Personnel Needs for Next Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Personnel Needs for Next Season

Reaction Score
Bouknight is a star next year if not by the end of this year. He’s the guy whose hands we will put the ball in when we need a bucket and he will get it. The future is good. But let’s squeeze some wins out of this season.

Reaction Score
If Gilbert is gone, we can't go into yet another season with only 4 guards. That means 1 goes down and you can't play with 3 guards ever, and you're subject to someone getting into foul trouble or having the most minor of injuries. So Gilbert leaving means you need a grad transfer or JUCO guard. Any of a 1, 2 or combo is fine.

Thus, if Cliff comes, a current big is likely to be disappeared.
Jackson can play a guard spot

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
My concerns are depth and over all play at point with essentially an unknown and a player that has yet to show us much, both have proven to be somewhat liabilities on defense. System misfits at the 5. Overall team shooting. On the bright side we should be the best shot blocking team in the country adding 2 shot blockers to a team that leads the country in blocks per now. 2-4 we’re really talented and deep. I’d like to see us somehow add a center and a point guard(or return AG).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1. Anyone who is big, strong, long and athletic- in other words a man vs a boy
2. any pure shooter - someone who can create their shot would be nice

all players that look like D1 players in terms of size

Reaction Score
I believe Hurley already said at the start of the season this will be his last. Graduate and play overseas.
Why? He’s having a terrible year. Why not come back and end things like we all now he’s supposed to. Come in to senior year ready to have a hell of a year and ride off into the sunset. Can’t believe he’s gonna go out with a whimper like this. No way. If so, it’s one of the strangest UConn careers Ive ever seen

Reaction Score
Strange because he’s been hurt for 2.5 years?
If I’m him I’m gonna get paid plying my trade. He doesn’t owe anyone anything but himself and his family.

Reaction Score
PG- RJ Cole
SG- James Bouknight
SF- Brendan Adams
PF- Akok Akok
C- Josh Carlton

6-Andre Jackson
7-Sidney Wilson
8-Jalen Gaffney
9-Isaiah Whaley
10-Richard Springs

Redshirt
Javonte Brown
Tyler Polley

Man this would give you one to play with and their is some holes. Lets Hope RJ is the answer at the point. Think its been proven that Carlton isn't a great starting Center. Would be heavy looking for a big as a transfer or Recruit. But if Polley is out this team lacks shooting. Assume Cole can really shoot it. Adams AKok and Bouk hopefully 34-37 from 3. If you do not add another point a lot is on Cole and an unproven Gaffney. Always a lot of moving parts in the offseason, but I expect us to be really active.

Reaction Score
Can Cole be a pass-first pg? He put up 18-25 times a game (and not very accurately) the past 2 years

Reaction Score
Can Cole be a pass-first pg? He put up 18-25 times a game (and not very accurately) the past 2 years

If you’ve watched him play, you’d understand why he wasn’t overly accurate. He was the main scoring option on his team and defenses focused in on him. When he has guys Bouk, Jackson, and Akok on the floor with him defenses will not focus on him. He’ll have much more space to work with at UConn.

Reaction Score
He'll with next year let's do something this year. The clock is running with everybody.
We've been waiting for next year 3 years. Let's develop the players we have and win enough games to make NCAA.

Reaction Score
I don't think we need a 6'10-7'1 Center more than we need a rebounder. If that comes in the form of a 6'8 bruiser I'll take it. (Obviously a 6'11 bulldozer is ideal). That's why I am high on Kevin Marfo (Quinnipiac) and Jordan Bruner (Yale). Not overly tall but effective rebounders.

Then we also just need shooting/scoring. Someone who can create their own shot and score at all 3 levels. There is nobody other than Bouknight on this team who can create their own shot with efficiency. As much as we got frustrated with Jalen Adams last year he could go out and do that consistently (maybe not efficiently). Whiffing on Cam Thomas is a killer in that regard.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn needs to show a lot of player improvement year over year. Guys just need to get better. We will learn a lot about how hard these guys want to work by UConn's first game next season.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I’d take a great shooter over a guy that is a great dunker - that’s what UCONN really needs but I’m probably crazy..a true center would be good too..

Reaction Score
PG- RJ Cole
SG- James Bouknight
SF- Brendan Adams
PF- Akok Akok
C- Josh Carlton

6-Andre Jackson
7-Sidney Wilson
8-Jalen Gaffney
9-Isaiah Whaley
10-Richard Springs

Redshirt
Javonte Brown
Tyler Polley

Man this would give you one to play with and their is some holes. Lets Hope RJ is the answer at the point. Think its been proven that Carlton isn't a great starting Center. Would be heavy looking for a big as a transfer or Recruit. But if Polley is out this team lacks shooting. Assume Cole can really shoot it. Adams AKok and Bouk hopefully 34-37 from 3. If you do not add another point a lot is on Cole and an unproven Gaffney. Always a lot of moving parts in the offseason, but I expect us to be really active.

I like Brendan Adams as a kid, hard worker and a piece of the puzzle. But my thoughts are if he's ever starting here we aren't headed in a good direction. He's a solid bench guy no more though although I could be wrong. But the guy we saw first 6-7 games has reappeared as last years guy a little more often again, inconsistent. I guess I can ask which one are we going to get?

For those who think we can play Jackson as a guard I'd say only if our PG can shoot it and he and Bouk can then be the 2-3 whichever way you'd like to throw them out there. Bouk will need to tighten his handle which I think he can and will, and Cole will need to be that shooter/passer guy we can count on.

For me another nice 2G/Cpmbo who can handle and a threat as a shooter, preferably a grad transfer with some history. A power guy also who can rebound the basketball on both ends, not sure if there are any left or if coaches will be fired so some things open up but we will need to impact that roster another solid contributor or 2 playing in the Big East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’d take a great shooter over a guy that is a great dunker - that’s what UCONN really needs but I’m probably crazy..a true center would be good too..
You take what is best available. If it is a sharp shooter, then take him. If its a rim protector, then take him. Right now Cliff is still on the board. I am not aware of any sharp shooters still available for next year.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
You take what is best available. If it is a sharp shooter, then take him. If its a rim protector, then take him. Right now Cliff is still on the board. I am not aware of any sharp shooters still available for next year.
Just about every team in D1 has a great shooter, some teams have two or more. Not asking that much- let’s not over think this

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
In no particular order...1. Big Man, 2. Point Guard, 3.Shooter/Scorer
I'll take that every year. One of each and then a rotating duplicate choice. I nominate @UCfor3 as director of recruiting.

Reaction Score
Just about every team in D1 has a great shooter, some teams have two or more. Not asking that much- let’s not over think this
not over thinking. If an additional spot opens up for next year, do you know of an available kid who fits that description?

Reaction Score
Is it a sure fire thing Akok is coming back for a second year? Just wondering and I am hopeful.

What does UConn need? The next John Stockton geared towards the 2020 version of the college game. (One can dream).

IMO, everything falls into place if Akok stays and UConn finds a real diamond in the rough guard with a pass first mentality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom