Perspective and a bit of sarcasm from Coach | The Boneyard

Perspective and a bit of sarcasm from Coach

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"My kids are devastated,” Auriemma said. “My kids just put in 12 months of hard work, sacrificed everything. The whole COVID thing, they haven’t been home since July 26. ... My guys put blood, sweat and tears into this. You don’t think we want this more than you do? That’s the thing that a lot of fans can’t wrap their heads around. We win all the time and they go, ‘You have no competition.’ We lose and they go, ‘You can’t win because you [stink]. So you want it to be competitive, but you don’t want us to lose.”

'We want to win more than you want us to win': UConn's Geno Auriemma opens up about latest Final Four loss

Reaction Score
I want to know Geno's BY Username, sounds like he is a regular visitor. :):rolleyes:

Plus I can't read the whole article because I am not a subscriber :confused:
For any article you can't read because you don't subscribe (I have to do this a lot too):

1. Copy the URL (the web address) of the article that you can't read.

2. Go to the Outline website (link below).

3. Paste the URL of the article that you can't read, into the space where it says "Enter Article URL."

4. Click the green button that says "Create Outline."

Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Reaction Score
“We could save you a lot of problems and just lose in the first round,” Auriemma said. “Then you won’t have so much angst. But you know what, we’re going to punish you, we’re going to be just good enough to torment you... We’re going to torture you. How’s that?”

Unfortunately, a lot of this is Geno at his absolute worst, with the fan shaming and such that he's been falling back on these past four or five years, I guess to deflect from these dreadful losses.

"As well as Arizona played, had we just done a little more of what we were accustomed to doing, we would have won the game."

Correct, Geno. And as you know, it's your job as head coach, to get them to do what they are accustomed to doing in a national semi-final like they do in any other game. And to get them to do it even though, yes, the competition is tougher in those games. For three of those four years, you had the better team and the better players on the floor. And each time they lost in pretty much the same manner, with similar game plans deployed against them, while being unable to perform at their own baseline level of proficiency. It must feel like groundhog day for you, coach. So how about you figure out what keeps going wrong, and then go fix it? And while you're at it, you may want to consider showing a little less distain for the fans out there, spoiled as some of us indeed are.

Last edited:

arch

Reaction Score
To the fans upset about the article you might want to root for a different team. Geno is not going to change, and he is absolutely correct in this article. 100%
He may or may not be ”absolutely correct” but dumping on your customers is absolutely stupid. 100%.

Reaction Score
He may or may not be ”absolutely correct” but dumping on your customers is absolutely stupid. 100%.
He’s trying to make a point that what the fans think is easy, isn’t. And it isn’t up to us to critique the players when we are not privy to everything that he is privy to. If it upsets people they can root for another team, or pay his salary so they can tell him how to coach and do his job.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
“We could save you a lot of problems and just lose in the first round,” Auriemma said. “Then you won’t have so much angst. But you know what, we’re going to punish you, we’re going to be just good enough to torment you... We’re going to torture you. How’s that?”

Unfortunately, a lot of this is Geno at his absolute worst, with the fan shaming and such that he's been falling back on these past four or five years, I guess to deflect from these dreadful losses.

"As well as Arizona played, had we just done a little more of what we were accustomed to doing, we would have won the game."

Correct, Geno. And as you know, it's your job as head coach, to get them to do what they are accustomed to doing in a national semi-final like they do in any other game. And to get them to do it even though, yes, the competition is tougher in those games. For three of those four years, you had the better team and the better players on the floor. And each time they lost in pretty much the same manner, with similar game plans deployed against them, while being unable to perform at their own baseline level of proficiency. It must feel like groundhog day for you, coach. So how about you figure out what keeps going wrong, and then go fix it? And while you're at it, you may want to consider showing a little less distain for the fans out there, spoiled as some of us indeed are.

You are of course entitled to your opinions, and I respect that. I simply could not disagree more.
If he does peruse the BY he must get a real chuckle from the advise he gets here. Yet who amongst us can match his credentials? Why should he take the word of any of us seriously?
There are some here who apparently believe they are smarter at basketball than he is. Why do I doubt that?
As to offending his fan base, you know his reputation for telling the unvarnished truth, he does it with reporters, why should he change that for fans on a blog, a blog built around his success.
With his millions and his reputation as a coach and his age he can afford to do and say as he likes.
And that's just fine with me. He has earned that prerogative.
Not trying to offend, that's nothing more than my opinion.

Reaction Score

He’s trying to make a point that what the fans think is easy, isn’t. And it isn’t up to us to critique the players when we are not privy to everything that he is privy to. If it upsets people they can root for another team, or pay his salary so they can tell him how to coach and do his job.
IT's always easy from the cheap seats.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So is Geno addressing his dissertation to the 5% or less who hold the views he is condemning? Or is he scolding us all? What is accomplished by laying this stuff out to the public?
He’s protective of his players. They see the crap people post. Yes, they read the ‘yard or their family/friends do. The players are devastated over the loss and the blaming and Geno is reacting the way any father might.

arch

Reaction Score
He’s protective of his players. They see the crap people post, yes, they read the ‘yard or their family/friends do. The players are devastated over the loss and the blaming and Geno is reacting the way any father might.
I would have hoped he would be the adult in the room rather than the “parent”.

Reaction Score
Don't you think he and the UConn program kinda has earned that right?

Reaction Score
I would have hoped he would be the adult in the room rather than the “parent”
Like all the adults that reply here and insult the players cause they don’t play up to their expectations

Reaction Score
For any article you can't read because you don't subscribe (I have to do this a lot too):

1. Copy the URL (the web address) of the article that you can't read.

2. Go to the Outline website (link below).

3. Paste the URL of the article that you can't read, into the space where it says "Enter Article URL."

4. Click the green button that says "Create Outline."

Outline - Read & annotate without distractions
Another trick that works (most of the time) and did in this case is to type the title of the article, We want to win more than you want us to win, in the google search box and hit enter. The article will be the first hit returned. Click on it and read the entire article.

arch

Reaction Score
A lot of fans have expectations that will be never be realized. Living up to the standards set by fans isn’t the job of coaches or players.
My point is directed at his behavior not the customers.
Maybe expecting him to act like a professional will never be realized.

arch

Reaction Score
I would have hoped he would be the adult in the room rather than the “pare
Like all the adults that reply here and insult the players cause they don’t play up to their expectations
My bad behavior is no excuse for yours. Professionals should understand that. Geno should understand that.

Reaction Score
Another trick that works (most of the time) and did in this case is to type the title of the article, We want to win more than you want us to win, in the google search box and hit enter. The article will be the first hit returned. Click on it and read the entire article.
Cool! Had not tried that!

Reaction Score
Sometimes as a business you don't really need certain kinds of customers.
hmmm most successful businesses says customers are always right, but what do they know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom