Paige cleared to play | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paige cleared to play

Reaction Score
Someone once said that the sign of a great player is that they make everyone around them better. I think this is the greatest truth in Paige. It seems that last year in many games we were lacking that "final push". I have no doubt that if she remains healthy we will be seeing Paige supplying that push leading us to a national championship game.

Reaction Score
Super excited for Paige. Doesn’t matter what schools you root for; college ball is better with her on the floor.

The last year has brought a ton of new eyes to the sport (largely by way of Clark and Reese), so to the extent the only freshman to ever win NPOY can be underrated, I think Paige is going to surprise a lot of people.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
California Kiss GIF by LA Fashion Festival

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Someone once said that the sign of a great player is that they make everyone around them better. I think this is the greatest truth in Paige. It seems that last year in many games we were lacking that "final push". I have no doubt that if she remains healthy we will be seeing Paige supplying that push leading us to a national championship game.
Agreed. Unfortunately, with Paige out for the season, we knew going in that the team could only reach a certain level of performance. It was frustrating, to say the least. Almost like the team had a “governor” installed on their offense. You knew it would have been different if Paige could have played.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agreed. Unfortunately, with Paige out for the season, we knew going in that the team could only reach a certain level of performance. It was frustrating, to say the least. Almost like the team had a “governor” installed on their offense. You knew it would have been different if Paige could have played.
I had commented at the time that had Paige been on the court, she would have shredded the tOSU press with ease, leading to one easy transition basket after another. It was not to be however. This year, with a healthy Paige (fingers crossed) I suspect things will be considerably different for the Huskies and their opponents.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I had commented at the time that had Paige been on the court, she would have shredded the tOSU press with ease, leading to one easy transition basket after another. It was not to be however. This year, with a healthy Paige (fingers crossed) I suspect things will be considerably different for the Huskies and their opponents.
OD, when Paige went down, that did it for me. I knew right then, it was not our year. It's not your year when your best player and face of the team goes down for the entire season. The fact that Ice also went down for the season didn't help. It only exacerbated the situation. :( Two players that would have had an effect on the games we lost weren't available.

1691770642331.png

It was LSU's year. Everything fell into place for Kim and LSU in March and April. She was very confident her team could meet the challenge and rigors of the tournament. She said she expected to see the Gamecocks again, and was confident the outcome would be different this time. A matchup that never occurred.

There were no major/season-ending injuries to any of their core players. At times last year, our team looked like a MASH Unit. Remember, we had to reschedule a game because we could not dress the minimum 7 players to begin the game. Amari was hurting with an injury the team did not reveal, and Lou was not 100% either.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am very happy for her and share everyone's concerns. She is an extraordinary player and an even better young woman. If you have never seen her play live, don't miss the opportunity this year. She is guaranteed to do something in even an ordinary game that will astonish you. We can only project how badly she wants to win this year. All we can do is support her and the team and sit back whether in Storrs, Hartford or someplace else, including our homes, and enjoy every moment of the quest.

Reaction Score
Just to reflect for a moment on what Paige means to the team:

It's not the perimeter shooting, though that is awesome. It's more the confidence that she can get a bucket -- typically a midrange jumper coming off a screen -- whenever the team needs one. Having a bucket-getter on your team means everyone feels less pressure. Everyone can take more chances on offense and defense. Against Texas and NC St last season, Azzi was that player. But after the injuries, she wasn't able to get back to that level before the season ended. Lou stepped into the role once Paige and Azzi were out, and she performed heroically against rough defenses pointed directly at her every night. She deserves a medal for her play last season. Caroline healthy can be another bucket-getter. This is also who Caitlin was for Iowa last season. It's tougher for a post player to do this kind of work for a team because they need the guards to open up the lane. But Aaliyah gave it her best shot, and on some nights it was Dorka.

There's a few games that come to mind in which Paige simply took over the scoring when the team really needed her. Rewatch those and you can really see what she means to the team. In her freshman year, the game against SC, when she took over pretty much all the scoring at the end of the 4th quarter and the overtime. There was nothing SC could do (and especially Beal) to stop her. Or the Baylor game that year, when she took over the 3rd and 4th quarters. Or the ND game her sophomore year, when the Irish were in flopping mode and Paige got pissed and simply took the game directly at them (at Miles and Mabry and Citron) and practically ran them off the court. And the Arkansas game. But especially the NC St game in the tournament. Paige (still hobbled) had played well in regulation, but in overtime she just took over again. And in the second OT period, she sank her opening 3 pointer, and it felt like the team could breathe easier. It was like she knew exactly what they needed. In those games, you see really clearly what Paige means to the team.

With Paige back, and Azzi, and Caroline, all bucket-getters to one degree or another, we will see a totally different team this season. Knowing that we can score as needed will open up the paint on offense for Aaliyah Ice Aubrey Ayanna and Amari. But it will also unleash the defense and the transition game. I expect the press to yield turnovers and layups. But also think about what that will mean for opposing teams on offense -- if they take a bad shot, or give up a long defensive rebound, Aubrey or Azzi or Paige will convert it into a fast break layup before they know what hit them. All the pressure they'll feel trying to run their half court sets will also ratchet up the full court pressure Nika Aubrey KK Ashlynn Qadence Azzi Caroline Paige & Co can put on them.

The tOSU press was effective because they ran it tirelessly, but also because they had three bucket-getters, Mikesell Sheldon and McMahon. It's one thing for your offense to be disrupted by an opposing team's press. But for it to turn into points at the other end almost instantaneously is really demoralizing. tOSU lost Mikesell for this season, but Sheldon and McMahon are still formidable, and adding Celeste Taylor will bring even more energy to their press. Geno's press will be better than tOSU's press was last year, not because we have more energy (though we should have plenty of that) but because we have so many bucket-getters.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Like "Cool Papa Bell"? Only the older folks here know who he was and his claim to fame. :rolleyes: You youngsters.......Google him.
Ha! I was sitting here trying to think of that guy's name.

Reaction Score
The Pittsburgh Steelers Franco Harris had his "Italian Army. Paige Bueckers has her Leigon of faithful/devoted "ride or die" followers too. We need a name for Paige's legion. Any suggestions? :rolleyes:
Buckets List!

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
This kind of minion?

View attachment 90588
min·ion
/ˈminyən/
noun
plural noun: minions
a follower or underling of a powerful person, especially a servile or unimportant one.
Some may look at it this way, there's a reason tht there's no name besides Uconn on their uniforms and considering tht the team is made up 4 and 5 stars no one wants to be someones minion, they're a TEAM. Almost like saying " nice car but where's the engine and tires" as always....imo

Reaction Score
No just no....have you looked up the meaning of Minions?
THE DEFINITION I GOT WAS ONE HIGHLY FAVORED, not one in servitude. The rest of my definition was "idol" and "highly praised. So I stay with my post.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Which is ur choice after all.. this is America, and if someone eats a bowl of frosted flakes and decides to use animated cartoons to describe young women then have at it....carry on
THE DEFINITION I GOT WAS ONE HIGHLY FAVORED, not one in servitude. The rest of my definition was "idol" and "highly praised. So I stay with my post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom