Penn State professor: BOT says Rutgers next in line to join Big 10 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Penn State professor: BOT says Rutgers next in line to join Big 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
It's all about money.

The advantage of Rutgers and UConn as far as penetrating the NYC media market is more than just the Rutgers/UConn fan bases. It's also appearances by Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, etc in the NYC area and on the local TV/radio networks covering Rutgers and UConn. Just being here regularly is a huge increase in word of mouth and buzz for them.

I would think Rutgers-UConn would be more attractive to the B1G than Maryland-UVa which would bring DC and two good size states; UNC and Notre Dame are the other players.Maryland-UVa are probably only better than Rutgers-UConn if they bring UNC in too, in which case they would need Notre Dame for 16. Don't think it makes sense to bring Rutgers or UConn in individually.

We'll see how it plays out but I see us landing in the B1G. The other likely spot is a new #5 conference made of ACC/BE scraps. But that would only be temporary until one of the top 4 decided to go after NYC.

Reaction Score
People that think UConn has reached its high water mark in football are being totally unfair. With so little time playing big league football, our accomplishments are remarkable.

For the 101th time on this board, folks that say UConn will never play championship level football, fear the UConn will play championship level football. We win at everything we play. Period. duck Minnesota. We don't role like them.
would actuall be 101st time. Maybe you meant 11oth?

Reaction Score
You have to be in the AAU to be invited to the Big 10 so that's why they would take Rutgers over UConn. The only exception would be Notre Dame.
Is Nebraska in the AAU?

Reaction Score
would actuall be 101st time. Maybe you meant 11oth?

Just iphone typing without thinking it through while on my 4th or 5th happy hour beer. I misused "role" in place of roll as well. But, with your mistake riddled, snarky reply I feel pretty good about my post anyway. Better to be stupid than stupid and obnoxious.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Actually, there were quotes from someone at the B1G saying that they wouldn't have been invited without the AAU membership, of if the B1G knew they would lose it (lost the following year). I don't know if that's true or not, but it was widely reported. I think it is safe to say that AAU membership matters, if not as a litmus test.

I just did some checking on the dates, and it appears that Nebraska had AAU status for almost a full year after being invited (Big10 invitation = June 12, 2010; Nebraska AAU loss = April 29, 2011), so it's a fair point.

One thing to remember in all of this is that reports have indicated the AAU is shrinking in overall membership, not growing. The most recent member is Georgia Tech (2010), and the last current AAU school before that to get AAU status was SUNY-Stony Brook in 2001. If we are waiting to get AAU status for a move to the Big10, we are likely going to be waiting for a while...

Reaction Score
You have to be in the AAU to be invited to the Big 10 so that's why they would take Rutgers over UConn. The only exception would be Notre Dame.

Wrong. It was the Big10 presidents themselves who kicked Nebraska out of the AAU.

Reaction Score
To add to that, I think that Nebraska lost their AAU status around the same time that they were invited, and the Big10 did not make a big deal about it.

It was the Big10 that kicked them out of the AAU!!! Not other schools. They were kicked out in committee by a closed group dominated by Big10 presidents, and it was the Big10-ers who actually hard-lobbied the other members to kick them out. This is all in the public record--both Iowa's president and PSU's Graham Spanier (ex-Pres. of Nebraska) were reporting all this behind the scenes and trying to get Nebraska to break the rolling wave headed toward them.

Reaction Score
Actually, there were quotes from someone at the B1G saying that they wouldn't have been invited without the AAU membership, of if the B1G knew they would lose it (lost the following year). I don't know if that's true or not, but it was widely reported. I think it is safe to say that AAU membership matters, if not as a litmus test.

This is patently ridiculous when you consider that it was the B10 presidents who kicked them out of the league, and the Chancellor of Wisky at the time, now Pres. of Amherst, said that she never heard sports discussed during the committee meetings, and that if it was ever discussed, it was an afterthought. AAU membership doesn't matter.

Reaction Score

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Okay, Upstater, settle down!! I wasn't sure about any of it, and I tried to check dates and facts. While we are throwing around phrases like "patently ridiculous", please explain to me how an organization of 63 member universities are dominated by the votes of 11 of them? Even the link you posted leads us to the fact that Nebraska was under threat to lose the status for a decade, which clearly means that the Big10 didn't orchestrate their removal, so your statement of "It was the Big10 that kicked them out of the AAU!!! Not other schools." is "patently ridiculous." So let's keep everything in perspective. Happy Saturday!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Would someone please explain to me why the Big 10 would want Rutgers over Uconn. We are better in every major sport. The NY market - really ?

Cable TV. Rutgers equals 9 million cable viewers, UConn equals 4 million cable viewers. That is the only reason to pick RU. Unfortunately, it is also the number one reason for the B1G to expand.

Reaction Score
Cable TV. Rutgers equals 9 million cable viewers, UConn equals 4 million cable viewers. That is the only reason to pick RU. Unfortunately, it is also the number one reason for the B1G to expand.

I'd suggest you enjoy the holiday and sleep the sleep of angels.

pj

Reaction Score
Rutgers and UConn go together. It won't be just one. And yes, the NYC/NJ/NE market.

Reaction Score
Okay, Upstater, settle down!! I wasn't sure about any of it, and I tried to check dates and facts. While we are throwing around phrases like "patently ridiculous", please explain to me how an organization of 63 member universities are dominated by the votes of 11 of them? Even the link you posted leads us to the fact that Nebraska was under threat to lose the status for a decade, which clearly means that the Big10 didn't orchestrate their removal, so your statement of "It was the Big10 that kicked them out of the AAU!!! Not other schools." is "patently ridiculous." So let's keep everything in perspective. Happy Saturday!

I didn't say you were a patently ridiculous person. I said the idea that they wouldn't have been invited is patently ridiculous.

The reason I know it's the Big10 that tossed them out is that Perlman was initially assured that the vote wouldn't make it out of that particular committee. It would have never come up to the membership. Then Michigan, Wisconsin and two other unnamed schools conspired to postpone the vote for 9 months until the new committee assignments; Spanier then called up Perlman and told him the long knives were out. They actually postponed the committee vote! This means that Michigan and Wisconsin as well as two other Big10 schools on the committee wanted them gone long before they were invited to the Big10.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
UConn/Rutgers have their TV numbers based on the schedules they've played thus far. In other words, don't just consider todays numbers. The numbers would absolutely increase with a B1G schedule, and that means more money/exposure for the rest of the league.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Have to think attendance would also see a bump with B1G schedule (potentially making expansion of the Rent happen sooner). But then that would also be true for Md, UVa, whoever.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A few points:

1 - While AAU status would be helpful, it is not in any way, shape or form a deal maker or deal breaker. If the B1G does decide to expand beyond twelve and we are demonstrating that we are capable of adding value, we will receive serious consideration. If not, we won't.

2 - The contiguous states argument is nothing more than a rumor. Delaney said so himself when the conference was looking to expand from eleven.

3 - One major concern for both UConn and Rutgers is that the reason a compromise candidate (Nebraska) was selected was because the lion's share of the B-10 (all eight of the then members not named Ohio St, Michigan or Penn St) was firmly against any move that could move the conference from being a Chicago centered entity. The term midwest values was thrown around a lot and this appears to be at the core of the identity of many of the B1G's members.

I don't know if the B1G will ever consider us but I personally believe that only good (for the university, it athletic programs and academic prestige) can come from attempting to turn our image into one similar to a B1G school.

pj

Reaction Score
3 - One major concern for both UConn and Rutgers is that the reason a compromise candidate (Nebraska) was selected was because the lion's share of the B-10 (all eight of the then members not named Ohio St, Michigan or Penn St) was firmly against any move that could move the conference from being a Chicago centered entity. The term midwest values was thrown around a lot and this appears to be at the core of the identity of many of the B1G's members.

Midwest values have to be weighed against money values. The money wasn't enough last time, but it may be next time.

Reaction Score
thats 100% false if u knew anything about the aau and whats happening with it currently. in fact the only thing more false then that statement is this- "rutgers brings the nyc market".

After Nebraska was removed from the AAU, Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman said "I doubt that our application would've been accepted had we not been a member of the AAU."

Reaction Score
Is Nebraska in the AAU?

Let me guess... You googled "AAU" and found that Nebraska wasn't in the AAU, but didn't check any further on how they got into the Big 10... Didn't it seem strange that all the other schools in the Big 10 were AAU?

There are like 5 people here disputing the basic fact that the Big 10 requires AAU membership to join. Could they change this policy? Sure, they can do whatever want. But they clearly still had it 2 years ago. The Big 10 isn't in a position of weakness - the Big 4 are just getting stronger. They aren't going to be compromising their principles now.

Nebraska had been in the AAU since 1909. They got kicked out AFTER they joined the Big 10. They're the only school to ever be kicked out. And despite what one of the posters above seems to have somehow reasoned out, the Big 10 didn't kick Nebraska out of the AAU. That makes no sense. They wouldn't want to do that. Anyway, the Big 10 has no authority to do that. Some members of the Big 10 voted to oust Nebraska, just as some AAU members of other conferences voted to do.

I was on a Virginia Tech board and they jumped all over me too when I innocently posted that the Big 10 wouldn't accept them because they weren't in the AAU. AAU and the Big 10 is one of the most basic pieces realignment information. I'm surprised how many people don't know it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
After Nebraska was removed from the AAU, Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman said "I doubt that our application would've been accepted had we not been a member of the AAU."

Now, who looks stupid?

u do for coming here #1. and #2 u still have no clue about the aau. u just learned everything u know about it in this thread. nd is not aau but becuase they are nd its easy for the b10 to set it aside. blah blah. if unc wasn't aau but they called, do u really think the b10 is going to say no? the b10 does not care about the aau. what they do care about is if your university spends so much $$ or has so much $$ and other stats about research to make uconn or ruty on par research wise with its other schools. thats what they care about. so while nebraska isn't in the aau, they are research wise very similar to the other b10 schools. ruty or uconn would both be just fine in the research area with ruty in better shape. tvs, fball program, tvs, alums demo, tvs, on field results, school rankings.

the nebraska guy said that to save face and make the b10 look like a good guy. for the last so many years they knew they were on the fence about getting kicked out. so they happen to get into the b10 before it happens. just to please the schools that voted to add them he throws them a bone media wise just to juice how good these schools are in the classroom. no one gives a frick.

Reaction Score

Now, who looks stupid?

And I'll prove that wrong easily.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/education/article_19188dda-afe7-57c8-aa2c-c1939ec5acb4.html

With every other Big Ten school holding AAU membership, UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman told the Chicago Tribune in 2010, it was doubtful that UNL would have been invited to join the Big Ten had it not been an AAU member.
But emails suggest the leaders of two Big Ten schools -- Michigan and Wisconsin -- were among the 44 university presidents that didn't support keeping Nebraska in the AAU.

It's funny how you purposely ended the quote after Perlman was contradicted.

In a recent interview with the Journal Star, Perlman said he believed the leaders of Wisconsin and Michigan opposed UNL's membership in the AAU because of their apparent votes against the university while members of two AAU committees.

So the Big10 came out against them in committee, before the final vote. The committee vote happened well before the ouster.

Mary Sue Coleman, president of the University of Michigan, served on the AAU membership committee when it voted in October 2010 to recommend that UNL's membership be reviewed. Carolyn "Biddy" Martin, then chancellor at the University of Wisconsin, served on a separate AAU membership review committee, which unanimously recommended in April to end UNL's membership.

October 2010 was the committee vote. But the initial committee that brought Nebraska up for review was one year earlier in late 2009. In Spanier's emails, he discussed the fact that the Michigan president didn't have all the votes to put Nebraska's membership up for a vote, so she postponed the committee vote until the committee could be reformed during the next academic year. We're talking about 2009 here, long before Nebraska joined the B10.

Reaction Score
Let me guess... You googled "AAU" and found that Nebraska wasn't in the AAU, but didn't check any further on how they got into the Big 10... Didn't it seem strange that all the other schools in the Big 10 were AAU?

There are like 5 people here disputing the basic fact that the Big 10 requires AAU membership to join. Could they change this policy? Sure, they can do whatever want. But they clearly still had it 2 years ago. The Big 10 isn't in a position of weakness - the Big 4 are just getting stronger. They aren't going to be compromising their principles now.

There is no policy. Any B10 board will tell you that.

Nebraska had been in the AAU since 1909. They got kicked out AFTER they joined the Big 10.

Let's get your timeline straight. Nebraska was voted into the B10 in late summer of 2010. They were ousted from the AAU in Spring 2011. They joined the B10 in summer 2011. But, if you go way back to the AAU committee meeting that put Nebraska up for review in 2009, it was headed by Michigan's President with the support of Wisky's Chancellor. The idea that these two people had no clue that Nebraska was on the outs, when the head of OSU and PSU strongly made this assertion in private emails to Perlman, is a wild wild stretch.

They're the only school to ever be kicked out.

Clark, Catholic, Syracuse.

And despite what one of the posters above seems to have somehow reasoned out, the Big 10 didn't kick Nebraska out of the AAU. That makes no sense. They wouldn't want to do that.

They did it. Michigan presided over the committee that put them up for review. Coleman actually postponed the vote when she realized she didn't have the numbers.

Reaction Score
And I'll prove that wrong easily.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/education/article_19188dda-afe7-57c8-aa2c-c1939ec5acb4.html

It's funny how you purposely ended the quote after Perlman was contradicted.

It's funny how you assumed I got the quote from the same source I did... I just went to Wikipedia. Ever heard of that site? Go look up the University of Nebraska on Wikipedia. You don't need to be looking up obscure reports. (You just typed the quote I gave you into Google, right?).

Anyway, the extra line just supports what I was saying... The Big 10 has nothing to do with AAU membership. AAU is an research alliance. The Big 10 wants you to be good in football for revenue purposes. Would you agree with that? But that doesn't mean they're going to kick out Northwestern or Indiana. Once you're in, you're in.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn/Rutgers have their TV numbers based on the schedules they've played thus far. In other words, don't just consider todays numbers. The numbers would absolutely increase with a B1G schedule, and that means more money/exposure for the rest of the league.

Excellent point. I hope they consider this. RU attendance has been pegged to their national relevance, which doesn't happen often. I do believe UConn would support a B1G schedule better rain or shine.

OTOH, you'd have to give RU the advantage of B1G alumni from NYC attending RU games. More seats available :p

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak