Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook

Reaction Score
What do the four best teams (UCLA, USC, COLORADO, UTAH) in the conference all have in common? Each of them plays Stanford only one time. Hence, Stanford has the EASIEST SCHEDULE IN THE CONFERENCE. Sure, Cal plays the same 4 teams only one time as well, but Cal plays Stanford twice, which makes their schedule harder than Stanford's. As if Stanford doesn't have enough built-in advantages already. WHAT A JOKE!!!! I bet one would have a hard time finding a similar schedule in the past where one top 5 wbb team in the pac12 was gifted such a lopsided advantage in scheduling compared to the other 4 (or the other 11 teams as well).

Reaction Score
Was last night’s attendance for UCLA/SoCal (13,569) a record for attendance at a PAC conference wbb game?

Reaction Score
Was last night’s attendance for UCLA/SoCal (13,569) a record for attendance at a PAC conference wbb game?
Cal v Stanford had 10,525 in 2008....a sell-out at Haas...at the time a Pac-10 record....I think Utah Colorado yesterday had 7,000+....seems like USC-UCLA yesterday could well be a record.

Reaction Score
PAC-12 is crazy deep this season. I watched Cal play this weekend, and they are not the same Cal we've seen over the past few years. No question, UCLA, Stanford, and Colorado are the current cream of the crop. But I still believe it will be a near impossibility for any team to go undefeated in PAC-12.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
PAC-12 is crazy deep this season. I watched Cal play this weekend, and they are not the same Cal we've seen over the past few years. No question, UCLA, Stanford, and Colorado are the current cream of the crop. But I still believe it will be a near impossibility for any team to go undefeated in PAC-12.
No one is running the table in this conference. I would bet my next brisket meal at Pinkerton's on the fact that the Pac-12 winner will have at least 2 losses, and the number could easily be 3 or 4.

Ten of 12 are now in the NET top 50 and have a legit shot at an at-large bid. I don't know if it's possible for all 10 to get in because there are only so many wins to go around, but 9 is certainly very feasible.

The only truly lost cause is ASU, who may not win a game. Oregon won't be postseason eligible but their upside is high enough that they could play spoiler.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Utah's Pili and Coach Roberts Over (Non) Calls Following Loss to Stanford

Felt refs didn't both reviewing a potential shot-clock violation and called a foul a jump ball. And still miffed at calls at Arizona last week. Team stands at 1-3 so far in Pac play. Here's an article. Did anyone see said games? Reactions?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Felt refs didn't both reviewing a potential shot-clock violation and called a foul a jump ball. And still miffed at calls at Arizona last week. Team stands at 1-3 so far in Pac play. Here's an article. Did anyone see said games? Reactions?

Not sure they can do anything about the foul/jump call, however not reviewing a potential shot clock violation late in the game is egregious.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have to say, the refereeing in the PAC 12 has been atrocious the past two weeks, when the "Homer" announcers are stating on the air that the refs missed call after call on their home team, you know it's bad. To miss that shot clock violation, not review it and then to call a jump ball when the pass was given to Brink and then to miss a blatant foul on Pili's drive to the hoop are 3 consecutive calls in a row that are among the worst I have seen in a long, long time. After what happened Sunday to Utah in Arizona, Lynne and her Therapist will have a lot of items to work through....

Reaction Score

I did. Those last three calls really ruined what I thought had been an entertaining game. And they happened one after the other with less than 2 minutes to go in the game. Like BRS24 noted, I thought the shot clock was a situation where it could have been reviewed.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I did. Those last three calls really ruined what I thought had been an entertaining game. And they happened one after the other with less than 2 minutes to go in the game. Like BRS24 noted, I thought the shot clock was a situation where it could have been reviewed.
If you want a close dissection of a bunch of bad calls (mostly in favor of Utah and against Stanford), this thread from our fan board may be of interest: WBB: Stanford @ Utah, Friday 5pm

But the TL;DR is that if it's not a foul and there's not a basket, the play isn't reviewable under the rules, because they just play on. So the reason the Utah shot clock violation was reviewed was because they scored and that could be undone at the next TO or media To - but once they play on on a missed shot, there's nothing really that the refs can "do" about it.

So you may think they should have called it at the outset, but my understanding is that the play could not be reviewed.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If you want a close dissection of a bunch of bad calls (mostly in favor of Utah and against Stanford), this thread from our fan board may be of interest: WBB: Stanford @ Utah, Friday 5pm

But the TL;DR is that if it's not a foul and there's not a basket, the play isn't reviewable under the rules, because they just play on. So the reason the Utah shot clock violation was reviewed was because they scored and that could be undone at the next TO or media To - but once they play on on a missed shot, there's nothing really that the refs can "do" about it.

So you may think they should have called it at the outset, but my understanding is that the play could not be reviewed.
Thanks for the link. Cogent explanation by your board poster.

Even if they played it "right," the rules -- which are a mishmash of if's and when's -- should be more geared to getting it right and tight for the players.

BTW...I'd be saying this if Stanford was on the other end...but you know that. ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Apparently Oregon St. vs. Arizona St. will happen tomorrow as scheduled, but no fans. Expected bad road conditions. That will be weird. Like 2020 all over again. Hopefully they don't have to count this game for their attendance figures.

Reaction Score
Apparently Oregon St. vs. Arizona St. will happen tomorrow as scheduled, but no fans. Expected bad road conditions. That will be weird. Like 2020 all over again. Hopefully they don't have to count this game for their attendance figures.

Weather conditions are crazy all over North America. Canada has their own weather challenges straight across the country. Energy conservation notices have gone out in one province. Others dealing with high winds and lake effect snow making travel unsafe.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Weather conditions are crazy all over North America. Canada has their own weather challenges straight across the country. Energy conservation notices have gone out in one province. Others dealing with high winds and lake effect snow making travel unsafe.
I didn't look at the forecast for Corvallis. I know Portland is infamous for getting freezing rain that makes everything treacherous.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Great games this weekend. Hope to see our PAC-12 thread get some activity. Our participation is lame compared to the other conference threads.:p
Ha that doesn't seem right! Maybe it's because when you know you're the best you don't need to say it? ;)

I've been looking forward to this week's matchups. The 4 that jump off the page to me are UCLA/USC visiting Colorado/Utah. There are other so-called power conferences that go an entire month without having 4 matchups of that caliber.

Oregon State at Stanford is also a juicy one. Hopefully our Tree and Beaver fans will have lots to say about this one!

Reaction Score
I usually comment in the weekly thread for games the week of..., rather than in the individual conference threads.

Absolutely. I just want to talk about games in one thread. Dont want to have shuffle through multiple threads.

Reaction Score
I have to say, the refereeing in the PAC 12 has been atrocious the past two weeks, when the "Homer" announcers are stating on the air that the refs missed call after call on their home team, you know it's bad. To miss that shot clock violation, not review it and then to call a jump ball when the pass was given to Brink and then to miss a blatant foul on Pili's drive to the hoop are 3 consecutive calls in a row that are among the worst I have seen in a long, long time. After what happened Sunday to Utah in Arizona, Lynne and her Therapist will have a lot of items to work through....
Unfortunately terrible calls in women's basketball are becoming the norm in all conferences not just the Pac12. The list is too long but the most recent is Georgia Amoore catching a flying elbow that cost Virginia Tech the game and maybe put her in concussion protocol. A similar one was ND's Westbeld getting head butted by Pitt's King which put her into concussion protocol and now she's wearing a mask for who knows how long. To put the icing on that one Westbeld was called for a foul to add insult to injury.

I don't know what to do about but the P5 soon to be P4 need to train better, select better, and pay good officials better or watch the injuries pile up.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. I just want to talk about games in one thread. Dont want to have shuffle through multiple threads.

I usually comment in the weekly thread for games the week of..., rather than in the individual conference threads.
If you have origins within the PAC-12, expectations are that you can post in both threads :). "Come on MAN", we're the Conference of Champions!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately terrible calls in women's basketball are becoming the norm in all conferences not just the Pac12. The list is too long but the most recent is Georgia Amoore catching a flying elbow that cost Virginia Tech the game and maybe put her in concussion protocol. A similar one was ND's Westbeld getting head butted by Pitt's King which put her into concussion protocol and now she's wearing a mask for who knows how long. To put the icing on that one Westbeld was called for a foul to add insult to injury.

I don't know what to do about but the P5 soon to be P4 need to train better, select better, and pay good officials better or watch the injuries pile up.

It wasn't a flying elbow. The players were in a scrum and the way Amoore ended up on the floor left her prone unfortunately.
Donovan was trying to tie up the ball like everyone else in that pile.

Agree that the refs should have called the tie up sooner. Not sure if it would have prevented what happened however with how the players ended up on the floor.

Reaction Score
It wasn't a flying elbow. The players were in a scrum and the way Amoore ended up on the floor left her prone unfortunately.
Donovan was trying to tie up the ball like everyone else in that pile.

Agree that the refs should have called the tie up sooner. Not sure if it would have prevented what happened however with how the players ended up on the floor.
Ok. It was an elbow that went back for the ball and hit Amoore square in the face. I don't think there was any intent but then most fouls don't. I have seldom seen it called unless there's more back and forth but it could fit section 6 article 7.

But I do agree there was no intent so it should fit the basketball play section.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Well...only took 6 games into conference play for everybody to have at least 1 loss. There will be more coming for everybody.
Massey thought minimum conference losses was Stanford with 3.5, and we have an extremely favorable schedule...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom