Paige Bueckers AP National Player of the Year | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers AP National Player of the Year

Reaction Score
Well, for starters, this from 02/25 of this year: “I just want to be completely comfortable and get back 100 percent of my confidence and just feeling good again,” Fudd said. “It’ll go up and down with how it feels in games. It’s not something I ever think about like, ‘Am I going to injure it again?’ Before, if I was missing shots or a game wasn’t going my way, I could brush it off easily. Now I tend to get in my head a little bit more, so I want to get rid of that habit.” [source]

You also wrote your angry post as though I insulted Fudd’s skill and talent when I merely stated she’s had a serious injury before and won’t likely have the ball in her hands as often as Bueckers does at PG. Not once did I say or suggest that Fudd won’t be an exceptional player for the Huskies. You need to take a breath and watch your approach. Several of your fellow UConn fans regularly criticize active players but jump to conclusions the minute someone suggests an incoming player might not be the next NPOY.
You have made your very defensive post accusing me of things that, if I felt that way, I clearly would have said. I have never been short for words, so I do not have to imply or rely on innuendos to prove a point. What I said went straight to your statement that would be "coming off" an ACL injury. Your reference to a quote from her, which clearly talked more about her confidence than anything else, did little to address that is well past the point of "coming off" her ACL injury. Perhaps subconsciously you have a thing against that you're projecting on me. Anyway, let's make peace, not war and love our Huskies!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This made me think of something. What becomes of these media based awards if the NIL thing goes through and a media outlet could pay an athlete for maybe regular content provided? Possible conflict of interest?
So I have a question about this NIL thing - are Universities and HS and Pro teams going to start charging a fee on their logo, their uniform, their facilities that appear in any of these NIL properties? I mean fair is fair - lots of these kids got nothing till they start lighting it up in colleges. And the ones lighting it up in HS well the HS should be getting something, right?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Need a bigger mountain :)
Funny thing is, nobody but the sculptor ever selected those rushmore likenesses - most historians would switch out one or more. Sort of like if joe schmo did an actual mountain in CT and selected DT, Maya, Lobo, and then Faris, or Tuck, or Sales - important players, but not on everyone else's list of the greatest.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't know the rules regarding timing of banner hanging in the practice facility. But let's not forget, given that this is an NPOY thread, that earning such an honor gets you an additional banner there (eventually), above the AA banners. Even on video, it's a pretty impressive sight.

Reaction Score
So proud of Paige for being the recipient of the AP NPOY award. I hope she will give me a early birthday present with a 12th UCONN national title. If I can get that and no other presents I'll be solely content. Looking very forward to see her progression over the next three seasons.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The WBCA is voted on by coaches. The process tends to be a bit more systematic and analytical.

On the other hand, the AP voters are sports journalists, who I would suggest are influenced significantly by the momentum of a media narrative that builds behind a particular candidate.

While all the other candidates are great players, the momentum behind Paige started during the SC game and continued to build unabated ever since.
But the AP writers are also mostly regional from around the country which tends to create a bit of Big12 or Pac12 or SEC or Big10 localized momentum or at least conversation. To have no one out there beating the drum for a senior (or junior) star, or even as has been noted here a sophomore from SC is a little odd. And I think the coaches are also subject to momentum votes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But the AP writers are also mostly regional from around the country which tends to create a bit of Big12 or Pac12 or SEC or Big10 localized momentum or at least conversation. To have no one out there beating the drum for a senior (or junior) star, or even as has been noted here a sophomore from SC is a little odd. And I think the coaches are also subject to momentum votes.
Yes the 30 writers who make up the AP poll and vote on AA and POY are spread around the country. I don’t know if it necessarily creates an advantage for one conference or another.

As I understand the coaches, it is a multistep process that includes initial nominations, which is then paired down to finalists and then a final vote. I also believe that somewhere in there, the vote is by a committee. That committee used to be headed up by Geno’s golfing buddy at USF. I’m not sure if that’s still the case.

Reaction Score
So I have a question about this NIL thing - are Universities and HS and Pro teams going to start charging a fee on their logo, their uniform, their facilities that appear in any of these NIL properties? I mean fair is fair - lots of these kids got nothing till they start lighting it up in colleges. And the ones lighting it up in HS well the HS should be getting something, right?
Yeah, I've got all these possibilities swirling around in my little mind too. I don't understand a lot of it so far but I liked GA's comment about the very top players being like free agents coming out of HS with agents negotiating for them and a bunch of them winding up at a small group of schools that might have the ability to help them maximize their earnings. I'll just have to try to figure it out once all the boundaries are set.

Reaction Score
Funny thing is, nobody but the sculptor ever selected those rushmore likenesses - most historians would switch out one or more. Sort of like if joe schmo did an actual mountain in CT and selected DT, Maya, Lobo, and then Faris, or Tuck, or Sales - important players, but not on everyone else's list of the greatest.
Well I guess being the sculptor has it’s privileges

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
She got on the wall when named to the AP 1st team. She is now the owner of the greatest Freshman season ever and is looking pretty good to be the 4th person on the Mt. Rushmore of UConn WCBB joining Taurasi, Stewart and Moore.
One key element still needed IMO for "greatest freshman season ever."

Reaction Score
Insane that ESPN doesn't even have this as their main front page story on the NCAAW section. The same thing happened when THEY THEMSELVES named her the ESPNW NPOY.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.40.42 PM.png

Reaction Score
Insane that ESPN doesn't even have this as their main front page story on the NCAAW section. The same thing happened when THEY THEMSELVES named her the ESPNW NPOY.
ESPN Hoopz has not updated Ayanna Patterson goes to UConn too.

Screenshot (17).png

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

View attachment 66510

ESPN Hoopz has not updated Ayanna Patterson goes to UConn too.

View attachment 66512
You have to remember that ESPN (Disney) laid off about 1/3 of their staff last year so they are a little behind in getting stuff posted. Especially anything good about those traitors in Storrs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom