Paige and Azzi | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige and Azzi

Reaction Score
I didn't care for the crack about making 1/3 of her shots. But, Paige and Azzi are different. It might be Paige has a little bit of Taurasi in her. One thing I did notice, both were rather loosely guarded :) in the above video, and that is very different than a game situation.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but they don't and can't do this in a game. Paige is more consistent and fearless than Azzi. I'd like to see Azzi
make 1/3 d of her open shots. Also, I'd like to see Azzi make a move and take some defender to the hole. Paige, IMO is in a whole other category. She is willing to confront a defender, make a move and make a shot. She deserves national POY. Just my opinion. Azzi, not so much.
Azzi hasn't had a healthy season in Storrs yet. Confronting defenders when you're injured is tough. We're comparing two different kinds of talents. Instead of pitting these two against each how about just celebrating they're healthy. I have some unopened champagne from labor day, cheersing to these two talents and excited for this season

Reaction Score
Yeah, but they don't and can't do this in a game. Paige is more consistent and fearless than Azzi. I'd like to see Azzi
make 1/3 d of her open shots. Also, I'd like to see Azzi make a move and take some defender to the hole. Paige, IMO is in a whole other category. She is willing to confront a defender, make a move and make a shot. She deserves national POY. Just my opinion. Azzi, not so much.
Yeah, you're probably right--Azzi will be lucky to start this year, or maybe even get playing time. Never mind that Steph called her one of the finest pure shooters, male or female, and last year had back-to-back 30-point games and was having an All-American year until her injury against ND.... Yeah, compared to Paige, she's just chopped liver...

Reaction Score
Paige and Azzi are a classic example of the difference between practice and game (pressure) performance. When you watch them practice they both are amazing shooters, but somhow Azzi’s shots seem cleaner, barely rippling the net. However, from what I see, I wouldn’t say Azzi makes more, though it’s possible she does. In a game however, imo there’s really no contest. If the game is on the line I want the ball in Paige’s hand for that last shot! It’s possible Azzi will develop that ability/confidence but Paige seems to have been born with it.
Pat Reilly once said that if he needed a game winning shot, he would choose Michael Jordan but if he needed a shot to save his life, he would choose Bird. Some people just seem to be able to rise to the occasion and are able to perform their best when it counts the most. Diana was about as good as I’ve ever seen at that and I think Paige is as well!
Having said that, watching Azzi shoot in practice is absolutely hypnotic! It’s as if there is a tiny little leprechaun sitting on the backboard who catches the ball on the way down and then drops it straight down through the hoop so that the net barely moves. With Azzi, if you painted the hoop right before practice, the ball might not ever get any paint on it. If she ever gets into a zone like that in a game, she could score 50 easily, though I doubt Geno would actually let that happen. We are in for a treat this season!
They are both great shooters. I think Paige has a better rotation on her shot but that only matters if they touch the rim. Azzi has a great stroke that has great trajectory and quite often doesn't hit anything but the net.

Reaction Score
My opinion on these two is one is a great shooter and the other is great offensive player. Paige can create on every play and get a decent shot that will go in the basket most of the time. Where I see Azzi is the player that benefits from Paige's creativity with a lot of open looks. The thing about both of them is they have a quick release so if they have a small window it will seem like an open shot for them.

No team in the country will be able to beat UCONN if they can't play man to man. UCONN can beat you high, they can beat you low, and they are fast in open court. The only question about this team is can they play a little defense? If the answer to that question is yes then this team will not lose this season if all their players are on the floor.

Reaction Score
Imo there needs to be an understanding how great Azzi was when she was healthy and very underrated as a freshman. IMO the main problem is that some love one-on-one basketball, and believe college ball is the same as pro ball. It isn't. In pro ball Creighton would never have gone to an E8. / similar to being among near one of the best pro teams.

First off Azzi shot 43% from 3 as a frosh I believe. 43% is terrific. Second, UCONN loses to UCF in her frosh year without her. .

And just as we had an understanding with Paige and her injury took time - there has to be an understanding that Azzi was amazing early. She was nowhere near what she was early. So instead of blindly just being a fan of one-on-one pro ball, I ask some fans to take stock in understanding that this past year early she torched Texas and Duke (coaches known for their Defense). Then matched, if not outplayed, Clark. This was a top four team. And she matched or outplayed a super super player. She did this while missing one season High School. While shed comes back she barely played during COVID. Then she was hurt quite a bit her frosh year. So she is 1 year younger than Calrk and has missed about 2 years+ playing time of hoop vs Clark the past 3 years and yet she matched a prime Clark.

So, despite all this she basically smoked three teams. Two strong Defensive Teams, and matching Clark says it all what she will probably be if healthy. Yes she needs to improve in all facets. But let's not over-exaggerate the negative When healthy she has shown to be an elite shooter/scorer and has scored efficiently in some big games/tough competition. So, if healthy, why such negativity? Especially since she’ll be playing with a super player like Paige and an A/a caliber player like Edwards?

And another thing is – Azzi makes Paige “better” too. As well as Paige making Azzi better.

Reaction Score
Imo there needs to be an understanding how great Azzi was when she was healthy and very underrated as a freshman. IMO the main problem is that some love one-on-one basketball, and believe college ball is the same as pro ball. It isn't. In pro ball Creighton would never have gone to an E8. / similar to being among near one of the best pro teams.

First off Azzi shot 43% from 3 as a frosh I believe. 43% is terrific. Second, UCONN loses to UCF in her frosh year without her. .

And just as we had an understanding with Paige and her injury took time - there has to be an understanding that Azzi was amazing early. She was nowhere near what she was early. So instead of blindly just being a fan of one-on-one pro ball, I ask some fans to take stock in understanding that this past year early she torched Texas and Duke (coaches known for their Defense). Then matched, if not outplayed, Clark. This was a top four team. And she matched or outplayed a super super player. She did this while missing one season High School. While shed comes back she barely played during COVID. Then she was hurt quite a bit her frosh year. So she is 1 year younger than Calrk and has missed about 2 years+ playing time of hoop vs Clark the past 3 years and yet she matched a prime Clark.

So, despite all this she basically smoked three teams. Two strong Defensive Teams, and matching Clark says it all what she will probably be if healthy. Yes she needs to improve in all facets. But let's not over-exaggerate the negative When healthy she has shown to be an elite shooter/scorer and has scored efficiently in some big games/tough competition. So, if healthy, why such negativity? Especially since she’ll be playing with a super player like Paige and an A/a caliber player like Edwards?

And another thing is – Azzi makes Paige “better” too. As well as Paige making Azzi better.
Great post. I agree with this. I think she was not really healthy by the tournament but even so, she seemed to just miss shots. It's not like she couldn't get a shot off. I think her release is so quick and her first step quick enough she can absolutely create for herself. Is there a game last year where she couldn't create for herself?

Paige also has similar criticism her freshman year vs Arizona, although it kinda gets mixed with her not being aggressive enough. But I'll be interested in seeing this year, being 21 and 22 years old respectively now, if they have any difficulty with pressure defense and creating their own shot. Despite all the injuries, if Hudy is as reported, physically they both should be as ready as ever.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m a big Azzi fan. I’ve seen her several times, starting in 9th grade. She torched all the high level competition in the DMV. As a sophomore, she led her team to the GEICO National Championship game, which they lost, largely because Azzi had a bad ankle.

If you read the articles about Azzi, you know that sometimes she has confidence issues. That’s why I thought it was important for her to play with Paige and for Geno. She is the sweetest person, but could use a little more killer instinct on the court (think Sue Bird). I’m still hoping that a little Paige Buckets will rub off on her.

I’m predicting a big season for Azzi. Paige knows where and when to get her the ball. That duo is nearly unstoppable.

Reaction Score
I’m a big Azzi fan. I’ve seen her several times, starting in 9th grade. She torched all the high level competition in the DMV. As a sophomore, she led her team to the GEICO National Championship game, which they lost, largely because Azzi had a bad ankle.

If you read the articles about Azzi, you know that sometimes she has confidence issues. That’s why I thought it was important for her to play with Paige and for Geno. She is the sweetest person, but could use a little more killer instinct on the court (think Sue Bird). I’m still hoping that a little Paige Buckets will rub off on her.

I’m predicting a big season for Azzi. Paige knows where and when to get her the ball. That duo is nearly unstoppable.

And yet teams will try, which should give Edwards room to work inside.

Reaction Score

There are a ton of good points in this post. I will take it a little further regarding the injury issue. In my opinion Azzi has been healthy for only 6 games in her career, namely the first 6 games of last year when she was playing like an All American and against top competition as Hoop Huskee points out. We saw glimpses of potential in her freshmen season, but she wasn't healthy with her foot the whole year. What we saw in her freshmen season was mostly a great spot up jump shooter who rarely drove to the basket, or used the pull-up jumper we know she has.

Then at the beginning of last year we saw the full potential, not just a spot up shooter but a big time scorer as well. After those first six games I remember her PER was over 30, or similar to Paige her freshmen season. For the season she wound up in the low 20's, so if you do the math she probably was around 15, or average post injury to bring her numbers down that much for the season. You can't really judge Azzi's likely impact based on her season statistics in either season unless you assume she will be similarly hampered by injuries this year.

I agree that Paige and Azzi can make each other better, but when you think about it, they haven't yet had an opportunity to play together when both players were healthy at the same time. Azzi was only healthy the first six games of last year when Paige was out, and while Paige was healthy for just the first six games of the previous season, Azzi was not with foot issues the whole year.

Both players have concerns over whether they might be injury prone, and if they can recover 100% to prior form, but the optimistic outlook is we haven't seen what both could do together if healthy, and in the brief periods of the last two years when either was healthy, they were very very good. We also haven't yet seen these two three level scorers together and healthy with a passer like Nika which could potentially make them even more effective. Nika in her record setting season frequently had only one outside shooting threat with her (Lou) but most of the time the other perimeter player was Aubrey.

The combination of two great outside shooters (Paige and Azzi), two great scorers (Paige and Azzi) and two great passers (Paige and Nika) together is potentially very exciting if we can avoid the injury bug.

Reaction Score
You are right, but I say every single UConn fan should give this a vigorous thumbs down or dislike. Paige is my all-time favorite female player, but where is this criticism of Azzi coming from. I don't know what games they were watching, but there is not another player in the country with Azzi's stroke. Ask any coach in America and they'd take Azzi in a second.

If she has a healthy season, I am pretty sure there will be plenty of instances on Azzi hitting an open shot and taking her defender to the hole.

I'm pretty stoked to see this dynamic duo perform this season. We've had to wait two injury-plagued season, but hopefully, this year makes the waiting worth it.

Reaction Score
You are right, but I say every single UConn fan should give this a vigorous thumbs down or dislike. Paige is my all-time favorite female player, but where is this criticism of Azzi coming from. I don't know what games they were watching, but there is not another player in the country with Azzi's stroke. Ask any coach in America and they'd take Azzi in a second.

If she has a healthy season, I am pretty sure there will be plenty of instances on Azzi hitting an open shot and taking her defender to the hole.

I'm pretty stoked to see this dynamic duo perform this season. We've had to wait two injury-plagued season, but hopefully, this year makes the waiting worth it.
I wonder, too, where the criticism is coming from. She is one of the great shooters in basketball. And Paige has said that it is her dream to win a national championship by passing the ball to Azzi for the final shot. I trust Paige’s confidence in her.

Reaction Score

When they play together one of them will be guarded by the 2nd best perimeter defender on the other team. :)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I can see it now on the after the game comments where some will criticize Nika for not shooting enough but gets double digit assists every game. Why have the PG shoot when you have Azzi on one side, Paige on the other side raining down threes, while she has Aaliyah and Ice or Aubrey down low to pass to if they are doubling one of those two.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I can see it now on the after the game comments where some will criticize Nika for not shooting enough but gets double digit assists every game. Why have the PG shoot when you have Azzi on one side, Paige on the other side raining down threes, while she has Aaliyah and Ice or Aubrey down low to pass to if they are doubling one of those two.
She will also have DeBerry to pass to. She is going to surprise people, pleasantly.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
She will also have DeBerry to pass to. She is going to surprise people, pleasantly.
Everybody wants to forget about Ayanna, don't they?

I think Aaliyah and Ice will be the starters at the 4 and 5 positions, backed up by Amari and Ayanna. If they all play somewhere close to their potential and stay healthy, UConn will have enough bigs for a change, and won't have to worry about one or even two of them getting in foul trouble in a particular game.

Reaction Score
Everybody wants to forget about Ayanna, don't they?

I think Aaliyah and Ice will be the starters at the 4 and 5 positions, backed up by Amari and Ayanna. If they all play somewhere close to their potential and stay healthy, UConn will have enough bigs for a change, and won't have to worry about one or even two of them getting in foul trouble in a particular game.

I'm with all of you on your optimistic takes on the coming season, as far as you've taken it.

I also recognize Caroline Ducharme has to avoid further head trauma, but it constantly amazes me how every take, on this and other threads, pretty much ignores Caroline. She still is a member of the team, right?

I suspect Geno might have a broader perspective that includes Caroline.

Reaction Score
Sarge, I agree 100%. If everyone stays healthy, especially Paige and Azzi, Nika should be able to reset the assist records. Maybe records that will never be broken.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Azzi make 3/4 of her open shots and 1/3 of her contested shots for a 0.4888 clip overall (48.88%) from 3 pt range... Drives to the bucket @ 78.33% and 9 foul shots per game (5 of them "and ones") at a 98.66% completion rate (misses 1 all year), and mid-range jumpers at 68.33% completion rate, BECAUSE she can!!!

All the above in the Big East and NCAA tournaments ==> when it counts. The other 30+ games are just "tune-ups"....

Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
My opinion on these two is one is a great shooter and the other is great offensive player. Paige can create on every play and get a decent shot that will go in the basket most of the time. Where I see Azzi is the player that benefits from Paige's creativity with a lot of open looks. The thing about both of them is they have a quick release so if they have a small window it will seem like an open shot for them.

No team in the country will be able to beat UCONN if they can't play man to man. UCONN can beat you high, they can beat you low, and they are fast in open court. The only question about this team is can they play a little defense? If the answer to that question is yes then this team will not lose this season if all their players are on the floor.
KK brings an additional gear that in Space Balls would call "ridiculous speed" to the fast break, which will be released through tough defense at the point...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom