Pac 12 Conference Outlook | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 Conference Outlook

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Utah won by 2 in OT. Improved to 9-2 in conference. I'm not quite sure how good they are, but the record looks shiny.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford is just a terrible matchup for Washington St. They've been crushing the Cougs in recent years when WSU is competitive in most of the rest of their games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arizona St. continued their march toward a winless campaign in conference. USC improved to 7-4 and will be tied w/ the UCLA-Arizona winner for 4th.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Washington is actually on a 2 game winning streak in conference! 4-7, good for 9th place. Looks like they led comfortably against Cal almost the whole way.

Reaction Score
Okay, is it officially time to panic in Eugene? Lost to Colorado by 10, fell to 5-6 in conference. Tied for 7th w/ Washington St. Could easily get swept at home this weekend.
The panicking started in Corvallis about 5 weeks or so ago so we have some catching up to do. Hopefully OSU can jump Washington for ninth which is possible on Sunday.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UCLA keeps letting games slip away from them. Lost in OT to Arizona. Led much of the game.

Raise your hand if you predicted down the back stretch, Utah would be 2nd, Colorado 3rd and USC tied for 4th.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The panicking started in Corvallis about 5 weeks or so ago so we have some catching up to do. Hopefully OSU can jump Washington for ninth which is possible on Sunday.
Which OSU will show up? They've shown they can (almost) beat anybody in the conference, but likewise lose to anybody.

Reaction Score
Oregon Ducks. OMG. Huge fan of the program but what in the world? I remember a few years back. I went to a coaching clinic where Coach Kelly Graves was one of the speakers. Dude went on and on about how he only recruits kids that can shoot the ball. Prides himself on how his practice sessions are all about shooting. Then I watched the game last night. SMH

Reaction Score
Okay, is it officially time to panic in Eugene? Lost to Colorado by 10, fell to 5-6 in conference. Tied for 7th w/ Washington St. Could easily get swept at home this weekend.
Yup. It is time to panic. I do not understand what is going on. Love watching Oregon Ducks play. One of the few programs that I follow from the West Coast (Gonzaga, Pepperdine, Cal & Washington). Oregon just could not get into a decent offensive flow. Shooting from the 3point line. Once one of the staples of the program. Was not there last night. Not sure what is going on.

Reaction Score
Yup. It is time to panic. I do not understand what is going on. Love watching Oregon Ducks play. One of the few programs that I follow from the West Coast (Gonzaga, Pepperdine, Cal & Washington). Oregon just could not get into a decent offensive flow. Shooting from the 3point line. Once one of the staples of the program. Was not there last night. Not sure what is going on.
Graves comment post game: "This one is one me. I need to do a better job than I did tonight... Our kids played hard. I'll give them that. They played hard and maybe they deserved better than what I'm giving them right now."

He has been saying this for weeks now that he has got to coach better. They do deserve better, how does that happen. He is almost admitting something about himself...........

Reaction Score
Graves comment post game: "This one is one me. I need to do a better job than I did tonight... Our kids played hard. I'll give them that. They played hard and maybe they deserved better than what I'm giving them right now."

He has been saying this for weeks now that he has got to coach better. They do deserve better, how does that happen. He is almost admitting something about himself...........
While it's perplexing, at least he's taking on some accountability. Not all coaches will do that.

Reaction Score
OSU WBB Beavers are going to a be a very good team. As soon as Coach starts giving the majority of the minutes to his young ones. Next season have 2 local guard/wings coming in to the program that should help a bunch. I like the future of this team.
When I watch them play Beers seems like an unbelievable player. Her size, her touch, her competitiveness. I also loved that she's sitting major minutes on the bench last night and she's going crazy cheering for her teammates in the 4th. Then she comes back in, in OT, no attitude, just buckets. She really made Pili work for it last night, just an overall impressive performance. I like OSU but you're right, I think they just need experience, and then maybe a true point guard that can run the show. TVO, is one of my favorite guards, but she is pretty up and down, perhaps because of the responsibility placed on her shoulders.

I was disappointed in UCLA, but happy for Arizona last night. AZ has played a lot of close games, and they were able to pull this one out. They have players who really step up under pressure. Fields continues to hit big shots, and I thought Esmery and Pellington played real solid games. Adia Barnes really has her challenges in terms of finding the right lineups. It's funny because on the outside, I always don't like when coaches don't play players who can contribute. But then watching AZ, I almost think they play too many players, or players who I would expect to be out there in key moments are not. Like Jade Loville, as she said, is a borderline pro, but she only gets 22 minutes last night. Pueyo, the senior Captain gets 15. Its not really a critique tho, heavy is the head that wears the crown I guess. On the UCLA side, I really like Kiki Rice, but 4-19 was a bit tough to watch. She's had games like that where she's really struggled shooting particularly in the second half. It happens to the best of them though, just makes me think that her ceiling may depend on her improvement of her outside shot. I'm not sure if Osborne is completely healthy, and their offense just sputtered all game. I kinda feel like Jaquez should get more minutes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
On the UCLA side, I really like Kiki Rice, but 4-19 was a bit tough to watch. She's had games like that where she's really struggled shooting particularly in the second half. It happens to the best of them though, just makes me think that her ceiling may depend on her improvement of her outside shot. I'm not sure if Osborne is completely healthy, and their offense just sputtered all game. I kinda feel like Jaquez should get more minutes.
Osborne was playing great early in the year. She's been struggling lately. Like you said maybe not completely healthy? Jones has been coming on strong, she could be a future star for them.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, so while I do think from 1-12 the PAC12 is pretty good, they really only have 1 top 10 team (meaning top 3) and the next best are all 20-35 With maybe the exception of Utah, who at the moment is top 16 but not top 10 worthy. There is still a lot of season to go and during my watching of all the PAC games, USC maybe the one that is improving. Sorry to burst the Ducks delusional views but that team is not 25 wothry and certainly not top 16 hosting worthy. And yes, the Beavers do seem to play at the level of the opponent but yet always seem to lose. They most likely will miss the NCAAT this year.
i also have to say the regular Mark Campbell laments are getting tiresome and is what prompted me to post. Losing assistants to HC gigs is part of the evolution so please just stop. It’s year 3 now and Mark has only shown moderate success in the basketball Mecca of the Big Sky Conference so color me skeptical.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Net, RPI, and Massey all have Utah at #7 and you say they are not top 10 worthy? Tara picked Utah to win the PAC-12. Charlie has them as a two seed.

Reaction Score
While it's perplexing, at least he's taking on some accountability. Not all coaches will do that.
They played hard and maybe they deserved better than what I'm giving them right now."

I take it as Graves is admitting he is not giving them 100% in what they need. You can't say ever week that you should be coaching better.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Wahington up 67-65 over Stanford, 0:50 left.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
yell-timber.gif

Reaction Score
Stanford loses two conference games the game after ones I was worried about. Washington is better than their record, but Stanford shouldn’t have lost to them.

Tons of respect for Tara, but her teams tend to struggle playing close to slightly behind.

Stanford has some offensive issues, and Brink was feeling under the weather today. Stanford needs more offensive options. Brink with zero blocks and if Demetre doesn’t score 15 it could of been embarassing.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom