PAC 12 thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 thread

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Curious what our OSU/UW fan thinks-what say you sage of the Northwest WCBB hoop seen? What say you? @nwhoopfan

I saw the cancellation notice yesterday. I figured the good news is one of them would get a W, but the bad news is the other would get an L. I wasn't prepared to make a bold prediction about the outcome. But hey, suddenly that OSU loss to WSU isn't looking nearly as bad as it did on Saturday.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hey @Floridaduck one minor correction is I do think Utah is better than Colorado but at that far down in the standings, does it really matter? :confused:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hey @Floridaduck one minor correction is I do think Utah is better than Colorado but at that far down in the standings, does it really matter? :confused:

I would've said the same before Colorado beat Utah by 30. Kinda hard to make that claim at the moment.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is a feisty Washington State team. It's a shame they lost Murekerete to foul trouble early, but....I'm loving how they're playing so far this season despite losing two all time leaders in Hristova and Molina.
I found very questionable the block call that went against Bella early in 1Q (thought it should've been a charge). But hey, I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make those calls.

Still, can't really blame the loss on her foul trouble, as WSU led for the entire first half while she was in the foul trouble box.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Incidentally, as a result of the Stanford-UCLA game, Stanford is now #1 per Massey, and UCLA is #10. And to the degree anyone thought it was a messy, defensive slugfest, it was: Massey says Stanford is #1 defensively and UCLA is #7. Both programs are stronger on D than O (#6 for Stanford, #24 for UCLA), so a low-scoring, low shooting percentage game is exactly what we should and did get.

Also notable: even though Oregon won, it dropped to #2, and even though WSU lost, it's now up to #20 from #25. Indeed, the Cougars are ranked #12 defensively in the country. I'm super eager to see if they can maintain this trajectory over the season, because if they can they may be the sleeper team of the season. And there are few programs and coaches that deserve it more than Ethridge and the Cougars.

1608645441209.png

Attachments

• 1608645441437.png
    1608645441437.png
    423.9 KB · Views: 98
Reaction Score
So, a few things here. I'm surprised that Ohio State is ranked as highly as it is by Massey. A weird quirk given that their best win is over Kent State (?). It is interesting that Massey indicates that the Pac-12 has 5 of the top 10 defensive teams in the nation. Stanford, Oregon, Arizona State, Arizona, and UCLA are all in the top 10, with Washington State and Washington not far behind in the Top 21.

The other quirk? Princeton is rated as having the 19th toughest schedule, despite not having played a game this year and having their season cancelled.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The other quirk? Princeton is rated as having the 19th toughest schedule, despite not having played a game this year and having their season cancelled.
Massey automatically imports some data from the end of last year's season at the start of a new season to weigh the relative strength and expected performance of teams early on. The import of those old games diminishes rapidly as new games replace them and the ratings have enough datapoints to rank based solely on play from this season. I suspect what happened with Princeton is its SOS is based purely on those legacy games from last year that haven't dropped off because it hasn't played any games this year. For everybody else, this season's performance serves as the lion's share of their ranking composition. I suspect Ohio State is similarly benefiting in part from last season's performance (and especially its three late-season neutral court wins over Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota), but Massey also factors in Margin of Victory and Ohio State has won all its games in decisive fashion, so that probably helps.

(And before you critique that approach, it's the reason why Massey's ratings are so much more reliable than RPI from the outset - RPI is often extremely wonky until well into the start of conference play, given how imbalanced a lot of teams' OOC schedules are. And personally, I find RPI a close to useless gauge.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ASU games against Washington schools are postponed. ASU announcement said pac-12 will try to reschedule at a time it meets the needs of both schools. I wonder what the chances of that will be.

I appreciate the abundance of caution. ASU said the postponement was due to covid issues within their program.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford rearranged the order they play Washington and Washington St. the following week, they will now play the Cougs twice in Pullman before going to Seattle. This is to make up a previously postponed game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Now the Arizona-Washington game on Friday has been postponed. Add UW to the list of teams pausing activities.

Reaction Score
ASU postponed this weekend's games against Oregon schools due to Covid concerns.

Reaction Score
Colorado dropped their game against USC, despite USC still being without Pili. Unsure of what to make of Colorado this season or moving forward. Was Emma Clarke THAT big a loss?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Colorado dropped their game against USC, despite USC still being without Pili. Unsure of what to make of Colorado this season or moving forward. Was Emma Clarke THAT big a loss?
I think Colorado and Utah both are definitely not moving forward this year and in fact are falling further behind the top half of the conference. Utah in particular seems disappointing to me.

Cal, Washington, Utah and Colorado all gotta be wondering how Washington St. has made such a quantum leap this year while those 4 are all stuck at the bottom.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Couldn't find the non UConn news thread, so putting this here. Sounds like Talia von Oelhoffen is the latest high schooler to jump ahead and enroll in classes, will be available for Oregon St. soon.

Reaction Score
Pac-12 is having a fabulous early start in both the men and women NCAA.

The teams are 14 and one

The Pac-12, a football doormat with dysfunctional leadership, has surged to the forefront of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament. In glorious, emphatic and unexpected fashion, the league has locked down 25% of the Sweet 16. In order of least surprising to most: No. 7 seed Oregon, No. 6 USC, No. 11 UCLA and No. 12 Oregon State. Only Colorado, the highest-seeded Pac-12 team of them all at No. 5, has been dismissed.

No other league has more than two teams. The lordly Big Ten, universally considered the premier conference in the country, advanced exactly one of its nine teams, in what has to be the most embarrassing performance by a league.

Reaction Score
Pac-12 is having a fabulous early start in both the men and women NCAA.

The teams are 14 and one
Colorado men and Washington State women lost. Combined record of 14-2 I believe: (5-1 wbb and 9-1 mbb not including Oregon's 1st round bye)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Colorado men and Washington State women lost. Combined record of 14-2 I believe: (5-1 wbb and 9-1 mbb not including Oregon's 1st round bye)
Colorado has a really good reason to explain why they might not have been focused on the game. I'll give them a pass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom