and it’s lethality. It’s about limiting interaction, social distancing, wearing masks, and following hygiene protocols. If there is suspected or verified exposure, strict quarantine can be imposed. Weekly testing will ensure they isolate cases. If contracted, the effects are negligible for the vast, vast percentage in that age cohort. Under your theory there should be no students on campus either. The risk of exposure and spread is at least 100x greater, literally, but somehow we will be allowing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom