Paige as NPOY | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paige as NPOY

Reaction Score
Cooke was not on that U19 squad the other PGs were Caitlin Clark and Hailey VanLith.
Cooke and Boston last played with Azzi and Paige at U16 in summer of 2017.
FYI :also with Cooke and Boston U17 world cup in Spain 2018

Reaction Score
I agree. Yet I was one that once said Babe's 714 and Roger Maris' 61 were untouchable. I just say almost impossible now.
Well, the 714 was legitimately surpassed but the 61 was only broken with the help of steroids! The truly unbreakable records are Cy Young’s 511 victories and 749 complete games, Edwin Moses’ 122 consecutive races, several of Gretzky’s records, DiMaggio’s hitting streak, Wilt Chamberlain’s 50.4 scoring avg, and Bill Russel’s 11 championships. Cal Ripken’s 2632 consecutive games is probably one as well. Many of these while likely unbreakable anyway, have been rendered even more unlikely due to changes in the respective sport (relief pitchers, designated hitters etc). Ps I failed to mention one that may be right there with Cy Young’s records; UConn’s ongoing record of over 1000 games without losing 2 in a row!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess it depends on what the award is for............is it strictly for the most valuable player for their team or are they looking for the most talented player in the country..........I'm sure an argument could be made that a player we're not even thinking of averaging 14 ppg and 7 rebounds might be far more important than players with far more gaudy numbers.........Hillman's an interesting case.............she hasn't attempted a three point shot yet this season, contributes less than two assists a game yet averages 26/12 per game.........PB is averaging 20 points, almost 6 assists and 5 rebounds per game.........whose the more impactful player?
That raises an interesting question, if a post player averaged 30 pts,13 rbs, 2 assists, and 4 blks and never left the paint, and a guard averaged say, 24 pts, 7 rbs, 6 assists, and 3 stls while shooting 50+% from 2 and 3, which player would be considered the best?

Reaction Score
Not that I have every article or thread on my radar but in the last month, I don't recall seeing nary a word against her, especially on some competing sites. If anything, ESPN, Yahoo Sports and SportsIllustrated social media has been upping it's Paige coverage and pictures and blurbs. What are you alluding to lately as negative?
I meant fans of the college game in general, I have seen a lot on social media of people putting her down for no reason and suggesting that she gets more attention then the others because shes at UConn. I didnt mean actual news outlets or channels like ESPN etc sorry for not explaining correctly.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm a Louisville fan, I love Dana Evans. She is playing great this season. She is carrying this team on her shoulders.

If I had an NPOY vote it would go to Bueckers. It's not just the stats, it's the "eye test."
and Dana Evans to me is the closest with the same eye test and her clutch gene.

Reaction Score
I doubt anyone will lose 315 games either which he did..
Yeah, that was a whole different era in baseball. Guys got 40 or so starts every season and relief pitching was in the horse-and-buggy era. No pitch counts either.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Typical Antonelli .
Watching the Louisville vs ND game. Debbie Antonelli calls out Evans and Boston for NPOY - no mention of Paige. Typical ESPN.
Had to turn that hot mess off and watch IN vs Iowa. Clark having one great game so far. May go for 40.

Reaction Score
That raises an interesting question, if a post player averaged 30 pts,13 rbs, 2 assists, and 4 blks and never left the paint, and a guard averaged say, 24 pts, 7 rbs, 6 assists, and 3 stls while shooting 50+% from 2 and 3, which player would be considered the best?

Wins are a factor. Teammates are a factor. SOS is a factor.

Reaction Score
Now that we have a decent sample size of the season and looking at the other teams around the country, I think its fair to say Paige has played herself into NPOY discussion.

With the impressive stat line, level of exuberance and panache in her game, plus social media and press coverage, she may have a real legit shot at it. The SC game is her last marquee shot; she plays well and UConn wins, I think its hers to lose.
If UConn wins the national championship, you gotta give it to her.... I think the freshman and Lieberman are hers to lose.

Reaction Score
Cooke was not on that U19 squad the other PGs were Caitlin Clark and Hailey VanLith.
Cooke and Boston last played with Azzi and Paige at U16 in summer of 2017.
Thanks for that.

Cooke played with Bueckers in the U17's (not U16) in 201718 and with Boston then and the next summer at the U19's.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for that.

Cooke played with Bueckers in the U17's (not U16) in 2017 and with Boston then and the next summer at the U19's.
Not exactly.
Cooke Played U16 in 2017 with Paige & Boston in Argentina.

Cooke also played U17 with Paige & Boston in 2018 in Belarus
Cooke WAS NOT a member of the U19 team in 2019 in Thailand. There was no U19 in 2018. Jeff Coached U19 and Paige was the MVP.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm always biased towards upper classmen, so I would lean towards Evans.
I'm biased towards upper class men also but I don't like Louisville. My vote would go to Naz Hillman.

Reaction Score
I agree. Yet I was one that once said Babe's 714 and Roger Maris' 61 were untouchable. I just say almost impossible now.
Then came the steroids.

Reaction Score
NCAA and Conference tournament games do not count in the voting for POY awards, they have separate awards for those. This is strictly a regular season award in which Paige essentially has 1 game left on a National stage to shine.
In a chopped season like this the failure of such national awards to limit it to seasonal play is a major short coming. I'm more focused on post season team results. It's too early to crown the king!

Reaction Score
And by the way, isn't UCONN at, or near, the top for the net rankings? Doesn't that take SOS into consideration? The whole "but UCONN hasn't played anyone good" just doesn't hold up... I guess it boils down to which do you reward more - a player with monster numbers on an average team, or a player with average numbers on a top team? IMHO players with average numbers on a great team are helping them win NC's and conference championships. THAT'S the reward for that. For me, AA's should be based on the PLAYERS putting up monster numbers. Just my $.02...
NET rankings don't disclose what SoS they are considering. Moving to Massey's similar rankings, UConn's SoS is 68 and, going forward, 69. By contrast, SCar is presently 13 and 9 projected forward.

68/69 is not a bad SoS but the loss of some quality OOC games this year has hurt it.

Nevertheless, a team leader with good numbers on a championship contender (say Boston) should be favored over a player on an average team (R. Howard) who puts up monster numbers.

Reaction Score
Now that we have a decent sample size of the season and looking at the other teams around the country, I think its fair to say Paige has played herself into NPOY discussion.

With the impressive stat line, level of exuberance and panache in her game, plus social media and press coverage, she may have a real legit shot at it. The SC game is her last marquee shot; she plays well and UConn wins, I think its hers to lose.
Soooooooooo about my post with Paige being NPOY... :) :) :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom