Pasqualoni Watch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pasqualoni Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ok, I'm going to try and keep this short, but I have a couple points to make

1. The clock is ticking in HCPP, he really needs to turn this ship around and turn it around fast. Hathaway really screwed up this hiring, If Herbst was in charge at the time and Hathaway was ousted we'd either still have HCRE (I wish) or someone like Garrick Mcgee. Now I'm not saying we'd be undefeated but we wouldn't be downright awful like we are.

2. Can we please stop with the gimmicky punt block darn? Nick Williams may be the best player on the team and its sad that we're wasting his return ability by letting gunners force him to fair catch.

3. Everyone here wants to be considered for the ACC, right now we don't even deserve to be in the Big East, we look like a mid level MAC team

4. Start Neibrich the rest of the year, see if he can develop into something. JMac and Mccumings are god awful. When Cochran steps foot on campus tell him he's your guy for the next 4 years and don't look back. Of course HCPP should not be able to deliver that message because he should be gone by then.

1) I think we should tell every Head Coach that they have 4 games to make UConn a Top 25 program or they are fired.

3) Which mid-level MAC team. Buffalo? Didn't UConn just beat them by 2 TD's on the road?

4) So your advice is to start a freshman quarterback and replace him with another freshman quarterback a year from now?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL, there is zero, ZERO chance this is a one year coaching staff. Keep trying to convince yourself otherwise, though.

I'm not saying I want it, I'm saying it's possible. If they go 2-10 with a president and AD who didn't hire them, I think the possibility exists.

Reaction Score
Good one Noey! So let's say Edsall goes back on the market. Forget the politics and the improbabilities---just answer the Q. If he calls and says I want to come back, would you hire him?
No!

Our offensive problems right now are in large part attributed to his coaching and recruiting. Simply put, he failed at recruiting the QB position. He lucked out in that he recruited some studs at RB and they worked out Great. A decent passing game last year and that team wins 10 or 11 games.

So no I would not hire him, people are saying the clock is ticking on P , it is probably ticking a lot louder for Edsall at UMD after getting trounced at home by Temple. I am sure when they fired 9 win coach and hired him, UMD was expecting more. Edsall also inherrited a stud QB. How good would we be with Danny O'brien?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
DFPOTY

Ok, I'm going to try and keep this short, but I have a couple points to make

1. The clock is ticking in HCPP, he really needs to turn this ship around and turn it around fast. Hathaway really screwed up this hiring, If Herbst was in charge at the time and Hathaway was ousted we'd either still have HCRE (I wish) or someone like Garrick Mcgee. Now I'm not saying we'd be undefeated but we wouldn't be downright awful like we are.

2. Can we please stop with the gimmicky punt block darn? Nick Williams may be the best player on the team and its sad that we're wasting his return ability by letting gunners force him to fair catch.

3. Everyone here wants to be considered for the ACC, right now we don't even deserve to be in the Big East, we look like a mid level MAC team

4. Start Neibrich the rest of the year, see if he can develop into something. JMac and Mccumings are god awful. When Cochran steps foot on campus tell him he's your guy for the next 4 years and don't look back. Of course HCPP should not be able to deliver that message because he should be gone by then.

Reaction Score
Good one Noey! So let's say Edsall goes back on the market. Forget the politics and the improbabilities---just answer the Q. If he calls and says I want to come back, would you hire him?

no way!!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Worst possible case scenario (in terms of the length of Pasqualoni's tenure, not necessarily the future of our football program) gives Pasqualoni the remainder of this season and all of next season at a minimum.

If Herbst does bring in a mover and shaker at AD and that AD has the next great coach already in his/her sites (similar to Luck with Holgorsen), that AD won't be in house for a while and will need to allow at least one football season to transpire before making any moves.

Breaking in two new guards (with a career tackle playing right guard, and a career tackle splitting time at left guard) has hurt our lineplay and (from what I understand as something was wrtitten about this earlier in the week) using a new blocking philosophy hasn't helped to date as we obviously are behind on the learning curve.

This is very frustrating as the OLine is a unit that we expected to be a strength without question, especially with the talent we've returned.

Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous OP.

First off, UConn was left void of talents like Donald Brown and Jordan Todman. Rushers averaged about 2 yards per rush. How is that a UConn rush offense?! Second, our OL has been just absolutely pathetic. When they gave McEntee time, he could make plays. But with an OL as porous as ours have been sometimes, we could have Kellen Moore, and we'd still be bad.

Reaction Score
1) I think we should tell every Head Coach that they have 4 games to make UConn a Top 25 program or they are fired?
Uh yes. I don't want to be Indiana. Or Oregon St. Or wazzu. Or Rutgers. Or Illinois. Or, well you get the picture

Reaction Score
Uh yes. I don't want to be Indiana. Or Oregon St. Or wazzu. Or Rutgers. Or Illinois. Or, well you get the picture

Go back to wherever you came from. This is just ridiculous.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly Oregon St has spent the bulk of the past few years ranked (and even upset a then undefeated and top ranked USC on national television a few years back). Also, Isn't illinois ranked as we speak?

At the moment we aren't close to being able to hang with an Alabama or LSU. Vince Lombardi could be running the show and we still wouldn't be able to hang with those schools. If PPasq can bring in better players than we've had and we can get our offense and defense working correctly, we'll become a program that is ranked more often than not. If he can't, then we look to replace him.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Oregon State is 29-16 in the Pac 10 over the last 5 years, with one losing season. Oregon State is averaging almost 6-3 in Pac 10 over that stretch. Why wouldn't you want to do that?

Do you know anything about college football?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous OP.

First off, UConn was left void of talents like Donald Brown and Jordan Todman. Rushers averaged about 2 yards per rush. How is that a UConn rush offense?! Second, our OL has been just absolutely pathetic. When they gave McEntee time, he could make plays. But with an OL as porous as ours have been sometimes, we could have Kellen Moore, and we'd still be bad.

Part of the problem was that the pass plays took too much time to develop. I noticed a shift last night, and I'm encouraged by it. It looks like PP is running somthing like the Patiots 2001 Tom Brady offense. Slants and quick read pass plays. Short throws with the ball not going more than 10-15 yards. Williams is a great fit in a scheme like that and obviously showed it last night.
Let's see how this plays out. I agree he deserves a chance to adjust and recruit his own guys. He has the defense playing very well. If he can get McEntee to thrive in a short passing and running ball control offense, this team can still be competitive. Vandy hung with South Carolina a long time yesterday on the road. They're decent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Vanderbilt had a grand total of 77 yards of total offense.

Reaction Score
Let Coach P have a few reruiting classes of his own before calling for his head.

The one thing I do blame the staff for so far is letting JMac throw on 3rd down at Vandy when our D was dominating them. If we ran the ball on that down and punted no way Vandy would have scored the rest of the game.

He was left with no experienced QB and no real experienced RB.

No wonder the offense looks about as exciting as paint drying.

The one thing I would say is that the staff has to let Nebrich play to see if he is the future QB.

If he is not we have to think about at least adding a JUCO for next year.

Reaction Score
Guys - Oregon St didn't win more than four games during a 25 year stretch in the 70's - 90's. They've been historically miserable. Wazzu also had Bledsoe once upon a time, even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while. PP is pretty close to being a blinds squirrel, I don't want to wait around for him to find his nut.

Edit - ok that may not have come out right

Reaction Score
No!

Our offensive problems right now are in large part attributed to his coaching and recruiting. Simply put, he failed at recruiting the QB position. He lucked out in that he recruited some studs at RB and they worked out Great. A decent passing game last year and that team wins 10 or 11 games.

So no I would not hire him, people are saying the clock is ticking on P , it is probably ticking a lot louder for Edsall at UMD after getting trounced at home by Temple. I am sure when they fired 9 win coach and hired him, UMD was expecting more. Edsall also inherrited a stud QB. How good would we be with Danny O'brien?
We would be 4-0

Reaction Score
Coach PP is not lighting them up. Again, there was confusion on and off the field. These are just basic signs of core problems in management, discipline and preparation. The O line should have been dominating but they looked uninspired and dejected. This is a failure of leadership.

With 10 years invested, we cannot afford or accept going backwards. I go to the jack welch school of slow to hire be quick to fire.

PP has already demonstrated he does not get his players to play up a level. He does the opposite. All the recruiting in the world will not make us great...think ND. It is leadership, execution and a champion's mindset that makes the ultimate difference.

I'd be telling PP you are a very short rope. Performance is unacceptable and unless you show significant improvement, you better get your resume in order...good luck I'm rooting for you to succeed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Again, there was confusion on and off the field. These are just basic signs of core problems in management, discipline and preparation.

That is the PP era to date in 2 sentences.

Reaction Score
Worst possible case scenario (in terms of the length of Pasqualoni's tenure, not necessarily the future of our football program) gives Pasqualoni the remainder of this season and all of next season at a minimum.

If Herbst does bring in a mover and shaker at AD and that AD has the next great coach already in his/her sites (similar to Luck with Holgorsen), that AD won't be in house for a while and will need to allow at least one football season to transpire before making any moves.

Breaking in two new guards (with a career tackle playing right guard, and a career tackle splitting time at left guard) has hurt our lineplay and (from what I understand as something was wrtitten about this earlier in the week) using a new blocking philosophy hasn't helped to date as we obviously are behind on the learning curve.

This is very frustrating as the OLine is a unit that we expected to be a strength without question, especially with the talent we've returned.
Agree - but we still have same O line coach don't we ? - so I think he should be questioned as much as PP

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Coach PP is not lighting them up. Again, there was confusion on and off the field. These are just basic signs of core problems in management, discipline and preparation. The O line should have been dominating but they looked uninspired and dejected. This is a failure of leadership.
This is something that needs to be resolved quickly. PPasq is nowhere near as hands on as his predecessor was (there are advantages and disadvantages to both philosphies). The offense has been completely delegated to Deleone (who is in the booth, which really requires someone, likely Moorehead to be the 1A offensive coordinator) and the defense to Brown. The lines of communication from Deleone to Moorehead to the QB needs to be cleaned up considerably. Both DeLeone and Brown need to simplify things a bit until the players are more experienced within each coach's system. The offense tries to do too much (many things that we are not capable of) and it makes us more inept. The defense tries to show too many looks and when the opponent goes into a no-huddle we cannot matchup quickly enough.

There is quite a bit of tweaking necessary but this all falls in the guy in charge (Pasqualoni).

Reaction Score
This is a stupid discussion. Discuss whether you think the staff is off to a good start -- fine. But this is UConn -- a decent man (which P is) isn't being fired in less than three seasons. So even raising it just hurts with morale and recruiting.

Reaction Score

With 10 years invested, we cannot afford or accept going backwards. I go to the jack welch school of slow to hire be quick to fire.

PP has already demonstrated he does not get his players to play up a level. He does the opposite. All the recruiting in the world will not make us great...think ND. It is leadership, execution and a champion's mindset that makes the ultimate difference.

I'd be telling PP you are a very short rope. Performance is unacceptable and unless you show significant improvement, you better get your resume in order...good luck I'm rooting for you to succeed.
You would be saying the same thing if Nick Saban was our coach. Who ever the coach is needs more than about 8 months and 4 games to make a rational objective view of the teams progress. You need a minimum of 2 full seasons and 3 recuiting classes.

Reaction Score
Concern over miscues and questionable coaching decisions by Coach P 4 games into his tenure is more than fair. Declaring him on the hot seat 4 games into his tenure (and considering these are the previous coach's players) is ludicrous. And this is a guy that just set the record for most coaching wins in Big East history.

Reaction Score
My OPINION:

Paul Pasqualoni is our transition Program HC. He's not going to be here long term (5 year Max) and he is going to set up, on top of Edsall's good foundation, a solid way forward.

DeLeone is what I question today. This offense ... this Position personnel choices are questionable. I'm OK with the 3 headed QB: we had little choice. McCombs ... and not using Shoemate or JJL or Foxx ... is just dumb. And we need to keep Tebucky & Geremy Davis in rotation. We are going to need them to develop. The OLine? They did not go from good to bad. Something is not using them well.

That D? I'm scared of the drop off from Blidi WW to Wilburn. Two solid CBs was great & gave some utility to out pressure. The LBs are gradually getting better week to week. But ... I really don't like some of the movement at the snap. For instance, I thought jesse Joseph, at atimes, had no idea where to position himself.

Buffalo is far better than bottom 15. They had a better QB than us; far better WRs; and a good RB. Their DLine and LBs were good. They are upper level MAC ... and probably 70-80 in rank.

Reaction Score
You people do realize the football program's historical record is below .500, right? 22 games below. It's going to take few or several straight winning seasons to get above .500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom