Pac-12 Tournament thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Pac-12 Tournament thread

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well that win cements Stanford as a 2 seed.
The only teams that can remotely possibly storm the 2 seed party would be NC State and Mississippi Stare if they were to win their conference tournaments. MSU would need to beat SC or NCST would need to beat Louisville. I think in one of those two scenarios the loser of tomorrow’s game is not necessarily safe on the 2 line.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Was there another T? Looks like Stanford has scored 4 straight without any time going by.
Not sure what you saw. I was there in person and there was not another T.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not sure what you saw. I was there in person and there was not another T.

I saw nothing, I was scoreboard watching. Maybe ESPN was messed up. Seemed to jump from 64-56 to 68-56 w/ no time going by.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I saw nothing, I was scoreboard watching. Maybe ESPN was messed up. Seemed to jump from 64-56 to 68-56 w/ no time going by.
The score was at 64-56 for a while. There were several turnovers back and forth and then Tudor missed a 3 that would’ve cut it to 5. Then OSU started playing the foul game. Williams made a couple FTs for 66-56, Slocum missed a shot, and Wilson made a couple more FTs for 68-56.

Reaction Score
Did they say Slocum just got her 1000 point. That's got to be just in her 2 years at OSU. She scored 525 points last year and she had 465 this year before this game. She must have score a few as National Freshman of the year at Maryland before OSU.

1K at OSU.

Slocum NCAA Stats

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Oregon St now has Nine losses for the Season. Should they still be hosting?

If we look at Charlie Creme's Bracketology, the #5 Seeds that could move up are Princeton, Missouri St and Indiana. I did not take into consideration Texas A&M since they lost to Arkansas.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Oregon St now has Nine losses for the Season. Should they still be hosting?

If we look at Charlie Creme's Bracketology, the #5 Seeds that could move up are Princeton, Missouri St and Indiana. I did not take into consideration Texas A&M since they lost to Arkansas.
Raw number of losses is not at all a good metric. Seven of those 9 losses were to teams in the committee's top 16 reveal.

Princeton and Missouri State lack the quality wins to be able to move up to the 4 line. Princeton's only top 50 win is over FGCU. Missouri State has a handful of top 50 wins but a couple of bad losses as well, plus their best wins (over South Dakota and Drake) aren't as good as OSU's wins over Arizona and DePaul.

Indiana could certainly move up, and IMHO they should've been in the top 16 already. They have that great win over South Carolina, they now have 6 top-50 wins, and they have no losses outside the RPI top 25. I can't understand why the committee seems bent on giving them the shaft.

But even if Indiana were to move up, the team they'd likely displace from a hosting spot would be DePaul, not OSU. DePaul can't really do much to move up at this point, but another loss could certainly drop them down.

Reaction Score
Raw number of losses is not at all a good metric. Seven of those 9 losses were to teams in the committee's top 16 reveal.

Princeton and Missouri State lack the quality wins to be able to move up to the 4 line. Princeton's only top 50 win is over FGCU. Missouri State has a handful of top 50 wins but a couple of bad losses as well, plus their best wins (over South Dakota and Drake) aren't as good as OSU's wins over Arizona and DePaul.

Indiana could certainly move up, and IMHO they should've been in the top 16 already. They have that great win over South Carolina, they now have 6 top-50 wins, and they have no losses outside the RPI top 25. I can't understand why the committee seems bent on giving them the shaft.

But even if Indiana were to move up, the team they'd likely displace from a hosting spot would be DePaul, not OSU. DePaul can't really do much to move up at this point, but another loss could certainly drop them down.
Good analysis. Two other points. Two of the teams you just talked about (Missouri State and Depaul), Oregon State beat by double digits. Secondly, Iowa is currently also a 4 seed, but lost their 1st round Big 10 tourney game to a lousy Ohio State. If Indiana replaces anyone it should be Iowa. Especially if DePaul wins the Big East Tourney.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Good analysis. Two other points. Two of the teams you just talked about (Missouri State and Depaul), Oregon State beat by double digits. Secondly, Iowa is currently also a 4 seed, but lost their 1st round Big 10 tourney game to a lousy Ohio State. If Indiana replaces anyone it should be Iowa. Especially if DePaul wins the Big East Tourney.
Head-to-head always tends to gets overstated as a criterion for seeding. The committee will always look at holistically at bodies of work first and foremost, and clearly Oregon State already has the edge there. Both of those games were played on Oregon State's home court, so focusing the analysis on just one game played two time zones away would be a bit unfair for the visiting teams.

Indiana beat South Carolina by double digits on a neutral court, but that doesn't mean Indiana will be seeded ahead of SC.

Reaction Score
It feels like a real shame that these two had to play in the quarterfinals. I feel like Stanford is the bona fide #2 team in the conference and Oregon State is the #5. If you account for the unbalanced schedules and strength of record in conference, I’m sure that’s how it would come out. Should’ve been Oregon State vs Arizona today instead of this game.
Yep. That would have been a better matchup for the Beavs. Really didn't want to see Arizona beat the Cardinal last weekend in Tucson. Would have preferred to play UCLA. Beavs match up better length-wise now with UCLA than Stanford, given the OSU injured.

Credit Stanford for a quick start to last night's game and for keeping OSU's top three scorers in check throughout the game. Stanford's Hull sisters are so versatile on defense and give Tara 10 fouls to work with should she need them.

Reaction Score
Decided to post (don't tell Nan).

I really think OSU coaches dropped the ball. Stanford has done exactly the same thing to the Beavs in the past 2 games when the Beavs have started in man-to-man defense. High post screen, open shot, and all Stanford players on perimeter are excellent shooters. Why we didn't have Taylor Jones with our 4 best defensive guards on the floor, in a zone defense from the tip, I don't know??????? So frustrating, when OSU outscored Stanford from the 2nd quarter to end of game, 47-43. OSU coaches need to wake up and realize that OSU's best chance against a tall, athletic team (UO, Stanford, Baylor, South Carolina) is sitting Maddie Washington, and rotating Taylor Jones and Patricia Morris at the 5, and, a 4-guard line-up between Goodman, Pivec, Slocum, Tudor, and Simmons.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I really think OSU coaches dropped the ball. Stanford has done exactly the same thing to the Beavs in the past 2 games when the Beavs have started in man-to-man defense. High post screen, open shot, and all Stanford players on perimeter are excellent shooters. Why we didn't have Taylor Jones with our 4 best defensive guards on the floor, in a zone defense from the tip, I don't know??????? So frustrating, when OSU outscored Stanford from the 2nd quarter to end of game, 47-43. OSU coaches need to wake up and realize that OSU's best chance against a tall, athletic team (UO, Stanford, Baylor, South Carolina) is sitting Maddie Washington, and rotating Taylor Jones and Patricia Morris at the 5, and, a 4-guard line-up between Goodman, Pivec, Slocum, Tudor, and Simmons.

Nice to have you back :) .

Reaction Score

OSU needed to make its midrange shots against Stanford's length. Pivec and Slocum were off from the field most of the night. I agree that the start that Stanford got off to (6/7 from the field to build an early 14-4 lead) was the difference in the game.

Stanford takes away a team's strengths better than virtually every other team in the country. And it did so again last night.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Stanford takes away a team's strengths better than virtually every other team in the country. And it did so again last night.

I agree, but the Cardinal are also (imo) wildly inconsistent offensively and prone to scoring droughts that keep some of their games a lot closer than they might/should be. In this case, they start out 6/7 and then finish without a field goal for the last 6+ minutes of the game, and not just because Oregon State was playing stellar defense. It's here (the droughts) that I think the loss of Jones really hurts.

Reaction Score
I agree, but the Cardinal are also (imo) wildly inconsistent offensively and prone to scoring droughts that keep some of their games a lot closer than they might/should be. In this case, they start out 6/7 and then finish without a field goal for the last 6+ minutes of the game, and not just because Oregon State was playing stellar defense. It's here (the droughts) that I think the loss of Jones really hurts.
Very true. Some of that can be attributed to its relative youth. When Stanford pieces together three or more quality quarters, it has enough to compete with the best in the country. Don't be surprised if Stanford gives Oregon a quality battle in this tourney's championship game on Sunday. Belibi and Dodson are getting better inside with each passing game.

Reaction Score
Chalk prevails... #1-2-3-4 in the semis...now let’s see who wants it...
No other conference tournament has the quality of the PAC12 semis: #3 vs #13 & #7 vs #8. The SEC is the only other one with 4 ranked teams, #1 vs #25 & #9 vs #16. The Big12 will be #2 Baylor and nobody, similar to the AAC with #5 UConn and nobody and the Big East is #18 Depaul & nobody. The Big 10 will have 1 ranked team in the final (#6 Md or #20 Indiana), and the ACC had 3 ranked in the semis, but with #4 L'ville out the final will be #10 vs #22,

Reaction Score
Well, I will be surprised, because I'm skeptical that we'll even get to tomorrow's game. We don't match up especially well with UCLA, and so the major question is whether having Dodson back helps us inside and keep Onyenwere out of the paint. They comfortably beat us at home a month ago before she came back...
I believe that Stanford will prevail today with its bigs making a big difference defensively. I like the current starting lineup for Stanford. If the Cardinal get anything from Prechtel tonight, I think Stanford can beat UCLA by 10+ points.

Plebe

Reaction Score
First of all I have to say that there is an ocean of Ducks fans here. They probably outnumber the AZ fans by 10 to 1 at least.

This game started out at a torrid pace. Sabrina had her hands on her knees less than 3 minutes in. You could really tell they made a point of slowing the pace down after that initial timeout.

Arizona is a really tough team and very resilient. They fell behind early, then got hot from deep and hit four 3s in a row. After they cut the lead to 1, they seemed to go cold and Oregon opened up another lead up to 16. McDonald’s lucky bouncing 3 at the buzzer cut it to 10.

Great game with lots of momentum shifts.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Very entertaining so far. We have a dedicated thread for this game going.
Not sure why we needed a separate game thread when we already had a dedicated Pac-12 tournament thread.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not sure why we needed a separate game thread when we already had a dedicated Pac-12 tournament thread.

you know Shades, doing that game thread thing

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom