Paige out 6-8 weeks [Merged Thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Paige out 6-8 weeks [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, bone fuses fairly quickly. But 99% of cases present soft tissue injuries, with most incurring both ACL and menicus injuries. To me the diagnosis of 6-8 weeks rules out ACL tears, but not meniscus injuries. These take further time to heal. Read the medical articles about recovery time for these type of injuries. Frankly I hope I get to swallow every one of my downer words, but I'm not as optimistic as many.
Maybe extra time, but definitely not the entire season, unless it doesn’t heal as expected which is possible with any serious injury.

Reaction Score
My first reaction to the 6-8 week recovery time was "Yes!! Dodged a bullet!" Apparently no or minimal ligament or tendon damage, which heal slower than most fractures and are more likely to be an issue in the future.

Losing Paige is huge and may well lead to some losses. My best take on this is that:
1. We will be in the NCAAs regardless.
2. The team will be forced to learn what they need to do to win without Paige. Geno has stressed that too many players have let Paige be the motor that runs things, to the detriment of their own games. No more looking to Paige when a shot or stop is need for awhile.
3. As as result of #2, when Paige returns she will have better and more confident teammates around her. She may well end up an assist machine if AE, EW, CW, Caroline Ducharme, Nika and, hopefully, Azzi and Aubrey, have upped their offensive games.
4. Speaking of Azzi, she should be back well before Paige and have time to get into the flow of games without having to worry about deferring to Paige. We sometimes forget what a huge talent she is and what a huge lift to the team it would be if she can shoot as advertised.
4. Come NCAAs time, regardless of seeding, UConn will be a mean machine.

sun

Reaction Score
There are so many different severity levels for this type of fracture that I'm going to remain optimistic.
I'll bet that Paige won't mind skipping most of the season and rehabbing in an attempt to make it to the big show.
That kind of NC exposure is what she lives for, and Geno won't make her cry over it.

Reaction Score
The release gave us a pretty clear timeline of what they think the recovery time will be. Sure they can always add more time to make sure she recovers but I don’t understand why people are now giving their own timelines. How are people doubling it into she’s out for four months or the year? Did you guys get information we didn’t? Did you see the X-ray?
Let’s give her that time, trust the staff and wait until they make further decisions.
And...while some of them (but likely very few) have medical training... Are any of them Paige's DR??? And directly familiar with the case?

Reaction Score
Good luck to Paige!
I had a traumatic tibial plateau fracture ( falling off a ladder ).
Surgery, yes for me, but I was in my sixties!! My surgery was
at Brigham and Women's in BOSTON, those Harvard Docs!
Yes, there was a good result with my leg. GO UCONN!

Reaction Score
Knee injuries/achilles injuries can happen at most inopportune times. I remember back in the day, a receiver went up to catch a pass at old Veterans Stadium in Phila. He came down and blew out both knees on the Vet Stadium turf. In those days, the turf was like painted concrete.
Obviously, Paige needs to think long term.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good luck to Paige!
I had a traumatic tibial plateau fracture ( falling off a ladder ).
Surgery, yes for me, but I was in my sixties!! My surgery was
at Brigham and Women's in BOSTON, those Harvard Docs!
Yes, there was a good result with my leg. GO UCONN!
I fell off a ladder years ago but had the good fortune not to land on my feet, assuming two broken ribs and a collapsed lung is “good furtune.” :(

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Drs. Arciero and Joyce are outstanding orthopedists and have been the team’s physicians for years. Paige will be in good hands with them and with Andrea Hudy for her rehab. I’m sure the 6-8 weeks is based on the specifics of her injury (which no one here knows anything about) and their clinical judgement. If it takes longer to heal than it does. No recovery timetable is etched in stone.

Reaction Score
I mean no offense in the UConn-sensitive thread, and am glad Paige's injury appears to be relatively minor.

6-8 weeks puts Paige possibly back in time for the South Carolina rematch at the end of January. I think both teams and fanbases would like to see her in that game. But that could be a tough call for Geno to make. While the competitor in both Geno and Paige will want her to play, is it a good idea?

In the big scheme of things, that game is not THAT meaningful. MARCH MATTERS! I would be philisophically opposed to our January game being her first game back. Better to bring her through a few easier games before then. It will be hard enough to temper her competitiveness in warmup games, but no way in what she will view as a revenge opportunity. She seems to lack a "take it easy gear" and I don't want our players taking it easy on her. We don't play a skillshooting half court offense with a loose zone.

I wish her the best and hope she is back soon enough to play us, but will be kinda holding my breath for her if she doesn't have m/any warm up games before we play.

Continued prayers for a full recovery.

Reaction Score
Food for thought. (I am not comparing these two players skill set so no comments on that please) Kyla Irwin was a 7-8 option for her first three years at UConn. She was a consummate game watcher from the bench. If you watch game replays she would go to a player coming off the court for a TV or opponents time out and tell her what she saw about the person that player was defending, or was being defended against. Watch the next few minutes of tape and said player used that knowledge in some way. When she did become a starter in her 4th year, she had a much better feeling for the game. Silver lining being Paige can offer that same insight Kyla offered. She can see how things develop, good or bad, on the court, and learn. Face it, through high school, AAU, and so far in college Paige has not been able to be Kyla at all as she was always on the court. This could be the biggest growth period for her and her game we've ever seen. Just my 2c there.
at some point down the road she will be a coach, she appears to love the game too much not to be.

Reaction Score
I fell off a ladder years ago but had the good fortune not to land on my feet, assuming two broken ribs and a collapsed lung is “good furtune.” :(
I fell down the basement stairs and landed on my knees. Pain went away fairly quickly. But even a simple stumble would elicit excruiating pain for about 5 minutes then go away. Lived with it for about a year then got a lateral meniscus tear diagnosis and then arthroscopic surgery.

Reaction Score
This is not as bad news as it could be. There’s a decent chance everyone is healthy for a title run in March.
I agree that this is an opportunity for ALL to heal and not try to come back too early. Everybody's career is precious. Let's put a healthy team on the floor.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Perhaps she should to shut down until next season.

"A tibial plateau fracture is a break of the larger lower leg bone below the knee that breaks into the knee joint itself. It is rare to only just break the bone. This is an injury that can involve the bone, meniscus, ligaments, muscles, tendons and skin around the knee."

"A non-displaced fracture of the tibial plateau is when the tibia sustains a break or crack without a fragment of the bone becoming separated. These fractures normally have a better future outcome than displaced fractures and usually, heal without surgical intervention within 3-4 months."

Reaction Score
I agree that this is an opportunity for ALL to heal and not try to come back too early. Everybody's career is precious. Let's put a healthy team on the floor.
absolutely! don't rush back ... 12 weeks takes her to the end of February. That's soon enough I think.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is how I'm trying to look at it. There's been a tendency IMO for the team to sit back & let Paige try to win the game for them. Now they'll have to do it themselves. This could be a blessing in disguise.
Beemer, you hit the nail on the head!! Geno has told his players to do things they still are not doing. UConn had 21 turnovers in Sunday's game. Don't you think Geno has been harping to not turn the ball over, and to protect the ball since practice began? But they do it anyway. He tells and teaches them to stay in front of your man and don't let they drive by you for an easy lay-up, but they do it anyway. The post players that are foul prone are, not because Geno isn't or hasn't taught them how to play defense in the paint. They foul because they get beat, and are (most of the time) out of position, thus they reach. :confused: We've stopped rebounding. No doubt Geno has implored his team to go after and get rebounds, yet they don't.

How many times has he told certain players to shoot the ball when they have a good look? Do they do it? I have a premonition of things to come that I won't share at this time. I'm not a chicken little nor am I a harbinger of bad news. What I will say is the ONLY thing that will keep UConn afloat and formidable during these next 8 weeks is EXECUTION.

Several top 10 teams have already lost to teams ranked below them or teams that are unranked. UConn IS NOT above being victimized by hungry and determined unranked teams wanting to knock off the Huskies if they can. Of course the entire team needs to make a decision to step up. It MUST begin with the seniors. They can't expect any underclassman to take up that baton and except that responsibility before they do.

Geno and his staff will continue to coach the team up sufficiently to be successful. Whether they are or not depends strictly on their ability to EXECUTE the game plan and Geno's in-game instructions. That's why Geno loves Paige so much. She executes!! She makes good decisions, she plays hard on BOTH ends of the court and is not afraid to shoot. Every person on this team considers themselves a basketball player. Basketball players play.

220px-Fleet_Admiral_Chester_W._Nimitz_portrait.jpg

Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

Admiral Nimitz was credited with lots of quotes. One often remembered is what he told officers under his supervision: "when you're in command, command."

That directive can be said to our team with a small change of verbiage. If you're a basketball player, then play!! You're not a cheerleader or a spectator. You didn't come here to do either. When you get into the game, PLAY!! Play as hard and determined and with as much resolve and urgency as your opponents will against you. :mad:

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Glad to hear it isn't an ACL and fortunately for UCONN it happened early in the season vs later in the year. If it's a 6-8 week recovery from today, it puts her recovery date between Jan 18 and Feb 1st.

Notable games on the schedule between now and then are:

Georgia Tech-unranked but just knocked off Georgia and received votes in both polls. Also lost to SEC bottom dweller Auburn and Purdue. I don't know much about the team but am assuming this should be an easy win for UCONN.

UCLA-NR/#25. Badly underachieving so far, albeit dealing with some injuries. Losses to Kent State and South Dakota State. Not sure how they're still ranked. UCONN should win this easily.

Louisville-#7/#5. Tough defensive team, struggles producing offensively. This is a dangerous game for UCONN since they'll be without their best player and playmaker. Home game should favor the Huskies, but unless others like Westbrook/Williams/Ducharme really step up as offensive threats, I think UCONN may lose this game.

Oregon-Ranked #22/NR. They've been really struggling without Pao Pao/Sabally to start the year. They shouldn't be ranked IMO but benefit from being a team with a lot of hype preseason. If Pao Pao and Sabally are back and Oregon is playing a lot better, it could be a dangerous game but they've got a long way to go before it's dangerous.

Between Jan 18-Feb 1st is the SC game. I don't see them winning without Paige.

Shortly after Feb 1st is the Tennessee game (Feb 6), who also lost their star player to a knee injury. Tennessee is another tough defensive team that rebounds better than maybe any other team in the country. If Burrell and back and playing at a high level and Bueckers is still sidelined, it's a very dangerous game for UCONN. If Bueckers is back and healthy, UCONN should be the heavy favorite but Tennessee isn't an easy team to beat anymore.

What does it mean for March?
Way too early to tell IMO. But even if UCONN falls to the 2 or 3 line, they'll have home games until the Final Four and will avoid a matchup vs SC before then, so all things considered I don't see it affecting UCONN's trajectory much, especially since most other Final Four threats are working through injuries as well.

Reaction Score
Perhaps she should to shut down until next season.

"A tibial plateau fracture is a break of the larger lower leg bone below the knee that breaks into the knee joint itself. It is rare to only just break the bone. This is an injury that can involve the bone, meniscus, ligaments, muscles, tendons and skin around the knee."

"A non-displaced fracture of the tibial plateau is when the tibia sustains a break or crack without a fragment of the bone becoming separated. These fractures normally have a better future outcome than displaced fractures and usually, heal without surgical intervention within 3-4 months."

Perhaps they should just listen to the doctors.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This from 'Inside Injuries' via The Athletic. So no, no surgery, and yes it's fair to expect her back in 6-8 weeks. Note the explanation of bruise v. fracture assumption.....some might say 'read between the lines'.

If this is all true then I will happily apologize and swallow every one of my Duncehead Downer statements said previously. I will also apologize for trying to brow beat my opinions onto others. I'll never be happier to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Actually, the injury is likely to be season-ending if you read about the nature of recovery (above). Surgery may be needed if the bones in the knee are not aligned, which includes reinforcing the alignment with hardware. Even if no surgery is needed immediately, the swelling will have to abate before that is known. Follow-up, after about 3 months, includes extensive physical therapy and muscle strengthening exercises to address atrophy. Future concerns include arthritis in the joint.
More needs to be known, but according to the typical recovery schedule it's unlikely Paige will play again this year. So sad.

It's very clear that you are not a doctor and have not talked to one.

Reaction Score
The team and reports didn't say. Normally, such an injury is treated thru Arthroscopic Surgery, and not a major invasive surgery. Again, no official reports on what they are going to do with Paige's injury, so your "Guess" is as good as mine.

Most non-displaced tibial plateau fractures are treated with NO surgery at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom