Perspective and a bit of sarcasm from Coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Perspective and a bit of sarcasm from Coach

Reaction Score
A lot of fans have expectations that will be never be realized. Living up to the standards set by fans isn’t the job of coaches or players.
I've never expected UConn to win a semi final or final National Championship game but I do expect them to win out in the very average conferences they've been playing in for some time now...............that's not being spoiled, that's simply looking at the rosters of the opposition.............

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
He may or may not be ”absolutely correct” but dumping on your customers is absolutely stupid. 100%.
Telling your "customers" the truth is not at all like dumping on them, unless they are the sort of people who demand that their "vendor" tells them lies.

I respect Geno's integrity. If truthtelling and integrity are at odds with someone's notion of customer care, I guess we have a fundamental disagreement.

Reaction Score
Goodness me, some perspective, and perhaps a bit less ego-centrism.

People arrive on here, to the TV, to streaming, at disparate places in their lives, hence the escape that sports provides carries vastly different viewpoints, contexts, and importance. Especially in this world, with a horrific pandemic isolating folks, disrupting life, responsible for an unfathomable loss of more than one-half million (!) souls.

This in a state without a professional sports team, where the UConn women consistently offer a few hours of positive relief, escape, engagement, whatever. As coach says, people have become accustomed to it. It's dependable, something for some, to look forward to.

Hence, we should not impose our value judgements on the way others personally deal with these results. We've no idea the why, or where. For some, boards such as this offer an outlet for folks to vent, discuss, challenge, and sometimes argue. As long as it's civil, it's the nature of the beast, and it's a privilege, not an entitlement, for any of those desiring to participate. Those of us who've coached at the various levels, enjoy the tactical part of the game, DVR'ing frame-by-frame to break down plays. We'd have pressed. Trapped. Sub'ed. Called time outs. Others watch for the beauty of the sport, could care less about the score (as long as they're winning lol).

Here, the song remains the same: Coach is never wrong. Coach is wrong. Coach is a genius. Coach is an idiot. Coach has a 11 championships, he's in 2 Halls of Fame, obviously knows far more than us, how dare we even think to criticize? Without us, and our tax dollars playing his salary, he's just a guy who owns Italian restaurants.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I personally prefer the John Wooden approach. For all of UCLA's winning, I don't remember like criticism of the fans in Westwood. Or NY Yankee managers from the 30's to 1964 castigating angry fans upon the occasional loss in the World Series, or, perish the though, failure to win an American League pennant. Steinbrenner apologized to the fans after one Fall failure, though the less said of him, the better :).

Coach has a different approach. Its tiresome, its silly, perhaps appalling, whatever. Against the sensational talent, the brilliant team-oriented basketball he offers year-after-year, decade after decade, the sheer joy of UConn basketball over those many years, for me, matters not. That it does to others is perfectly reasonable as well.

Horses for courses.

Reaction Score
I’ll say it again and again.. if he isn’t the Coach, or persona you want him to be there are a LOT of other teams out there with coaches you might like better. Not winning coaches, but coaches that may appeal to your sensibilities. Have at it. You want a winner only if it suits you.

Reaction Score
hmmm most successful businesses says customers are always right, but what do they know.

The customer is NOT always right. Last year sometimes (I think) there is a story that Costco (a very successful business) sent a letter to one of its customers to say that they don't her business anymore and that they are not the right fit for her standard because she abuses the return merchandise policy. This is somewhere in the Virginia/Maryland area, I think.

arch

Reaction Score
Telling your "customers" the truth is not at all like dumping on them, unless they are the sort of people who demand that their "vendor" tells them lies.

I respect Geno's integrity. If truthtelling and integrity are at odds with someone's notion of customer care, I guess we have a fundamental disagreement.
An adult understands that one need say nothing.
Integrity isn’t the issue. Judgement is the issue.

Reaction Score
The customer is NOT always right. Last year sometimes (I think) there is a story that Costco (a very successful business) sent a letter to one of its customers to say that they don't her business anymore and that they are not the right fit for her standard because she abuses the return merchandise policy. This is somewhere in the Virginia/Maryland area, I think.
That doesn’t mean the customer is wrong. It just means Costco admits their policy was used in a way that wasn’t intended. What it does show is that there are really unethical people out there that if you give an inch they take an ell. What Costco has done is refined their return policies, especially on electronics and the time periods of returns. With the help of these few rotten apples is Costco implemented new business practices that actually helped Costco grow the bottom line and in addition they have begun to increase membership fees to offset some of these customer perks. Costco still has amazing return policies that 99% of customers still love but they crack down on the few that abuse it so their customer loyalty is still extremely high amd doesn’t impact their business materially.

I understand your point though.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
My point is directed at his behavior not the customers.
Maybe expecting him to act like a professional will never be realized.
A professional in your eyes, which you are most certainly entitled to. But I am guessing that the majority of BYers here on the WBB forum agree that Geno acts like a professional because he is a professional in what he does: coaching UConn WBB.

Reaction Score
A lot of fans have expectations that will be never be realized. Living up to the standards set by fans isn’t the job of coaches or players.
Nan, Geno created the expectations by winning so many banners.

Reaction Score
Who was the one complaining about the bracket and having to possibly meet Baylor in the elite 8? And how good they were? And now trying to say it was outsiders/fans that hyped up the matchup? Why does the woman's basketball coach at UConn call his players guys? Not players or women but guys? It's not cute anymore. Geno wants to win more than fans do. Fine. But in his wanting to win he does not play bench players who may be able to rest the 6 he does "trust" so at the end of the year in high pressure games the players he does trust are not worn down and wind up making mistakes that result in a loss. The having to be perfect mantra comes from the top. UConn fans can criticize the coach. That is the deal with being a fan of a team or school. With the talent Geno recruits he should make the Final 4 most years. Geno is expressing his own frustrations right now.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Comparing a coach to a salesperson, or even a business person, is seriously flawed. A more apt comparison is to a teacher. A teacher’s main obligation is to students. Teachers strive to help their “customer” students the best way that fits them. It’s then up to the principal or superintendent to determine if the teacher’s methods and comportment fits with their vision of how classrooms should be run, just like it’s up to the AD to make judgements on how sports programs should be run. As far as the broadest reach of purpose goes, including the fit with the community (or the fans/alumni/donors) that is up to the Board of Ed or Board of Trustees respectively.

Auriemma owes fans nothing; he owes the players he “teaches.” It just so happens that he draws fans and donors to the University, enough so that the higher ups have had no beef to date with his methods or comportment. If any fan is indignant about that, their ire is more appropriately placed with the higher ups that thinks such a “trade off” is fine, similar to a community taking up matters with a Board of Ed.

Not everything fits metaphorically into a business model of the world.

Reaction Score
It's basketball and believe or not talking trash comes with it. No matter if you're a coach, player or fan. It's Genos team and he has the right to call his players out and also the fans. Geno refers to his players as guys and doesn't like to use Lady Huskies and why? Because they are basketball players and that's what he considers them as. Also to many people here consider and want to treat these players like they're your daughters and Grandaughters. Guess what? They aren't! To much whining on this topic all the time. It's ridiculous.

Reaction Score
My point is directed at his behavior not the customers.
Maybe expecting him to act like a professional will never be realized.
According to your sign in date you have been following for at least 10 years. Geno has not changed a bit in 36 years and will not anytime soon. To say he is not a professional is simply silly and exposes ones knowledge of the game and program. You and a few others may not like his MO but being the most successful coach in the history of the game speaks for itself.

So is Geno addressing his dissertation to the 5% or less who hold the views he is condemning? Or is he scolding us all? What is accomplished by laying this stuff out to the public?
Rocky you old respected MTblue guy, Geno is simply venting towards the not so knowledgeable. It has to get tiring getting emails every day from Monday morning head coaches. He vents just like anyone else would but with a better touch of snark! ;)
It is not aimed at true fans or those that understand the game.
See exhibit A above.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
So, some people are re-offended because he took offense to their taking offense to his lack of offense? What could be more 21st century. As to HuskyNan's well made point, where else do fans get to have expectations? Hopes, dreams, aspirations, wishes... sure. Expectations? You're spoiled. Fanhood has transitioned from wishing success for the kids working hard to represent hometown State U. to demanding those kids deliver the vicarious, unearned gratification I expect to gain through their efforts. Straight up entitlement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think all anyone needs to see is the video of Auriemma returning from quarantine; that speaks volumes of the way the players feel about him. He uses any means available, including the media, to communicate with those players.
Just my opinion, but too many here want to bisect and dissect every comment of a guy that has been the same way for decades when one only has to look at the love and respect he has mutually with virtually every player he has ever coached. One has only to look at the success in and out of basketball many of those players have had after leaving.
The proof is in the pudding, recipes be damned. He and Chris Dailey have created something that may never be equaled in sports, doing it their way. They obviously put serious effort in developing the young ladies in their charge as players AND people.
The only downside I can see is the dynasty has spawned a legion of spoiled, petulant fans that whine and moan and offer sophomoric advice with every loss, every win where the margin of victory does not satisfy them, and every player that does not get enough minutes to suit their tastes.
And that does not mean that all Uconn WBB fans get painted with that brush, very far from it.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, Geno created the expectations by winning so many banners.
No person can make you feel any emotion or force you to expect anything. Those are self-derived. Anyone that thinks differently is excusing themselves from responsibility.

I can’t claim that certain posts “make” me angry or irritated or anything else. I get to choose how I react - with amusement, with anger, or not at all. Each one of us is responsible for our own reactions.

Reaction Score
I would love to see the video of this whole interview. I feel that is the only way to better gauge Geno's meaning behind these words. I have watched a lot of his pressers, especially this season and felt completely different about what he said live versus what was printed in an article. For example, the "uncoachable" comment about Christyn and some of the things he said about Paige. If you print just the words, it seems harsh, but if you watch how he says things, it doesn't come across that way, (at least how I reacted to them). Remember, writers need people to click, or react to what they've written. There certainly seems to be some talk about this article!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom