Penn State is on borrowed time | The Boneyard

Penn State is on borrowed time

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Down (again) against a pretty pedestrian Miami team in the first half. I hope they pull it out so that they are top 10 when they play UConn in a week, but they appear to be quite overrated at this point. A correction seems inevitable.

On another note, Central Michigan is giving ND a game in the first half. I imagine ND wins going away, but definitely made me do a double take when I saw the score.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This propensity for falling behind and then having to make a comeback is completely infuriating and unnecessary but unfortunately consistent and will be until they get burned a few times..

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Halftime scores

ND 40 Cent Michigan 39 (This team that has put up 39 first half pts on the Irish is 2-2, BTW)

Miami 36 Penn St 29 (Wake up Lions)

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Rutgers is getting crushed by Princeton early in the 2nd half. Oh my geez. This team, sometimes gives me a headache. Wake up girls!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Penn State really struggling taking care of the ball. Already 19 TOs early 2nd half.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Rutgers is getting crushed by Princeton early in the 2nd half. Oh my geez. This team, sometimes gives me a headache. Wake up girls!
What's up? Lack of scoring?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting night! I'm watching the Virginia/Minnesota game! I really think Joanne Boyle will make the Cavaliers a respectable ACC team!

Reaction Score
Down in flames to an unranked team, as well as Rutgers, and ND squeeked out a win against the dreaded Central Michican team. WOOOOW!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Strange night for scores. Teams you'd expect to cruise having trouble with teams you wouldn't expect. Miami was ranked at one point, weren't they? Still, Taking out PSU does not bode well for the happy valley team... Think they will keep it to under 30 vs. UCONN? I suspect the final score will look much like aTm and Purdue...

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Miami is hard to beat on their home court. They have lost only once in three years there.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Strange night for scores. Teams you'd expect to cruise having trouble with teams you wouldn't expect. Miami was ranked at one point, weren't they? Still, Taking out PSU does not bode well for the happy valley team... Think they will keep it to under 30 vs. UCONN? I suspect the final score will look much like aTm and Purdue...
Unless this loss serves as a wakeup call to Penn State and they start playing like the team they were at the end of last season, they will get absolutely shredded by UConn. They may anyway. The only thing that could keep them in the game is that teams seem to be able to hit threes against UConn, and certainly PSU has some gals who can shoot. However, I imagine perimeter D is going to be a point of emphasis for Geno (given that we've established no one except Baylor and maybe Stanford is going to be able to do much inside against the Huskies).

Miami was indeed ranked at the start of the season, but that was more of a courtesy ranking given that they were a top 10 team last season and KM is a fine coach.

Reaction Score
PSU has about a snowballs chance in hell of beating this UConn team!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Down in flames to an unranked team, as well as Rutgers, and ND squeeked out a win against the dreaded Central Michican team. WOOOOW!!!

Diggins had a pretty good game for the Irish, scoring 25 points (6-15 fgs), 6 stls, 4 assts and 4 TOs. You'll be shocked to know that Diggins shot 14 FTs, 2 more than the entire Cent Michigan team shot. ND as a team shot 31 FTs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Miami was highly ranked last year--when they had Shenice Johnson and Riquna Williams.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Diggins had a pretty good game for the Irish, scoring 25 points (6-15 fgs), 6 stls, 4 assts and 4 TOs. You'll be shocked to know that Diggins shot 14 FTs, 2 more than the entire Cent Michigan team shot. ND as a team shot 31 FTs.
That statline underscores a central problem ND has, namely, it's generally not a good thing in basketball when your point guard is your best scorer.

Reaction Score
That statline underscores a central problem ND has, namely, it's generally not a good thing in basketball when your point guard is your best scorer.

You are right. McBride is solid, and Lloyd could be by the end of the year, and there is no offensive post presence .

Reaction Score
did any sane person think PSU was the #6 team in the country ?

Ya, but someone has to be ranked sixth! Seriously, like last year, does it even matter this season who is ranked where after the first four teams. Clearly, UConn, Stanford, Baylor and Duke are heads and tails better than the rest of the field. Obviously Penn St. and Kentucky are pretenders...and believe me when I say Notre Dame is no where in the vicinity of the top four teams. Did you see tonight's ND box score vs. CMU? Muffet basically used a seven player rotation with the two of the seven (Cable and Turner) combining to shoot 0-7 in 30 minutes of play; both of these players have absolutely NO offensive skill set and only shoot the ball when they are left wide-open, and even then they can't hit the broad side of a barn. Surprisingly, Michaela Mabrey who performed so well for the USA U17 team is not "getting it yet" at the college level and tallied only two minutes of playing time. Meanwhile, Markisha Wright who started the first game already has seen her role diminished to a mere four minutes, this coming after Muffet was reluctant to play her much last season and despite the fact, she is one of only three post players for this year's Irish squad -- it's almost like Muffet is daring her to transfer! Believe me, if she isn't playing this year, she isn't going to be playing much next season with Taya Reimer, Kristina Nelson and Diamond Thompson coming on-board.

Not only does ND lack both skill and depth at the post position, they lack ANY bench talent period. It will be interesting to see how much Geno decides to run up the score on Muffet come the conference opener on the Huskies home turf.

Reaction Score
give Mabrey a year to adjust to college, and see if she develops. You are right, Wright is not going to ever play .

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
PSU did not impress me when they just played in So California this past weekend.
They didnt take the lead in the game vs Cal State Northridge until there was 3+ minutes left in the game. That was only because CSUN couldnt hit the broad side of a barn in the last 5 minutes of the game.
CSUN is picked to win the Big West, but that conference is not strong.
If UConn doesnt blow them away by 15+ points it should be considered a loss.

Reaction Score
Pull out your pocket watches, ladies and gentlemen, and count off the minutes until someone starts babbling about an off-year in women's college basketball. Vols fans are especially in love with that meme, especially when it looks like UConn might run away with the title.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Interesting night! I'm watching the Virginia/Minnesota game! I really think Joanne Boyle will make the Cavaliers a respectable ACC team!

I agree..... they will definitely be respectable this season (they were respectable last season... just ask Tennessee ;)) UVA could be a NCAA team this season... and should be a upper division ACC squad for years to come.

Miami is hard to beat on their home court. They have lost only once in three years there.

;) And whats the only team to have beaten them at home in the past 3 years ?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
That would be Tennessee. :)

;) And whats the only team to have beaten them at home in the past 3 years ?[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom