Paige Bueckers was asked if all UConn's injuries will impact her decision about whether to return next season | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers was asked if all UConn's injuries will impact her decision about whether to return next season

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Paige has the potential for two years of eligibility. Aaliyah, Nika, and Aubrey also still have their Covid years. How about getting the band back together? Through in a little Jana, Morgan and Allie it just might be a fun year

Reaction Score
I think for Paige, it is not about the money or being a WNBA star. She knows those things will come. The NIL money has come already. She is a very driven focused person and came to UCONN because she wanted an NCAA championship. If she doesn't get that this year, I think she will come back next year. Here is a quote from this year's BEast media day: "Everybody at UConn knows a national championship makes it successful," she said. "For me personally, it's having fun playing the game again, being healthy, and enjoying being on the court with my teammates."

Reaction Score
Can I create a thread "who starts in 2024-5" now?
Or is it too early? :D

Reaction Score
And hopefully throw in some Caroline and Ayanna. :)

I don't see Aaliyah, Nika, and Aubrey coming back next year. But a team headed up by a healthy Paige and Azzi, this year's freshmen with a year under their belt, Ayanna and Jana on the court, and a solid freshmen class with (maybe) one addition, that's not a bad team.

Reaction Score
A some point you need to move on and let the players behind you take the reins. What about the recruiting class coming in, and this years freshmen class?? In order for them to grow hey need to take over the leadership roles. UConn/Geno need to make sure they aren't creating a log jam at certain positions and scare off recruits.

Reaction Score
I don't see Aaliyah, Nika, and Aubrey coming back next year. But a team headed up by a healthy Paige and Azzi, this year's freshmen with a year under their belt, Ayanna and Jana on the court, and a solid freshmen class with (maybe) one addition, that's not a bad team.
No, that's a great team, top 5, for sure!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Bueckers wasn’t the only one to reference her future at UConn, either. Geno Auriemma referred to it while talking about her leadership ability.

“She’s probably one more college year away from really, really getting it,” he said, before giving a big smile

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Certainly great news on Paige, even if not set in stone. Agree with you on Nika and Aaliyah, but Aubrey? She will miss the entire WNBA season with her injury if it's an ACL. If the surgery is successful, she could be back to playing as early as November/December next year (ish. I have no idea on the severity and what not etc., or a possible timeline for her return).

My point is - I'm not sure a player who is currently out with an ACL, who was just coming back from back surgery with the coaches saying numerous times "we can only play Aubrey for 3-4 minute stretches" would even get drafted. She could try her luck overseas and then see about joining a WNBA team next April.

It's all speculation, but wouldn't it make sense for her to come back to UCONN, play as much as she can when she can, use her last year of eligibility, and at least show GM's in the W what she can do when healthy? I think she'd be drafter higher in the 2025 draft, if she even would be drafted by a team in 2024...

BTW on edit - i was just listening to Geno's pre-game presser with the Horde and he was asked about Aubrey. One thing he said is "Right after her injury she asked me if she had any eligibility left". And he told her "yeah - actually you have the covid year"...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aaliyah is going pro for sure. Nika could play in Europe and do well financially, but she's not likely to be drafted by an WNBA team. The last thing this team needs is more guards, but..... do you think she'd come back for her 5th year simply to improve her skills as an off-guard?

Reaction Score
Bueckers wasn’t the only one to reference her future at UConn, either. Geno Auriemma referred to it while talking about her leadership ability.

“She’s probably one more college year away from really, really getting it,” he said, before giving a big smile

Hope that UConn recruiting targets are paying attention :)

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Maybe it is NIL money, friendships, culture and the chance at a national championship. But as far as her game? There is nothing in her game that needs to improve to be effective in the WNBA. Paige is that rare player who misses a year due to injury and comes back a better player. She is stronger, a better defender, willing rebounder and for a twist loves to post up. All things that we didn't see much of during the freshman and sophomore version of Paige.

Reaction Score
If I were to infer from her comments, I would say that up to this point, Paige has been shortchanged in her college career. I believe she genuinely enjoys playing with her teammates and being coached by Geno. She's missed 1 1/2 seasons and I think she would like to secure her legacy in the pantheon of UConn greats with a NC. Not to mention, the grand experiment of playing with Azzi has never really materialized.

The NIL money makes it easier to forego entering the WNBA this year. She has options available to her and she's smart enough not to reveal her intentions before needed. I think she would be warmly welcomed in returning another season by the coaching staff and her teammates. Also, it would be celebrated by her legion of basketball & UConn fans too.

Reaction Score
Certainly great news on Paige, even if not set in stone. Agree with you on Nika and Aaliyah, but Aubrey? She will miss the entire WNBA season with her injury if it's an ACL. If the surgery is successful, she could be back to playing as early as November/December next year (ish. I have no idea on the severity and what not etc., or a possible timeline for her return).

My point is - I'm not sure a player who is currently out with an ACL, who was just coming back from back surgery with the coaches saying numerous times "we can only play Aubrey for 3-4 minute stretches" would even get drafted. She could try her luck overseas and then see about joining a WNBA team next April.

It's all speculation, but wouldn't it make sense for her to come back to UCONN, play as much as she can when she can, use her last year of eligibility, and at least show GM's in the W what she can do when healthy? I think she'd be drafter higher in the 2025 draft, if she even would be drafted by a team in 2024...

BTW on edit - i was just listening to Geno's pre-game presser with the Horde and he was asked about Aubrey. One thing he said is "Right after her injury she asked me if she had any eligibility left". And he told her "yeah - actually you have the covid year"...

Thanks for the information. I guess that would make next year's potential team even deeper and more athletic. What a shame about Aubrey. I thought she was playing so well this year. Made an impact every time she came on the floor.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah is going pro for sure. Nika could play in Europe and do well financially, but she's not likely to be drafted by an WNBA team. The last thing this team needs is more guards, but..... do you think she'd come back for her 5th year simply to improve her skills as an off-guard?
There may be geopolitical issues for Nika. Serbia vs Bosnia getting shaky.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As we know, Aubrey, Paige, Nika, Liya, and Azzi could all leave after this season. The first 4 will have been at UConn at least 4 seasons, and Azzi will turn 22 this year. However, all of them could come back for at least 1 more year. Paige could get a Covid year plus a medical redshirt year. Azzi could get a senior year plus a medical redshirt year.

Of those 5, I think some will stay. I see Liya as the most likely to turn pro. She seems ready. I think Nika is the second most likely, though she may want another year with her Slime if Paige comes back. I see Paige coming back for at least 1 year--to play with Azzi. And I see Azzi coming back to earn her degree. With Aubrey being injured, I think the chances that she returns have increased considerably.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom