Peck vs Ward confrontation - real or wrestling type confrontation? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Peck vs Ward confrontation - real or wrestling type confrontation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But they only knew that because they graduated out of American school systems decades ago. Most kids nowadays wouldn't have a clue about what's north of NY. "Um, is it North York?"
Ward, or was it Peck?, made the statement that Stef's home in Port Jervis is "near Rochester New York". Uh, no, not even close.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Ward, or was it Peck?, made the statement that Stef's home in Port Jervis is "near Rochester New York". Uh, no, not even close.

Nothing is near Rochester.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
That was Pam. Perhaps she confused Port Jervis with Port Gibson, which is just a little east of Rochester. But the only people who have ever heard of Port Gibson are people who live in Port Gibson.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Nothing is near Rochester.
Actually, Greece is very near Rochester, and maybe if Holly is interested in lining up an international game for the Vols, she can check out flying into Rochester for a game before traveling southward to California, PA for that West Coast game she was hoping for.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Port Jervis is several hours from Rochester. It's closer to New York City.
Port Jervis is on the Delaware river, where New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania all meet.

Rochester used to have a pro NBA team, the Rochester Royals, which became the Cincinnati Royals. Maurice Stokes played for the Rochester Royals.

And that's today's trivia lesson...

Reaction Score
I thought they did a great job, especially the part when they informed everyone " Connecticut was the state just north of New York"

Wonder if she meant New York City or New York State. If the latter, then she's way off, since the great majority of New York State is north of even the furthest-north point of CT.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I laugh every time an announcer refers to Port Jervis as being in upstate N.Y.. about 90% of N.Y.'s land mass is north of Port Jervis.

Sounded like the two were very prickly over the exchange in the OP.

Reaction Score
No big deal, its like friends jabbing each other, all in good fun.......IS ESPN trying to find a new home for CP this year?

Reaction Score
It seemed to come out of the blue to me. I thought they were just getting bored by the blowout and were kidding each other.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I just heard it, thanks for posting, and it was a squirmer, unplanned, and not friendly.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I liked when Peck referred to MSG as Market Square Arena
That had me hoping that TJI hadn't gotten tickets for all the Boneyarders to the wrong venue. ;):confused:;)

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
For those who listened, and I use the word loosely, to Ward and Peck do you think their little confrontation was real?

Yes, and anything that leads to Peck's removal works for me.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Port Jervis is several hours from Rochester. It's closer to New York City.

?? I know. I was trying to make a joke about Rochester.

Reaction Score
And this is the same Ward who during a previous UConn broadcast when she said Connecticut felt the need to interject about four different times that they liked to be called UConn now. She comes off as dopey and not funny. However people here feel about Carolyn Peck she did win a national championship as a coach at Purdue and whenever she gets to the point in her life when she forgets 80% of her basketball knowledge she will still know 10 times more than Pam Ward.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Wonder if she meant New York City or New York State. If the latter, then she's way off, since the great majority of New York State is north of even the furthest-north point of CT.

Good observation.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It sounded like 2 people who were both reading from the same talking points memo, ward just got there first.

Reaction Score
MS Peck forgot to hit the makeup room before the game..........OUCH!!.............
Perhaps a refreshing change? Most look like the Avon lady blew up in their faces.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And this is the same Ward who during a previous UConn broadcast when she said Connecticut felt the need to interject about four different times that they liked to be called UConn now. She comes off as dopey and not funny. However people here feel about Carolyn Peck she did win a national championship as a coach at Purdue and whenever she gets to the point in her life when she forgets 80% of her basketball knowledge she will still know 10 times more than Pam Ward.
Whatever Peck may have known and still knows about basketball, it has always been her inability to communicate it coherently that has made listening to her painful. And the fact that she is from Tennessee and was a coach on Pat's 1994-95 squad seems in my view to have colored her view of UConn, as she seems to need a Heimlich maneuver applied to her every time she is forced to say anything nice about the Huskies other than an obvious "they are playing better than anyone else" type of remark.

She tried to ditch that NC-winning Purdue team she had inherited from Nell Forten before the second season began to take an WNBA job, but the senior players made her feel guilty enough about leaving them to their third coach in three years that she stuck around, and a determined group of players fought their way to the championship when they got the opportunity. She is still the only black coach of a WCBB champ, which is a tribute to her unique position, but I m not aware of any mass group of WCBB fans that consider her any kind of genius regarding basketball knowledge.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I thought they did a great job, especially the part when they informed everyone " Connecticut was the state just north of New York"
And Steph Dolson is from Port Jervis NY just outside of "Rochester"???? I was 2 rows off the court with my "gang"- thanks Helen!!!! and I watched/listened to the game twice since- and Carolyn Peck was really off, pronouncing players names wrong, and really slow on the draw. I like her alot. I think something may be going on with her-seriously. But I also think Pam Ward didn't cut her any slack as I think she was segwaying in with the point of U Conn's point dominance over ranked teams. I think it was really a terrible display on behalf of Pam Ward. When you are part of a team, you should try to help your team mate, and move forward as seamlessly as possible. I remember when Don Crici came back to do a U Conn N Dame game last yr or the yr before, he was getting Maybrey mixed up with KML possibly on every call, and his partner occasionally corrected politely at certain times in a discreet manor. Pam was piling on and made it personal and uncomfortable. IMO.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Sorry- i didn't read the entire thread when I made my post- sorry about adding to the Port Jervis- Rochester thing!

I Promise to become a better, kinder, gentler and more thorough poster in 2014. Reading posts and threads completely. Understanding the essence of each post. Thinking before I type. Proofing and asking myself- do I really want to post this, will anyone care- will I care?
Will try to stay on the essence of the thread - no veering!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm with Dobbs - her style of coaching was "rah-rah" and she was no great success either in the pros or when she tried to build a program herself.

I find Pam Ward quite good - I think she has a rather dry sense of humor; I think the presumption that she doesn't know much about women's basketball is not necessarily valid. There is a lot we don't always know - the Nell Fortner referenced above was a color commentator for one of the Women's Volleyball Regional Finals - it turns out that she was a 2 sport athlete and a good volleyball player, although her coaching career was in basketball.

Reaction Score
Whatever Peck may have known and still knows about basketball, it has always been her inability to communicate it coherently that has made listening to her painful. And the fact that she is from Tennessee and was a coach on Pat's 1994-95 squad seems in my view to have colored her view of UConn, as she seems to need a Heimlich maneuver applied to her every time she is forced to say anything nice about the Huskies other than an obvious "they are playing better than anyone else" type of remark.

She tried to ditch that NC-winning Purdue team she had inherited from Nell Forten before the second season began to take an WNBA job, but the senior players made her feel guilty enough about leaving them to their third coach in three years that she stuck around, and a determined group of players fought their way to the championship when they got the opportunity. She is still the only black coach of a WCBB champ, which is a tribute to her unique position, but I m not aware of any mass group of WCBB fans that consider her any kind of genius regarding basketball knowledge.

I have never been a fan of Peck as a player, coach, or commentator. It's too bad she couldn't have gone the way of former Lady Vol Kara Lawson. I couldn't stand Lawson when she played for Tennessee, but I like listening to her in the studio or calling a game, men's or women's. She knows her basketball, speaks well, and gives honest, unbiased commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom