Paige as NPOY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige as NPOY

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That's not a negative in my mind. That conference has not produced a defense or defender that is capable of stopping her with that 8 feet that's a knock on the conference not on her.
Hebard hardly scored outside of 5 feet from the basket her entire career at Oregon, yet not many teams had any luck stopping her from doing that. If it works, keep doing it until somebody stops you, right?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She’s averaging 20 ppg, something that has only happened by a uconn player 8 times, ever. And her efficiency numbers in getting those 20 points are crazy. If she maintains that, combined with her good A/TO ratio, rebounding, steals, and total assists, she’s a lock in my book for at least AA honors. A win and big game for her tomorrow against SC is what she needs to solidify it. For now, the biggest argument against her could be the competition the team has faced.

I expect that next season, she will be the player getting the preseason hype for NPOY and it will be her award to lose.
Not picking on your post but this thread has somewhat gotten off track to the point where some are putting forward and defending AA credentials for Paige. I don't view those as necessary at this point-Paige will be named an AA this season. What is being debated and I thought the intent of the thread is will she win either the AP National POY or the Naismith-this season. IMO it is possible but not likely.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
...and that's still not acknowledging the fact that Clarke, though not shooting the percentage as Paige, is still putting up terrific assists numbers with a "losing" team. Though I would shy away from saying "ever". Every time I've said "ever" in sport somehow it's has become.
Okay, fair enough. I followed Plum's Senior year very closely, her consistency was remarkable. She wasn't held under 21 all season, scored 30+ 17 times and 40+ 5 times. As amazing as that year was, it's awfully hard for me to imagine playing an entire season like that plus raising her scoring average almost 9 ppg.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Okay, fair enough. I followed Plum's Senior year very closely, her consistency was remarkable. She wasn't held under 21 all season, scored 30+ 17 times and 40+ 5 times. As amazing as that year was, it's awfully hard for me to imagine playing an entire season like that plus raising her scoring average almost 9 ppg.
I agree. Yet I was one that once said Babe's 714 and Roger Maris' 61 were untouchable. I just say almost impossible now.

Reaction Score
people love to hate on UConn and I have seen a lot criticizing Paige saying shes not as good as they make out etc she is every bit as good as advertised, if not better, and it isnt her fault that she is at Uconn. Yes Caitlin Clark is scoring a lot but she plays on a losing team. If Paige played on a team where she could take as many shots as she wanted she would get 40+ every game. The fact she is doing what she is doing on a team full of talent in a system like this, just makes it even better.
Caitlin played on the USA team with Paige at the women's 2019 FIBA u19 World Cup in Thailand. The USA survived a 16 team playoff and Paige was awarded the MVP trophy.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
For all the Clark/Bueckers comparisons, has any one actually tried to claim that Clark is better than Bueckers or use stats to validate that? I see people all the time on here defending Paige or argue why she is better despite having less points and assists, but I've never seen someone make a suggestion that Clark is the better player and try to back it up with stats.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Paige is running the offense and the defense. She's the best player in the country and she hasn't even hit her stride. I'm not going to worry about the politics of POY because I don't think Paige does. She just plays ball.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I agree. Yet I was one that once said Babe's 714 and Roger Maris' 61 were untouchable. I just say almost impossible now.
How about Cal Ripken Jr.'s iron man record? I'm feeling pretty safe saying nobody is gonna touch that one. Not in this current era of resting players frequently.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
How about Cal Ripken Jr.'s iron man record? I'm feeling pretty safe saying nobody is gonna touch that one. Not in this current era of resting players frequently.
Yep. As I said, along with DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak, nigh on impossible. But I won't ever say never.

Reaction Score
That's not a negative in my mind. That conference has not produced a defense or defender that is capable of stopping her within that 8 feet that's a knock on the conference not on her.

I guess it depends on what the award is for............is it strictly for the most valuable player for their team or are they looking for the most talented player in the country..........I'm sure an argument could be made that a player we're not even thinking of averaging 14 ppg and 7 rebounds might be far more important than players with far more gaudy numbers.........Hillman's an interesting case.............she hasn't attempted a three point shot yet this season, contributes less than two assists a game yet averages 26/12 per game.........PB is averaging 20 points, almost 6 assists and 5 rebounds per game.........whose the more impactful player?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I guess it depends on what the award is for............is it strictly for the most valuable player for their team or are they looking for the most talented player in the country..........I'm sure an argument could be made that a player we're not even thinking of averaging 14 ppg and 7 rebounds might be far more important than players with far more gaudy numbers.........Hillman's an interesting case.............she hasn't attempted a three point shot yet this season, contributes less than two assists a game yet averages 26/12 per game.........PB is averaging 20 points, almost 6 assists and 5 rebounds per game.........whose the more impactful player?
It's almost impossible to compare guards/wings to posts. Obviously Bueckers is going to have the ball in her hands more and have different kinds of responsibilities directing an offense than Hillmon does.

You really can't even compare them on defense, because guarding on the perimeter is so different than guarding in the paint.

Reaction Score
Paige is running the offense and the defense. She's the best player in the country and she hasn't even hit her stride. I'm not going to worry about the politics of POY because I don't think Paige does. She just plays ball.
AGREE totally, like myself I don't think that stuff is on her mind at all. Now if pressed with the question my guess is she would like to hold up an NC trophy along with one for final four MVP. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not so sure how we got so off track. This McLain award is a WBCA award is voted on on coaches for the best player at the PF position. Paige is not competing against Hillman for the McLain award. Piage is competing in the category of best PG Liberman Piage is also NOT competing against Hillman for the Wade Trophy which is the WBCA version of the national POY because freshman are not eligible for the Wade. Paige is competing against Hillman for AP National Player and the Naismith POY. If you want to argue who is more impactful that's a slightly different discussion but before you or some others jump to the conclusion that it is Paige keep in mind that Michigan is 10-1 Ranked #12 in the Coaches poll and playing in a P5 conference. As much as I hate to say it 26 and 12 in Big 10 is more impressive than what Paige is doing in the BE. BTW Megan Gustafson won the AP POY over Sabrina for the 18'-19 her numbers were 27PPG and 13 RPG.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A freshman has never won the award. There have been 4 sophomores to win: Cheryl Miller, Clarissa Davis, Maya Moore and Breanna Stewart. Doesn't mean Paige shouldn't win, but it will be difficult.
Which award?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
people love to hate on UConn and I have seen a lot criticizing Paige saying shes not as good as they make out etc she is every bit as good as advertised, if not better, and it isnt her fault that she is at Uconn. Yes Caitlin Clark is scoring a lot but she plays on a losing team. If Paige played on a team where she could take as many shots as she wanted she would get 40+ every game. The fact she is doing what she is doing on a team full of talent in a system like this, just makes it even better.
Not that I have every article or thread on my radar but in the last month, I don't recall seeing nary a word against her, especially on some competing sites. If anything, ESPN, Yahoo Sports and SportsIllustrated social media has been upping it's Paige coverage and pictures and blurbs. What are you alluding to lately as negative?

Reaction Score
Paige's goal should be the NCAA Championship game MVP, as I believe that her chances for the Naismith or AP award are not good, as they are announced on April 3rd (before the National Championship Game and voted on well before).
And I'm sure that Bueckers has a title a few levels above any award on her list of goals. She did win MVP of the USAU19 championships where Cooke and Boston were her team mates but it was the gold medal that she valued.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Which award?

Not sure which specific award they were referring to, but Parker won several POY awards as a sophomore and Holdsclaw took home the Honda award after her sophomore year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure which specific award they were referring to, but Parker won several POY awards as a sophomore and Holdsclaw took home the Honda award after her sophomore year.
That's exactly why I'm asking. I also completely forgot about the Honda which would be the 4th major POY award. Wade, AP, Naismith, Honda. A freshman has never won any of these four major awards. All of these awards tend to favor upper classman.

Per wikipedia:
Sophomores to win the Wade: Maya Moore
Sophomores to win the AP: Maya Moore & Breanna Stewart
Sophomores to win Naismith:Cheryl Miller, Clarissa Davis,Maya Moore & Breanna Stewart
Sophomores to win Honda: Cheryl Miller, Chamique Holdsclaw, & Breanna Stewart.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And I'm sure that Bueckers has a title a few levels above any award on her list of goals. She did win MVP of the USAU19 championships where Cooke and Boston were her team mates but it was the gold medal that she valued.
Cooke was not on that U19 squad the other PGs were Caitlin Clark and Hailey VanLith.
Cooke and Boston last played with Azzi and Paige at U16 in summer of 2017.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
That's exactly why I'm asking. I also completely forgot about the Honda which would be the 4th major POY award. Wade, AP, Naismith, Honda. A freshman has never won any of these four major awards. All of these awards tend to favor upper classman.

Per wikipedia:
Sophomores to win the Wade: Maya Moore
Sophomores to win the AP: Maya Moore & Breanna Stewart
Sophomores to win Naismith:Cheryl Miller, Clarissa Davis,Maya Moore & Breanna Stewart
Sophomores to win Honda: Cheryl Miller, Chamique Holdsclaw, & Breanna Stewart.
Paris also won AP POY as a sophomore in 2007.

And Parker won Honda, Wooden, Wade and USBWA as a sophomore in 2007.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Don't think I'm taking any risk in claiming that Cy Young's record of 749 complete games will never be broken...but I take your point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom