Penn State professor: BOT says Rutgers next in line to join Big 10 | The Boneyard

Penn State professor: BOT says Rutgers next in line to join Big 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If we happen to go with them... that's one thing. I guess I can muster some mutual happiness, and I do enjoy beating the snot out of them. If, however, they go and we do not... I have no words for how filled with rage I will be.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The best thing that could happen to UConn in terms of the Big 10 fantasy membership is for UNC and VTech to join the SEC. There are 5 realistic candidates for expansion to the Big 10: Maryland, UConn, Virginia, Rutgers and UNC. I would say it is down to UConn and Maryland for the last spot, IF the Big 10 decides to go to 16. If UNC is out of the picture, there are 4 teams for 4 spots.

I do not see Notre Dame joining a conference, ever.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The best thing that could happen to UConn in terms of the Big 10 fantasy membership is for UNC and VTech to join the SEC. There are 5 realistic candidates for expansion to the Big 10: Maryland, UConn, Virginia, Rutgers and UNC. I would say it is down to UConn and Maryland for the last spot, IF the Big 10 decides to go to 16. If UNC is out of the picture, there are 4 teams for 4 spots.

Winning would certainly help. I think UConn and Rutgers are more valuable together than apart, if the goal is metro NYC TV sets. If both RU and UConn were B1G, the Big Ten network would rate as must carry. I really think womens hoops, baseball and hockey helps with the B1G because of the BTN.

Reaction Score
Bruce Feldman from cbsports.com has a new mailbag up now. Thought this question and answer was interesting:

From @Huskerinsanity: Do you think the Big Ten should be proactive with all this realignment talk? What other teams fit the Big Ten mold?
The problem with this is it'd feel like the Big Ten would be getting bigger just for bigger sake, and that's it. What else would these other programs actually bring to the conference? The schools people always just throw out as candidates, namely Rutgers and UCONN, don't really bring much. If anything, they'd water down the product in football a little more since both, realistically, would fit into the bottom half of the league. Neither has truly a significant foothold of the NYC area TV market. I suspect there's more die-hard Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State football fans in NYC than Rutgers and UCONN football.
Maryland has the academics and would offer up reach into a different, sizeable TV market but the Terps football program is horrible right now, and it's not like this program is a slam dunk from a financial model. Keeping in mind, if you add more schools, you also have to divide up the money more and you're likely to increase travel budgets for all of your sports significantly.
Notre Dame, no doubt, is intriguing but ND has flirted with the Big Ten several times before and blown off the conference, so I don't Jim Delany is in the courting mind any more.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

i do see nd joing a conf, so my list hurts more

we need 1 of nd or unc to go somewhere else than the b10. that could be nd to the b12 or unc to the sec. 1 of those 2 has to happen for us. nd will take certain school with them to b12 or b10(md is 1 i think). unc if the sec is its pick will take uva with them. at this point mizzu and kansas have been ruled out i think.

examples:

unc and uva to the sec
b10s list is now nd/md/ruty/uconn

nd to the b12. they take 5 schools with them. fsu/clem/gt will be 3 of those. vt/pitt/md/ncst will fight for those last 2 spots

if the sec takes vt/ncst before other things happen, then we know we are in big trouble. that leave unc/uva for the b10 and we are way down on the b10 list now.

my dream that has a .00002% chance is:
b12-nd/fsu/clem/gt/md/pitt
sec-ncst/vt
b10-unc/uva/ruty/uconn
this puts us in a eastern division with psu/tosu/ind/pur....gold for us. our bball is in the best bball conf possible(16 round robin schedule +3 rivals games, that includes uconn/unc/mich/msu/ind-5 of top 10 ever). baseball and soccer and other sports are with unc/uva/mich which is the best of the best in the other sports world, puck also is a great setup for us. our school profile fits the b10 mostly and our admissions/school rankings are getting there also. between ruty/uconn/psu/mich the b10 is 75% of nyc. nd gets a chunk but goes father away(b12) so they feel the effects a small bit(no bet etc...). our fball is in a league with other big publics and we are the small guy. its like buying the smallest/worst house on the block then making it just as good as the others over time bringing its value very high(stadium exp etc...). in this division psu/tosu will be the big dogs but all the other teams we would be on par with which means some more building and growing could give us a great shot at being competitive most years with a couple b10 ship game chances a decade. would be our best case and a great home for us.

the acc can burn in h e double hockey sticks

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I tend to think Nostical is totally correct that Herbst is eying the B10. I think she is tailoring UConn to look like a B10 school and she is doing it on purpose. Whether or not that gets us into the B10, I have no idea.

UConn and Rutgers in the B10 make more sense than UNC etc. because they are northern schools with northern culture. IMO, the B10 could add UConn and Rutgers as a gateway to adding MD and UVA. Then, you have some geography and culture that makes sense and.

I see UNC as a great add for the SEC and I see that state as SEC material. North Carolina is a southern state through and through.

North Carolina in the B10 just doesn't make sense unless the SEC doesn't want them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I tend to think Nostical is totally correct that Herbst is eying the B10. I think she is tailoring UConn to look like a B10 school and she is doing it on purpose. Whether or not that gets us into the B10, I have no idea.

I get this feeling as well but I really don't have much that supports it. I'm also not confident that she'd be successful.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
My biggest reservation is that we are probably some years away from being a solid B10 candidate. We need some time for Herbst to work her magic on the research / academia profile, and for football to build a more solid case. If the B10 keeps 4 spots open for 5-10 years UConn will be able to compete head to head with anybody. If they are going to make their move to 14-16 in the next 2 years it might hurt UConn's chances of ever getting in, relative to the other candidates.

Reaction Score
Occasionally someone brings up the notion that for a university to join the Big 10, the state in which the university is located must be contiguous with another Big 10 state. That would be no problem for UMd or Rutgers because their states are adjacent to PA with PSU. UConn would require a waiver if there really is such a rule. Can someone here confirm one way or the other and/or comment on how tightly the Big 10 schools might cling to the rule if it does exist?

Reaction Score
Rutgers to the B1G!!!!!

Satan just ordered a parka and snow shoes.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Occasionally someone brings up the notion that for a university to join the Big 10, the state in which the university is located must be contiguous with another Big 10 state. That would be no problem for UMd or Rutgers because their states are adjacent to PA with PSU. UConn would require a waiver if there really is such a rule. Can someone here confirm one way or the other and/or comment on how tightly the Big 10 schools might cling to the rule if it does exist?

our wavier is something called NYC. that little piece of land that nj and ct really mean more to than ny. if the b10 gets nd/ruty/uconn to go with mich/psu's already tv views, nyc is b10 country accept once every 30 years when cuse makes it to a final 4, and its for only that weekend.

Reaction Score
SNY's coverage of UConn over that of Ruttys coverage has to hold some weight and together the B1G has to realize that huge tri state area college fan base is bigger than people are giving the two schools credit for. Everyone always claims this is a pro sports market. Both schools will grow their fan bases tremendously if they are put in the B1G. These two publics have more potential than any other in the northeast. UConn just needs to add 15,000 seats. I know it's still a pipe dream, but the Rent and Rutgers would easily sell out every game with B1G teams coming in weekly. Where are we in relation? like Minn and Illinois potential? Will the B1G be willing to accept that. We have to be better than NW and Indiana.

Reaction Score
SNY's coverage of UConn over that of Ruttys coverage has to hold some weight and together the B1G has to realize that huge tri state area college fan base is bigger than people are giving the two schools credit for. Everyone always claims this is a pro sports market. Both schools will grow their fan bases tremendously if they are put in the B1G. These two publics have more potential than any other in the northeast. UConn just needs to add 15,000 seats. I know it's still a pipe dream, but the Rent and Rutgers would easily sell out every game with B1G teams coming in weekly. Where are we in relation? like Minn and Illinois potential? Will the B1G be willing to accept that. We have to be better than NW and Indiana.

People that think UConn has reached its high water mark in football are being totally unfair. With so little time playing big league football, our accomplishments are remarkable.

For the 101th time on this board, folks that say UConn will never play championship level football, fear the UConn will play championship level football. We win at everything we play. Period. duck Minnesota. We don't role like them.

Reaction Score
"I'm on the faculty at PSU."

Uh-huh. I would never make such a statement about my own institution on a public message board. i usually say very little when it comes to y home school. "Yo Bob, there's some Yahoo on the Rutgers message board claiming he's faculty with inside info from the BOT!" uh-huh.

Not to mention that PSU just had a rancorous BOT election last week in which many members were evicted for new blood. There's a boy's club at the center of the BOT, the inner sanctum, that deals with questions like this. These are heavyweights.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

It depends on how tightly the B1G can cling to the added wads of cash that will determine how tight the B1G will cling to that rule. In other words, if it means the B1G gets paid, they'll pick up a team in Micronesia.

Reaction Score
You really want to own the NYC market it's ND, Rutgers, Cuse and UConn to the BiG with the hoops tourney in NYC. The football would take care of itself over time. Cuse doesn't fit the public profile but if they build a larger outdoor football stadium it would be an upgrade in ticket income. UNC is better in womens hoops, the soccers etc but they don't fit the profile.

Reaction Score
Would someone please explain to me why the Big 10 would want Rutgers over Uconn. We are better in every major sport. The NY market - really ?

Reaction Score
You have to be in the AAU to be invited to the Big 10 so that's why they would take Rutgers over UConn. The only exception would be Notre Dame.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You have to be in the AAU to be invited to the Big 10 so that's why they would take Rutgers over UConn. The only exception would be Notre Dame.

thats 100% false if u knew anything about the aau and whats happening with it currently. in fact the only thing more false then that statement is this- "rutgers brings the nyc market".

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
thats 100% false if u knew anything about the aau and whats happening with it currently. in fact the only thing more false then that statement is this- "rutgers brings the nyc market".

To add to that, I think that Nebraska lost their AAU status around the same time that they were invited, and the Big10 did not make a big deal about it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To add to that, I think that Nebraska lost their AAU status around the same time that they were invited, and the Big10 did not make a big deal about it.

Actually, there were quotes from someone at the B1G saying that they wouldn't have been invited without the AAU membership, of if the B1G knew they would lose it (lost the following year). I don't know if that's true or not, but it was widely reported. I think it is safe to say that AAU membership matters, if not as a litmus test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom