PAC 12 WBB News | Page 14 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have to agree. Although, in my view, coaching staff recognized far too late that they needed a point guard who couldn't be double teamed & trapped. As soon as Tea Adams came in the game at end of Q2, it changed for the positive for OSU. I'm not suggesting OSU is going to turn around their season like they did last season. OSU had a great floor leader in Aleah Goodman last year, and without Aleah Goodman, OSU would have finished poorly. OSU is not going to win many games without a capable point guard, and that is not TvO. TvO is outstanding player, but not a point guard. Makes me concerned about next season too, as OSU does not have a point guard in the 2022 class. OSU will have to go to the portal.
Lotrader, does Coach Rueck seem like a portal guy? Some coaches seem to embrace it better than others and use it to fill in weaker areas and Rueck seem to be alot more old school. Maybe that is my bad perception alone. Not to say he won't use it seems some schools in the pac-12 are not shy at all shopping the portal.

Reaction Score
Lotrader, does Coach Rueck seem like a portal guy? Some coaches seem to embrace it better than others and use it to fill in weaker areas and Rueck seem to be alot more old school. Maybe that is my bad perception alone. Not to say he won't use it seems some schools in the pac-12 are not shy at all shopping the portal.
We're going to find out....not a lot of alternatives!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Thoughts, @nwhoopfan ?

Sigh. Don't think she's played a single minute this year. All of the Fr. have barely played. It's not like the vets are all that good, I've been puzzled why Coach Langley hasn't been casting an eye on the future and starting the development process with the young players. Well best of luck to her at her next school.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Can Avery handle the point? Asking for PNW WCBB Team.
Well considering UW has nothing slightly resembling a PG in their rotation and she couldn't get minutes there...

Reaction Score
Btw, As an example, Taylor Chavez transferred out because she wanted to start and play a lot of minutes at Oregon which did not happen.

I hear she is just killing in down in Tuscon with her 14.9 minutes and 2.4 points per game average.:(

Again, the team has zero chemistry in Oregon. There seems to be some selfish individuals and clearly other players weren't going to take it anymore.

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
Again, the team has zero chemistry in Oregon. There seems to be some selfish individuals and clearly other players weren't going to take it anymore.
Besides, the potshots at Taylor sound like someone who has watched zero minutes of Arizona this year. Not a shock, tbh. Primary rotation players (Chavez is one of them) are playing very little in most of their games. Freshmen are getting a lot of minutes right now. It's called depth and development. None of the top 8-9 are playing more than about 21 minutes except Sam Thomas who plays about 25. In close games, they play more.

Anyway, former UCLA commit Paris Clark to Arizona. She announced tonight.

Reaction Score
Besides, the potshots at Taylor sound like someone who has watched zero minutes of Arizona this year. Not a shock, tbh. Primary rotation players (Chavez is one of them) are playing very little in most of their games. Freshmen are getting a lot of minutes right now. It's called depth and development. None of the top 8-9 are playing more than about 21 minutes except Sam Thomas who plays about 25. In close games, they play more.

The pot shots taken at Oregon from someone who is out of state claiming they know they have zero chemistry sounds like sour grapes. Not a shock however.

Reaction Score
I guess we can agree that Sabrina was selfish. We have heard that a thousand times that is the one and only reason she got the triple doubles. We have heard that narrative all before.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

Filing that waiver is even worse than the NCAA allowing it. I don't buy "poor Graves, his players transferred," either. Why did so many transfer out? Not reserves who got little playing time, which I completely understand, but starters and rotation players? How many other Pac-12 teams are losing players who get significant minutes to the portal? Other than those undergoing coaching changes (and ASU, which is kind of a mess), you just rarely see that.

I especially hate these waivers because they so often devolve into trashing other programs. Flat out lies in some cases.

I don't know what could possibly have justified this waiver.
To @Jorislove--aren't you the poster who called N. Sabally a "ball hog" and (worse) "bully" in another thread? Both show just how little you know about--or care to know about--Oregon. And both, for me, disqualify you as being close to providing an informed perspective on the team. Moreover, the latter is simply insulting (and couldn't be more wrong). Don't know why you have such a problem with Graves et al., but maybe you should do a little more research before making pronouncements like that.

As for @AZgirl: I'm certainly not one to take potshots at Taylor (one my favorites), but her play last year (vs. her play the year before) did show how difficult it was to transition from being on a team with Ionescu, Hebard, and S. Sabally to being on one where she had much greater responsibilities and received a lot more attention from opposing players. Not a surprise and surely not unusual when a team/player suddenly finds itself missing the stars upon whom it had depended for the past 3 years (4 in the case of Ionescu and Hebard). And, as you may not know, an important reason for her transfer had to do with family matters, not playing time or team chemistry--matters for which she was excused several times last year so she could return home to Arizona.

I could go on (and on) about some of the comments/insinuations above: The Mikesell transfer? Chemistry issues? Perhaps. But starting at Maryland didn't work for her; neither did starting at Oregon; maybe the third time (Ohio State, for which she received an immediate waiver, by the way) will be the charm.

My main point, however, is that folks should be little more hesitant about making declarations for which they don't seem to have done the necessary homework.

Reaction Score
To @Jorislove--aren't you the poster who called N. Sabally a "ball hog" and (worse) "bully" in another thread? Both show just how little you know about--or care to know about--Oregon. And both, for me, disqualify you as being close to providing an informed perspective on the team. Moreover, the latter is simply insulting (and couldn't be more wrong). Don't know why you have such a problem with Graves et al., but maybe you should do a little more research before making pronouncements like that.

As for @AZgirl: I'm certainly not one to take potshots at Taylor (one my favorites), but her play last year (vs. her play the year before) did show how difficult it was to transition from being on a team with Ionescu, Hebard, and S. Sabally to being on one where she had much greater responsibilities and received a lot more attention from opposing players. Not a surprise and surely not unusual when a team/player suddenly finds itself missing the stars upon whom it had depended for the past 3 years (4 in the case of Ionescu and Hebard). And, as you may not know, an important reason for her transfer had to do with family matters, not playing time or team chemistry--matters for which she was excused several times last year so she could return home to Arizona.

I could go on (and on) about some of the comments/insinuations above: The Mikesell transfer? Chemistry issues? Perhaps. But starting at Maryland didn't work for her; neither did starting at Oregon; maybe the third time (Ohio State, for which she received an immediate waiver, by the way) will be the charm.

My main point, however, is that folks should be little more hesitant about making declarations for which they don't seem to have done the necessary homework.
Pretty much summed it up very well.

Reaction Score

Yeah I guess Oregon is just the perfect team right now, no one allowed to criticize them. Hope the season goes well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Utah survives a 1-19 shooting performance behind the 3 point line. I think other than that one triple, EVERY other basket was in the paint. No mid range jumpers, nothing. Weird game. Against Utah Valley. UVU controlled most of the 2nd half, but went on a drought at the end.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow, Loville scored 34 on 12-15 shooting for Arizona St. today. I think she's been a bit up and down this year, but she's definitely an asset for them.

Reaction Score
watching oregon vs k state, i actually like really like oregon. They've been hit hard with the injury bug but rogers and sabally are back today. I like how rogers sees the game. Her shot has been a bit off but she gives them a different dynamic. Scherr has really improved from last year to this year and Watson always produces when she's in. I just feel like their depth which was touted last year is actually better this year. I also think u can clearly see everyone's role on the team, and that they play decently off each other. That being said it looks like they might take an L tonight against a solid K State team.

Reaction Score
watching oregon vs k state, i actually like really like oregon. They've been hit hard with the injury bug but rogers and sabally are back today. I like how rogers sees the game. Her shot has been a bit off but she gives them a different dynamic. Scherr has really improved from last year to this year and Watson always produces when she's in. I just feel like their depth which was touted last year is actually better this year. I also think u can clearly see everyone's role on the team, and that they play decently off each other. That being said it looks like they might take an L tonight against a solid K State team.
I hope Prince is making money with the NIL deal, because she doesn't seem to be focused on basketball. It hurts the others who are at least working hard.

Reaction Score
That being said it looks like they might take an L tonight against a solid K State team
This was always going to be a tough road game for the Ducks. Impressed with the smooth efficiency of Ayoka Lee. Oregon played a pretty even game in rebound, turnovers, assists and the like. Their downfall was shooting pct. it was ouch. 33% overall, 28% from 3. Hurst, Parrish and Sabally combined for 5 for 23.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This was always going to be a tough road game for the Ducks. Impressed with the smooth efficiency of Angola Lee. Oregon played a pretty even game in rebound, turnovers, assists and the like. Their downfall was shooting pct. it was ouch. 33% overall, 22% from 3. Hurst, Parrish and Sabally combined for 5 for 23.
AYOKA Lee.

Ayoka Lee Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Reaction Score
I hope Prince is making money with the NIL deal, because she doesn't seem to be focused on basketball. It hurts the others who are at least working hard.
Prince is a disappointment. If she moves on after this year to something else I think it will help overall in the long run. I think what you see now is what you get. Nothing more and nothing less. She does not want to put the work into the basketball side. I don't think she is in the gym after hours working on her game but I have nothing to back that up that feeling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This was always going to be a tough road game for the Ducks. Impressed with the smooth efficiency of Angola Lee. Oregon played a pretty even game in rebound, turnovers, assists and the like. Their downfall was shooting pct. it was ouch. 33% overall, 22% from 3. Hurst, Parrish and Sabally combined for 5 for 23.
What I see at this point is consistency. Give me a player or players that consistently scores around 10 points a game over 4, 18, 4,6, 23 and 5 and I think you can settle on a rotation. Right now it is in a mode of trying to find who can score. I think they are another two players away from swinging those games another way. There are a couple of promising recruits in the future that could help. I am expecting a lot from a future Vanslooten,

That and you need a Alpha dog on the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Spell check LOL I KNOW who Ayoka Lee is. Anyway I was most impressed. Smoothly scoring at will against a succession of Oregon bigs. The way she ate up the 6’8” rookie Kyei over a brief couple minutes…
Graves post game: "We better start winning some games or else we’re not going to be playing in March."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Spell check LOL I KNOW who Ayoka Lee is. Anyway I was most impressed. Smoothly scoring at will against a succession of Oregon bigs. The way she ate up the 6’8” rookie Kyei over a brief couple minutes…
Yea...she's the real deal.

Reaction Score
I thought Lee had an impressive outing against Boston et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom