Paterno Just Fired | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Paterno Just Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope the students involved in the riots are identified, prosecuted and thrown out of the school. They can start with the idiots who gave their names.

Paul Howard, Engineering student? Would you hire him now? Hey Paul, I sell software that prospective employers use to track down your history and footprint on the net. However, this one is easy, just google him. I tell my kids this all the time, don't say or post anything you cannot defend. It will follow you for years to come. There are companies that collect and sell content.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I like how one kid in the article blamed the media for JoePa's downfall. The only one to blame is himself.

Reaction Score
Notwithsatnding the abhorrent travesty of moral failing that occurred at PSU, this guy has kept it all in perspective and got it right.
"The university is much larger than its athletic teams," board vice chair John Surma said during a news conference.
It's a simple reminder that all school administrators and sports fans should never forget. As the NCAA Public Service Announcements stated: Most student-ahtletes are going pro in something other than sports.

Reaction Score
Paterno will come out of this smelling like a rose.

Not quite! Every statement that Paterno has made since this news became a national issue last week has been to minimize it's importance. He said he told his superiors about it, as if that was enough. He talked to students outside his home the Tuesday night and says "Beat Nebraska"! He decided that he'll step down...at the end of the season. He made no apologies that I'm aware of to the victims in this, and he continually has acted, at every opportunity, as if this will pass with time. He truly doesn't appreciate how important HIS inaction on this situation has been! Once the stories emerge of the molestation that occurred AFTER Paterno was informed directly, there will be very little sympathy for him. The rose you speak of, will have died on the vine!

Reaction Score
Not quite! Every statement that Paterno has made since this news became a national issue last week has been to minimize it's importance. He said he told his superiors about it, as if that was enough. He talked to students outside his home the Tuesday night and says "Beat Nebraska"! He decided that he'll step down...at the end of the season. He made no apologies that I'm aware of to the victims in this, and he continually has acted, at every opportunity, as if this will pass with time. He truly doesn't appreciate how important HIS inaction on this situation has been! Once the stories emerge of the molestation that occurred AFTER Paterno was informed directly, there will be very little sympathy for him. The rose you speak of, will have died on the vine!

He is very old at this point and has lost touch. Yes of course he has apologized and started asking for prayers for the victims and even said he should have done more, but then he still wants to play the game on Saturday. If you listen to Paterno's press cpnferences and interviews, you know he is like a good many 85 year olds. Still with it, but not very sharp. His family needs to better support him so he doesn't seem so inept.

Reaction Score
Have to believe the first step of the healing process, is PSU showing that they are taking the allegations a lot more serious than "the program". Had to be done. Good for them.
+1

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The Board of Trustees made the correct call in firing the university president and Paterno. They couldn't act sooner because they had to wait for the investigation to become official. They had legal restraints in how they had to handle things.

I'm not surprised by any of the responses we're observing, whether it is the media, the students, or the people on this board. Any event has a range of perspectives and responses. The more shocking the event the more likely there will be strong feelings and reactions. In most events if someone's response appears different than how we believe the response should be we'll disapprove that behavior. If events are shocking we'll have much stronger feelings and reactions.

Initially, the people close to PSU, will more likely have responses that defend the university and its icons, or have responses that are muted. Very few people associated with the university will immediately condemn their institution and those people they admire. As time goes on, and people get past their shock, they'll reflect on these events and admit the decisions were not only justified but necessary. They will re evaluate their heroes.

People not associated with PSU will be quick to condemn the actions. We'll want justice and payback. We'll be shocked at the support the institution and its individuals receive from the community that identifies itself with that institution. Nor are we ready to begin the process of forgiving the perpetrators. We're hurting too much.

If this happened at UConn or any other institution the situation would be reversed.

Reaction Score
Is there a chance that the AD and the VP try and cut a deal and imply Joe knew more and lied to the grand jury?

Wouldn't be the first time someone tried to save their ass.
I don't know if they would have anything to bargain with because I expect that whatever they could try to sell may well be already known.

They may try, though.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't know if that would have anything to bargain with because I expect that whatever they could try to sell may well be already known.

They may try, though.
When your head is in the chopping block a lot of stuff gets revealed to save yourself. If these incidences were confined within the university and only the people we have already know are implicated than there won't be much leverage by the people being convicted. But if there is more to this story, and sadly I suspect there is much more, then expect some of the people we know were involved but not charged, to be charged and new names to be revealed.

Reaction Score
When your head is in the chopping block a lot of stuff gets revealed to save yourself. If these incidences were confined within the university and only the people we have already know are implicated than there won't be much leverage by the people being convicted. But if there is more to this story, and sadly I suspect there is much more, then expect some of the people we know were involved but not charged, to be charged and new names to be revealed.
I agree. I'm just not sure as two of the biggest fish they will be able to deal down, unless they have the magic bullet (i.e. paper trail) to blow the whole thing open, and even then maybe not.

I also agree with you and think there is a heck of a lot more to this story, sadly, and it will come out. Hopefully as many of the kids as possible are privately identified and helped as much as can be done at this point.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I agree. I'm just not sure as two of the biggest fish they will be able to deal down, unless they have the magic bullet (i.e. paper trail) to blow the whole thing open, and even then maybe not.

I also agree with you and think there is a heck of a lot more to this story, sadly, and it will come out. Hopefully as many of the kids as possible are privately identified and helped as much as can be done at this point.
The kids are the most important part of this story. No doubt about it, and the crimes have touched a lot of nerves.

The other story is the pervasive action by those in power to corrupt the system. My suspicion is that there are some heavy hitters involved in this mess besides Paterno and Spanier. Some of them may be household names. Some not. But they are shakers and movers in this world and revealing them may not create the same reaction as discussing Paterno, but would be every bit as important because it demonstrates how wide the system of corrupted power existed around the university.

I'm not indicting Penn State. I have a sick feeling that there is a lot of skeletons in a lot of university closets. I'm hoping these revelations at Penn State will be catalysts for people to inspect their own universities. Most likely that won't happen, but I can still hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom