PAC 12 WBB News | Page 13 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Grand Canyon travels up the I-17 to Flagstaff to face the Lady Lumberjacks tonight tip 6:00 p.m.

Given the rather porous nature of the Lumberjack defense look for the Lopes to light it up tonight. Assuming that they adjust to 7,000 foot elevation and travel up the I-17 isn't stressful this could be a blowout.

Snow flurries are forecast to begin around noon however and I'm wondering to what extent this impacts both Grand Canyon travel up the 17 as well as preparation by the visitors for tonight's game.

Get a preview of the Grand Canyon Antelopes vs. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks basketball game. Grand Canyon vs. Northern Arizona - Game Preview - December 9, 2021 - ESPN

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Oregon’s current woes are all injury related and when they are back at full strength, the rest of the PAC-12 needs to watch out. Is UConn the same team with Paige out?
Would UCONN be the same with Paige out and their next two best players on top of that.

Reaction Score
Would UCONN be the same with Paige out and their next two best players on top of that.
Well, I would argue who their next two top players are but yes. Geno has built his resume on a short rotation. Would there be 11 NC banners if Lobo had elected to go to Tennessee or practically any other school? Tara has a slim career win lead over him but many, many of Geno’s wins have come against Average American (AA) and Big Easy (BE) conference teams. For the next few weeks, he gets a chance to prove his coaching greatness. I am hoping he can.

Reaction Score

Just saw this posted by Raoul. How big is this for Oregon?

Hosendove played at Clemson as a freshman then Georgia State for two years where she was leading scorer and rebounder. Apparently a versatile player who can create off the dribble. 6’1” so maybe a 3 but if she has handles maybe can come in as 2 when needed. Not sure this adds much since Pinto seems like the same type. (Hopefully she’ll be a sudden All American though)

Reaction Score
Well, I would argue who their next two top players are but yes. Geno has built his resume on a short rotation. Would there be 11 NC banners if Lobo had elected to go to Tennessee or practically any other school? Tara has a slim career win lead over him but many, many of Geno’s wins have come against Average American (AA) and Big Easy (BE) conference teams. For the next few weeks, he gets a chance to prove his coaching greatness. I am hoping he can.
Didn’t Tara get a lot of victories against a weak Pac12 thru a large part of her career? Original Big East was much tougher in that time period

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You're disgustingly unrelenting in your cheap swipes at Geno.

Why do you keep bringing up Tara in conversations that have nothing to do with her? She had a 7-year head start over Geno, which amounted to over 150 wins, a lead now dwindled to about 6.

What about the creampuff teams she beat for those 150 wins? What about all those DECADES when the Pac-12 mostly sucked?

What about all those undefeated and one-loss seasons that UConn put together even when in the old Big East? Geno wasn't the coach of those teams?

Was it Geno's team or Tara's team that lost to South Florida? Ya know, that team from the conference that you so glibly demean?

You clearly have a hidden agenda, and it's neither honest nor honorable. With UConn "fans" like you, who needs the haters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Against OSU this approach could have success because OSU has limited experience against an athletic pressing (ball hawking) opponent. Not to say OSU won't be prepared, but preparing is hard if you don't have an athletic practice opponent. I think back to some previous OSU seasons/games vs UCLA & USC when both teams pressed in the backcourt the entire game. Result was 25+ OSU turnovers in both games one season.
I agree. One thing that worries me more this season for the Beavers is their transition defense. I can't remember an Oregon State team under Scott Rueck being less committed to getting back on defense after made baskets than what I witnessed during Oregon State's latest win over Pacific. My guess is that the Beavs have been running a lot during recent practices as a reminder that the game doesn't stop after a made basket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oregon injury updates from Graves: Both Rogers and Sabally likely to make the KSU-Northwestern road trip mid month. Neither will play in next two home games v. Long Beach (7-0) and McNeese. No news on Paopao.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

You're disgustingly unrelenting in your cheap swipes at Geno.

Why do you keep bringing up Tara in conversations that have nothing to do with her? She had a 7-year head start over Geno, which amounted to over 150 wins, a lead now dwindled to about 6.

What about the creampuff teams she beat for those 150 wins? What about all those DECADES when the Pac-12 mostly sucked?

What about all those undefeated and one-loss seasons that UConn put together even when in the old Big East? Geno wasn't the coach of those teams?

Was it Geno's team or Tara's team that lost to South Florida? Ya know, that team from the conference that you so glibly demean?

You clearly have a hidden agenda, and it's neither honest nor honorable. With UConn "fans" like you, who needs the haters.

narrative-2.gif

Reaction Score
Oregon injury updates from Graves: Both Rogers and Sabally likely to make the KSU-Northwestern road trip mid month. Neither will play in next two home games v. Long Beach (7-0) and McNeese. No news on Paopao.
Ugh. Just ugh.

Reaction Score
Some good news for Oregon although not sure how much she brings to the table

rant
I find this news disappointing.

This isn't about Hosendove, Graves or Oregon in particular. All the stakeholders (in this instance all players, coaches, schools) need to stop trying to 'game' the system.

While I feel for Graves, as a couple of his players left it to the the 'last minute' to transfer and in doing do didn't allow him much opportunity to replace them, I don't believe Oregon should have put in this waiver request. The whole "don't blame the player, blame the game" is tiresome. Have some integrity.

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
rant
I find this news disappointing.

This isn't about Hosendove, Graves or Oregon in particular. All the stakeholders (in this instance all players, coaches, schools) need to stop trying to 'game' the system.

While I feel for Graves, as a couple of his players left it to the the 'last minute' to transfer and in doing do didn't allow him much opportunity to replace them, I don't believe Oregon should have put in this waiver request. The whole "don't blame the player, blame the game" is tiresome. Have some integrity.

Couldn't agree more. I was really surprised to see this. They have already given the players a free transfer. If they can't get it right twice, they need to sit. And allowing a waiver for the second transfer is nonsense. I understand that it's not politically popular for the NCAA to draw lines, but they need to anyway.

Filing that waiver is even worse than the NCAA allowing it. I don't buy "poor Graves, his players transferred," either. Why did so many transfer out? Not reserves who got little playing time, which I completely understand, but starters and rotation players? How many other Pac-12 teams are losing players who get significant minutes to the portal? Other than those undergoing coaching changes (and ASU, which is kind of a mess), you just rarely see that.

I especially hate these waivers because they so often devolve into trashing other programs. Flat out lies in some cases.

I don't know what could possibly have justified this waiver.

Reaction Score
Not sure either about the standards applied. Or how Mikesell was able to go from MD to Ore to OSU consecutively and play immediately. My guess is the COVID year sort of didn’t count???Reminder that Sedona Prince was not granted a waiver and sat out 19-20 season.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. I was really surprised to see this. They have already given the players a free transfer. If they can't get it right twice, they need to sit. And allowing a waiver for the second transfer is nonsense. I understand that it's not politically popular for the NCAA to draw lines, but they need to anyway.

Filing that waiver is even worse than the NCAA allowing it. I don't buy "poor Graves, his players transferred," either. Why did so many transfer out? Not reserves who got little playing time, which I completely understand, but starters and rotation players? How many other Pac-12 teams are losing players who get significant minutes to the portal? Other than those undergoing coaching changes (and ASU, which is kind of a mess), you just rarely see that.

I especially hate these waivers because they so often devolve into trashing other programs. Flat out lies in some cases.

Btw, As an example, Taylor Chavez transferred out because she wanted to start and play a lot of minutes at Oregon which did not happen.

I hear she is just killing in down in Tuscon with her 14.9 minutes and 2.4 points per game average.:(

Reaction Score
Some good news for Oregon although not sure how much she brings to the table

Brings another scoring, assist, and rebounding option. I like this addition. Huge pick up for Oregon. Plus once every gets healthy and back into game shape, this just adds to the depth of Oregon's roster going forward in the season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon St. goes on the road, pitiful showing in beating Monmouth by 14 and losing to Villanova. Beavs stink this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford and Arizona both had closer than expected games at halftime, but pulled away in the 2nd half.

For the Cats a huge factor was Conner, Pueyo and Chavez combining for 10-23 3 point shooting off the bench.

Reaction Score
Oregon St. goes on the road, pitiful showing in beating Monmouth by 14 and losing to Villanova. Beavs stink this year.
Have to agree. Although, in my view, coaching staff recognized far too late that they needed a point guard who couldn't be double teamed & trapped. As soon as Tea Adams came in the game at end of Q2, it changed for the positive for OSU. I'm not suggesting OSU is going to turn around their season like they did last season. OSU had a great floor leader in Aleah Goodman last year, and without Aleah Goodman, OSU would have finished poorly. OSU is not going to win many games without a capable point guard, and that is not TvO. TvO is outstanding player, but not a point guard. Makes me concerned about next season too, as OSU does not have a point guard in the 2022 class. OSU will have to go to the portal.

Reaction Score
Cameron Brink had 25 points on 12-16 shooting, 11 rebounds, 4 blocks , and 3 assists in 23 minutes.
She is definitely a force. Will be interesting to watch Stanford's looming Southern Road Trip through Tennessee and South Carolina. They could definitely reassert themselves as a top 3 with 2 wins and maybe just one win and a close loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom