Penny Hardaway on the G-League | The Boneyard

Penny Hardaway on the G-League

Reaction Score
He does have a point, but he also wanted all the smoke so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The former Memphis star turned Memphis head coach said in a video interview to media released Friday that he disagrees with the league's latest on-court approach.

“For me, I didn’t think the G League was built—and I could be wrong—to go and recruit kids that want to go to college out of going to college,” he said. “I thought they were going to be the organization that was going to be, if you want to go overseas or you absolutely did not want to play college 100%, that this would be the best situation for you before you go into the NBA.

“But taking guys out of their commitments [or] they’ve already signed and continuing to talk to their parents, it’s almost like tampering. I really don’t agree with that.”

Reaction Score
You could argue that paying players to go to Memphis is also "tampering". College coaches last year could have said "I don't agree with Memphis continuing to recruit guys who already committed to play for other schools. The fact that they're able to pay these guys more $$ than we can because they have an ex-NBA player as the head coach and are funded by FedEx just doesn't seem fair"

Reaction Score
tenor.gif

C

Chief00

The former Memphis star turned Memphis head coach said in a video interview to media released Friday that he disagrees with the league's latest on-court approach.

“For me, I didn’t think the G League was built—and I could be wrong—to go and recruit kids that want to go to college out of going to college,” he said. “I thought they were going to be the organization that was going to be, if you want to go overseas or you absolutely did not want to play college 100%, that this would be the best situation for you before you go into the NBA.

“But taking guys out of their commitments [or] they’ve already signed and continuing to talk to their parents, it’s almost like tampering. I really don’t agree with that.”

I agree with Penny.

C

Chief00

But would Penny in High School agree with Penny now?

I thought he grew a distinction between letting kids decide coming out of HS if they want the college, overseas or G League route, compared to what happened after they commit to a college. Planning is involved for both the player and college as the result of a commitment. To me a one year commitment for both the college and player isn’t unreasonable or a restriction on someone’s freedom. We all sign contracts and leases and it’s not unreasonable to have a little structure after that decision is made.

Reaction Score
No doubt planning is a big part. But these coaches/institutions know the risk they're taking. Part of the planning. Big risk now. Might have to reevaluate the risk/reward of that player/situation.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He's wrong.

The G League is not his partner - it's a business.

And he's not offering anything more binding than an athletic scholarship. Kids can take or not.
Exactly, he just has his feelings hurt over how it makes his job tougher.

If you asked him about the Wiseman situation guaranteed he'd give you a sob story about how he just wanted to (selflessly of course) do what he could to help out Wiseman's financial situation.

Now he's sour about some similarly super talented kids getting a great financial opportunity.

Reaction Score
I agree with Penny, don't like it but Fishy has it right. Kids can change their minds so the story is be careful who you are recruiting. The kid and his parents need to be asked about the potential of this happening with them hopefully understanding a commitment means you are filling a programs need for the next basketball year. Hopefully with the right family situation they will understand this before committing.

No matter it's funny seeing Penny use the word "tampering". Not upsets if it happens to him, Duke, LSU, Auburn, Kansas, Arizona etc..

Reaction Score
I thought he grew a distinction between letting kids decide coming out of HS if they want the college, overseas or G League route, compared to what happened after they commit to a college. Planning is involved for both the player and college as the result of a commitment. To me a one year commitment for both the college and player isn’t unreasonable or a restriction on someone’s freedom. We all sign contracts and leases and it’s not unreasonable to have a little structure after that decision is made.
Any kid who commits to go to college, sends in the paperwork, deposit and such can change his or her mind and go to work in Dad’s Real Estate business instead. Why should basketball players be any different?

personally I think this is a great development And I hope it expands in future years. Players who just need to kill a year before the NBA draft can do it in the G. Let players who want to actually go to college go to college. Next step is for the NBA to lift its absurd restriction and if a player is good enough draft him out of high school. The basketball world has changed dramatically since that rule went into effect. It was negotiated with the union to protect older players from an influx of high school heroes. But that Was before top kids played on National AAU circuits 365 days a year. It’s time to let the best go to the NBA whenever they are ready and the next group go the G league route If they choose. And hopefully the kids who go to college will stay and play hard and develop.

Reaction Score
This isn’t as big a problem as some people make it out to be. I’d much rather go to college and be treated like a rock star than go to the G League and be a nobody unless I make a mark there. I think we will see that developing in college is better for the players because they won’t be marked as bad goods if they are good college players. If you go to the G League and get eaten up your career might be over before it starts. There are grown men there that will make an 18 year old with potential look really bad at first and it can ruin a player mentally. My guess is a handful of great players/bad students go G League and most others still take the college route.

Reaction Score
Does the NBA parent team own the signing rights to a player signed by its G-league affiliate ?

C

Chief00

Any kid who commits to go to college, sends in the paperwork, deposit and such can change his or her mind and go to work in Dad’s Real Estate business instead. Why should basketball players be any different?

personally I think this is a great development And I hope it expands in future years. Players who just need to kill a year before the NBA draft can do it in the G. Let players who want to actually go to college go to college. Next step is for the NBA to lift its absurd restriction and if a player is good enough draft him out of high school. The basketball world has changed dramatically since that rule went into effect. It was negotiated with the union to protect older players from an influx of high school heroes. But that Was before top kids played on National AAU circuits 365 days a year. It’s time to let the best go to the NBA whenever they are ready and the next group go the G league route If they choose. And hopefully the kids who go to college will stay and play hard and develop.
How are they different? D1 MBB players don’t send in a deposit. The college makes the deposit to one degree or another LOL.

Reaction Score
Does the NBA parent team own the signing rights to a player signed by its G-league affiliate ?

The recent kids to sign with the G-League are being assigned to a "select" team who won't be playing in the G-League itself. Essentially a paid year of training, scrimmages, and a handful of exhibition games.

Reaction Score
Part of the problem is that it’s the first year. Coaches did not recruit for this and didn’t think to ask these questions. It’ll all settle down in a year or two. Everyone will know what players are eligible or likely to go the G league option and which recruits are considering that route, and coaches will adjust.

Reaction Score
My guess is a handful of great players/bad students go G League and most others still take the college route.

The kids who would get "eaten up" against G League players aren't going to be on the league's radar anyway. The kids who are going to go this route are the ones who would otherwise be going to college solely because they have to and not because they need that magical six months of social and athletic development that prepares you for the rest of your life that people always talk about.

Sounds like sour grapes from Penny. Boo hoo. If the Grizzlies called him he'd be out the door before he hung up the phone.

Reaction Score
How are they different? D1 MBB players don’t send in a deposit. The college makes the deposit to one degree or another LOL.
My question is why should a player who changes his mind in August and decides to play for the Portland Red Claws instead of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights he treated any differently than a kid who was going to enroll in the business school but decides in August to instead go to work in the family real estate agency? Lots of guys make the argument that regular students can earn money or transfer or what have you so why limit basketball players. I think there is a case to be made that those are different situations. But in this case a guy changes his mind after committing and plans to go pro rather than go to college I think is exactly analogous to the situation of regular students. He has gotten zero from the school. He has a perfect right to walk away.

Reaction Score
The recent kids to sign with the G-League are being assigned to a "select" team who won't be playing in the G-League itself. Essentially a paid year of training, scrimmages, and a handful of exhibition games.

Thanks. Trying to make sense out of what's in this for the NBA/G League. Seems to me the current system where they let the colleges develop them at no cost to the NBA is a pretty sweet arrangement. Wouldn't imagine the G League is a money maker.

Reaction Score
My guess is it can be for the owners if they do it right. If you get somebody to pay your best players and somebody else to provide the arena

And in large part colleges don’t develop players. For most 1-dones it is a place to park a kid for the 1 year waiting period. For the guys who stay 2,3,4 years sure. But why not have a kid and develop him yourself for a relative pittance before you write a check for millions. He learns to travel play back to back nights in different cities. All the stuff pros do that never happens in college.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom