Pat Summitt Head Coach Emeritus | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Pat Summitt Head Coach Emeritus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Pat Summitt story is all over ESPN radio. They don't do that much coverage of WBB in a whole season.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. I think it also serves to remind the players of the continuity between Summitt and Warlick and give them the benefit of whatever Summitt can still give.
The question is, what can she give? The disease is so debilitating. Teenagers live for the present and Pat is not what she once was. The players and recruits have expectations of her based on what they have heard, and she is probably no longer able to project the same image as she once did. Kids will pick up on this. Kids can be cruel and lack understanding of what is happening.

I think TN management will try to keep Pat away from the kids. What they want to do is project the image of what Pat was, not what she is today. It's too risky to have her interact with the players/recruits. A top recruit would not be happy if Pat didn't recognize her or remember her name, or ask the same question over-and-over.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Let's agree that the situation for next season is "unique." Cantcha hear the sound of "one" or "only" in that first syllable?

Not very unique or most unique, just plain unique.

Unique is an absolute, like best, worst, least, most, fastest, slowest, and so on.

A new head coach at Tennessee is unique. Hasn't happened in a very long time. That re-defines the meaning of "unique."

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The end of an era...facing a terrible disease that robs of mind and memory...God go with Pat and her family...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yep. If UConn hadn't made it past the Elite 8 and hadn't made a Final Four in the past four years we as fans would be apoplectic.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yep. If UConn hadn't made it past the Elite 8 and hadn't made a Final Four in the past four years we as fans would be apoplectic.
But at least it would give us an excuse to use the word apoplectic with greater frequency. :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The key difference is that Chatman was only 34 at the time. She was at a point in her career where it made sense for her to be a first-time HC somewhere, be it at LSU or elsewhere.

Also did not hurt to have Augustus on the squad and Fowles lined up. Tennessee is not without talent to be sure, but those were two pretty special players.

Good point. The comparison of Pokey to this situation is not really a very good one. If my memory serves me correctly, which it often doesn't, Gunter was not present at the games when Pokey took over so there was no looming presence like there will be with Pat still being an active part of the program.

Reaction Score
Good point. The comparison of Pokey to this situation is not really a very good one. If my memory serves me correctly, which it often doesn't, Gunter was not present at the games when Pokey took over so there was no looming presence like there will be with Pat still being an active part of the program.
Curious Is there a difference between East Texas Trash and West Texas trash? Us Yankees up here are pretty clueless to any in state Texas issues

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Curious Is there a difference between East Texas Trash and West Texas trash? Us Yankees up here are pretty clueless to any in state Texas issues
East Texas Trash is sweaty, whereas West Texas Trash is dry as a bone.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
But at least it would give us an excuse to use the word apoplectic with greater frequency. :)
One of the all-time great words.

I had no idea until I left that not everyone loves Texas and Texans as much as we think they do..."American by birth, Texan by the grace of God" is a pretty common sentiment here. Did you know we were once our own country? You did? Well let me tell you all about it anyway...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sue Gunter was at many of the games when Pokey began to take over. As she became increasigly sick more and more responsibility shifted to Pokey.

Reaction Score
So, since the last NC and FF appearance, it's been 4 years. Can we use the 2012-13 season as the 5th?

Clearly, they have not been the program they have been in the past. And next year will be a problem for them, IMO.

No, this coming season is Year 1 for Ms Warlick.

Reaction Score
I do know Coach Wooden cont to have an office there,but he really did not play an active role
regarding the team after he retired in 75! After Dean Smith retired, I think he cont to have an office on the campus. No one is saying it,but Pat did not seem to be really there when I observed her on TV during games! OK I am a Clinician and my observations were that her condition appeared to be more advanced than when the public announcement was made,and what the public stance was. It really did appear to be obvious that what was aannounced today had to be done! Now if Pat is still in pretty good shape she realized this was the right decision for the program and for her. Stress is not good in general and in particular when one has Health issues! We will see how active she is. She now can be out of the llimelight as necessary. This disease is not pretty as it advances. I am guessing that this has been the plan that was developed during the season! Trt team evaluations were on going.

Is there really anyone who thought she was going to remain coach beyond the end of this past season??? I have been waiting for the announcement to be made. I think the timing in April long enough after the season was appropriate! This was at the moment the BEST decision given the circumstances.

What she will be able to do will cont to be evaluated. That process will never stop even if/when Pat is no longer in the public eye! Having a "wife" who has ALS I can tell you, these diseases are not fun or easy on anyone close oviousley including Pat! What she is lucky,given the whole thing sucks,is the support system,trt team, and finances she has available! I can go into that much deeper! For most Americans,who do not have all of the resources available to her, it is so much worse! It is really hard on the PT and the caregivers if they are the family and resources are so much more limoted!

I did not read this over,because this touches on my life,but I wanted to share Professional imput and some personal . Ira

I wish you and your wife well as the two of you battle ALS. An old friend of mine battled ALS. Even as he physically deteriorated, he was mentally sharp until the very end; and he maintained an cheerful attitude totally belying his condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom