PAC 12 thread | The Boneyard

PAC 12 thread

Reaction Score
I looked and couldn't find a recent pac-12 thread . Don't know how much interest I'll be but I had a comment about season openers on December 4th.

Reaction Score
The pac-12 season starts with a huge game on December 4th. UCLA and Arizona face off in what might actually be a preview of the pac-12 championship game. Both of these teams are outstanding.

The winner of this game on opening conference weekend should proceed undefeated until their Sanford game later in the month.

Last season I saw U of A or as they like to be called now Uarizona in person three times. They were outstanding then, very well coached, and much deeper this year due to transfers.

This December 4th tip off game down in that little town in southern Arizona is going to provide an insight into the balance of the pac-12 this year.

Both teams warmed up against lower level competition. Uarizona has one non-conference game against the NAU Lumberjacks. While the Jacks demonstrated amazing shooting in their season opener they're going to provide no contest for the kittens.

One player to watch for those pac-12ers who watch the game will be consensus preseason Big Sky MVP candidate Khiarica Rasheed. Also you'll find interesting Jacey Bailey's shooting technique.

On another thread a pac-12 fan mentioned the mistake in overlooking USC this year. While they're not a top tier pac 12 team they're going to be very much improved over a last year and I think may overtake Oregon State for the fifth spot in the conference

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is Fran Belibi ok? Saw that she started and only played 11 minutes in their opener.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Is Fran Belibi ok? Saw that she started and only played 11 minutes in their opener.
I had the PAC12 network via Sling last year and saw quite a bit of Stanford (and yes, they have a ton of talent) but I am not convinced Belibi is really one of their elite players. There's a lot of hype around her because she did dunk but I still think Hull, Williams, Jones, Prechtel and even Hannah Jump are better returning players and Brink's first game was impressive. Who can fill me in on the "Fran hype"? I seem to be missing something that my eyes aren't seeing.

Reaction Score
On another thread a pac-12 fan mentioned the mistake and overlooking USC this year. While they're not a top tier pac 12 team they're going to be very much improved over a last year and I think may overtake Oregon State for the fifth spot in the conference

When have we heard this before . . . .? Oh, right. EVERY YEAR. Personally, I have no explanation. The talent is always there. Trakh is not a bad coach. But there just seems to be a ceiling there - not enough big wins, too many inexplicable losses.

Reaction Score
"Is Fran Belibi ok? Saw that she started and only played 11 minutes in their opener. "

She started, didn't play well ; coach said she was trying to hard

Reaction Score
"Is Fran Belibi ok? Saw that she started and only played 11 minutes in their opener. "

She started, didn't play well ; coach said she was trying to hard
Thanks for the info. The box score looked strange so thought I would ask.

Reaction Score

Wonder if there is more to the story....

In any event, the kitties will easily double the Jacks on the 29th.

It will be interesting if this has any impact on the kitties opener against the bruins.

Reaction Score

Wonder if there is more to the story....

In any event, the kitties will easily double the Jacks on the 29th.

It will be interesting if this has any impact on the kitties opener against the bruins.
Oregon State had the same problem. So, they finally ended up booking 2 NAIA teams which won't even count. Probably not the ideal way to warm up for their Pac-12 conference schedule.

Reaction Score
Like Stanford, Ducks are deep at every position, and, have lots of height, and agile height. The Duck freshman class looks very good.

Reaction Score
The last time the Arizona Wildcats took the court in a competitive event was March 7, 2020 against Oregon. That game was in the semifinals of the Pac-12 Tournament as both teams headed towards what were expected to be deep runs in the NCAA Tournament.

The stakes may have been higher, but the game against Northern Arizona on Sunday (today ..tip in one hour), which will be held in a fan-free McKale Center, may be more meaningful.

Reaction Score
Notice that as the kitties are in a time out in their game with NAU they're wearing the cheap over the counter face masks. One would think they could locate some money in the budget to have some upscale branded Kitty face masks.

Reaction Score
Cate Reese 15 - NAU Lumberjacks 20. Reese has some help so the kitties lead at the half 30 to 24. Kitties are 0 for 6 from three land at the half. The NAU Lumberjacks have one more offensive rebound.

Reaction Score
Kitties widen lead to 16 as Jacks have no answer for Reese who has 20 points at the midpoint of 3rd quarter.

Reaction Score
Oregon State had the same problem. So, they finally ended up booking 2 NAIA teams which won't even count. Probably not the ideal way to warm up for their Pac-12 conference schedule.
Didn't Oregon State men end up playing CAL in a non conference type game this season.

Reaction Score
Like Stanford, Ducks are deep at every position, and, have lots of height, and agile height. The Duck freshman class looks very good.
Even though it was against Seattle as a duck fan I was happy with the talent level with the mass substitutions with all freshmen on the floor at one time. Oregon only had 3 turnovers in that game.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to watching UCLA game today. I've watched UO, Stanford, OSU, & UA thus far. Stanford and UO have the most talent by a long way over the PAC-12 teams I've seen play thus far. They are #1A and #1B in PAC-12 after this weekend. Perhaps the UCLA game will change my mind (but don't think so).

Reaction Score
Interesting watching the first Duck game. Certainly a wealth of talent. Taylor Mikesell (8-10 3pt) and Sedona certainly stood out. I thought the 3 pt was missing for the rest of the team (2-21...shades of the Louisville game last season). Lydia Giomi was a force with 15 pts and 13 rebounds in 14 minutes. She appears to be physically stronger and more confident than in the past.
The Bigs, including the Freshmen, run the floor very well and there is a lot of athleticism all the way through the lineup. Graves has mentioned that PaoPao is the only true point guard and that vets Chavez and Shelley are more comfortable at the #2-3.
Looks like a fluid lineup with Prince, Mikesell, and Boley as three likely starters. Graves has usually gone with a rotation of about 8-9 but it looks like there will be more like 10-11 until there is more separation.
Late game for me tonight (11 pm EST).... urkkkk

Reaction Score
Oregon State just can't buy a break. Now even their late add opponent of NAIA Carroll College has cancelled the day of the game (today). I guess OSU will have only 1 nonconference game (an exhibition game against Montana Western this past Saturday) prior to opening the PAC-12 conference against Utah this friday. Not good.

Too bad Portland State or Portland can't add OSU today, tomorrow, or Wednesday.

Reaction Score
ASU Sun Devils discover their shooting touch against St Mary's leading 41-29 at the half.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ASU Sun doubles discover their shooting touch against St Mary's leading 41-29 at the half.

No one should ever mention ASU's shooting touch because that's just a jinx on them. They've scored just 21 points in the second half reverting to their season average as they put on an offensive clinic by Sun Devil's standards to win. Arizona State sneaks away with a win against St. Mary's -- 62-53. A win is a win! Onto USC on Friday!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Very limited number of games, but the Pac 12 did weekly awards. I didn't see who else won, but UW's Tameiya Sadler was the initial Freshman of the Week. I'm guessing the Dawgs haven't had one of those in a long time.

Reaction Score
PAC-12 having all kinds of scheduling issues. Oregon State vs Utah game has been moved from this Friday, December 4, to following Tuesday, December 8. Next OSU scheduled game is vs Colorado on Sunday, December 6.
Stanford WBB program is in a world of hurt given Santa Clara County's latest shut-down to all sports for next 3 weeks. Rumored that Stanford Football Team is relocating to somewhere in the Pacific Northwest (OR/WA). I wonder if the Stanford WBB Program will consider?

Reaction Score
No one should ever mention ASU's shooting touch because that's just a jinx on them. They've scored just 21 points in the second half reverting to their season average as they put on an offensive clinic by Sun Devil's standards to win. Arizona State sneaks away with a win against St. Mary's -- 62-53. A win is a win! Onto USC on Friday!
Interesting. ASU has won each of its first three games by a margin of nine points period and tonight's game the leading scorers for ASU all had nine points including Ehoni Walker who's emerging as a real leader on the team, Sydney Caldwell who for the second straight game brought tremendous energy and my favorite Briyanna Sanders the only senior on the team with nine points. Sanders played a great game and for a member of the program who's had very limited playing time for three years I'm so pleased to see her get a chance to finally contribute.

That said I'll repeat my earlier observation it's going to be a long long pac-12 season for the Sun Devils.

ASU opens pac-12 play next weekend with the Trojans who are much improved followed by a very talented UCLA Bruins team. Going to be an interesting and fun weekend and quite a challenge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom