Patrick Ewing gone… | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Patrick Ewing gone…

Reaction Score
Ironically, mediocrity be a step up for the Hoyas right now.
it would be step up for sure, but I would think GTown would want to get back to the days of being big time and that will never happen with Mike Brey. Choosing him would be like if you are hungry and there are some high end steakhouses (coaches) which you can afford (due to donors, boosters, endowments, that GTown has etc.) and settling for Steak Ums from the supermarket or even worse bland rice cakes. Will your hunger subside sure, but you are not feeling great.

Reaction Score
I don't know the regs but Cooley could bring along guys like Hopkins and Carter and immediately start improving Georgetown. PC had a great year last year, lost to Kansas in the regional final. Started off great this year but at 21-11, ended up as an 11 seed facing Kentucky, also 21-11, in round 1. Maybe he sees a lot more upside at Georgetown regardless of enjoying his time at PC. Let's say SJU makes a great hire. The Big East is loaded with coaches and recruiting to PC just gets more difficult.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe that anyone knows at this point. I just can’t see Cooley leaving Providence, even if the money was right. Why would a program looking to rebuild hire Mike Brey? No way.

With Lee Reed reportedly playing a much more significant role in the hiring of a new coach - he didn’t have much say in the matter when Ewing was hired - I see him going with a young-ish coach who has shown he can build or turn around a program quickly. If I had to guess, here are my top three in order:

Micah Shrewsberry -Penn State
Darian DeVries - Drake
Dennis Gates - Missouri (although his buyout is insane… something like $25 million)

Georgetown owes Ewing $14.9 million. But that school is flush with cash. My gut tells me a high buyout would not be an impediment.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I’m not a Pitino fan but my guess is he would like the challenge. It’s tougher now with NIL & transfers so coaches have less control over players. Perhaps that’s why Coaches Wright, K & Williams retired?
Tougher to prostitute a program for transfers? Nah!

Reaction Score
What's Cooley's current contract situation at PC? Does it benefit him to keep these rumors out in the open so he can angle for an extension/raise there?

Reaction Score
What's Cooley's current contract situation at PC? Does it benefit him to keep these rumors out in the open so he can angle for an extension/raise there?
It is believed that Cooley makes around $3.8 million / year currently

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is believed that Cooley makes around $3.8 million / year currently
Yeah, he's well paid. If he wasn't then this move would make more sense. I'd be surprised, but I guess I might be. It's interesting that we see several people saying they know who it is and they don't all agree.

Penn State has the money to keep Shrewsbury. But it seems they'd need to take basketball seriously.

Reaction Score
We shall find out after PC loses and Cooley meets with Georgetown with a likely follow up at PC. Doubt he leaves but for say $6Mil and control of scheduling and more who knows? Cooley to Georgetown and Pitino to PC would really be something :)

Reaction Score
We shall find out after PC loses and Cooley meets with Georgetown with a likely follow up at PC. Doubt he leaves but for say $6Mil and control of scheduling and more who knows? Cooley to Georgetown and Pitino to PC would really be something :)
Pitino is going to St. John's. I don't have proof or inside knowledge of any kind, but I am simply saying that after it was reported they have "mutual interest". I don't see Pitino going to PC, but hell, who really knows these days.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is a cool move by Georgetown. We're all competitors in the league, but there should be some unwritten rules. If Providence was underpaying Cooley, or if they were starting to get a wandering eye themselves, maybe it could be okay. Then again, our old friends Pitt, Syracuse and BC didn't mind putting a knife in our back.

I don't know Cooley (obviously), but this doesn't seem like a move he'd make. He's a Providence (town, not school) guy. This could switch him from hometown hero to a hated traitor. I wouldn't be surprised if he left Providence, but I think it will be to a different conference. He should've taken the Michigan job.

Reaction Score
Pitino is going to St. John's. I don't have proof or inside knowledge of any kind, but I am simply saying that after it was reported they have "mutual interest". I don't see Pitino going to PC, but hell, who really knows these days.
I expect Pitino to St Johns as well and he won’t even have to move. Personally I think he likes Providence and may even prefer a less hectic city at soon to be 71. Once both PC & Iona lose and if this drags on who knows.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is a cool move by Georgetown. We're all competitors in the league, but there should be some unwritten rules. If Providence was underpaying Cooley, or if they were starting to get a wandering eye themselves, maybe it could be okay. Then again, our old friends Pitt, Syracuse and BC didn't mind putting a knife in our back.

I don't know Cooley (obviously), but this doesn't seem like a move he'd make. He's a Providence (town, not school) guy. This could switch him from hometown hero to a hated traitor. I wouldn't be surprised if he left Providence, but I think it will be to a different conference. He should've taken the Michigan job.
Agreed, Providence has done everything Cooley has asked over the years. Improved the basketball facilities, gave him multiple extensions and large pay increases, increased the compensation pool for his assistants...

He's repeatedly said he's a lifer at Providence with his hometown team. I don't like that Georgetown is doing this and it's going to be a bad look if Cooley leaves.

Reaction Score
Agreed, Providence has done everything Cooley has asked over the years. Improved the basketball facilities, gave him multiple extensions and large pay increases, increased the compensation pool for his assistants...

He's repeatedly said he's a lifer at Providence with his hometown team. I don't like that Georgetown is doing this and it's going to be a bad look if Cooley leaves.
Sure we can have our opinions about Georgetown and how this makes them look poaching a coach from a fellow conference member that is based on catholic school ties. However, if there is judgement on lousy behavior or look, more of it should be directed at Cooley. Why? One based on what you wrote in your first paragraph, but second, and much more simple, Cooley could've shut the rumors down easily and he hasn't. This leads me to believe he at the very least is entertaining the GTown job for sure.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Sure we can have our opinions about Georgetown and how this makes them look poaching a coach from a fellow conference member that is based on catholic school ties. However, if there is judgement on lousy behavior or look, more of it should be directed at Cooley. Why? One based on what you wrote in your first paragraph, but second, and much more simple, Cooley could've shut the rumors down easily and he hasn't. This leads me to believe he at the very least is entertaining the GTown job for sure.
Cooley should’ve shut down the rumors whether he’s going or not. There’s no benefit to anybody having the speculation flying around this week.

If you end up going to Gtown, it’s an easy explanation as to why you said what you did - to not with your players’ tournament opportunity.

Reaction Score

Who know's what is afoot. Perhaps Georgetown won't be an in-conference rival much longer. :cool:

TJT

Reaction Score
Cooley will be the next coach at Georgetown. Negotiations through back channels have been going on for weeks as the Hoyas for a long time intended to fire Ewing immediately after the season ended.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom