OT: - Pats 0-16 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Pats 0-16

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
My girl asked me last night what his deal was and why she heard he was only gonna be around another year and I was explaining the Mahomes thing and part of it was yeah Smith is like Andy Dalton Plus. Will win you a few games, might get you deep in the playoffs here or there, but will never win you the big game

I called it right after we drafted Mahomes that alex smith will have his best year ever. Hes gonna play loose and free for the first time ever. Hes got nothin to lose. His contracts up and his replacement has been hired.

KC also dumped maclin to groom the wrs for mahomes style. They kept on a big fast raw 2nd year kid outta michigan (robinson) and the other kid jehu chesson (sp?) who are more stretch the field players than possesion guys like maclin. The shift from the west coast offense to a more vertical offense will happen throughout the season.

Its a transition year but with upside of catching lightning in a bottle with the rise of hunt and a loose year from alex.

Reaction Score
I can't really remember another game from Brady where he wasn't being pressured and just blatantly missing his throws.
Yet not a peep from the announcers? Or any articles? Sportswriters? Wouldn't they be all over that? I saw pass after pass upfield to blanket covered receivers.
Throw me a bone here - I'm willing to fairly assess your theory, but I didn't see what you saw. Can you point to a particular play? Reviewer? Coach comment? Brady admission? Anything?

Reaction Score
Yet not a peep from the announcers? Or any articles? Sportswriters? Wouldn't they be all over that? I saw pass after pass upfield to blanket covered receivers.
Throw me a bone here - I'm willing to fairly assess your theory, but I didn't see what you saw. Can you point to a particular play? Reviewer? Coach comment? Brady admission? Anything?

I've heard a few people share that assessment of Brady. Pretty sure Bill Simmons mentioned it on his pod, and I've heard a few of the talking heads on espn/csn say it as well. A specific play I can point to is when Pats had the ball down 1 early in the 4th and Cooks was wide open coming off a curl on the far sideline. Play was 3rd and long, Cooks wide open probably about 2-3 yards underneath his defender and Brady sails it over Cooks head to the point where Cooks had to jump out of bounds to try and catch it. There was also a seam down the middle where Cooks had a step or 2 on his man fairly deep and Brady overthrew the play by about 5 yards, and I saw the same thing happen a few times throwing to Hogan.

That's not to say that KC didn't do a good job at times in coverage, just that there were plenty of open targets during the game and Brady overthrew most of them. Way more than I've ever seen in a game where he wasn't being heavily pressured (for most of the game until the end anyways).

Now I'd definitely rather see him have too much on his throws as opposed to end of career Peyton where he struggled to get the ball more than 7-8 yards downfield, but Brady with any reasonable amount of protection is always absolute money on short-intermediate throws, so it was perplexing seeing him airmail as many throws as he did. The defense clearly fell apart after Hightower left, but hyper athletes like Hill and Hunt were always going to be an issue for this front 7 anyways, so I'm not nearly as surprised with that as I was with Brady.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've heard a few people share that assessment of Brady. Pretty sure Bill Simmons mentioned it on his pod, and I've heard a few of the talking heads on espn/csn say it as well. A specific play I can point to is when Pats had the ball down 1 early in the 4th and Cooks was wide open coming off a curl on the far sideline. Play was 3rd and long, Cooks wide open probably about 2-3 yards underneath his defender and Brady sails it over Cooks head to the point where Cooks had to jump out of bounds to try and catch it. There was also a seam down the middle where Cooks had a step or 2 on his man fairly deep and Brady overthrew the play by about 5 yards, and I saw the same thing happen a few times throwing to Hogan.

That's not to say that KC didn't do a good job at times in coverage, just that there were plenty of open targets during the game and Brady overthrew most of them. Way more than I've ever seen in a game where he wasn't being heavily pressured (for most of the game until the end anyways).

Now I'd definitely rather see him have too much on his throws as opposed to end of career Peyton where he struggled to get the ball more than 7-8 yards downfield, but Brady with any reasonable amount of protection is always absolute money on short-intermediate throws, so it was perplexing seeing him airmail as many throws as he did. The defense clearly fell apart after Hightower left, but hyper athletes like Hill and Hunt were always going to be an issue for this front 7 anyways, so I'm not nearly as surprised with that as I was with Brady.

He IS capable of bad games though, rare as they may be. I mean, this isn't the first stinker he's ever laid. So I'm not sure it's instructive to say that 'he looks old' or he's 'slipping' etc.

One thing is for sure. He didn't look very comfortable. I mean, he had an illegal forward pass for gods sake. Hasn't had one of those in over a decade.

Reaction Score
A specific play I can point to is when Pats had the ball down 1 early in the 4th and Cooks was wide open coming off a curl on the far sideline. Play was 3rd and long, Cooks wide open probably about 2-3 yards underneath his defender and Brady sails it over Cooks head to the point where Cooks had to jump out of bounds to try and catch it. There was also a seam down the middle where Cooks had a step or 2 on his man fairly deep and Brady overthrew the play by about 5 yards, and I saw the same thing happen a few times throwing to Hogan.

The drive you are talking about was the 2nd drive the Pats had down 1 in the 4th quarter. The play you are talking about occurred at 9:06.
At this point, Amendola is out.
1st down Brady throws over middle to Hogan who has zero separation. Incomplete.
2nd and 10. Brady has gobs of time, ends up throwing the ball out of bounds on the left sideline when pressure is about to get to him because nobody was open.
3rd and 10. The play you are talking about. Cooks lines up on the left side, runs a quick out . . . that is short of the 1st down line. He does, in fact, have plenty of separation. Brady throws the ball high, hitting him in stride or close to it. Cooks jumps about 6-8 inches to catch it, but comes down with a foot out of bounds. He didn't "have to run out of bounds" to catch it - he was running an out. Too much.

That's the play you cite to support your point? LOL dude.

You got a rookie wide receiver running a bad route that would have been short of the 1st down, Brady finds him and the rook doesn't have the experience to get his 2nd foot in bounds, which it looks like he could have, had he been thinking about it. Of course, give the kid a few more weeks to learn how to run the route the OC and the QB want and expect him to run, and I'm sure he'll be fine.

That's it?

Oh my. People love to watch the mighty fall.

Reaction Score
You got a rookie wide receiver running a bad route that would have been short of the 1st down, Brady finds him and the rook doesn't have the experience to get his 2nd foot in bounds, which it looks like he could have, had he been thinking about it. Of course, give the kid a few more weeks to learn how to run the route the OC and the QB want and expect him to run, and I'm sure he'll be fine.

That's it?

Nitpicking, but Cooks isn't a rookie. It is his first year with NE and his first regular season game with the team, so maybe that's where you're going with this point.

Aside from that, I agree with your overall point and you did a nice job breaking down that series.

Reaction Score
He IS capable of bad games though, rare as they may be. I mean, this isn't the first stinker he's ever laid. So I'm not sure it's instructive to say that 'he looks old' or he's 'slipping' etc.

One thing is for sure. He didn't look very comfortable. I mean, he had an illegal forward pass for gods sake. Hasn't had one of those in over a decade.

Seems like you didn't read what I said and decided to infer the "he's old" from what I said.

Reaction Score
The drive you are talking about was the 2nd drive the Pats had down 1 in the 4th quarter. The play you are talking about occurred at 9:06.
At this point, Amendola is out.
1st down Brady throws over middle to Hogan who has zero separation. Incomplete.
2nd and 10. Brady has gobs of time, ends up throwing the ball out of bounds on the left sideline when pressure is about to get to him because nobody was open.
3rd and 10. The play you are talking about. Cooks lines up on the left side, runs a quick out . . . that is short of the 1st down line. He does, in fact, have plenty of separation. Brady throws the ball high, hitting him in stride or close to it. Cooks jumps about 6-8 inches to catch it, but comes down with a foot out of bounds. He didn't "have to run out of bounds" to catch it - he was running an out. Too much.

That's the play you cite to support your point? LOL dude.

That's it?

I'm actually a Pats fan, your reaction to what I said is bizarre. LOL at the "Brady hit Cooks in stride...Cooks only had to jump 6 inches" lines though. Simply delusional.

Good job wasting 2 sentences copy/pasting the play by play feed from the game though. I was aware of when the play occurred before my last post.

You're almost as bad as that champs99and04 guy in terms of writing more and saying less. Can't believe I responded to you legitimately prior to this.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Keep crying about Brady and I'll keep sitting in FIRST PLACE!!!

JK for all you serious types, I am aware of the Bills' relative lack of talent but that doesn't stop me from rooting.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Seems like you didn't read what I said and decided to infer the "he's old" from what I said.

I thought you were the guy that implied that earlier in the thread, not that post. Apparently not.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Keep crying about Brady and I'll keep sitting in FIRST PLACE!!!

JK for all you serious types, I am aware of the Bills' relative lack of talent but that doesn't stop me from rooting.

#billsmafia

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
#billsmafia

That stadium and our fans come early fall NEVER disappoint, say what you will about our on field product.

I put it up there with KC, Cleveland, Pitt and the likes for most loyal, passionate fan bases.

Reaction Score
I'm actually a Pats fan,
I wasn't sure that you were trolling before this . . . I've suspected it in other threads, though. You seem to post for the point of contradicting.

Look, it's this easy. You wrote, "to the point where Cooks had to jump out of bounds to try and [sic] catch it."

He did catch it. He didn't "try and [sic] catch it."

Point is, your narration made it seem like Brady threw a wild pass that the receiver valiantly dove for and missed. In reality, Cooks caught the ball, but landed with a half foot out of bounds.

The receiver catches the ball, lands with one foot half out of bounds on an out route, on a play where Edelman and Amendola are out, with the receiver running one of his first patterns for Brady, and this is what you present as Exhibit A for Brady having a bad game.

That's trolling.

To @StoweD210, who pointed out that Cooks isn't a rook - thanks - I missed that.

Reaction Score
I wasn't sure that you were trolling before this . . . I've suspected it in other threads, though. You seem to post for the point of contradicting.

Look, it's this easy. You wrote, "to the point where Cooks had to jump out of bounds to try and [sic] catch it."

He did catch it. He didn't "try and [sic] catch it."

Point is, your narration made it seem like Brady threw a wild pass that the receiver valiantly dove for and missed. In reality, Cooks caught the ball, but landed with a half foot out of bounds.

The receiver catches the ball, lands with one foot half out of bounds on an out route, on a play where Edelman and Amendola are out, with the receiver running one of his first patterns for Brady, and this is what you present as Exhibit A for Brady having a bad game.

That's trolling.

To @StoweD210, who pointed out that Cooks isn't a rook - thanks - I missed that.

That was merely the play I referenced, but it serves the purpose just fine. Brady missed a wide open stationary target ~9 yards away. Cooks had to jump to catch the ball and landed well out of bounds (the half his foot comment is a real eye roller).

Your overly aggressive attempts to berate me over this are becoming tired though, especially when you resort to misrepresenting what actually happened with the play I've referenced.

Since you're so interested in trying to argue with me, I'd suggest you go back and watch the game again, perhaps a bit more sober this time. Try to actually pay attention.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Belichick and Brady teams have now lost 4 opening day games, they won the SB after the first 3 losses

Now "past performance doesn't guarantee future results", but it helps to put a little perspective on these things

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom