Palpable Buzz | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Palpable Buzz

Reaction Score
Don't believe everything you hear my advice. Not that Rique isn't a good player but best player lol. He was a very bad defender and his overall effect on the game last year was negative.

If he's better than Jalen then he's a first round pick after this year. Jalen has more size, skill, talent, and leadership qualities as a point guard.

I don't like these blanket statements because it once again seems that the coaching staff is prioritizing a freshman over Jalen in who will be regarded as the team leader and main ball handler.

Jalen needs to get in better physical shape.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
My biggest worry:

Last year Jalen looked his best when handeling the rock and distributing. His vision on the court was masterful at times.
If AG becomes the primary ball handler, I'm not sure how Jalen's game will further develop. Not saying it won't, just that JA primarily being off the ball a lil nervous how his game is going to develop. Even though Bazz & Boat were natural 1's both were great off the ball as well. Hoping for the same this year too
Jalen shot almost 50% on catch-and-shoot 3s. He just wasn't able to take many of them last year because he was literally the only ball-handler.

I think they'll work together really well. I do doubt the premise of this thread, though.

Reaction Score
Gilbert is a very talented point guard. He's very skilled and has a lot of intangibles like toughness, moxie, clutch ability, leadership, etc. Jalen has all those attributes as well. I said it a while back and caught a lot of heat but this team most parallels the 2014 team. We have to hope our three best players stay healthy like 2014 and if they do with some breaks we got a shot to make a deep run.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
They say moxie wins championships right?

Reaction Score
What's important is how good are they together. For this team to be successful both of these guys have to balance their efforts between distributing and scoring. Gilbert is going to be the primary ball handler and 1 guard looking to keep the team offense flowing, and looking for his shot second. Jalen, who will also be sharing the ball handling has a slightly different balance in that he is the starting 2 guard looking to score, but also keep the offense flowing by distributing. Between these two together they need to develop the symmetry to become one of the best starting backcourts in the nation. This is how they will both be at their best because it's not all about individual scoring, it's about winning through team play, and these two are the main facilitators. These guys are interchangeable although Alterique has a better handle. The symmetry between these two is one of the primary keys to the season and they both know it. Bleed Blue fellas.

Reaction Score
This shouldn't turn into a jalen vs ag conversation! It's just good to hear that statement either way. Jalen knows what he has to prove, Terry too! Maybe this buzz is just motivation for AG to try to live up to the hype? Maybe he actually looks really good? Either way this bids well for Uconn basketball this year, and that excites me!

They are both on OUR team. A vs conversation is so out of place. How about the beauty of them playing together.

Reaction Score
He has great skill and not saying he won't be good for us but to be realistic, at his size we saw him shut down last year at times when he tried to drive to the rim, that is no knock on him but guards who are 6 inches taller are a challenge. His long range shooting needed work which we all saw so I just can't see him being better than Jalen. Hope he proves me wrong.

Reaction Score
This shouldn't turn into a jalen vs ag conversation! It's just good to hear that statement either way. Jalen knows what he has to prove, Terry too! Maybe this buzz is just motivation for AG to try to live up to the hype? Maybe he actually looks really good? Either way this bids well for Uconn basketball this year, and that excites me!

In fairness, there was no way it wasn't going to turn into that, and at this point, hopefully that stays out of the players' ears. It's better for us that Jalen is considered the unquestioned leader heading into the season.

Interestingly, Jalen averaged 11 points and 4 assists on 39% shooting in the three games Gilbert played last year, then proceeded to average 29 and 7 on 63% shooting in the first three games without him. So that dynamic will be interesting to watch.

Reaction Score
In fairness, there was no way it wasn't going to turn into that, and at this point, hopefully that stays out of the players' ears. It's better for us that Jalen is considered the unquestioned leader heading into the season.

Interestingly, Jalen averaged 11 points and 4 assists on 39% shooting in the three games Gilbert played last year, then proceeded to average 29 and 7 on 63% shooting in the first three games without him. So that dynamic will be interesting to watch.
I think Jalen was tentative to take the reigns. The injuries were a blessing and a curse. It became Jalen's team when Alterique and Larrier went down. It's Jalen's team (I want him taking the last shot) and we'll see that from the start.

Reaction Score
I think Jalen was tentative to take the reigns. The injuries were a blessing and a curse. It became Jalen's team when Alterique and Larrier went down. It's Jalen's team (I want him taking the last shot) and we'll see that from the start.
It's true, Jalen was tentative at first because he's not a natural point guard but he adjusted as excellent players do, and by playing last year as the primary ball handler/point guard, his overall game which we'll see this year, grew tremendously. He became much more skilled by having to lead the team last year. True, he had tons of assists, but he was the only distributor by default. AG is a very talented natural point guard with an incredible handle, and from everything I've been hearing for two years he also has very strong leadership skills both on and off the court, which are just part of his persona. The coaching staff tout his leadership abilities. This is both Jalen's and Alterique's team. All part of the aforementioned symmetry between the two of them. Terry Larrier has a ton of respect on this team also.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
"Oh, he's the best player on the team," El-Amin replied.

You mean besides you and Richard Hamilton, right?

"I said, he's the best player on the team."

Out of Africa Forced to leave his home in war-torn Sudan at age nine and raised in Egypt and England 6'11" freshman forward Ajou Deng is bringing a world of talent to Connecticut

#palpablebuzz

In all seriousness, I DO think AG is going to be awesome. But better than JA this year? Gosh, I doubt it.
If KEA said it, who are we to question it?
The guy had an ego that wouldn't quit so if he said that the kid was better than him - I'm buying it

Reaction Score
Don't believe everything you hear my advice. Not that Rique isn't a good player but best player lol. He was a very bad defender and his overall effect on the game last year was negative.

If he's better than Jalen then he's a first round pick after this year. Jalen has more size, skill, talent, and leadership qualities as a point guard.

I don't like these blanket statements because it once again seems that the coaching staff is prioritizing a freshman over Jalen in who will be regarded as the team leader and main ball handler.

Jalen needs to get in better physical shape.
This post is wildly inaccurate.

Reaction Score
That may have been true as a practice player, which is all Khalid had seen of him at the time he made his comment. Unfortunately, it didn't transfer to the court during real games.

I find it amazing that a guy who is reportedly that talented becomes average when in a real game. Even at Fairfield, I don't recall him being a star.

Reaction Score
I find it amazing that a guy who is reportedly that talented becomes average when in a real game. Even at Fairfield, I don't recall him being a star.

What youre saying is the essence of recruiting the diamonds in the rough, or really anyone past the 5 stars. Who has the "it" factor. Calhoun was a master of this, lets hope kill, ollie, and killings are too.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
this is going to sound corny as hell but rique controlling the aux cord was huge first indicator. he has lockerroom under his control

Yea... or he's just the player on the team who is most passionate about music.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom