Parade is Sunday at 4 PM | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Parade is Sunday at 4 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I apologize if I was being douchey. Was frustrated with dealing with Whaler ignoring my posts that they should do something, while trying to mock me as if I said they shouldn't do anything, and I probably took that out on you.

An hour in the car for me is like 5 minutes, so that wouldn't stop me, but I've driven to Toronto, Indiana (ND), Michigan and Louisville for games. Sometimes I forget people aren't as willing to make an hour drive as I am.

You said there is no point because people knows it exists.

Well I told a basketball season ticket holder who has never set foot in the Rent this morning I was going to the spring game tomorrow.

He said: Football? That has already started? Then he asked me who the coach is.

So I'm guessing there are some other people who haven't really been exposed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Second person I told who invited me to parties for both final four games asked me 'whats a spring game'.

So maybe some opportunity here to raise awareness.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not to belabor this further but Whaler and my examples, while they seem inconceivable to us, are really what a lot of UConn basketball fans think around the state about UConn football.

Diaco seems really likable, and maybe if he got 100 people to sign up for tickets and 100 more considered it after hearing him and seeing the game, it'd be a win.

The key is getting people there just once and tailgating with friends and hopefully seeing a UConn win.

In my opinion, fan bases are like compounding interest.. They start out slow but they build upon themselves overtime until you say wow, I have 14 people getting tickets on my crew when we started with 4.

Regardless of how the spring game plays out I hope UConn puts a lot of Diaco centric ads up this summer.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Look at that now we are talking. Nice job.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Anyone know if the parade be streamed online?

Reaction Score
You said there is no point because people knows it exists.

Well I told a basketball season ticket holder who has never set foot in the Rent this morning I was going to the spring game tomorrow.

He said: Football? That has already started? Then he asked me who the coach is.

So I'm guessing there are some other people who haven't really been exposed.

Congratulations, you've given this board a second Waylon. As if one wasn't enough.

Reaction Score
Ironically the guy you are agreeing with has said he and I are largely in agreement. I would ask why you choose to be an a--hole but it's obviously just your nature.
Look at that now we are talking. Nice job.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ironically the guy you are agreeing with has said he and I are largely in agreement. I would ask why you choose to be an a--hole but it's obviously just your nature.

I was commenting on the tweet.

I'm not being anything - you are just all over the place on this one and started all of this nonsense by acting like there was no opportunity to draw some attention.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because this is the Boneyard where no matter how many times you post something, someone will ignore it. I agree there's an opportunity to do something at the spring game, and they should do something more than just having the trophies there. But...

Are there fans of UConn sports that don't realize we have a football team? (rhetorical)

It's been 10 years, we've won two conference championships, and gone to a BCS bowl. People know we have a team, and they know that we were good for a few years (the attendance shows that) and that we sucked the past few years (the attendance shows that). We are long past the point where using basketball to introduce people to UConn Football will have any meaningful impact (JMHO).

Read what you wrote here.

Not doing something related to basketball Saturday would have been a missed opportunity.

Now you can say it's complaining over nothing or it's not a big deal...

UConn has never capitalized on any athletic success. The basketball programs can't really be more successful - attendance shrinks over time. Football goes to a BCS Bowl and season ticket sales drop the next season.

So maybe you think the status quo half a**ed event is fine for Saturday. Or you can read Dooley's post on the football board and imagine what other schools would do with an opportunity like a double national championship won the prior week.

Nobody is saying you are going to turn women's basketball fans into Spackler or BizLaw overnight because they went to a spring game.
But this idea that everyone knows we have a team so who cares, no big deal is right out of the Hathaway playbook.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
UCONN has a football team?

I'm not a devoted UCONN Football fan. I go to a few games. I think the product needs to get better. I had no idea the Spring game was today until I saw it in this thread.
I do think a little tie-in with the new coach and the 2 championship coaches would have helped attendance today. It won't keep them coming w/o an improving team. But that's all you can ask for when trying to promote a team. An opportunity was missed. Huge or small, it was missed

Reaction Score
Read what you wrote here.

Not doing something related to basketball Saturday would have been a missed opportunity.

Now you can say it's complaining over nothing or it's not a big deal...

UConn has never capitalized on any athletic success. The basketball programs can't really be more successful - attendance shrinks over time. Football goes to a BCS Bowl and season ticket sales drop the next season.

So maybe you think the status quo half a**ed event is fine for Saturday. Or you can read Dooley's post on the football board and imagine what other schools would do with an opportunity like a double national championship won the prior week.

Nobody is saying you are going to turn women's basketball fans into Spackler or BizLaw overnight because they went to a spring game.
But this idea that everyone knows we have a team so who cares, no big deal is right out of the Hathaway playbook.

Again, one nelson/waylon on this board is enough.

This is the third or fourth time you've accused me of writing something I didn't write.

The reason you think I'm all over the place is because you're making things up to respond to.

Reaction Score
I was commenting on the tweet.

I'm not being anything - you are just all over the place on this one and started all of this nonsense by acting like there was no opportunity to draw some attention.

You mean the one that said they are doing what I suggested in my email to Warde Manuel?

:rolleyes:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Anyone know the route? Gotta plan which bars I'll need to hit up.

Reaction Score
A couple pages back......... "You're welcome" for my interest in Connecticut football.

As for UCONN basketball fans being late to the UCONN football party - late is better than never. Thanks for interest in UCONN football. Welcome to the party.

As for realizing the importance of football to the grand scheme of things in intercollegiate athletics and what levels of competition an institution may aspire to compete at, and associate with nationally - late to the party is better than never, but not by much. We were already in the party, but as a majority our leadership were not prepared for big boy football, when the party moved recently, we were left holding the tab for damages and no invite to the new party spot.

Only thing that can be done, the football way, is study your performance in great detail, figure out what you did wrong, and work to correct those mistakes for the next time you do something. It's good to see some of the basketball fans like you writing and showing not only interest, but actual knowledge of the subject matter. I do not mean this in a derogatory way. Please don't take it that way. I write that, because the things you have written show that knowledge of the subject matter is spreading. That is good.

In 132 days, UCONN will kickoff the 2014 season against a historically significant and relevant national football program. BYU won a national championship in football, when UCONN's big game of the year wasn't even a home game - it was a road game played in New Haven. BYU has a national title in football, we do not. I want one, but it's a long, long road to get there but nothing is impossible. When BYU won a national title in football, the concept that UCONN basketball would be a 4 time national champion in men's and 9 times in women's was laughable. Time and effort and goals.

The one thing I will note and hopefully change the line of thinking a bit, is that the major - HUGE - difference in football to basketball among the fans is hidden below the surface in what you write. In basketball, there are ample, AMPLE opportunities to enjoy the experience of being a fan - to back and forth to games and share the time with people and FAMILY with similar interests. The basketball FAMILY has had decades of winning and ample - ample numbers of games to enjoy. In football, there are at maximum - 8 home games a year to build the UCONN FAMILY. Literally - as you say with parents and children and figuratively. Usually 7 sometimes only 6. Each home game for football is a very rare and important experience for fans.

The tailgating experience, if you are able - is part of it. The environment inside the stadium needs to be part of it. The team on the field kicking ass is part of it. Each person that shows up on game day is part of making the entire experience successful. It is a full day commitment really - unlike a basketball gameday. It needs to be, because football games are so few and far between during the course of a calendar year - yet are so important to the health and vitality of a division 1A athletic department.

UCONN is now into it's second decade of building that experience. We've won a bunch along the way too, which is nice - and the winning is essential really - as it was 10 years ago before we got the official invite to the big boy party, and now in 2014, we find ourselves outside again. But it is only now, that effort, real effort is being made to bridge the interest in the UCONN brand. That goes along with the same root of the problem as to why our leadership failed to understand the changing landscape from 2002-2012. Virgins in big boy football the vast majority of our leadership was. Not anymore. We have a powerful thing at UCONN, in our fan base that has built up around basketball in the past 3 decades.

It would be great Hans, if you would take the plunge and buy tickets to the game vs. BYU in 132 days. Come a few hours early. Walk through parking lots, up and down the rows. Keep a safe arm's length distance minimum from the drunken college students. They tend to spill beer a lot and want to hug you. Feel free to walk up and ask the people what they are cooking and how long they've been coming. As you get closer to the stadium, you'll meet more and more veteran than rookies at the whole thing.

Talk to your friends about it. We have 3 home games in September. That's when game day is a little less rigorous. Come home game days in late NOvember and December - the game day experience gets a little more hard core. And hardcore is what UCONN fans do well.

So the freebie dive in spring game - unfortunately - doesn't get you the real taste - that comes on actual game day in the fall, and if you enjoy it in the warm days of September, chances are a game played in hardcore conditions to a win or loss in a hard fought game that has championships meaning - late in the season will give you an entirely new and amazing experience of UCONN sports.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32