Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Following up on that post, here is Ms. Nnaji's post:

She was a prime recruiting target at Stanford precisely because we knew she was very strongly academically inclined. And based on all my pre-med friends' experiences in undergrad, sophomore year is the toughest in terms of pre-med requirements, so this is probably not a huge surprise.

All that said, it's a true testament to Fran Bilibi that she was a starter for much of her time at Stanford, including during a national championship run, and yet also knocked it out of the park academically such that she's now a med student at the #1 med school in the country. Impressive kids, these.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Same here. I love watching her play as well. Pili is a joy to watch. She is just so even. Not too high or low emotionally. She just goes out there and plays.
She's the quintessential answer to the question, "if I could draft another team's player, who would I pick?"

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I didn't watch much of Pili at USC, but my recollection was that she was mostly a human battering ram. Somehow when she arrived at Utah she seemed to have added a whole lot of finesse, and fancy footwork, and 3 point shooting to her game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
She was a prime recruiting target at Stanford precisely because we knew she was very strongly academically inclined. And based on all my pre-med friends' experiences in undergrad, sophomore year is the toughest in terms of pre-med requirements, so this is probably not a huge surprise.

All that said, it's a true testament to Fran Bilibi that she was a starter for much of her time at Stanford, including during a national championship run, and yet also knocked it out of the park academically such that she's now a med student at the #1 med school in the country. Impressive kids, these.
Yes. In Maya's case, in one of the articles, Adia expounded that she was missing requirements like shadowing a physician and other such things due to basketball (and missing some practices as well).

I'm impressed to see athletes (such as Stanford often has had) that really do manage to excel at academics while playing basketball.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
By “missing,” I thought Comcast had overpaid but the schools couldn't find where they had actually received the overpayments. The question was whether the overpayments were in conference executive "folders." I never heard any resolution of the issue. Might have been a non-starter after a brief initial investigation. Maybe the schools themselves did "actually" receive all the overpayments. I just never heard any resolution.
Yes, the money was apparently distributed, each school received about $6 million too much.

Comcast is making themselves "whole" by withholding $58 million entirely and reducing current payments by $14 million. It will be finalized by the end of this fiscal year. The PAC dipped into their reserves to offset the losses, and apparently (although this isn't entirely clear) schools are seeing the reduced revenue, causing budget cuts.

Much of the detail I read is from a report on the PAC-12 commissioner Kliavkoff's sworn statement in a court process regarding the termination of the folks responsible for the fiasco.

Reaction Score
Oregon won it's fourth straight Sunday... all at home and against less than stellar opposition (Idaho, Portland State, Southern, UTSA). But have at least moved to 8-3.
Of note is that Priscilla Williams finally made her debut playing 22 minute and scoring 13 points. Quick, long defender at Guard, 2-5 from 3. Definitely a new weapon going forward depending on the current inscrutably foggy NCAA policy.

Reaction Score
Also Kelly Graves picked up his 600th career win. He’s just 60 this year so doubt retirement is in the cards.

Reaction Score
Oregon won it's fourth straight Sunday... all at home and against less than stellar opposition (Idaho, Portland State, Southern, UTSA). But have at least moved to 8-3.
Of note is that Priscilla Williams finally made her debut playing 22 minute and scoring 13 points. Quick, long defender at Guard, 2-5 from 3. Definitely a new weapon going forward depending on the current inscrutably foggy NCAA policy.
Believe she should be okay to play for the balance of the season. The NCAA put out something that indicated players will not lose their eligibility if they play this season while the court case is in progress.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Oregon loses to Utah Tech 92-86, a team that is rated by Massey at #226, Oregon is rated #53. Don't think they are going to the dance unless they win either the regular season conference title or the conference tournament.

Reaction Score
Oregon loses to Utah Tech 92-86, a team that is rated by Massey at #226, Oregon is rated #53. Don't think they are going to the dance unless they win either the regular season conference title or the conference tournament.
Geez. Seriously, what is going on there?

Reaction Score
Just wanted to shout out Oregon State who is now 9-0 after last night. TVO who I was a bit worried about, has scored double figures the past three games and is starting to find a rhythm. Reagan Beers is one of my favorite players in the country, and she continues to have a strong sophomore year. I was thinking, the Pac 12 has the best bigs in the country. It's going to be fun to watch Beers go against Betts, Pili, Vonleh, Brink, Vanslooten, Bella.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's going to be fun to watch Beers go against Betts, Pili, Vonleh, Brink, Vanslooten, Bella.
She's been inconsistent so far this season, but Daniels from UW is pretty decent as well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's being reported Oregon St. and Washington St. will join the WCC as associate members for 2 years in all sports other than football/baseball.

Reaction Score
It's being reported Oregon St. and Washington St. will join the WCC as associate members for 2 years in all sports other than football/baseball.
Is Oregon State gonna try flying solo in baseball? They have a strong rep

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What has happened to Charlisse Leger-Walker? She seems to have regressed significantly this season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What has happened to Charlisse Leger-Walker? She seems to have regressed significantly this season.a
Definitely. I think she has 2 triple doubles and just missed 1 today, so she's stat sheet stuffing. But scoring is way down. She's never been a particularly efficient scorer, but her shooting % are probably down a bit this season.

Reaction Score
utah Tech‘s home tournament. They hit 21 (of 31 ) from 3. 63 points! Pretty insane. Graves should have played a smaller line up (no Kyei) and gone man to man the whole game.
Oregon plays Ok State today then opens @Oregon State, @ UCLA , and @ USC before they have a CHANCE to win with AZ and ASU at home. Not looking good.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Over the past few days I started digging into the imbalanced conference schedules to get a sense of which teams drew the shorter or longer straws.

In the Pac-12, if we take our top 5 as UCLA, Stanford, Utah, USC and Colorado, then it appears that Stanford and Cal drew the lightest schedules since they play UCLA/USC and Utah/Colorado only once each.

The Oregon schools, meanwhile, seem to have drawn the most difficult schedule since they are the only pairing to play each of the top 5 teams twice each.

I'm still in a state of bewilderment that the Pac-12 is in its swan song. But it appears to be ending on a high note. I won't be at all surprised if the conference gets 9 teams in the NCAA tournament and 5 teams in the top 16. Way too early to know how that will shake out, but it'll be fun to watch one last time.

Reaction Score
Plenty of season left. If the Ducks don't make the Dance, they are cool with the WNIT. That Utah game hurt and did not look good but, like I said, plenty of season left.

Reaction Score
I have watched that game four times and I am still shocked but not surprised that Oregon lost that game against Utah Tech. Utah was just in a shooting zone that game and when you are shooting, especially from 3-point range, 80%, you are going to win. Then throw in their 2-3 trapping zone defense that Oregon had trouble with, you got a recipe for wins. The good part, the Ducks were able to bounce back against Oklahoma State and get the win.

Reaction Score
With all the freshman talk this year, how is Cunningham doing?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom