Paige Bueckers was asked if all UConn's injuries will impact her decision about whether to return next season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers was asked if all UConn's injuries will impact her decision about whether to return next season

Reaction Score
If I were to infer from her comments, I would say that up to this point, Paige has been shortchanged in her college career. I believe she genuinely enjoys playing with her teammates and being coached by Geno. She's missed 1 1/2 seasons and I think she would like to secure her legacy in the pantheon of UConn greats with a NC. Not to mention, the grand experiment of playing with Azzi has never really materialized.

The NIL money makes it easier to forego entering the WNBA this year. She has options available to her and she's smart enough not to reveal her intentions before needed. I think she would be warmly welcomed in returning another season by the coaching staff and her teammates. Also, it would be celebrated by her legion of basketball & UConn fans too.
This. I've kinda felt she really wants to come back. Even small things like being announced as a junior at games seems to indicate that. Obviously just want what's best for her and it's seemingly two great options. Even if she comes back she still wouldn't have played 4 full years considering her sophomore year and the COVID season. Obviously she can't come back and play once she leaves so it's an interesting, hard decision. I always thought she should leave regardless. She's probably a sure fire top 3 pick, she has a chance to live out her dream. She has an injury history, and she's 22 now. Similar to Caitlin as well I don't know how much better she can get at this level. Like I think she has room for growth but may not be reached until she's pushed against pros every day.

Reaction Score
As we know, Aubrey, Paige, Nika, Liya, and Azzi could all leave after this season. The first 4 will have been at UConn at least 4 seasons, and Azzi will turn 22 this year. However, all of them could come back for at least 1 more year. Paige could get a Covid year plus a medical redshirt year. Azzi could get a senior year plus a medical redshirt year.

Of those 5, I think some will stay. I see Liya as the most likely to turn pro. She seems ready. I think Nika is the second most likely, though she may want another year with her Slime if Paige comes back. I see Paige coming back for at least 1 year--to play with Azzi. And I see Azzi coming back to earn her degree. With Aubrey being injured, I think the chances that she returns have increased considerably.

Does Azzi get a redshirt year? I don’t know exactly how that works. Which is why I’m asking.

The question is, are there enough scholarships for 2 to return, the 2 coming in next year and hopefully strong??

Reaction Score
This. I've kinda felt she really wants to come back. Even small things like being announced as a junior at games seems to indicate that. Obviously just want what's best for her and it's seemingly two great options. Even if she comes back she still wouldn't have played 4 full years considering her sophomore year and the COVID season. Obviously she can't come back and play once she leaves so it's an interesting, hard decision. I always thought she should leave regardless. She's probably a sure fire top 3 pick, she has a chance to live out her dream. She has an injury history, and she's 22 now. Similar to Caitlin as well I don't know how much better she can get at this level. Like I think she has room for growth but may not be reached until she's pushed against pros every day.

She didn’t play at UConn the covid season. She came in the following year

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Does Azzi get a redshirt year? I don’t know exactly how that works. Which is why I’m asking.

The question is, are there enough scholarships for 2 to return, the 2 coming in next year and hopefully strong??
Yes.
Check this thread out:

Reaction Score
I really hope she and Aaliyah return for their Covid year. The team will have young posts next year and we don’t know how Jana will adjust to the college game. Unless something clicks for Ice soon

Reaction Score
Playing Basketball with her friends is her top priority.

Fans: Going to miss Paige playing for UConn next season.
Paige: Don't worry. Be happy.

Paige might also want one more season to learn from Master Geno for her future head coaching career.

Reaction Score
She was here during the covid season. It was her freshman season.

She played a full season. Even made it to the final 4. I’m not sure why you are then lumping her sophomore year and “covid” season together.

Reaction Score
Certainly great news on Paige, even if not set in stone. Agree with you on Nika and Aaliyah, but Aubrey? She will miss the entire WNBA season with her injury if it's an ACL. If the surgery is successful, she could be back to playing as early as November/December next year (ish. I have no idea on the severity and what not etc., or a possible timeline for her return).

My point is - I'm not sure a player who is currently out with an ACL, who was just coming back from back surgery with the coaches saying numerous times "we can only play Aubrey for 3-4 minute stretches" would even get drafted. She could try her luck overseas and then see about joining a WNBA team next April.

It's all speculation, but wouldn't it make sense for her to come back to UCONN, play as much as she can when she can, use her last year of eligibility, and at least show GM's in the W what she can do when healthy? I think she'd be drafter higher in the 2025 draft, if she even would be drafted by a team in 2024...

BTW on edit - i was just listening to Geno's pre-game presser with the Horde and he was asked about Aubrey. One thing he said is "Right after her injury she asked me if she had any eligibility left". And he told her "yeah - actually you have the covid year"...
EricLA- - - Over 10 years ago Tamika Catchings had an ACL tear near the end of her senior season at TN and Indiana took her 3rd anyway in the April draft knowing she couldn't play that season! If Aubrey declares for the WNBA I'd bet the ranch some team would take a chance and draft her!
But I think Aubrey will come back because she doesn't want to end her UConn career this way!

Reaction Score
EricLA- - - Over 10 years ago Tamika Catchings had an ACL tear near the end of her senior season at TN and Indiana took her 3rd anyway in the April draft knowing she couldn't play that season! If Aubrey declares for the WNBA I'd bet the ranch some team would take a chance and draft her!
But I think Aubrey will come back because she doesn't want to end her UConn career this way!
With all due respect, Catchings was a generational talent and a NPOY candidate. Aubrey is a good player but nowhere near the level of Catch.

I suspect Paige comes back even though at worst she would go 3 in the draft.

Reaction Score

Ain’t no way a team would take that chance. This years draft class is going to be a great one. I love Aubrey but why use a pick for a player that won’t play

Reaction Score
Ain’t no way a team would take that chance. This years draft class is going to be a great one. I love Aubrey but why use a pick for a player that won’t play

144 roster spots in WNBA. 3 rounds in WNBA draft. 36 players drafted. Half players drafted do not make opening day roster.

Reaction Score
She didn’t play at UConn the covid season. She came in the following year
She played a full season. Even made it to the final 4. I’m not sure why you are then lumping her sophomore year and “covid” season together.
Yeah, more so that she didn't get the full college basketball experience during that first year and they didn't play some big games because of COVID. I remember being excited that they were going to play Baylor on the road but it ended up getting cancelled. I also think they were supposed to matchup with Hailey Van Lith and Louisville that season and it got cancelled as well.

Reaction Score
You mean like Dallas did with Lou, taking her 5th and putting her on the shelf? Or taking the injured center 4th knowing she could not play? Stashing players happens all the time in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
You mean like Dallas did with Lou, taking her 5th and putting her on the shelf? Or taking the injured center 4th knowing she could not play? Stashing players happens all the time in the WNBA.

Different drafts. And Dallas didn’t know Lou would need surgery. Or that she’d be out for the season.

Reaction Score

She could apply for a medical hardship waiver to get this season back since she played so few games.

Reaction Score
A some point you need to move on and let the players behind you take the reins. What about the recruiting class coming in, and this years freshmen class?? In order for them to grow hey need to take over the leadership roles. UConn/Geno need to make sure they aren't creating a log jam at certain positions and scare off recruits.
Paige hasn't had a full college career. I bet if you asked Ash, Azzi, Caroline, Ayanna, KK, Q and Ice if they want to take over the reigns or have the best all around player in the country come back, keep the reigns, and teach them they would leap at the opportunity.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t long ago that players always used their full eligibility. The first time I recall a Uconn player pass on a redshirt year was Morgan Tuck. But her case was quite unique, the program won 4 championships during her time on campus!

The fact that Paige would be using her redshirt year, as opposed to the option of a COVID 5th season makes me believe she’s more likely to come back. Just a few years ago it wouldn’t have even been a question. Gives her another shot at a NC, to play with many of her injured teammates, and gives her a more traditional college career. It speaks volumes to her talent that she’s basically played 2 seasons worth of games, and is expected to be a major player once she goes pro.

Reaction Score
A some point you need to move on and let the players behind you take the reins. What about the recruiting class coming in, and this years freshmen class?? In order for them to grow hey need to take over the leadership roles. UConn/Geno need to make sure they aren't creating a log jam at certain positions and scare off recruits.
If arguably the best player in the country says she want to come back for another year and the coach says no,that coach should be fired that same day.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aubrey may come back. If she were to enter the draft, she is clearly worth a second or third round pick, in my opinion. Players picked after the first round generally do not make a team. If I were a GM, I'd take her.

Reaction Score
Obviously wish for the speediest revovery
For all the injured players
It seems that it takes a full year to be cleared
For full contact( Paige ..olivia miles at ND) following ACL surgery
Both Azzi and Aubrey had previous ACL surgery
And don’t know how that affects their recovery
It would seem very optimistic to think either player
Would be ready for the start of next season
Im sure all concerned will take the long view and focus on complete recovery and not focus on
Next season’s return

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom