• 2:1 Jelly

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Straight Jelly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Didn’t have my first PB and jelly until I was like 20. Not a big fan, I prefer straight peanut butter. If I wanted to add something sweet, fluff is a better add on than jelly IMO. I know I’ll probably get roasted for that

Reaction Score
Jif Creamy, Welch’s Grape on hearty whole wheat bread. 1:1:2.
Unless you build a quad like I did some nights in my growing years. 1:1:2:1:1:2:1:1.
There are better jellies but this sweet couple bring out the best of each other.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
It's the off-season, so yes I'm naturally creating a thread about the classic PB&J. Only doing this because my roommate yesterday made himself a "snack" and it turned out to be a straight jelly sandwich. That's it. With peanut butter in the cabinet, made the conscience decision to make a pure jelly sandwich. This is almost as bad as ordering a steak "well done." Naturally, I assumed he's a psychopath and needed to make this poll to prove something. How do you like your PB&J? The obvious answer, is a 2:1 peanut butter to jelly ratio. It's the perfect match. If anyone else says straight jelly I would ask the mods to keep an eye out for them. Also yes it's been a slow afternoon at work for me.
Skippy Super Chunk PB, Oatnut Bread and either Smuckers Strawberry Preserve or Grape Jam. Its been over 50 years with the only two inventions being chunky PB (next to the light bulb in terms of inventions) and oatnut bread. Before that I never suffered with Wonder Bread and Grape Jelly with my Skippy Creamy

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
when eaten, straight store brand/similar smooth pb on store white bread. pb belongs inside a pretzel nugget as far as im concerned. butter sammich? so, anyone familiar with the mayo sammich? (both on regular white bread, both more common than some may realize)

Reaction Score
Kids can't have it in school anymore so we use sun (flower) butter and welsch's grape jelly.

Reaction Score
Big PB fan. My kids aren't. Possible because they weren't allowed to have them at school during their formative elementary school years. I usually go no jelly, but if I go with jelly it's definitely the condiment, not the star.

Creamy vs. chunky: Creamy is my norm, but I like to switch it up every 4th jar or so. By the time I finish that jar I'm ready to go back to creamy.

Brand: I respect every type of PB, from natural to garbage like "goober grape." I've been steering away from sugary PB. I've been favoring Skippy Natural of late, partially because I find the kinds that require stirring to be messy and inconvenient. I think "Peanut Butter and Company" is the most overrated (although I still enjoy it).

Since we're also throwing in thread derailers, here are a few:
  • Fluffernutter (that's what she said!)? So good, but so bad. Is the fluff really that much worse than a grape jelly?
  • Do you go with different knives for the PB and the J? Wipe the knife before diving into the other? Just leave it and get PB or J trails in the other's jar?
  • Do you use your finger to snack on the PB? Do you double dip that finger?
I lick the knife before going from the PB to the jelly.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Didn’t have my first PB and jelly until I was like 20. Not a big fan, I prefer straight peanut butter. If I wanted to add something sweet, fluff is a better add on than jelly IMO. I know I’ll probably get roasted for that
Fluff and raspberry jam is great when your sugar is low.

Reaction Score
How? Allergies in the house?

Reaction Score
Use two seperate butter knives to spread. Use cashew butter instead of peanut butter. I'll try various jelly's, blueberry, fig as well as traditional grape, and lightly toast the bread, it will spread better

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'd be more concerned about leaving figs on your counter while the wasp larvae mature and start flying around the kitchen than eating the squiggly little suckers. They're just protein.

Reaction Score
This is the time of year I crush a bunch of my favorite sandwiches. Fresh tomato and mayo on potato bread. I'll probably do 2 a day for the next few weeks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is the time of year I crush a bunch of my favorite sandwiches. Fresh tomato and mayo on potato bread. I'll probably do 2 a day for the next few weeks.
I skip the mayo and bread and just slice and eat my fresh tomatoes as is; or I pop my yellow grape tomatoes like life savers.

A friend of mine grows all sorts of ridiculously crazy hot peppers--the ones that top the Scoville scale--and every year he gives me a bag with a bunch of them for me to take home (and use very sparingly and with extreme caution). One year he gave them to me in a gallon freezer bag that was mostly filled with grape tomatoes from his garden. I removed the peppers and set them aside, and the rest of the bag was just grape tomatoes that were essentially laced with the oil that rubbed off the skins of the hot peppers. Turned out to be a great accidental benefit because they were ridiculously tasty and addictive with a very pleasant slow burn that was not overwhelming.

Reaction Score
I can no longer lurk thanks to this thread lol
I had a friend who used to eat cheese & jelly 'wiches. Tasted OK. BTW, Teddie's PB is my jam.
I know the... I think granddaughter? Of the founder of Teddie’s. Went to grad school together. Michelle. From North Reading MA I believe. Cool chick

A girl in my class in elementary school had butter sandwiches for lunch every day. Yep, just butter and bread, cold. Like a 1/4" thick of butter. I haven't seen or heard of her since, but I still remember her name because of those frigging gross sandwiches she used to eat.
It’s some messed up Germanic European thing. But it’s only “messed up” to us because we don’t have the quality butter and meat they do. Old school Germans ate raw pork; unfathomable here in the States

My grandparents ate butter breads because they grew up in NY during the depression. One slice with butter. Grandpa ate ketchup breads back then too. I imagine few of us here know what that kind of poverty is like. Pretended to have Mumps on Thanksgiving to get some food lol but I digress. Grandma would make a butter bread and pour a glass of ginger ale for me when I was little and not feeling well

My first trip to Europe was to Switzerland and Germany (still the best trip of my life so far). Landed in Zurich. I remember it being a multi-level airport like a mall, and as we were headed down towards the train in the bottom level, we were starving after a 9 hour flight. We see a pretzel kiosk and walk up, I’m pumped because I’m HUGE on pretzels (Uber-Germanic myself). Get close to the kiosk and I’m looking at the display of pretzels and I can’t even recognize 75% of what I’m looking at. So I get the most normal-looking pretzel, cut sideways like into a sandwich, with some quarter-inch slice of white stuff in between. I’m thinking it’s Switzerland, at worst it’s some cheese.

Nope.

It was a sandwich that was basically bread, mayo spread, butter, mayo spread, bread.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can no longer lurk thanks to this thread lol

I know the... I think granddaughter? Of the founder of Teddie’s. Went to grad school together. Michelle. From North Reading MA I believe. Cool chick

It’s some messed up Germanic European thing. But it’s only “messed up” to us because we don’t have the quality butter and meat they do. Old school Germans ate raw pork; unfathomable here in the States

My grandparents ate butter breads because they grew up in NY during the depression. One slice with butter. Grandpa ate ketchup breads back then too. I imagine few of us here know what that kind of poverty is like. Pretended to have Mumps on Thanksgiving to get some food lol but I digress. Grandma would make a butter bread and pour a glass of ginger ale for me when I was little and not feeling well

My first trip to Europe was to Switzerland and Germany (still the best trip of my life so far). Landed in Zurich. I remember it being a multi-level airport like a mall, and as we were headed down towards the train in the bottom level, we were starving after a 9 hour flight. We see a pretzel kiosk and walk up, I’m pumped because I’m HUGE on pretzels (Uber-Germanic myself). Get close to the kiosk and I’m looking at the display of pretzels and I can’t even recognize 75% of what I’m looking at. So I get the most normal-looking pretzel, cut sideways like into a sandwich, with some quarter-inch slice of white stuff in between. I’m thinking it’s Switzerland, at worst it’s some cheese.

Nope.

It was a sandwich that was basically bread, mayo spread, butter, mayo spread, bread.

This thread? This is the thread that brought you out? Not the move to the Big East, or the many off recruiting threads, or the various medical or legal advice requested threads.

Wow. PB&J.

Welcome to the Boneyard. Stay away from the Cesspool.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Brings back memories. It's been years; loved mayo, tomato and bread sandwiches. Stomached very little food as a child. Drove mom crazy. But was alway up for that sandwich. And peanut butter on Oreo cookies for desert.

Things are different today. I can't think of a food I don't want to eat. Nine times out of ten I read one of these threads and I want to get something to eat.

Getting back to the op: my favorite is peanut butter directly on a banana. But when my wife and I sit by the river at the Biltmore Estate it's peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on white or 12 grain with less jelly on the white and more on the 12 grain. This with potato chips and water, 70-80 weather, variable clouds and I could care less about The Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Brings back memories. It's been years; loved mayo, tomato and bread sandwiches. Stomached very little food as a child. Drove mom crazy. But was alway up for that sandwich.

Just had one an hour ago!

Reaction Score
As I mentioned a few pages ago I don't keep PB in the house because I am addicted and will eat the entire jar in 2-3 days.

But, the Backpack for Kids program (wonderful feel-good program which is sadly very necessary) which is big here in Sarasota County, FL is having an event next Monday and asked that everyone bring, in addition to a checkbook, jars of PB and J.

Publix supermarket has Skippy PB 2 for 1 this week so I bought a case which will be sitting in the kitchen for seven days. Having previously seen my PB addiction in action, my wife has put packing tape across the top of the box and signed it, thinking I'll be too embarrassed to break the royal seal and take food from some really needy kids.

This is going to be a tough week, I went hungry as a kid in New Haven so I have a ton of empathy for these kids, but I already have the shakes and there's no local program for food addictions.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned a few pages ago I don't keep PB in the house because I am addicted and will eat the entire jar in 2-3 days.

But, the Backpack for Kids program (wonderful feel-good program which is sadly very necessary) which is big here in Sarasota County, FL is having an event next Monday and asked that everyone bring, in addition to a checkbook, jars of PB and J.

Publix supermarket has Skippy PB 2 for 1 this week so I bought a case which will be sitting in the kitchen for seven days. Having previously seen my PB addiction in action, my wife has put packing tape across the top of the box and signed it, thinking I'll be too embarrassed to break the royal seal and take food from some really needy kids.

This is going to be a tough week, I went hungry as a kid in New Haven so I have a ton of empathy for these kids, but I already have the shakes and there's no local program for food addictions.
I was going to suggest buying yourself a jar as an alternative to the temptation. On 2nd thought it'd be more entertaining if you try to fight it, succumb to your cravings and then have to buy replacement jars. Please videotape your attempts to reseal!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
4 pages in and no Jelly vs. Jam joke?

Reaction Score
Have to have Skippys smooth (my wife bought the crunchy by mistake my pup and the woodpeckers outside, squirrels too loved the mistake) and squeezable Welch's Jelly and yes 2:1 and will not eat one if for some reason we don't have 1% milk in the fridge. Still a go to favorite when it's fend for yourself after a long day at work. hate to say a handful of either Frito's or Utz chips is the end of a perfect plate. LOL

Oh and the occasional PB and Marshmallow has been found too. All Keto for me when this happens :eek:

Townhouse crackers with PB and a glass of milk after a few beers are an issue for me. I haven't let my wife by Townhouse or Ritx for a while I just can't say no to sleeve after golf.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom