• No (I'm a Yankee fan)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you look at Baseball-Reference.com, there is a category for potential Hall of Famers. Interestingly, David Ortiz comes up short for hitting but when you look at the category "Hall of Fame Monitor", David appears to be a virtual cinch to make it with a score of 132.
Hall of Fame Monitor

All-Time and Active Leaders
This is another Jamesian creation. It attempts to assess how likely (not how deserving) an active player is to make the Hall of Fame. It's rough scale is 100 means a good possibility and 130 is a virtual cinch.

Whether he makes it or not, I can't guess but I want to see his number displayed on the walls of Fenway with the other greats.

Reaction Score
Don't assume that there is no suspicion of PED usage with Edgar Martinez. Here's a guy that didn't hit for power at all until he was 32 years old, which happened to coincide with the explosion of PEDs . . .

Reaction Score
Bagwell belongs. So does Piazza.

As does Ortiz.

All cheaters....if Bonds, Clemens and so many others aren't in NONE of them deserve to be in.....if ARod won't get in then Papi should fall miles short!!

Reaction Score
All cheaters....if Bonds, Clemens and so many others aren't in NONE of them deserve to be in.....if ARod won't get in then Papi should fall miles short!!

Jose Canseco says there is already a steroid guy in the HOF and he was pretty accurate when he was outing people. He didn't say who it was but it is pretty easy to guess, it's Rickey Henderson.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
First ballot, no question. He is the greatest clutch player the Sox have ever had and has 3 rings. Whiny beyotch yankee fans would have enshrined him already if he did similar things in pinstripes.

No. For Yankee fans, a player with three rings is not that big of a deal.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
OK. I am getting back to you. Papi already has 60 more home runs and 200 more RBI than Martinez finished with. And he will add to those totals. Additionally, he has 3 world series rings and a world series MVP award. Martinez had zero. Those are pretty big distinguishers. He is also a 9 time all star and holds the career records for hits, homers, and RBI as a DH. In my mind, he gets in the HOF easily.

If any DH gets in, Papi should be a lock. My problem is I don't like the DH rule. What's next, a designated runner for catchers? All pitchers should bat, and all batters should play a position.

I do have a question - AL vs NL starting pitchers ... What's the avg number of innings pitched? Are NL pitchers pulled sooner in order to get a stronger bat in the order?

Reaction Score
No. For Yankee fans, a player with three rings is not that big of a deal.

Wrong, a "player" with 3 rings is. Pedroia will be in it from what i can see, he just won a GG again. He's a "player", a baseball player he wears a glove. Tough to figure out huh? Papi's numbers are the same as Don Mattingly and Mattingly was twice the "player".........and he shouldn't be in!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If any DH gets in, Papi should be a lock. My problem is I don't like the DH rule. What's next, a designated runner for catchers? All pitchers should bat, and all batters should play a position.

I do have a question - AL vs NL starting pitchers ... What's the avg number of innings pitched? Are NL pitchers pulled sooner in order to get a stronger bat in the order?
DH has been a bona fide position for 40 years. Its not going away. It is a specialize position, no doubt and you can draw a correlation between the DH and a kicker in football. There is only one place kicker and no punters in Canton, but there is a place kicker (Jan Stenerud)...

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I believe that the PED suspicions will play a far larger role in keeping Ortiz out than the DH will. It is my belief that MLB would like the idea of a DH in the hall solely as a means to legitimize the role.

For the record I m an AL fan but I have disliked the DH since it was enacted.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I believe there should be a separate HOF for dopers. How did batters hit against doping pitchers and vice versa. No other stats count. Divide the totals by number of years doping as alleged by Jose Conseco

On a less serious note, I see no reason to exclude DHs. It's been an official position for like 50 years. Traditionalists need to get over it and so do sportswriters. Maybe American League pitchers should be given more HOF leeway because they had to deal with a higher % of real batters.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It is an entirely different game (DH vs no DH) as without a DH not only is there a virtual non-entity batting in the nine hole, the bat is almost always taken out of the hands of the eight hitter. Against an NL lineup 22% of the offense is often non-existent.

Reaction Score
I believe that the PED suspicions will play a far larger role in keeping Ortiz out than the DH will. It is my belief that MLB would like the idea of a DH in the hall solely as a means to legitimize the role.

For the record I m an AL fan but I have disliked the DH since it was enacted.
I think it would be a shame for a player to be not voted into the Hall of Fame based on suspicions. I am sure that somewhere, someone is suspicious of everyone who ever played the game. Maybe they should just vote on the players career and be done with it. Yes, I know that would put Barry Bonds, Arod, Sammy Sosa, Roger Clemens and many others in there but so what. PED's or not, they were great players. For the purists, a separate list compiled by a special branch of the committee would list those who may have used PED's. This list could be posted at the entrance to the Hall of Fame and all who were interested could read it. Fans could then adjust their level of admiration accordingly.

As for the DH rule like it or not, it is a part of baseball just as is artificial turf, night baseball, expansion teams and expanded rosters. If David Ortiz plays two more years and reaches 500 HR's, how can you not include him?

Reaction Score
I think it would be a shame for a player to be not voted into the Hall of Fame based on suspicions. I am sure that somewhere, someone is suspicious of everyone who ever played the game. Maybe they should just vote on the players career and be done with it. Yes, I know that would put Barry Bonds, Arod, Sammy Sosa, Roger Clemens and many others in there but so what. PED's or not, they were great players. For the purists, a separate list compiled by a special branch of the committee would list those who may have used PED's. This list could be posted at the entrance to the Hall of Fame and all who were interested could read it. Fans could then adjust their level of admiration accordingly.

As for the DH rule like it or not, it is a part of baseball just as is artificial turf, night baseball, expansion teams and expanded rosters. If David Ortiz plays two more years and reaches 500 HR's, how can you not include him?

Suspicion? Ortiz was named, he's right there with Clemens, Sosa, McGwire, Arod and the rest.........DH is just part of the fact he has no right to the place!

Reaction Score
Suspicion? Ortiz was named, he's right there with Clemens, Sosa, McGwire, Arod and the rest.........DH is just part of the fact he has no right to the place!

That's what gets me, the Sox fans refuse to accept that he was on the list. People keep telling them and then they respond like it didn't happen.

Reaction Score
That's what gets me, the Sox fans refuse to accept that he was on the list. People keep telling them and then they respond like it didn't happen.

That's because he did too and everyone said "...oh he's a nice guy that's okay"...........then there's ARod who is a d**k except they're no different in reality! One's a better actor!

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
What?

If there is a base open and a pitcher on deck the eight hitter will seldom see a pitch to hit.

The common term for not attacking a batter because he has no protection (a solid bat behind him) is taking the bat out of his hands. For the record, the common term for having a solid bat behind you in the batting order is protection.

Reaction Score
Pitchers batting s ucks

Should be DH in both leagues

Rather watch a David Ortiz bat or Carl Yastrzemski add five ears to his career or the thrill of watching a Ryan Dempster strike out or try and bunt....or the magic of the double switch?

Reaction Score
Pitchers batting s ucks

Rather watch a David Ortiz bat or Carl Yastrzemski add five ears to his career or the thrill of watching a Ryan Dempster strike out or try and bunt....or the magic of the double switch?

Spoken like a true AL fan.

The NL plays baseball. Unlike the video game "3 run HR" strategy of the AL.

Reaction Score
Pitchers batting s ucks

There was a time when I was opposed to the DH for many of the same reasons that National League fans are against it still. However, soon the only place where the DH is not used will be the National League. Watching someone come up to the plate who has virtually no experience batting is not only boring but could be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom