Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
How things drastically change after you make a post this season is something else. ;)
I don't think I've ever seen such a close correlation between a reporter and a complete reversal of whatever trend they just reported on :D

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I enjoy the PAC12 as much or more than most and make it a point to watch as many of these games as possible but the lack of an offensive scheme by so many of these schools has me banging my head. Washington-UCLA was 23-21 AT THE HALF! Cal-Arizona score 6 and 8 points each in the 4th quarte. The absolute “Homer cheering announcers” keep touting the defense yet all I see is dribble, dribble, dribble and poor shooting. In the Stanford game I watch Stanford miss a shot, Iriafen got the rebound and then proceeded to miss 4 SHOTS under the hoop before making one. And yes, @nwhoopfan ASU really is terrible. Adair needs to start recruiting at a P5 level soon otherwise she will be the cellar dwellar in the Big12 next year as well.

I have to keep reminding myself that College Coaching is all about 1. Recruiting 2. Recruiting 3. Coaching players to improve 4. Running a program 5. Actual X‘s and O’s for game management and the PAC12 has quite a few good at recruiting but not so good at #3 and #5….
Kiki was just padding her rebounding stats. :p

But seriously, I don't see how you can include Stanford in those who don't have an offensive scheme or who haven't coached players like Kiki to improve.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Very interesting weekend. Oregon St. has very much inserted themselves into the conference race, now sitting in 3rd place. Washington St. got a big win over UCLA and is tied w/ USC for 6th.

Reaction Score
Oregon is already in a 4 game losing streak and has Oregon State, Colorado, Utah, USC, UCLA next.
They would be 0-9 if they didn't pull through with close wins over Arizona and ASU.
Massive fall for a recently former Top 2, Final Four program.

Reaction Score
Wow, what is going on in Westwood? I've heard Cori Close give some talks on her coaching philosophy and it seems like there should be a good culture at UCLA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, what is going on in Westwood? I've heard Cori Close give some talks on her coaching philosophy and it seems like there should be a good culture at UCLA.
Nothing nefarious here. Anstey has experienced injury after injury throughout her tenure at UCLA. She had hip surgery before her junior year which limited her playing time last season. Chatted with her last October before the start of the this season. Izzy said she would not use her extra Covid year of eligibility - didn‘t want to continue to stress her body. Doesn’t have interest in a pro career and wants to transitíon to the next stage of her life. Really loves her team and the program.

Lauren Betts and Anstey share an apartment and they are quite close. Betts said Anstey helped her adjust to UCLA after transferring from Stanford. Izzy gives Lauren feedback and pointers during games. Lauren said Anstey is one of the smartest people she knows.

Reaction Score
Are you stirring the pot or being serious? I'd say before their revival this year he'd lost just about any cache he'd had from jump starting that program and getting them to the Final 4.
Yeah. I remember thinking that they had seriously underperformed last year compared to what I had expected from their talent level.

Reaction Score
Oregon is already in a 4 game losing streak and has Oregon State, Colorado, Utah, USC, UCLA next.
They would be 0-9 if they didn't pull through with close wins over Arizona and ASU.
Massive fall for a recently former Top 2, Final Four program.
When you have a cartoon character as a coach expect it.

1707362366270.jpeg
1707362408628.jpeg

Reaction Score
You just have to hand it to Rueck in being such a good coach. Even after some bad years he can come back this strong is impressive.
And even his worst years he still beats Graves teams. Unfortunately for the ducks

Reaction Score
You just have to hand it to Rueck in being such a good coach. Even after some bad years he can come back this strong is impressive.
And even his worst years he still beats Graves teams. Unfortunately for the ducks
And to think, last season folks had Rueck on the hot seat. Winning changes a lot.

Reaction Score
Your Beavs are my second favorite team! I hope they continue to upset some teams to end ultimate PAC 12 season. I wouldn't want to play them in the tourney.
Which team is your favorite?

Reaction Score
GO BEAVS!
They are so fun to watch. They play together, and they play like a veteran team. They never get too high or too low, and almost have like a next play/business approach to it. Down 7 with under 3 minutes and they just kept playing. TVO was great but everyone touched the ball and had moments. I hope Beers is ok.

Quick take on UCLA. I like how they played. Completely different team with Betts though I think Betts and UCLA took advantage of Beers being out. Cori Close tried everything. IDK if she over coached in the final 3 minutes. She took Dugalic out briefly. Then she took Betts out. Then she put Betts back in for the final defensive possession. I think it was the ball fake that kinda froze Rice but maybe if they went small with Jaquez and switched everything TVO isn't as open. Challenges of being a coach. In any event to me this isn't a bad loss for them. They looked more like the top 5 team that got off to such a great start.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Such an impressive performance by Oregon State, and all the more impressive for having done it without Beers, who I hope is okay and can return soon.

I'm loving that OSU is giving a triumphant parting middle finger to all the ship-jumpers who left them on the outside looking in after this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
3 way tie for 2nd place with Oregon St., USC and Colorado now. 2 games back of Stanford w/ 4 to play, would take a fairly big collapse by the Card to not win the final conference crown. Fitting I guess, since they've won most of them throughout the league's history.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom