Pasqualoni & timing are huge factors | The Boneyard

Pasqualoni & timing are huge factors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the 100 moves (maybe less) of Universities upgrading or moving laterally, the INSTANT look at their Bell Cow football or men's basketball team has played a part.

Maybe a 9-3 for both of the last two years would have made a difference.

That's why Jeff Hathaway selecting Pasqualoni in January of 2011 was impactful. I think this was an issue. But, in looking at the ACC or the B1G, we simply weren't pencil'd in using either conferences criteria. A Boise type presence the last two years would have pushed us forward. But ... more telling was the full Tom Jurich rebound from the Kragthorpe years. In my view of the world, there is NO reason (if you look at this like a Stock Arbitrage player) you would take a Syracuse or a Pitt given long term viabilities of our respective markets. If UConn showed (over the last 6 years) the ability to fill Rentschler and reach beyond our core START-UP fanbase, I think we have a clear comparative advantage to those Old-School traditional programs. If the ACC knew Central NY like I know Central NY, you would not bet EVER on going Cuse versus UConn. We are, however, a constant threat to BC.

For all the bitching about Warde Manual, we best hope that the man can use the full toolbox in raising this Athletic Program. My dream is a UConn Football program that we do grow and capture Fairfield County and the greater New England population that is far beyond the reach of the Catholic backstabbers. That ... our Kevin Ollie first year love affair blossoms into the greatest few years of Recruits and then the NCAA March success continues. I believe much of the College world thought we were dying when they saw Calhoun's end approaching. All the good Olympic sports news shows that we are a full Athletic Department. All the Herbst advances (and the parallel legislature support (which you absolutely do not see in NYS or the rest of NE) provides hope that we are on a track for the B1G. But Pasqualoni?

I want this Connecticut guy to succeed. I actually want him to groom a Joe Philbin or Chip Kelly. Open minded 40 year old with a flair for offense. Pasqualoni, I believe, has a better handle on how to recruit and bring higher level kids than Edsall. (Edsall has, in retrospect, a brilliant view on how to develop really raw unseen guys - Beatty, Blidi, Sio, Don Brown) There are many stories in the Conference Realignment world about schools with great potential that won't chin themselves to the next level because of short term poor coaching stints. I think Siena (here in Albany) could easily be Atlantic 10 or much higher (Big East Catholic) if they could sustain a McCaffery for more than 4 years ... there Fanbase could be a Creighton/Xavier. But ... you need a sustained effort WITH a Plan. I'm hoping Warde is the guy rather than dismissing him because of some statement he makes supporting OUR conference or other. We have to believe that we have the assets to rise to be among the top 70 (+/-) College Programs that will be in this elevated world. I don't think the musical chairs game is over.

Reaction Score
The football culture exists in CT, Pudge. It always has, since college football was invented. It's a sleeping giant waiting to be awakened.

What it's going to take, is scheduling, and winning. UCONN isn't going to be perceived by the football culture as trully big time, until we can start playing the schedules like we've got coming up (Michigan, BYU, Tennessee, etc.) at home - and - winning.

There are only 12 games a year, and at very, very most 8 home games - a year. Growth in football, is slow, steady wins the race. But you ahve to schedule the opponents that matter, and get them to your home, and then you have to win.

There are way too many people, basketball culture, that think that football can follow the same track to popularity and success that basketball did.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-warde kept P for year 3 when it was a dier situation both conference and perception wise. we could have cleaned house on dec1st and got the dazzler and mabe kept brown. brown lft for the same job and check to go to bc. bite on that.
-wade moved gdl to the worst position on the field for us vs firing him full knowing cuse 04 situation
-he let this new brand and logo happen
-he has yet to show any markting past he old group
-we lost management to a outside company for the xl and rent. with our relaionships this should not happen.
-he dragged ko thru the mud, then geno
-he supports the aac whil others lke cincy speak out
-his 2 most famous things are a stupid dance in NO and having drinks with Wake on a island
-the lville ad after running over us made a comment to furtheer shoot us saying w were penned in. trash talk, we just sat here.
-instaled a multiused #bleedblue tag, then puts red in our brand/logo. umass, bc, cuse, ruty and temple laugh.
-he was known for good womens club stuff at buffalo, glad that is going well....
-within a year of him leaving buffalo, they become the flaship and look to rename to the state name and go that route. meanwhile we are the state name and we just killed it for a beat up nick name that has been ruined by cheerleaders the past 7 years.
-we have triedto do youtube vids all have been underwheling. our harlem shake miht have been the worst of about 100k made. we acually swung and missed on the whole point of it. you cant make that up....
-we showed new jersey that are new(so they are cool to kids) but overall a huge fail. w showed them with the swim te and so on. ole miss, unc, indy and everyone else did the football team seperate and made cool videos for them.
-the summer get together in hartford has been so bad the last couple years that ballpark franks have finally been realized as not the right dish to serve lol. so we spice the night up with lockerrom tours. then we announce they wil be under construction this summer. were they that bad? oly 10 yearsold right? that money can't be spent on better things?

ill stop for now. warde sure seems likea rockstar. what woud the wvu or lville ads be then? megasuperduperalackafragsuper ad's???????

Reaction Score
I worked with a guy many years ago that played D1 ball, and had a very short stint with the Giants.
At the time, I think it was Albany that was moving their football program to D1-AA.
In any case, I believe this individual knew what they were talking about when they said that a bump up would take about 10 years. Between getting the program foundation built with coaching, facilities, and everything else you need in addition to getting the players he was saying 10 years to be competitive.

Given what Uconn has done in 9-10 years is still amazing. Unfortunately, tradition is a very large piece of football's pecking order, and we are viewed as newbie's. Even in BB where Uconn has been a power for almost 30 year's, won 3 NC's, and numerous NBA players we are not considered blue-bloods by most (wrong in my opinion).

I know people would like to see PP fail so we can get a new coach, but I am hoping we can get 9 wins this season. That would mean we have three wins against Cincy, UofL, Rutgers, Michigan, UCF and MD along with beating the rest of the schedule.

That would be a successful season....

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we play 6 schools who should not be bcs this fall(smu, mem, tem, town, ucf and ny). if we cant win 9 games(3 of cincy, usf, ruty lville, md, mich) this year then shut the progam down and create a league with wsu and vcu.

Reaction Score
-warde kept P for year 3 when it was a dier situation both conference and perception wise. we could have cleaned house on dec1st and got the dazzler and mabe kept brown. brown lft for the same job and check to go to bc. bite on that.
-wade moved gdl to the worst position on the field for us vs firing him full knowing cuse 04 situation
-he let this new brand and logo happen
-he has yet to show any markting past he old group
-we lost management to a outside company for the xl and rent. with our relaionships this should not happen.
-he dragged ko thru the mud, then geno
-he supports the aac whil others lke cincy speak out
-his 2 most famous things are a stupid dance in NO and having drinks with Wake on a island
-the lville ad after running over us made a comment to furtheer shoot us saying w were penned in. trash talk, we just sat here.
-instaled a multiused #bleedblue tag, then puts red in our brand/logo. umass, bc, cuse, ruty and temple laugh.
-he was known for good womens club stuff at buffalo, glad that is going well....
-within a year of him leaving buffalo, they become the flaship and look to rename to the state name and go that route. meanwhile we are the state name and we just killed it for a beat up nick name that has been ruined by cheerleaders the past 7 years.
-we have triedto do youtube vids all have been underwheling. our harlem shake miht have been the worst of about 100k made. we acually swung and missed on the whole point of it. you cant make that up....
-we showed new jersey that are new(so they are cool to kids) but overall a huge fail. w showed them with the swim te and so on. ole miss, unc, indy and everyone else did the football team seperate and made cool videos for them.
-the summer get together in hartford has been so bad the last couple years that ballpark franks have finally been realized as not the right dish to serve lol. so we spice the night up with lockerrom tours. then we announce they wil be under construction this summer. were they that bad? oly 10 yearsold right? that money can't be spent on better things?

ill stop for now. warde sure seems likea rockstar. what woud the wvu or lville ads be then? megasuperduperalackafragsuper ad's???????
Well Dan, nice to see you're back to full force. But I can't disagree with much of what you say here. Guy is a disaster for almost everything not involving ice hockey, and I have a gut feeling he screwed that up, too. had a 2-time national champ coach with instant credibility who wanted the job, and he hired a 20 year assistant coach who had been turned down for jobs nobody would take. If he stays too much longer, we can look forward to a long term run as a mid-major. It could happen anyway, even if we brought in Jurich, but if Manuel stays it is almost guaranteed.

Reaction Score
Does anyone here have a breakdown of what went into the $1.5B package from the state legislators for UConn?

There has been remarkably little in terms of detail. NYS passed a bill last year that may be similar--or it may not.

I think the world is going this way. Lots of headlines, little of substance. Listening to NPR this morning after dropping off kids at school, I heard the reporter say that for most Americans with student loans, the rate is scheduled to double. This is just horribly bad reporting. Gov't loan rates are fixed at origination. They never change. Mine have been at 6.5% from the beginning. Others have them at 8.5%. Only new loans are scheduled to jump from 3.5% to 6.8%.

I then look out the window and see an ad for a weekend in Toronto. It says, leave your zoo behind (picture of a sad looking zoo) and come to our great zoo (picture of a happy panda). Yes, we know Toronto blows away Buffalo, but did the ad people need to rub it in our face?

Further down the road, a guy on NPR states that American household wealth is now at its highest level since the late 1940s, $3 trillion, but that's not taking inflation into account. WTH???? Say what?

Almost nobody cares about the details when they do their job any more. Sloppy and shoddy. RANT OFF

Reaction Score
The football culture exists in CT, Pudge. It always has, since college football was invented. It's a sleeping giant waiting to be awakened.
I have to ask, are you related to Rutgersal? One of his favorite phrases is sleeping giant waiting to be awakened.

For HFD, Brown picked up a decent raise from BC in the form of a subsidized housing allowance as well as about a 15% increase in base salary. Maybe he was a bit tired of having to try and make up for PP's offensive mindset deficiencies.

For Pudge - There is no explanation for RU to the B1G other than the economics of eyeballs. I don't care if they are AAU or not, they bring nothing good in terms of product. MD, they bring eyes and have at least won some championships in the ACC. Pitt and Cuse bring balance to the ACC for BB more than anything and Lville keeps both FB and BB happy. ACC old boys were not happy being the number 2/3 BB conference. Now they get what they want while the FB side that drives the revenue increases too.

We can go on ad nauseum about why Uconn should have/would have been a better pick for any conference. This game of CR has always been 100% economics. I find it silly to think that anything other than economics played a factor. Unfortunately, the deciders said no. There had to be no significant increase in revenues between Uconn and Lville/RTU/Cuse/Pitt. The analysis of all candidates must not have shown what you believe is the huge upside of a start up. They have all of the TV ratings data. They know who is watching what and where. For all of the bloviating on this board (myself included), no one has ever shown/posted the ratings comparison between the various candidate schools in the important markets for the ACC and B1G. And I doubt anyone ever will, but I will bet $1 that it did not show Uconn as the runaway choice.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
For HFD, Brown picked up a decent raise from BC in the form of a subsidized housing allowance as well as about a 15% increase in base salary. Maybe he was a bit tired of having to try and make up for PP's offensive mindset deficiencies.

so we wern't wiling to match? we are that bad financially? were so bad hat we cound't pay don brown a bit more and the only logo we coud get was a free one from nike? i that what your telling me? were broke?

BULFINGSPIT

were shelling out for puck, we have money. we brouht in TJW and are still payng GDL.

ITS BAD DECISION AFTER BAD DECISION

i have yet to hear 1 buffalo fan say we lost a good one. were talking buffalo. where a team all with the same socks is passable in the mac. this state is screwed athletics wise the wa we are going.

all these bad decisions are eating away at me. you can find me at the bottom of a tall cold drink.

Reaction Score
They have all of the TV ratings data. They know who is watching what and where. For all of the bloviating on this board (myself included), no one has ever shown/posted the ratings comparison between the various candidate schools in the important markets for the ACC and B1G. And I doubt anyone ever will, but I will bet $1 that it did not show Uconn as the runaway choice.

How do you explain BC?

Reaction Score
so we wern't wiling to match? we are that bad financially? were so bad hat we cound't pay don brown a bit more and the only logo we coud get was a free one from nike? i that what your telling me? were broke?

BULFINGSPIT

were shelling out for puck, we have money. we brouht in TJW and are still payng GDL.

ITS BAD DECISION AFTER BAD DECISION

i have yet to hear 1 buffalo fan say we lost a good one. were talking buffalo. where a team all with the same socks is passable in the mac. this state is screwed athletics wise the wa we are going.

all these bad decisions are eating away at me. you can find me at the bottom of a tall cold drink.
However. Brown has a history of jumping around and he is a mass guy so the move makes sense.

Also if we got addazio instead who I grew is a good coach how do we not know he wouldn't jump ship for bc. I believe if an acc job showed up he would

We have a coach that wants to build up ct football. He is a Connecticut guy and we are implementing a new system. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. Have patience

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
However. Brown has a history of jumping around and he is a mass guy so the move makes sense.

Also if we got addazio instead who I grew is a good coach how do we not know he wouldn't jump ship for bc. I believe if an acc job showed up he would

We have a coach that wants to build up ct football. He is a Connecticut guy and we are implementing a new system. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. Have patience

let me know when he learns how to knee a ball, why his long tim buddy at OC runs te ball up the middle evry play and how long a play clock runs for.

p and gdl are nice guys. good football minds and highly respcted. they have connections and are good teachers. college football in the last 10 years has changed while they were in the nfl. its that simple but the most important person to know that(warde), does not.....

Reaction Score
let me know when he learns how to knee a ball, why his long tim buddy at OC runs te ball up the middle evry play and how long a play clock runs for.

p and gdl are nice guys. good football minds and highly respcted. they have connections and are good teachers. college football in the last 10 years has changed while they were in the nfl. its that simple but the most important person to know that(warde), does not.....
U haven't addressed where we would be If we got addazio two years ago an he splits. We would be Ina worse situation or no

Reaction Score

I don't get the infatuation with Don Brown. At best, the guy has a few years of coaching left in him and he probably would have been pushed out at the end of this year if PP is fired, so he took the job security at BC.

Also, his defenses are somewhat reckless, and last year the defense was TERRIBLE at turnovers and red zone defense. And, the issue was not that the defense was on the field too much as UConn's offensive time of possession was about #39 in the country last year. Explain to me how with 2 senior cornerbacks drafted by the NFL that UConn had only 6 interceptions last year? Or how with 4 NFL draft picks on defense, UConn was ranked #109 in the country in Red Zone defense? Or how total turnovers gained by the defense ranked #113 in the country last year? If UConn had been average on defense of gaining turnovers, UConn would have had a winning record and would have bowled.

Look, PP has this year to prove it or, I am confident, he will be gone.

As for Addazio, what has he proven anywhere that says he is an outstanding head football coach? He was 13-11 at Temple with Al Golden's recruits and last year was 4-7 with an outstanding rb transfer in Montel Harris from BC. Look at his offensive stats an Offensive Coordinator and head coach.

Total Offense Rank:

At Indiana (Addazio was OC in 2004):

2004: #99

At Florida (Addazio was OC for 2009 and 2010):

2009: #6 (He was give the keys to Tim Tebow his senior year.)
2010: #82

At Temple (HC in 2011 and 2012):

2011: #63
2012: #107

Addazio is a good speaker and he seems to be doing a good job this year so far in recruiting after last year's recruiting disaster at BC. But, the jury is still out on him as a head coach. And, name me one top college football coach that got his first head coaching job after age 50 like Addazio? If UConn hires a new head coach next year, I want someone that is better than Addazio.

Reactions: pj

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
U haven't addressed where we would be If we got addazio two years ago an he splits. We would be Ina worse situation or no

I'm not saying we get daz 2 years ago when Hathaway was hiring a coach. I wanted leach then and he was up for grabs. He went to Washington for Christ sake. He could have been ours.

I'm saying this past December after year 2 with p we could have cleaned house on dec 1st and hired him and kept brown. Look at what we pay p. we could have easily done this. It would have been a race uconn vs bc for dazzler. I think we could have won it. At least we would have found out. Instead we're stuck where we are today. There were other options besides the dazzler this past dec also. He'll I would take tjw for bc or ruhle right now also. Dazzler would only be a coupłe months into uconn right now job wise. He would be here for a couple. It would have completely changed our perception football wise over night. Who knows if we're in the acc then. We should have cleaned house when we could of. Perception is everything. 2years and clean would have been a strong message to the rest of college football that we are here to play ball and not wake Forrest and duke our way thru things. If while the dazzler is here we got a invite elsewhere then we can pay him even more and hopefully keep him like Lville did strong. Or we mad eit he still leaves a couple years down the road but were in a much better spot for hiring a new coach. The options are endless, no matter which u like, it all started with cleaning house on December 1st. Instead the rockstar saw a opportunity to not get Ballzy and instead use the just got here excuse. We have just as good a chance of dying as a program and being left out as succeeding now because of that decision he made.

Warde can talk to the press and say past leadership was at fault blah blah. He's right. Past leadership was bad. But he also needs to look in the mirror. He could have flipped is whole program overnight with a bold move. He stood still then had the balls as a ad to yell at the kids in the locker room.

Lock at e perception issues. Look at the timeline. Look at others and how they handle things. We did it all wrong and because of it we all sit here daily with a bad attitude because we are left out. Want to be picked? Then get real leadership and a clue.

Reaction Score
What has leech done at Washington other than release more stench. No thanks. Tempting but the guy is a genius but not all there mentally.

What makes u so sure we could have beaten bc for addazio. Big assumption. Other than Pasta or pizza. Steve is goo. To be playing the big boys in prime time spots. Hard to compete with.

what a fantasy though

Reaction Score
Valuation?

I can go to the blackboard & give you the formula for stock valuation. Or Bonds. Real Estate - I'd bend your ear for a long time on commercial property.

They all depend on a very basic thing; your realistic view of Future Cash Flow & how you discount that back to today. (Valuing the risk & probability).

Tell me all about these numbers. I don't know the eyeballs who've tuned into our football. I understand the basic concept of RU; though I don't believe them. My point is that our Football & our AD has a far brighter future than SU or Pitt or BC. We have strong markets not explored (see Hathaway). The ACC went by the past; you value on future CF.

And Dan: I see your criticism of Warde Manual as childish & silly. So ... You don't like some sound bite. The Island trip. Real decisions are being made. Judge that.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
And Dan: I see your criticism of Warde Manual as childish & silly. So ... You don't like some sound bite. The Island trip. Real decisions are being made. Judge that.

name those decisions.

Reaction Score
Valuation?

I can go to the blackboard & give you the formula for stock valuation. Or Bonds. Real Estate - I'd bend your ear for a long time on commercial property.

They all depend on a very basic thing; your realistic view of Future Cash Flow & how you discount that back to today. (Valuing the risk & probability).

Tell me all about these numbers. I don't know the eyeballs who've tuned into our football. I understand the basic concept of RU; though I don't believe them. My point is that our Football & our AD has a far brighter future than SU or Pitt or BC. We have strong markets not explored (see Hathaway). The ACC went by the past; you value on future CF.

An economic study of the money put toward the expansion of U. Texas's stadium compared that investment to the hypothetical investment on the academic side and the latter numbers dwarfed the others even considering contributions etc. If you google David Hillis and UT, you'll see references to the study. It was published in the student newspaper.

Reaction Score
Here is a copy of the bill (bracketed is old, underlined is new):
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/amd/S/pdf/2013SB-00840-R00SA-AMD.pdf

The column titled Phase III shows the allocated amounts.

It seems like (except for money for the Medical School) the money is going to UConn buildings. The hiring of new faculty and the increase in students is related to the increase in tuition. This is not so different from what SUNY passed last year. Up tuition, hire more faculty, increase student enrollment.

Reaction Score

well we certainly got the stepping back part down. As far "new systems" go I hope you're talking about the one TJ Weist is bringing in. I'm trying to hold my fire on PP until the season begins. The best I'm hoping for is he stays out of TJ's way and works with HH to make sure there's not too much of a dropoff on the defense. Even if the offense has a great year it will show that the past two years (and a defense that had 4 NFL draft picks) were wasted because PP felt obligated to bring along his boy -- and I highly doubt Hathaway bothered to ask PP normal questions like "who will your offensive coordinator be" and "what's your offensive philosophy?"

I'm still baffled about the provincialism on this board when it comes to citing the home state of the head coach as a positive (and a shield to deflect his inadequacies). What difference does it make? Jim Calhoun is from Mass, Bear Bryant was from Arkansas; Nick Saban is from West Virginia, Joe Paterno was from New York, etc. etc. Next go-round let's try to hire the best coach, not the best coach with CT ties.

Reaction Score
It seems like (except for money for the Medical School) the money is going to UConn buildings. The hiring of new faculty and the increase in students is related to the increase in tuition. This is not so different from what SUNY passed last year. Up tuition, hire more faculty, increase student enrollment.

The breakdown is in a ppt on the next generation site on uconn.edu - I cannot link now. From memory, I recall something on the order of 800 in new labs and teaching facilities, 200 in maintenance ( read renovate and convert torrey and gant into teaching not research labs ), 150 in new and maintained residential dorms, 100 in infrastructure ( e.g. replace steam piping underground ) and the rest in specialty research equipment.

Reaction Score
well we certainly got the stepping back part down. As far "new systems" go I hope you're talking about the one TJ Weist is bringing in. I'm trying to hold my fire on PP until the season begins. The best I'm hoping for is he stays out of TJ's way and works with HH to make sure there's not too much of a dropoff on the defense. Even if the offense has a great year it will show that the past two years (and a defense that had 4 NFL draft picks) were wasted because PP felt obligated to bring along his boy -- and I highly doubt Hathaway bothered to ask PP normal questions like "who will your offensive coordinator be" and "what's your offensive philosophy?"

I'm still baffled about the provincialism on this board when it comes to citing the home state of the head coach as a positive (and a shield to deflect his inadequacies). What difference does it make? Jim Calhoun is from Mass, Bear Bryant was from Arkansas; Nick Saban is from West Virginia, Joe Paterno was from New York, etc. etc. Next go-round let's try to hire the best coach, not the best coach with CT ties.
Well I course we should hire the best coach. My only point was this was a final destination or him and we don't have to worry about him leaving. Having a coach leave after two years ( see Pitt and temple) isn't good for the program either.

I just choose to be an optimist rather than beat myself over the head about the coach. I feel we are close on offense. The offense we are trying to run has a big upside one we get it down. Will be difficult for opposing dc to plan for Lets not expect too much on offense but if we can get to the 20 point per game range that would be acceptable improvement.

If we do five or six wins again. I agree. Time to look elsewhere for a coach. Until then let's support what we have

Reaction Score
Well I course we should hire the best coach. My only point was this was a final destination or him and we don't have to worry about him leaving. Having a coach leave after two years ( see Pitt and temple) isn't good for the program either.

I just choose to be an optimist rather than beat myself over the head about the coach. I feel we are close on offense. The offense we are trying to run has a big upside one we get it down. Will be difficult for opposing dc to plan for Lets not expect too much on offense but if we can get to the 20 point per game range that would be acceptable improvement.

If we do five or six wins again. I agree. Time to look elsewhere for a coach. Until then let's support what we have
Both Pitt and Temple benefited buy getting into better conferences. I think having a series of aggressive younger coach has not hurt Cinci at all. My sense is that PP is here until he retires. Those kind of coaches never win big. They are collecting paychecks because the fire has gone out. They do enough to keep their jobs and they ride the loyalty train as long as there are factions at the school the value that trait. The best older coaches (Holtz, Paterno, Bowden) won in their prime, not late in their careers. Were PP's best years at Cuse and now Uconn gets the end of his career?

You have no choice other than to support what is there, mainly because of the kids that play the game for your enjoyment. You don't want failure, but is 7-8 wins really good enough? The bottom line is whether this coach and this staff has the fire to recruit the kids you need, and the aggressive play calling and philosophy that will consistently win 10 games. Because until Uconn is consistently 10-2 in the AAC and champion of the league for consecutive seasons, there will be no respect for the program and that hoped for invite will forever remain a hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom