Paige Update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paige Update

Reaction Score
A 110 percent ready Paige NEXT YEAR, in the long term is better than an 85 percent Paige NOW. I can handle the wait? In life, expectations often are better than the fact.

When did you get your medical training? What is 110% of herself? How did you arrive at 85%? So she has to be beyond 100% to play?????

IMO the media has allowed this near-paranoia over Bueckers' injury to flourish by sensationalizing the extent of the injury with images of metal plates and screws holding a complete fracture together.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
According to GENO, Paige and only Paige will say when she is ready to play. She won't let a doctor release her if she doesn't feel ready. So ask Paige!
Me too, I want Paige or her parents give their blessing before she plays. It is her future, her life to fix or ruin (obviously with medical input).
Exactly.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So it's OK for her groin to participate in 3 hr practices but games are too risky?

You generally don't play unless you can practice. If you want her to rest the injury then she has to stop practicing and just sit until March?
Where exactly in my post did I state that she will be practicing but not playing in games. My premise was that she had recovered and I stated that in my post. And if you want to get the context of my post, please read the post that I was replying to.

Reaction Score
Poster after Poster acts like coming back from injury is some sort of strategic move by the coaching staff. IMO these are young athletes ready to get back into action as soon as they are cleared to return. This "wait til next year" stuff is nonsense. Feels like Roy Hobbs with the bullet fragment lodged in his abdomen, risking permanent damage if he played in the pennant deciding game. You guys with kids, how did you treat your own kids when they got their cast removed? Did you hold them inside until their limb fully healed or did you watch your child run off to the playground? These are young, world class athletes, waiting to do what they love to do most, play basketball.
BTW couldn't avoid saying it- too many injuries this year! What's going on? Stretching? Training? Recovery?
Traumatic injuries, like Junior Griffey running into a fence are unavoidable. Aaron Judge pulling a muscle swinging a bat, need to look into that one.

Reaction Score
So it's OK for her groin to participate in 3 hr practices but games are too risky?

You generally don't play unless you can practice. If you want her to rest the injury then she has to stop practicing and just sit until March?
In the press conference following the DePaul game Geno said that because of a series of injuries Dorka generally does not participate in practice. Even so, she certainly seems to be playing in games, and was not too shabby against DePaul.

Also, fwiw, practices this late in the season are not 3 hours long.

Reaction Score
In the press conference following the DePaul game Geno said that because of a series of injuries Dorka generally does not participate in practice. Even so, she certainly seems to be playing in games, and was not too shabby against DePaul.

Also, fwiw, practices this late in the season are not 3 hours long.
Agree, practices this time of year are less intense. There's scouting and specific emphasis on upcoming opponent, some drill work to stay sharp, some clock situations, and maybe one or two areas of focus for the day.
Sorry guys, I'm saying it and you're thinking it, why so many dang injuries?

Reaction Score
Where exactly in my post did I state that she will be practicing but not playing in games. My premise was that she had recovered and I stated that in my post. And if you want to get the context of my post, please read the post that I was replying to.
The point is that you have to practice well before you play. I want Bueckers back when she is 100% and both she and her doctors agree she is 100%. No sooner and no later. The best and consistent medical advise (other than yours) is that the injury should have healed 100% in 6-8 weeks and last Sunday's evaluation (again, by actual medical people with licenses) concluded that she is healing as expected and she is now incorporating some practice activity. So she is practicing, much like Mühl and Fudd did, in increments. This means she is doing basketball stuff and this will continue to become more intensive as long as there is no setback.

Practice is much more physically stressing than games so maybe you want all this practice stuff to end right now because she first has to be 110% and that won't be until the autumn, right?

And maybe we need to show Bueckers some respect for how she conducts herself. She may be an emotional warrior on the court but she leads a very disciplined life off it. Basketball is her life and from everything she has said I think she sees the big picture and will take care of herself.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Poster after Poster acts like coming back from injury is some sort of strategic move by the coaching staff. IMO these are young athletes ready to get back into action as soon as they are cleared to return. This "wait til next year" stuff is nonsense. Feels like Roy Hobbs with the bullet fragment lodged in his abdomen, risking permanent damage if he played in the pennant deciding game. You guys with kids, how did you treat your own kids when they got their cast removed? Did you hold them inside until their limb fully healed or did you watch your child run off to the playground? These are young, world class athletes, waiting to do what they love to do most, play basketball.
BTW couldn't avoid saying it- too many injuries this year! What's going on? Stretching? Training? Recovery?
Traumatic injuries, like Junior Griffey running into a fence are unavoidable. Aaron Judge pulling a muscle swinging a bat, need to look into that one.

I once played the day after I got my braces. Still not happy I didn't get much credit for playing through the pain.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Paige should be gradually integrated into the team practices timed for her to go full speed in the first practice after the final game of the Big East tourney either 8 or 9 March. This gives her 9-10 days of team practice before UCONN's first NCAA tourney game. UCONN's first two games of the NCAA tourney will give her all the game experience she will need. If the team can't win the Big East championship and tourney without her then they don't deserve to partake of the NCAA tourney.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
The point is that you have to practice well before you play. I want Bueckers back when she is 100% and both she and her doctors agree she is 100%. No sooner and no later. The best and consistent medical advise (other than yours) is that the injury should have healed 100% in 6-8 weeks and last Sunday's evaluation (again, by actual medical people with licenses) concluded that she is healing as expected and she is now incorporating some practice activity. So she is practicing, much like Mühl and Fudd did, in increments. This means she is doing basketball stuff and this will continue to become more intensive as long as there is no setback.

Practice is much more physically stressing than games so maybe you want all this practice stuff to end right now because she first has to be 110% and that won't be until the autumn, right?

And maybe we need to show Bueckers some respect for how she conducts herself. She may be an emotional warrior on the court but she leads a very disciplined life off it. Basketball is her life and from everything she has said I think she sees the big picture and will take care of herself.
Again you are ignoring what I am posting about. I know that this thread is about Paige BUT I was responding to a post that swerved to the current status of Caroline and Liv. I never mentioned Paige in any of replies to that swerve. Yet here we are with you quoting another of my posts that didn't mention Paige at all and Paige is all that you are talking about. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score

Here's the post.

As for Liv, groin injuries are treated by lots of rest, so they will probably keep her on the bench until the BE tournament, except for a brief Senior Game appearance, only if she has recovered tho.

You want ONO kept on the bench for 3 weeks to protect her groin? So that means shutting her down, no strength work and no practice of any kind since those activities are just as likely to cause/aggravate groin problems as playing. Maybe more so because UConn practices to exhaustion, when injuries happen.

The games are a small part of the strenuous work these athletes do off the court. If she is going to be sharp and ready for the tournament then she needs to practice and play.

I'm not saying to rush her back, just that she should play asap.

Reaction Score
no they didn't rush them back but they sure are playing a whole lot of minutes right now out of necessity.......not really ideal, especially in Azzi's case since a stress reaction is an overuse injury.........
Lol. I thought Azzi was cleared to play and her injury is a thing of the past. I guess she can't play normally because she once had an injury. Geno did not let her play unless she decided she was ok. You think she should have waited longer?

Reaction Score
I once played the day after I got my braces. Still not happy I didn't get much credit for playing through the pain.
Not if you played here. Would have to work you back slowly. Start off doing basketball-like activities. Nothing where your mouth could be affected. Maybe a redshirt or at least put you on ice until next season. We want to do the right thing and not risk your long term recovery and success. Oh crap, I forgot- you're 18 years old, in the absolute physical prime of your life, and your body is healing in overdrive.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not if you played here. Would have to work you back slowly. Start off doing basketball-like activities. Nothing where your mouth could be affected. Maybe a redshirt or at least put you on ice until next season. We want to do the right thing and not risk your long term recovery and success. Oh crap, I forgot- you're 18 years old, in the absolute physical prime of your life, and your body is healing in overdrive.

This is 2022. Invisalign don't hurt one bit, pun intended.

Reaction Score
Apparently, playing WBB in Storrs ain’t exactly like letting your kid “run off to the playground”.
Constant pounding on the hardwood; stress on lower body joints and bones ain’t exactly playing on the monkey bars.
God forbid I throw it out there:
Injury list indicates that these young ladies may be pressing it too hard.
Bone stress (pre fracture?)-Azzi
Leg fracture-Paige
Groin-Olivia
Foot, hand-Dorka
Concussion (?)-Caroline
Back-Evina
Sounds more like the injury squad for an NFL team.

Reaction Score
Lol. I thought Azzi was cleared to play and her injury is a thing of the past. I guess she can't play normally because she once had an injury. Geno did not let her play unless she decided she was ok. You think she should have waited longer?
in an ideal situation she would have worked her way back into logging 30 plus minutes over the course of a number of games.........stress reactions are a recurring problem for some and obviously that's something nobody wants to see in the case of Ms. Fudd..........

Reaction Score
Here's the post.

You want ONO kept on the bench for 3 weeks to protect her groin? So that means shutting her down, no strength work and no practice of any kind since those activities are just as likely to cause/aggravate groin problems as playing. Maybe more so because UConn practices to exhaustion, when injuries happen.

The games are a small part of the strenuous work these athletes do off the court. If she is going to be sharp and ready for the tournament then she needs to practice and play.

I'm not saying to rush her back, just that she should play asap.

Clearly, you know nothing about a groin injury, especially a female groin injury. It's not about wanting to practice/play. You physically CAN'T.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Dorka hasn’t always been able to practice because of her injuries but she still plays. Per Geno in the DePaul post game presser

Reaction Score
Dorka hasn’t always been able to practice because of her injuries but she still plays. Per Geno in the DePaul post game presser
In addition I believe Evina frequently did not practice or had limited practice last year but played. I think there is too much emphasis on being 100% whatever that means. To me it is not whether her timing is back, her wind is back, or if she can do every move as well as before, it is about the risk of re-injuring herself by coming back too soon.

I don't know the answer to that, but if the doctors believe she is past that point, then after a practice if she can be reasonably effective (doesn't have to be near 100%) and doesn't have a negative reaction the day after, then I think she could go if she feels ready. That is a lot of if's, but why does it have to be a predetermined number of practices, or waiting till she is 100%?

Paige at 80% playing only 10-15 minutes a game until she gets her wind back can help this team. As the skills come back with her conditioning, she is also having to get used to her teammates again and them with her. That takes some time and experience. We frequently cite different lineups and a lack of continuity for our problems this year. That applies to when Paige comes back too.

Every additional game or practice our ultimate tournament rotation can play together makes a difference. Many teams have had a whole season to develop that chemistry, we have far less, but getting Paige and everyone else back sooner vs. later IMO makes a big difference. I obviously have no idea what the doctors are saying regarding the risk of re injury, that is paramount, as is Paige's personal opinion, but getting game-time doesn't have to be after a fixed number of practices, having her conditioning all the way back, or reclaiming 100% of what she could do previously.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was already posted. If it was, I apologize for duplicating another's effort.
Disclaimer: I have no idea if the person that "owns" this YouTube channel is actually affiliated with Paige.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Just want to make this perfectly clear. There is no such thing as 110%, or 105%, or even 101%. 100% means maximum of what you are trying to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom