Pasqualoni & timing are huge factors | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pasqualoni & timing are huge factors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
New plan. Lets change our school colors to red, invite Udel, Uohio, Umass and Unewyork to the AAC and lets announce a gor and stay in it for life. We can play our ship games at a park off the Long Island expressway. Next year we will add a leash to our new cartoon logo and unveil new unis with the leash on them. We can do the same all sports together in front of 50 quiet kids and have joe d do his bad boxing announcer impression. Then, we should outlaw propane grills at the rent and shorten tailgating by another hour. Also you are not allowed to have more than 4 beers per person at the rent. Student will get bussed but be forced to leave early every 3rd quarter because bus drives don't want to sit in end game traffic.

Then instead of investing money elsewhere, we will put even more money into a stupid scoreboard at the rent and poop into the xl. Meanwhile campus which is 5 hours east will still have no activities. This will lead ppl to wonder why donations and our endowment are so low. Then we can have Susan tell reporters she likes lax some more even tho we don't play it and as she faxes another resume to Yale and Cornell, coach p just offered another kid from Alabama who will either go to a sec school or not qualify here acidic ally anyway.

Welcome to uconn, were in Connecticut if you didn't know. Anyway, were trying to be AAU on the weekdays and were mother frucking retreads on the weekends. We win. We win at sports that don't get us into big boy conferences so were monitoring the situation.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
New plan. Lets change our school colors to red, invite Udel, Uohio, Umass and Unewyork to the AAC and lets announce a gor and stay in it for life. We can play our ship games at a park off the Long Island expressway. Next year we will add a leash to our new cartoon logo and unveil new unis with the leash on them. We can do the same all sports together in front of 50 quiet kids and have joe d do his bad boxing announcer impression. Then, we should outlaw propane grills at the rent and shorten tailgating by another hour. Also you are not allowed to have more than 4 beers per person at the rent. Student will get bussed but be forced to leave early every 3rd quarter because bus drives don't want to sit in end game traffic.

Then instead of investing money elsewhere, we will put even more money into a stupid scoreboard at the rent and poop into the xl. Meanwhile campus which is 5 hours east will still have no activities. This will lead ppl to wonder why donations and our endowment are so low. Then we can have Susan tell reporters she likes lax some more even tho we don't play it and as she faxes another resume to Yale and Cornell, coach p just offered another kid from Alabama who will either go to a sec school or not qualify here acidic ally anyway.

Welcome to uconn, were in Connecticut if you didn't know. Anyway, were trying to be AAU on the weekdays and were mother frucking retreads on the weekends. We win. We win at sports that don't get us into big boy conferences so were monitoring the situation.
Thank you for your interest in UConn athletics!

Reaction Score
I don't continue to espouse anything, except if you care enough to bitch about the situation the university is in on this website, you better be contributing $ to the school to do it. Otherwise STFU.

What does that mean? Are you saying that people should continue to spend money ( so far,I am. but it's starting to piss me off.) on a bad, boring product fielded by a boring coach. If that's the case, you're not nearly as intelligent as most of what you write indicates. Are you saying that loyalty should require people to purchase sub-standard services or products or contribute to the "cause" because it's, well, the cause? Look, I love UCONN FB and am willing to support it, financially and otherwise, up to a point. That "point" being when UCONN, by its FB related actions, show that it no longer cares whether I or anyone else supports it or not. Like most, I have a fairly high threshold for this type of thing.

Or, is that a personal insult? If so, thank you for removing the gentlemanly facade. In the future, I will know to reply in kind.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in UConn athletics!

Your welcome. If more ppl gave a dam maybe the team u rooted for wouldn't be in such a shtt spot future wise...

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Dan, repeating the same tired stuff over and over again isn't going to convince anybody who's not already on board with #FireEverybody. The world is not black and white, it's not true that the only two choices for the AD's performance are great and terrible, there's a lot of grey space in between and that's where Warde is.

And if UConn ever gets bronze color helmets, so help me god I will bludgeon Phil Knight with it.
4fbe7411086bd.preview-620.jpg

Their unis are admittedly nice with a tech-y thing (I guarantee half of UConn's fanbase would hate that), Ole Miss's are old-school classic (the other half of UConn's fans would hate that), but neither of those make UConn's look "middle school". They're just different. UNC's unis are horrible. Period. Anybody who likes those unis should be forced to watch Columbia football games for eternity.

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out how playing Iowa or Iowa State or Indiana is better than playing Brigham Young Boise State I think he needs to take a massive bong hit and pass out

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I play real sports. Not trying tO be the best at exercising......

I have still yet to be given a answer on what warde has done. I'll wait. It's been months of ppl here defending him with no substance. Still waiting.....

Tell me he has super secret plans for expansion. Tell me he's doing lax and canning tennis. Tell me he's not seriously impressed with the logo or uniforms. Please do.

Here's a stone cold fact and if u try to twist it your exposed as a warde groupie. Warde has yet to add one, ONE just one BCS team to our football schedules. He has got good non BCS games and 2 fcs games. Not one BCS game. Bite on that. Let it sink in. But hey, we are trying to schedule bc in basketball which goes against every single thing we stand for as a school and state. If he goes thru with that. I will put a price on his head. How's that.

I'll bite, HFD. And just to be clear, I realize you are not going to be impressed with my list. I'm just playing devil's advocate with you (and I realize this is dangerous because I don't want you to label me as an ass-clown UConn fan that knows nothing with how things work). And to be even more clear, alot of these were long overdo because of the complete lack of vision and leadership from our previous nickumpoop AD;

- elevated our academic standings within our athletic programs. I understand that we couldn't go anywhere but up in MBB, but our APR rankings have been nearly perfect in his tenure and that is due to an increased focus on classroom work. If our ultimate goal is B1G affiliation, this is very important since academic reputation is valued as much as athletic accomplishments. I've read you say that you don't care that about academics and only care about wins and losses since that is what sells tickets and makes money. I understand your point and agree with it to some degree. But I disagree that academics are not important, especially given that the B1G is clearly UConn's ultimate goal. EVERYTHING that we have seen UConn do and say has been "research" based and with the AAU in mind. The B1G obviously prioritizes AAU members in conference expansion and our mutual Universitas 21 membership with other B1G schools like tOSU along with focus on academics and should help us gain access to AAU. We will never be invited to a great conference like the B1G with our top selling point point program on academic probation and not meeting APR criteria. Warde has done a great job at making academics a bigger focus and giving our student athletes the tutoring and tools needed to succeed in the classroom as well as the playing field/court.

- scheduled Boise and BYU. I'm pretty sure you stopped reading and immediately began typing a nasty "Boise and BYU are easy scheduling, this is not an accomplishment!" retort, but here is the reality: BYU and Boise are easy but they are also located across the country. Both of these schools either turned down the former Big East or left the former Big East because of their own (justified) concerns about football stability and exposure. By scheduling UConn so quickly after spurning the former Big East, it shows me that both programs see value in UConn football and want to increase their own exposure in the coveted northeast demographic. They could have done that by scheduling a different northeast school or playing one of those neutral site games in NYC or Boston against a "bigger" name program. But they didn't, they chose to schedule a home and home with UConn. UConn can give them northeast exposure and if they can do that for BYU and Boise, it can show that they can also do that for every other B1G schools (some with a good northeast exposure already). Also, Warde could have taken the easy approach of padding UConn's schedule with unranked MAC/C-USA types to boost win totals and perception. He didn't. He knows that playing (and beating) tougher OOC competition is valued higher than padding wins against mediocre teams. BYU, Boise, Tennessee, and Virginia (after 2013's epic schedule) are good starts for a competitive and valued OOC schedule. They should also be enough to excite our fanbase at least once or twice a season while we wait in Tulane/Memphis purgatory.

- basketball scheduling including Florida (for those SEC conspiracy theorists) and a game at Barclay's. I know Brooklyn is not the Garden but it is NYC and a chance for our large NYC fanbase to get to see our school in action after being foolishly left out by Aresco last year. The game against Maryland will serve as another reminder of our NYC presence. I know the Maryland game conflicts with a big football game against Louisville but big-time athletic fanbases step up to the plate when they have scheduling conflicts within their programs. It's time for UConn fans to step up to the plate. Warde is essentially blocking off Friday November 8th as "UConn Night" on ESPN and ESPN2 and this is a wonderful opportunity for our fans in Connecticut and New York to show our dispersed we are in the northeast. If UConn can play to football capacity and have a strong showing at Barclay's, it will show that we are not small-time and can only marginally support one sport at a time.

- signed Ollie to an extension the right way: after he earned it. Just like bullet 2, I'm sure you are already writing a scathing "he took too long" reply. But I'm in the camp of you just don't hand the keys to the Ferrari to a 16 year old kid just because he's your son and your ex-wife kind of forced you to. You wait, make sure that his kids love him, the fans love him, and that he values the same qualities that you do (winning, classroom work, hard work ethic, classy sportsmanship, etc). Once he proved that by mid-season, he got his keys. Ollie didn't seem to mind having to prove himself and why should he? He has had to prove himself every day of his life and through a series of 10 day NBA contracts and that never stopped him from working hard to pursue his dreams. So if he didn't care, why should we as a fanbase? And why should we hold it against Warde because he was trying to protect UConn's prestigious MBB program? We love Ollie and Ollie loves UConn. This was going to work out but Warde had to make sure before completely ruling out other terrific young coaches like Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens. The right move was made when everyone, including Warde, was comfortable making it and after our son (who had no prior head coaching experience) showed he was the right fit for the Ferrari.

- rebranded our logo. I like the rebranding and I like the new uniforms. UConn seems to be embracing its "new money" reputation by challenging the branding and uniforms status quo. I like that. Maryland did that with Under Armour and created enough buzz during AWFUL (worse than UConn football seasons) seasons and drew enough buzz to stay in the CFB conversation and eventual B1G invite. Oregon has gone from above average program to top program in part because of their resistance to the status quo. UConn has ignited a national conversation about their unconventional helmets and a local conversation of choosing to roll with "UConn" over "Connecticut". I like that. The more people are talking about UConn/Connecticut, the better. The day that we do something like a re-branding or drastic uniform alteration and NOBODY taks about UConn is the day that all need to accept our AAC affiliation as a long-term sentence. UConn is young and so is their brand/uniform approach. If successful, it will show older established programs that we are the ultimate growth stock that we claim to be and that we can do it in "new" unconventional ways. We are never going to have the tradition of other "block letter" programs so why pretend to be? Instead, UConn PR can now pump out all sorts of statistics in terms of how much money they've generated in merchandise sales driven by the new logo and uniforms. It's a brilliant move actually. The same reason why professional teams wear alternate jerseys...to sell more stuff. A new brand and new everything guarantees that the diehard UConn fan found here on the BY and everywhere else will flood merchant shelves to buy new UConn stuff. Then, UConn can tell media outlets that they broke all sorts of merchandise sales records despite being the AAC. They can spin it in a "wow, UConn has some serious diehard fans to buy MORE stuff even though they have been passed over so far in CR" way and that gives UConn fans a positive pump (something that is also needed). Perhaps the older programs might even look to us as an example should they ever decide to follow suit and rebrand to something newer!!

- upcoming Rentschler Field and XL Center renovations. President Herbst is a huge catalyst for the $2B bill being signed and delivered but guess who has Herbst's ear regarding the importance of athletics for the future of UConn? By showing commitment to academics (see bullet 1), Herbst has made a commitment to athletics. Now, I don't dispute these venues have needed renovations for quite some time now and these are long overdo. But in a stagnant Connecticut economy (read UConn's research re: Connecticut economy growth), to be able to secure government bond funding to be able to slap some lipstick on our pigs is a good accomplishment. Let's see how the new scoreboard and renovations look and see if it translates into an improved gameday experience for our fans. Let's see how our off-campus stadium can be improved upon and realize that it isn't Warde or Herbst's fault that prior leadership wanted the stadium in East Hartford and not Storrs.

- Michigan is coming to Rentschler Field. They didn't buy out (something they could have done EASILY and probably would have been praised for doing by its fans) after not being able to move the game to MetLife or a larger venue. Why is this important? Michigan understands that UConn's location is where they and the rest of the B1G would ultimately like to gain futher access into. Warde held firm on the game being played at the Rent and successfully sold Brandon on how a game in Connecticut can benefit Michigan. Like I said, Michigan could have bought this game out years ago once it was learned that it wouldn't be moved but didn't. Warde deserves credit for selling our young program and small venue to the most profitable football program in the country. The Fruit, for example, would have absolutely wh0red themselves out for a game at MetLife against Michigan like they did with USC in their feeble and desperate attempt to gain their own access point in NYC as "New York's College Team" (sorry Buffalo!). But a game in East Hartford, CT was sold as the northeast entry point they obviously covet. Now our fans have a premier home game to get fired up over and a reason to buy/renew season tickets after two consecutive 5-7 seasons and no bowl games. I also know that he didn't schedule this series but he was successful in holding onto the series. Reference the Seinfeld episode regarding car reservations: anybody can schedule, schedule schedule. It's the "holding" of the schedules that is equally as important and he held onto Michigan (let's see if he can hold onto Tennesssee).

- networking. This obviously can't be measured because nobody knows just how many friends from the B1G and AAU that Warde has. But the fact is he is a "Michigan man" who got the ball rolling at Buffalo (an AAU school) to improved athletics. He has connections and we would all be foolish not to think that he isn't maintaining these connections in efforts to get UConn to its ultimate goal: the AAU and then the B1G. Some have blasted Warde for staying with the women's team while Jurich was lobbying hard for the ACC and that's somewhat justified. The ACC today is certainly better than the AAC today. But you can't for one second convince me that the AAU/B1G is not UConn's ultimate dream destination, given the recent $2B bill passage, focus on "research" in every single press release or interview given by our leadership, and improvements made to our APR scores. I am not as upset that he didn't lobby hard for the ACC like Jurich did for Louisville. For Louisville, the ACC is their ultimate stomping ground (maybe the Big 12). But they would NEVER be considered for a prestigious conference like the B1G based on their horrendous academic reputation. UConn, on the other hand, is a good marriage of academics and athletics that Louisville isn't. This bullet will better be measured on the day that the CR music stops. If UConn is in the B1G, then having an AD with AAU/B1G ties probably helped. If they aren't, then this bullet is definitely overstated and wrong. Time will tell, but I'm in the camp that believes AAU/B1G ties in our Athletic Director and leadership is important.

In summary, before you write my name in lipstick on your list of UConn fans that you are going to revenge one day, just remember that I am firmly planted on the USS Connecticut and am completely convinced that the B1G and UConn are perfect partners for each other. What Warde is going and has done is consistent with the B1G culture of academics and athletics. In my opinion, it's current academic standing that is the biggest deterrent in UConn's quest for B1G membership . We aren't AAU (yet) and our men's basketball program (our main selling point in CR) was in academic APR hell last season. We need 2013 to re-establish our men's program as a top national power with EXCELLENT APR scores and continue to make progress in getting an AAU invite. The more B1G universities that gain Universitas 21 membership (welcome Ohio State!) should help us network and politick towards AAU.

As for not scheduling BCS teams, think of it this way: if Warde can find the right balance of competitive scheduling (Boise and BYU are definitely good adds to the schedule, no matter if they are "easy" or not), winning (should get more wins against lousy conference competition), and holding onto previously scheduled home and homes with the likes of Michigan (could have bought out), Virginia and Tennessee (might buy out), then I consider it a success. Is that small time? No. UConn needs to win games and get to a bowl game more than anything. I think a football schedule that consists of 2 or so good OOC games (Michigan, Boise, BYU, Tenn, Virginia, etc), 1-2 good conference games (Cincinnati, USF, UCF) and the rest winnable games should translate to a bowl game. Why would Warde load up on tough BCS OOC scheduling when UConn has gone 5-7 in the Big East the last two years? UConn could lose all 5 OOC games and even if they run the conference table, it will still be viewed as bad by national perception. Scheduling respectable programs that we can remain competitive against will boost our value more than loading up on games that we would get crushed in. We are not on that level yet but are building towards it over time.

We all want the same thing: UConn in a better conference. Making all sorts of drastic changes while the music is still going but attempting to slow itself down via ACC GOR rumors, new networks, talk of breaking away from the NCAA, etc would only hurt UConn's chances. UConn needs the following to happen in the next 1-3 years:
- gain acceptance into the AAU;
- men's basketball to get back to NCAA Tourney and re-establish itself as a top 10 national powerhouse;
- women's basketball to continue doing what it does;
- football to get to a bowl game(s), no matter how small;
- new merchandise sales to grow to improve national perception AND compensate for the less money we will receive, compared to our local rivals, by being in the AAC;
- fans continue to support UConn by going to games, buying/donating bowl game tickets, travel to away games, and buying the new stuff;
- "other" Olympic sport to continue on the upward trajectory that they are (soccer, baseball, hockey, etc)

I hope we are still friends after you read this.

Dooley

Reaction Score
So bc won't play us in fball. JC built his legacy on F bc and there high horse. They suck at bball and play in front of empty home crowds. They keep us out of the acc and now u want to give them a bball game so they can sell out there arena and profit off us and play underdog, first one to blink type poop. Gyro you soft piece of.....over my dead body bs gets. Bball game from uconn. Acc invite or stfu. How dare you spit on our own grave. You guys have lost sight of the issue at hand. We're left out and one certain school played a big part in it. Now you guys want to be nice guys and give them bball games

I agree with you here. There is NOTHING to gain by playing them in basketball other than possible ignition of football contract talks. Maybe we have to show them how to forgive and be the bigger person first? But yes, if we are just talking basketball schedule and there is 0% chance of a subsequent football home and home, I agree with you: F BC.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Dooley, agree with everything pretty much (though I skimmed parts) but one point on AAU - we're heading the right way but it will probably take longer than 1-3 years, maybe 10 years which admittedly is a long way off. And even though we're heading in the right direction, hiring faculty, other universities are ramping up research as well so nothing is assured. With the budget sequester in place, there's a lot of uncertainty to try to project out even a couple years. Still we have to try to get that brass ring, both for improving UConn overall and for the chance at a B1G invite down the road, no matter how remote.

pj

Reaction Score
I 100% agree with HfD about BC. If they want to play us in football, fine, let's have at it. If they refuse to play us in football, return the favor and don't play them in basketball. It only elevates them. Let them play games with 1,000 people in the standards and 2,000 watching on TV, if they can get on TV. Why let them have a game with 15,000 in the stands and 200,000 on TV?

If BC could have their way, they'd get UConn a basketball-only invite to the ACC. Giving them us on their bball schedule with no football is giving them a gift. And it devalues the one thing we have to offer big football programs and conferences, a valuable basketball program. You shouldn't give away our basketball games sluttishly.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Dooley, agree with everything pretty much (though I skimmed parts) but one point on AAU - we're heading the right way but it will probably take longer than 1-3 years, maybe 10 years which admittedly is a long way off. And even though we're heading in the right direction, hiring faculty, other universities are ramping up research as well so nothing is assured. With the budget sequester in place, there's a lot of uncertainty to try to project out even a couple years. Still we have to try to get that brass ring, both for improving UConn overall and for the chance at a B1G invite down the road, no matter how remote.

I would skim parts too! I wrote a novel!

Agreed with what you said about AAU. I guess I meant more along the lines of networking our way closer to AAU through Universistas 21 and other channels. And I used 1-3 timeline since I think that's how long the UConn fanbase can realistically endure an AAC sentence before dropping out. I'll replace that bullet with "getting other B1G schools to see UConn's chances of an AAU invite as highly likely".

Reaction Score
I 100% agree with HfD about BC. If they want to play us in football, fine, let's have at it. If they refuse to play us in football, return the favor and don't play them in basketball. It only elevates them. Let them play games with 1,000 people in the standards and 2,000 watching on TV, if they can get on TV. Why let them have a game with 15,000 in the stands and 200,000 on TV?

If BC could have their way, they'd get UConn a basketball-only invite to the ACC. Giving them us on their bball schedule with no football is giving them a gift. And it devalues the one thing we have to offer big football programs and conferences, a valuable basketball program. You shouldn't give away our basketball games sluttishly.
I agree too that it would be foolish to giv basketball Ames without football in return. HFD wants no part of bc at all and that's not good for uconn. I also would like him to post his literature where it says we are looki g to play hoops with bc and not get any football games

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Maybe he's thinking of the 2k classic? There have definitely been rumors on UConn's end that we would like to schedule them in football after Calhoun, Hathaway and DeFillipo all retired or were shown the door, of course BC is still scared to schedule us. If there are rumors about basketball I haven't seen them but then again I don't follow any of the WV tweeps.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'll bite, HFD.

Good read, here are my comments.
- the apr thing is a joke. We all know the measure is a joke. What's worse is we know most schools lie and make up numbers and we didn't have the balls to do the same. I get it. It's on the old administration. Since warde has been here we have not had a problem. True. But as part of getting off probation we had to have good numbers. So no matter who was in charge we were going to get good scores and report good scores. Bottom line. The so many tutors stuff is all bs. It really was. People who believe that kind of more advisors stuff are the gullible fans. The issue was kids left without finishing class. No matter how many advisors you have the kids left. What truly hurt us was perception due to apr. since warde has come here I have still yet to see us handle the situation. We actually to this day have coaches recruiting vs us saying we're still on probation. Here's a example. And sorry if this goes off a bit left but follow please. Last week while its not public until I type this, KO worked for 2 hours on Thursday in a lock gym with paschal a local recruit. Part of that was a big talk with some immediate people around his life. Another coach who I will not name has been pitching to paschal a camp that uconn was in trouble, probation and couldn't play in the ncaas. We all know here that isn't true. Because we're fans. But the public perception has never been handled so there are literally ppl that to this day do not know or understand what happened. We have dropped the ball. We have still yet to fix it. Within the past couple years PSU and tosu have both been in deep poop for different things. The apr issue was a side show issue and not a big deal. If the apr issue was at Rutgers they still would have got a b10 invite. It's a small issue but perception in college sports is what matters 2nd to only money. We fail that measure over and over. Warde as ad, has done nothing to fix that perception. No matter who was ad, we were going to fix the numbers so we could get back to the ncaas. Anyone that tells you warde brought us back from the apr depths is lying to you about what is actually involved with it. It's a joke.

-I am a fan of uconn sports. I did not go to uconn. I have more than a handful of family members who have uconn degrees or who are there now. I am family wise invested into uconn. But my 2 degrees personally are not. So I don't root for better English teachers. I get the whole AAU thing and I think it's important. I get it. AAU, research, funding and local jobs etc. go for it..go big or go home. If you want to tell me uconn has 10 dollars to spend and we can either spend 5 on the AAU, 3 on a stadium expansion and 2 on bball I would say spend all 10 on AAU for ASAP invites opportunities. But I don't hear that. So I am skeptical. I see that we're pushing for it. Good. But I can't sit here and root for that and buy tickets to that. So you have to feed fans like me elsewhere.

- they are easy yup. The recruiting grounds are just as important as Jamaica is for us football wise. The return dates are bad. They are however good brand names and TV games. I am fine playing them. My beef is that's the best warde has done. The reason they see value in uconn is because the same thing we see which is schools desperate to find TV games that can help there own resumes. That's simple. Playing San Jose st isn't going to help Boise opposed to uconn tv wise. End of story. The tenn and UVA series were already in play per warde. I already listed in this tread why Michigan did not buy out the game. It wasn't charm on a phone call from warde. Get real. Other AAC teams have scheduled BCS games. We have not under warde. He has however put Villanova and stony brook on the schedules. Impressed now? The b10 announced no more fcs programs. If there was ever a tell about where were heading, this sucks huh?

- the Florida series is a good one. It's stuff like that I have been begging for. I gave warde his due in the fl thread on the bball board for it. But we're uconn. Bball wise we should easily be able to be those games. I'm happy, but I don't see it as a major accomplishment and I think anyone who does has extremely low expectations. Get Florida for football and then we will talk...

- no one is going to travel to Barclays. Not to mention the fball game on the same night. We all know the story....I'm happy were going to be on tv yes, but there are way better times to play a bball game vs md and those would make tv also. It's a good brand matchup. No matter what happens, the nit wil not go well because fans will not be packing 1 event and be a bit split. Either the rent will look empty or the Barclays will be all red. Not to mention our on field issues fball wise....

-most ppl here got there first tastes of KO when he was named coach. A select few here have been in his camp for years. I am one of those guys. The family of players are in this camp also. Locals in the gyms(important ones) are in this camp. If you look back in threads a couple years ago you would read me sticking my chin out and KO and kh and how bright the future is. I have seen him many times in person on the trail. The past 3 classes have all been KO. JC took these guys around and made lasting connections and then gave him the keys years ago. It started with Daniels and boatshow. KO got Daniels in a 2 hr workout down in fl. It's been on ever since. Warde dragged out something that did not need to happen. I realize some here take the other side like u. To the ppl like me who saw what was going to be life under KO, we were all deeply insulted by warde. That's that. He will never be forgiven or trusted. And if u think this is silly so be it, but there is a not small group of people who put on a nice face and smile but truly would rather but a laser beam between his eyes for payback. Welcome to the woods warde. We don't play games when it comes to our special bball program up here. That's the motto down here.

- you know where I stand uconn bc ct and the dog etc. I think it's all a new fresh ploy for sales and I think it's rubbing a lot of ppl the wrong way. I also believe the state doesn't deserve to be outed name wise yet invest so much into the school. Uconn used to be a nickname and a cheer that mattered term wise. Now it's a muddy name that sounds like a mix of a community college and a commuter school. Every other school name that starts with a state laughs at us for this. The red vs blue and so on. Its all wrong. I really hope I can get a artist to get out my ideas for free and we can do some type of write up about it to show u guys what I was talking about. I think it would open eyes. I want new unis and all the cool stuff don't get me wrong. I just feel we went down the wrong path. I will leave it at that.

-the xl should not get a penny or any uconn games. That is a mistake to reap that contract. The rent I argue could either be left to die or expand it. Fixing the scoreboard is neither. Either u use it until 2025 and then knock it down for on campus or u expand it and its our home for 50 years. Dumping money into it but not expanding is the worst decision yet. That's another decision made by the crew that will bite years from now. Take that money and keep it n pocket or something. I get that the holding company wants to spend money. Pave the lots or something. Chests Christ. Put more blue chairs in instead of bleachers. Casual fans want ease and comfort. Chairs fit that. Wives don't like walking thru mud parking lots. Pave them. Then they go home and don't have to wash there sneakers. Aka they come back with husbands again. This stuff is not rocket science. But again and again we fail at it. c k the scoreboard. Knock it down and put more bleachers temp ones for all I give a dam. Who here needs to see a score anyway? We know how ugly its going to be with P.

-I already explained why Michigan held its commitment. That's the god truth. They explorer buying it out and getting another home game. All they could get was non BCS teams which would have hurt there SOS and TV stuff. So instead they lobbied for NYC but had no power to do so. It was just a pr campaign by them to save face. Remember that whole perception thing we don't get? They get it. The old ad did this deal and they now to save face made it seem like we're the bad guy. Perception is everything. They get it. We don't. Syracuse is on a much different mission then what this board thinks NYC wise. It's protecting themselves from the Sunys first off. Once they decided private vs SUNY flagship they knew the acc was there end goal and not the b10. The other thing is ny state has been pumping buffalo as a city meanwhile Cuse is trying to rebuild its city. Is a private vs public war going on quietly. Cuse has brand athletics, so they are trying to use those to gains attention in NYC which in turn will turn attention to the city of Cuse. It's a long road bc thing going on. Let them play there games. Ignore them. It does not affect us.

- warde hung out with wake Forrest. As soon as he left buffalo they decided to do the whole ny state thing. He's not the "rockstar" ppl think he's is. Many in the business think he's a phony who plays big man but has no substance to back it up. Before anyone tries to say this I will, we have a major connection as MSU in the b10. That connect is thru JC and JC made sure it stays a live even when he's not here. It has nothing to do with warde.

-U21 is very interesting what recently happened. UVA and uconn were joined by 2 b10 schools. Can con kity give us a theory? Lol

In summary, we all want uconn to be the best and play with the best and make money etc. I agree with a lot of what you say. BUT please read this and understand what I am asking. Not one person here has been able to honestly answer it yet:

What has warde done or what decision has he made that has been a good one?

If your answer is getting the 2nd best hockey coach or a fl bball series or a scoreboard at the rent or a game vs BYU then your expectations on what a uconn ad should be doing are sacre heart low. He'll the horrible JH got Michigan and Tennessee football games for Christ sake. See what I'm saying? The guy has yet to do something.

I wonder, would people here actually read a report if I wrote it up on what needs to go on? I think most here would laugh and not read it. I could take this ad and the decisions to pieces. If I had actual numbers money wise I would make this place eat crow for years. What's going on right now by warde is a fraud. Plain and simple. Susan is not good athletics wise and she bought a slick talking guys words. That is the issue. The sooner ppl get this the better.

What you wrote was a good read. I respect your input. But to be very honest you did not give me one thing warde has done that should make you, me or anyone say wow he's a good ad. That's what I'm getting at. But 99% of this board avoids answering the actual question with substance because they can't find it which is my point.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I agree too that it would be foolish to giv basketball Ames without football in return. HFD wants no part of bc at all and that's not good for uconn. I also would like him to post his literature where it says we are looki g to play hoops with bc and not get any football games

It was in a recent beat reporters article. I forget which but warde clearly states he's working on a bc bball series. I did not make this up.

The 2k classic is a separate issue which I am also mad about for the same reason. On top of that these ore season they'd are all about going away. We should have a 5 yr rotation. Maui is clearly 1. Then work 4 more in. Atlantis, Disney are 2 easy ones then work 2 more in. We can play in MSG any time. Call up Sju, they would love a series. He'll Cuse already did that. Making MSG uconn fm as early season trial tney is a slap to our die yards that travel. They want to go away to places. That's part of the whole stick. The bc part is just absurd which we all know my position on bc. I think they are extremely lucky that we play them in baseball and softball let alone a bball game. Warde has never felt the bc hate we have. Hs not a uconn guy but he's also not trying to understand this fan bases pain. We know this because of the way he handles himself media wise. They better pick out a box to put him in as far as I'm concerned if a acc invite is not on its way as well. U all may read that and think its horrible. It is. That's how dam serious I am about it. That coward asz mother trucker is ruining our school at a time when we most need to shine. Get it thru your thick skulls.

I do not blame warde for the past.
I look to the present and future.
I ask, since warde has been here how has he helped uconn get to the next level?

The reason no one can honestly answer that without lines of bs about other things is because he has not done anything past normal.

At this current time, we need a aggressive guy who is a rockstar. Who is a go better. Warde is not the guy.

The wvu and Lville ads got a community college a a legit born and bread dumb school both invites. The right leader can make things happen. Warde is not that guy.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I do not blame warde for the past.
I look to the present and future.
I ask, since warde has been here how has he helped uconn get to the next level?

The reason no one can honestly answer that without lines of bs about other things is because he has not done anything past normal.

At this current time, we need a aggressive guy who is a rockstar. Who is a go better. Warde is not the guy.

The wvu and Lville ads got a community college a a legit born and bread dumb school both invites. The right leader can make things happen. Warde is not that guy.
OK. Now we're getting somewhere. He's somewhere near average. I think my expectation is to have an AD who is competent, get things moving upwards, and your expectation is to somehow miraculously get UConn perceived as bigtime and in a major conference, yesterday, and anything less than that is catastrophic failure. (I can understand that, though again... grey areas). I think depsite the media narrative that UConn was next in line for the ACC, FSU was always going to be against us (BCU still was anti-UConn but nobody cares about what they say). And FSU has actual political power in the ACC, as long as they stay there.

Here's a hypothetical - imagine we miraculously got Tom Jurich to replace Hathaway in 2012. This was less than a year before the ACC needed to replace Maryland. Also imagine Louisville hired Warde Manuel. Would Jurich still have won, this time with the other team with only a short time to get things in position? Maybe he would have... but Louisville still had geography and perception (much longer history in I-A football) on its side. I'm not 100% sure that Jurich would have been able to get UConn in the ACC. Maybe he would have done a better job on the phones, but we don't even know who Warde and Susan called (other than trying to call Shalalalala at Miami and not getting the call returned). I'm sure that you're sure Mr. Actual Rockstar would have been able to pull it off, but I really have my doubts.

Dooley

Reaction Score

I completely understand and respect your opinion, HFD. I was playing devil's advocate because you asked us to. I gave you glass-half-full reasons that I find okay with him and the job that he has done. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that your line-in-the-sand moment with Warde came over the Kevin Ollie extension delay. I absolutely get that. I'm not as big of a basketball fan as I am football fan but I do get to about 3-5 games a year and watch most games on TV. I certainly was not heavily invested in KO as you and some others before his hiring. I took a different approach: protect the basketball program and don't be forced into making a hire until you are sure. It became pretty obvious pretty fast that Ollie was absolutely, positively the right hire so the wait was probably harder for you and others. I was okay with the trial/interim tag on Ollie just to see if he was better than Smart or Stevens. He was/is and the right hire was made. I don't find Warde to blame for this but understand those who dislike the way Ollie was treated. My point is that if Ollie didn't mind (I'd think he would not have taken the job if he did) or, at least, didn't mind having to prove himself, then perhaps we should not either. Of course, I would completely change my tune if this caused some sort of damage in future KO contract negotiations. I guess we won't know that for another 4-5 years.

I will respectively choose to remain in the glass-half-full camp here. I think UConn is positioning themselves properly for the B1G. It's just going to take time, perhaps a little longer than we all thought/hoped. I know academics aren't as exciting as wins and losses, quality schedules or coaching hires, but, I think, they are every bit as important in our quest for B1G acceptance.

Here are some things off the top of my head that would cause me to look at Warde more venomously:
1. scheduling BC for a basketball series without any talk of a football series. They want/need us for basketball and we want/need them for football. Seems like a good compromise. Even if the football game was played at Gilette, I don't care. Split the gate 50/50 and let's roll for New England turf;
2. UConn football misses a bowl again in 2013 and Warde does not make a coaching change. Heck, if UConn starts the season 1-4/1-5 and hopelessly floundering come AAC games then I'd want a coaching change;
3. any team goes on some sort of academic/APR probation period;
4. BC/Cuse/Pitt are accepted into the B1G and we are not.

Let's hope none of these happen and UConn continues to position as the premier northeast public that the B1G covets.

Dooley

Reaction Score
OK. Now we're getting somewhere. He's somewhere near average. I think my expectation is to have an AD who is competent, get things moving upwards, and your expectation is to somehow miraculously get UConn perceived as bigtime and in a major conference, yesterday, and anything less than that is catastrophic failure. (I can understand that, though again... grey areas). I think depsite the media narrative that UConn was next in line for the ACC, FSU was always going to be against us (BCU still was anti-UConn but nobody cares about what they say). And FSU has actual political power in the ACC, as long as they stay there.

Here's a hypothetical - imagine we miraculously got Tom Jurich to replace Hathaway in 2012. This was less than a year before the ACC needed to replace Maryland. Also imagine Louisville hired Warde Manuel. Would Jurich still have won, this time with the other team with only a short time to get things in position? Maybe he would have... but Louisville still had geography and perception (much longer history in I-A football) on its side. I'm not 100% sure that Jurich would have been able to get UConn in the ACC. Maybe he would have done a better job on the phones, but we don't even know who Warde and Susan called (other than trying to call Shalalalala at Miami and not getting the call returned). I'm sure that you're sure Mr. Actual Rockstar would have been able to pull it off, but I really have my doubts.

Agreed. I really don't think UConn and the ACC are a good fit. As long as BCU is in that conference they will 1) always politick against us because they are scared and 2) always remind southern football schools how much they dislike northeast football. I honestly don't think there is an AD in the country that could have gotten UConn into the ACC but the question really should be: why would we want to go to the ACC? Is the ACC the best UConn can do? The ACC has clearly demonstrated that it puts little value in top academics (Louisville, FSU, NC State) or recent athletic achievement (Pitt, BCU). It is a conference full of easily manipulated and weak Presidents who may or may not have a GOR in place, may or may not have a TV Network launch, and who are constantly fearful that they are third fiddle to the SEC and B1G. It's essentially the Big East, cirqa 2002. The absolute ceiling for such a p1ss poor academic reputation school such as Louisville is the ACC. I think UConn can do better, even if it means serving a few years in the AAC. Maybe I overvalue UConn through Husky blue tinted glasses, but I think UConn can and will go B1G. If it's 2016 and we aren't any closer to the B1G than we are today, then F Warde. But we're on the right track...it's just going to take some time and patience on our part (and a helluva lot support).

Reaction Score
HFD, you keep saying nobody can answer your Warde Manuel questions. Well I got news for you. Your questions HAVE been answered and you have been getting destroyed in this debate by the posters who have taken the time to provide you with answers. You clearly have made up your mind about Manuel and believe he is an imbecile. Most disagree and believe the truth about Warde at this point is somewhere in between imbecile and rockstar.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
HFD, you keep saying nobody can answer your Warde Manuel questions. Well I got news for you. Your questions HAVE been answered and you have been getting destroyed in this debate by the posters who have taken the time to provide you with answers. You clearly have made up your mind about Manuel and believe he is an imbecile. Most disagree and believe the truth about Warde at this point is somewhere in between imbecile and rockstar.

How many BCS teams has he added to the fball schedule?

True or false- did the Cincy ad announce stadium expansion and throw out a couple drawings for giggles.

Has warde done the above?

Did uconn win the bid to control the rent and the xl? Why not?

How will the above question effect our future game atmosphere?

When will the marketing department put out a commercial?

How come we don't add temp seats for the md game also?

Why can't we have a team entrance with 3 dogs bustin asz out to the 50 followed by our players? Ala FSU horse or Colorado buffalo.

What makes uconn capable of taking a commit from lemelle academically but not the tight end from Cali from juco?

Why did we brag that our logo was free from Nike? What makes that worth a chest pump? Doesn't it sound cheap when you then present a helmet with middle school art on it?

What is perception? How does this play a role in college sports?

Why did we even pick up the phone when bc called for a bball game?

I'll wait then give you another round of questions.

Reaction Score
What makes uconn capable of taking a commit from lemelle academically but not the tight end from Cali from juco?.

Just like Milone - you are wrong again. Lemelle is an recognized honors student @ BMcD (and had offers from PSU and UVA) and did what he had to do to qualify and the TE didn't take care of business and do what he had to do to qualify academically after committing (he knew what the bar was and didn't reach it).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Just like Milone - you are wrong again. Lemelle is an recognized honors student @ BMcD (and had offers from PSU and UVA) and did what he had to do to qualify and the TE didn't take care of business and do what he had to do to qualify academically after committing (he knew what the bar was and didn't reach it).

I wrote in the milone thread after I was originally challenged that I may have mixed him and the ameer kid up as to which had academic issues. I stand by my info. The news paper article says he was a honors student so then I must have had the 2 backwards and ameer was he one with bad grades. I confused names but my info was on point. I talked about oth in that post so it wasn't like I was off on mars somewhere.

It was known before lemelle committed that he was down to temple and uconn after he went to Iowa and they couldn't get him in. Temple was taking partials and there class was already big. It was obvious we were going out on a limb.

Prospects can have tons of offers but that doesn't mean they can go to that school until they are approved grades wise. Do schools like Vandy only offer good grades kids. Sure. Most big publics however offer away and then if thy ind out u have grade issue well on to the next one. They don't screen grades before hand. The reason is they can screen later so why turn kids off early when they can save face and I it later.

Reaction Score

They realized it was not as easy as you make everything out to be?

I also believe that managing the XL was never in question - it was only the Rent and last I read, discussions were on-going as allowed per the lease agreement (albeit unlikely now that Global Spectrums has been selected - although the contract doesn't go into effect till end of August?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom