Paige out 6-8 weeks [Merged Thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Paige out 6-8 weeks [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was watching the replay of the game again last night. After her 3/4 court bomb to CW right before the half, she jumped way up in celebration and came down on her left leg first. She didn't exactly wince, but if seemed as though her next step was very slightly gingerly. If there was indeed a precedent injury, I would first look there for a culprit.
Check the 6:21 mark. The collision inside foul line. Lots of awkwardness there.

Reaction Score
Beemer, you hit the nail on the head!! Geno has told his players to do things they still are not doing. UConn had 21 turnovers in Sunday's game. Don't you think Geno has been harping to not turn the ball over, and to protect the ball since practice began? But they do it anyway. He tells and teaches them to stay in front of your man and don't let they drive by you for an easy lay-up, but they do it anyway. The post players that are foul prone are, not because Geno isn't or hasn't taught them how to play defense in the paint. They foul because they get beat, and are (most of the time) out of position, thus they reach. :confused: We've stopped rebounding. No doubt Geno has implored his team to go after and get rebounds, yet they don't.

How many times has he told certain players to shoot the ball when they have a good look? Do they do it? I have a premonition of things to come that I won't share at this time. I'm not a chicken little nor am I a harbinger of bad news. What I will say is the ONLY thing that will keep UConn afloat and formidable during these next 8 weeks is EXECUTION.

Several top 10 teams have already lost to teams ranked below them or teams that are unranked. UConn IS NOT above being victimized by hungry and determined unranked teams wanting to knock off the Huskies if they can. Of course the entire team needs to make a decision to step up. It MUST begin with the seniors. They can't expect any underclassman to take up that baton and except that responsibility before they do.

Geno and his staff will continue to coach the team up sufficiently to be successful. Whether they are or not depends strictly on their ability to EXECUTE the game plan and Geno's in-game instructions. That's why Geno loves Paige so much. She executes!! She makes good decisions, she plays hard on BOTH ends of the court and is not afraid to shoot. Every person on this team considers themselves a basketball player. Basketball players play.

220px-Fleet_Admiral_Chester_W._Nimitz_portrait.jpg

Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

Admiral Nimitz was credited with lots of quotes. One often remembered is what he told officers under his supervision: "when you're in command, command."

That directive can be said to our team with a small change of verbiage. If you're a basketball player, then play!! You're not a cheerleader or a spectator. You didn't come here to do either. When you get into the game, PLAY!! Play as hard and determined and with as much resolve and urgency as your opponents will against you. :mad:

Thank you. I have my moments :)

Reaction Score
It sounds like Paige would have sustained this injury if she was on the bench & jumped up in celebration of the UCONN basket. The damage might have already been done & the leg was weakened earlier.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Not familiar with this type of fracture but a quick Google suggests that it probably was not a non-contact injury, it just didn’t get fully aggravated until what we witnessed. Maybe earlier in the game where she hit the deck several times. Meaning this situation.was probably going to happen fairly soon even if she was already out of the game. Hope for a speedy and not too painful recovery.
Having dealt with this that is exactly what I thought. Not saying that's what it is, just it's a possibility especially after that first dive. She's tough but she does take a banging on that small frame.:(

Reaction Score
Christyn Williams and Evina Westbrook - here's looking at you, kids! Now's the time for these two to step up. At times CW seems like she's just content to be along for the ride, but she's got the talent to be driving the bus. Maybe this opportunity is finally what she needs to kick into attack mode all game, every game. No plays off!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Having dealt with this that is exactly what I thought. Not saying that's what it is, just it's a possibility especially after that first dive. She's tough but she does take a banging on that small frame.:(
Not at this level of play , but years ago I hurt my ankle in a pick up game. Walked around on it for a day before I decided to have it xrayed. Turned to be a hairline fracture. Meaning it isn’t nuts that she maybe wasn’t initially in enough pain to think much was wrong and kept going.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Guys, just a reminder that while cards are OK for our recouperating Huskies, we can’t send anything of value, even flowers. The NCAA, which makes, literally, billions off its student-athletes, would punish UConn for any “gift“.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yeah, but you get to see and delete things that we never see.
I don’t necessarily delete negative stuff. People have a right to post it. It’s just that there are some posters who are Eeyores that always have a raincloud over their heads and see doom and gloom around every corner. I have to see all posts so I notice those guys. :(

Reaction Score
true

That is correct. The damage had been done at some point prior to the point she went down. Maybe five minutes earlier, or maybe days or weeks before. Her being on the court when she went down was irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Guys, just a reminder that while cards are OK for our recouperating Huskies, we can’t send anything of value, even flowers. The NCAA, which makes, literally, billions off its student-athletes, would punish UConn for any “gift“.
What if you send her a few Franklin and ask her to send you a signed photo? Self addressed, stamped envelope of course.

NIL

Reaction Score
I remember Geno’s mini rant in 2001 saying that the NCAA was ridiculous for preventing people from sending Sveta flowers cuz ‘what do they think she’s gonna do walk out in the street to sell them’ and then just rolling his eyes

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How does the NCAA monitor all the floral deliveries across the nation? Does 1-800-flowers.com send a copy of their delivery schedules to the NCAA?
Because fans of, ahem, other programs scour the fan boards looking for people posting “I just sent Paige some flowers” posts. They then scurry off to write a letter to the NCAA. Remember the dopey 25 page complaint that was mostly posts from the Boneyard filed by someone, ahem, down South?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Because fans of, ahem, other programs scour the fan boards looking for people posting “I just sent Paige some flowers” posts. They then scurry off to write a letter to the NCAA. Remember the dopey 25 page complaint that was mostly posts from the Boneyard filed by someone, ahem, down South?
Did that person happen to love the color ORANGE?

Reaction Score

I’m sure that I’m not alone when I say that Geno from time to time makes comments about his players that makes me uncomfortable ( even making allowances for being the “ master puppeteer “.)
However his tweet about Paige injury dispels any doubts I might have had.
And similarly Dawn Staley’s reaction had the same effect
The important things in life are bursting through

Reaction Score
Actually, the injury is likely to be season-ending if you read about the nature of recovery (above). Surgery may be needed if the bones in the knee are not aligned, which includes reinforcing the alignment with hardware. Even if no surgery is needed immediately, the swelling will have to abate before that is known. Follow-up, after about 3 months, includes extensive physical therapy and muscle strengthening exercises to address atrophy. Future concerns include arthritis in the joint.
More needs to be known, but according to the typical recovery schedule it's unlikely Paige will play again this year. So sad.
The 6-8 week timeline certainly seems to diverge from most of the published material on this type of injury. That said, every injury and every patient are different. But fractures take time and there are a lot of variables around the knee joint that can impact the timeline. Her long-term health and a full recovery will undoubtedly be the number one priority. Until she's ready it's time for everybody to pull together and find some magic. Good luck to Paige :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom