Paige and Azzi | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paige and Azzi

Reaction Score
KK brings an additional gear that in Space Balls would call "ridiculous speed" to the fast break, which will be released through tough defense at the point...
I like the Space Balls "ridiculous speed". Made me chuckle. So, you get a "like".

Reaction Score
I like the Space Balls "ridiculous speed". Made me chuckle. So, you get a "like".
The "Space Balls" equation in Calculus-based Physics still works for some of my students, as the simplification of conservation of angular momentum for planets around a star... R1V1 = R2V2 [RV's in space (Winnebagoes, got to be Space Balls...]

Reaction Score
KK brings an additional gear that in Space Balls would call "ridiculous speed" to the fast break, which will be released through tough defense at the point...
Passing a ball is much faster than running. IMO KK getting minutes in big games all comes down to if Ducharme (and ofc Azzi or Paige) is hurt or not.

In big games KK is behind too many players - Paige, Azzi, Nika, Caroline and Aubrey. And with Paige and Nika passing, there is no reason to rather want a dribbler. Paige and Nika can dribbel fast enough.

Nika and Aubrey's defense is better thna KK's. And Paige, Azzi and Carolein'es offense is better thna KK's. KK is gonna lay though and be needed if for example Caroline is suspect which appears she may very well be.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Passing a ball is much faster than running. IMO KK getting minutes in big games all comes down to if Ducharme (and ofc Azzi or Paige) is hurt or not.

In big games KK is behind too many players - Paige, Azzi, Nika, Caroline and Aubrey. And with Paige and Nika passing, there is no reason to rather want a dribbler. Paige and Nika can dribbel fast enough.

Nika and Aubrey's defense is better thna KK's. And Paige, Azzi and Carolein'es offense is better thna KK's. KK is gonna lay though and be needed if for example Caroline is suspect which appears she may very well be.
One caveat to this. Bueckers defensive efficiency was high her freshman year. She led the team in steals and was actually the only player Park Lane did not blow by in the first match up (she blew by Griffin, Muhl and everyone else who tried to guard her). Um, the consequence of not blowing by was Bueckers picking up 3 of her 4 fouls attempting to block Park Lane’s shots, so we are not talking Faris or Jefferson capabilities … yet.

You see how often I defend Muhl here, but if I am being honest had Bueckers never got injured she probably would be regarded as our best defender right now. She is a Michael Jordan type of player, or was. In any case, I suspect her defense will be better than Arnolds as well.

Reaction Score
One caveat to this. Bueckers defensive efficiency was high her freshman year. She led the team in steals and was actually the only player Park Lane did not blow by in the first match up (she blew by Griffin, Muhl and everyone else who tried to guard her). Um, the consequence of not blowing by was Bueckers picking up 3 of her 4 fouls attempting to block Park Lane’s shots, so we are not talking Faris or Jefferson capabilities … yet.

You see how often I defend Muhl here, but if I am being honest had Bueckers never got injured she probably would be regarded as our best defender right now. She is a Michael Jordan type of player, or was. In any case, I suspect her defense will be better than Arnolds as well.
I believe Paige can be - but the issue with Paige is that UCONN has to deal with potentially atrocious refs. For example, UCONn is up by 10-12 points 8 minutes left in 4ht quarter, the best ND guard drives the lane and gts lightly bumped by Paige, the ND player reacts as if hit in the gut with a jackhammer and sprawls to the floor, then PB picks up #3. Then the next 3-4 minutes she is concerned with picking up foul #4 regardless who she is defending. SO, in this case have Nika defend.

In regard to ND, felt the same way with Park Lane. IMO she was so small that whenever she got bumped, she got the benefit of the calls. In big games, I tend to think players like her won't get the benefit but going against a team such as UCONN when they are an overwhelming favorite, I think in some games the refs tend to give the underdog a break. Not consciously but just as part of the flow of a game not expected to be physical.

And imo I tend to believe Azzi will be a better defender (frosh vs jr) this year too.

Reaction Score
Imo there needs to be an understanding how great Azzi was when she was healthy and very underrated as a freshman. IMO the main problem is that some love one-on-one basketball, and believe college ball is the same as pro ball. It isn't. In pro ball Creighton would never have gone to an E8. / similar to being among near one of the best pro teams.

First off Azzi shot 43% from 3 as a frosh I believe. 43% is terrific. Second, UCONN loses to UCF in her frosh year without her. .

And just as we had an understanding with Paige and her injury took time - there has to be an understanding that Azzi was amazing early. She was nowhere near what she was early. So instead of blindly just being a fan of one-on-one pro ball, I ask some fans to take stock in understanding that this past year early she torched Texas and Duke (coaches known for their Defense). Then matched, if not outplayed, Clark. This was a top four team. And she matched or outplayed a super super player. She did this while missing one season High School. While shed comes back she barely played during COVID. Then she was hurt quite a bit her frosh year. So she is 1 year younger than Calrk and has missed about 2 years+ playing time of hoop vs Clark the past 3 years and yet she matched a prime Clark.

So, despite all this she basically smoked three teams. Two strong Defensive Teams, and matching Clark says it all what she will probably be if healthy. Yes she needs to improve in all facets. But let's not over-exaggerate the negative When healthy she has shown to be an elite shooter/scorer and has scored efficiently in some big games/tough competition. So, if healthy, why such negativity? Especially since she’ll be playing with a super player like Paige and an A/a caliber player like Edwards?

And another thing is – Azzi makes Paige “better” too. As well as Paige making Azzi better.
I thought about this post, as I was just randomly watching the 2nd round game vs Baylor last year. I'm not sure they win that game without Azzi either. It was a lot closer than I remembered, even tied up 46-46 midway through the 3rd quarter. But Azzi scored 16 points in that quarter. Her and Dorka were huge that game, but Baylor was really playing well up until the midway point of the third, Azzi's spurt really blew the game open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom